Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I don’t care what Scale you model in! I don’t care if you model railways from the East side of the Atlantic Ocean, east or west of the River Nile or the railroads of Japan or the Northern American continent.
what I am saying is and feel 95% of the modelers on here would agree with me. We are modelers, global modelers and all railroad type modeling is to be welcome here.

Post pictures of your RR models and associated stuff and all is good.

Tom
Yeah, I will, just haven't run much of anything in the last few months.

Sherrel, PEX has been used in Europe for decades so it must be good.
Yep, all modern houses here use PEX, cheaper than copper pipe and easier to install, (it will also bend 90 degrees), expands and contracts, so less likely to split and burst under extreme temperature changes, used for both hot and cold water supplies, plus, so simple to connect, anyone can do it.

Last edited:
, so simple to connect, anyone can do it.
41226950.jpg

Still morning here; so good morning!
We are having a trick warm-up with temps at -5F. It's one nature's tricks, because she's just luring us outside to play, and then she'll drop the bomb. Come Christmas, the forecast is for something in the -30's.

I'm only in here for a quick coffee and to share what I did this morning. The wife wants to do something this afternoon.
I put a roof on my Cafe'. Something simple; painted 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper cut into 1/2" strips.:
12-20-2021_1.jpg

Plus, I put some paint on a few figures. I have an Atlas nurse turned waitress, and a policeman turned someone else.
This is just first coat. I'll have to touch up on another day:
12-20-2021_2.jpg

The close-up really picks out what needs touch-up.

Anyway, the wife is already getting impatient. So I'd better git.
Have a great day!

Hi, Me again.
Well today was not a good day, couldn't keep my hands from shaking, got so little done Haven't done any work on the either the GP30, or the 424, still waiting on parts. Wanted to do some painting on the GP30, but that was a none starter as well.
This morning the new storage box arrived for HO coaches and wagons, (note to self, order another one for the Loco's.)
made it up and added the padding, and then all the wagons that don't have boxes.
20211220_180237.jpg

Tried to make up some bits and pieces for the scenery, didn't get far as you can see, so binned it for today, maybe tomorrow, we'll see.
20211220_180206.jpg

G'nite

In my existence here on Earth - I have done sooo much plumbing that I should have a license?
However, I have never used PEX ... WTF ... is it put together with clamps -- no wrenches, no threaded couplings involved?
Help me here?
Pex is a newer plastic pipe version.

It's joined by either crimped connectors (got another $100 or so for the tools to do such?)

Or, you can purchase sharkbite® fittings. I'm using the sharkbite stuff. More expensive than the crimp connectors, but good for not having to stock a bunch of stuff and tools

Here's a vid on PEX

Greg that Soo Caboose looks tired. Did you weather it?
Yes, I weathered that SOO Line caboose to make a rust bucket. I have another one weathered by well know Steve Hurt of Ohio and I wanted one more beat up caboose.

I made some minor changes to the caboose that I weathered. I installed a flashing red strobe at the rear of the car and the lettering SOO LINE are much larger than the prototype letters. Both cabooses started out as Athearn BB models.

IMG_0453.JPG

Greg

Boris, I have had a few regrets for not purchasing something over the years.

My best regrets was not buying my Grandparents home in Bay View, Wisconsin (actually now part of Milwaukee). It was a pre-WWI, Milwaukee two story, two family home (across from Humboldt Park) with plenty of built in wood work and the upper unit was a one bedroom with three walk in closets and a walk in pantry off the kitchen that wasn't heated and served as a winter cooler. It also had a large living room, dining room with a seating area and a large kitchen.
Downstairs was a three bedroom unit with a dining room and large kitchen.

But, the other feature of the house was a 1800's bar and back bar that my Grandfather somehow obtained during his days as a moonshiner in the Menomonee Valley of Milwaukee (the location of the large Milwaukee Road yards). He sold his goods to some of speak easy bars and taverns still operating during the dry days. It was hand craved and rich in details. He had to remove part of the basement wall from the alley side to slip the back bar into the finished basement. I had seen back bars like this one sell for over $30,000! Near the price of the house.

My Mother sold the house and bar bar and all the furnishings for $34,000 in 1969.

Mistake number two was not buying three shares of Berkshire Hathaway when it was under $500.00 a share!

Greg

Last edited:
Greg - It appears that your bar is going to get a lot of use coming up if the Packers stay on track. As I recall, it's in the Packer Room?
Willie: You are correct. Cathy my wife is a huge football fan and even stayed up last night to watch Tampa Bay get beat since she isn't a Tom Brady fan. She has met every Packer QB from Bart Starr to Brett Favre and even rubbed elbows will Packer President Mark Murphy at the induction of Favre to the Football Hall of Fame.

She is going to the Packer game in Green Bay on Christmas and if the Pack goes to the Super Bowl, the room will get lots of use.

The stories could go on.

Greg

Afternoon All,

Spent most of the day in the train room and was able to get most things done on the last section including a dirt access road and parking lot. It needs to sit overnight before I weather it and detail it. Hopefully I'll clean the track tomorrow also. I was wrapping the wife's gifts and she came in the bedroom after I unlocked the door and asked what I was doing. It was obvious but I said I'm wrapping your gifts, she says good, don't touch any other gifts-You s**k at wrapping presents. 😒

Joe- Thank you for your thoughts. Pretty tree. I showed MOH the quilt on the wall (she's a quilter).

TomO- Nice assortment of photos. You never know what the future holds after making major decisions. The more modelers the merrier.

Mike- I'm always fascinated by modeled snow scenes, and it looks great.

Smudge- Nice job on the boxes.

Karl- Nice Christmas photos and neat little loco.

Troy- Aren't major home improvement projects wonderful? I'm lucky to have a Lowes about 10 minutes away.

James- That's good news.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Willie: You are correct. Cathy my wife is a huge football fan and even stayed up last night to watch Tampa Bay get beat since she isn't a Tom Brady fan. She has met every Packer QB from Bart Starr to Brett Favre and even rubbed elbows will Packer President Mark Murphy at the induction of Favre to the Football Hall of Fame.

She is going to the Packer game in Green Bay on Christmas and if the Pack goes to the Super Bowl, the room will get lots of use.

The stories could go on.

Greg

I have been a Packer fan since the day I step foot on the field in Lambeau.....it was in 1974. I love the team and always have even though I never agreed with some the shenanigans that NFL has been doing and has done in the past. I love the fact the Packers are the only team in all of the NFL franchise that is not owned by corporate or other entity other than the people who love the packers! I have so many memories on that field during season and off season. So many players and autographs. I even had my green 5 speed Manta Ray Schwinn bike autographed too back then. So many cool memories....

The Packers are the only publicly owned franchise in the NFL.[1] Rather than being the property of an individual, partnership, or corporate entity, they are held as of 2021 by 361,300 stockholders. No one is allowed to hold more than 200,000 shares,[2] which represents approximately four percent of the 5,011,558 shares currently outstanding.[3] It is this broad-based community support and non-profit structure[4] which has kept the team in Green Bay for over a century in spite of being the smallest market in all of North American major professional sports.[a]

Green Bay is the only team with this public form of ownership structure in the NFL, grandfathered when the NFL's current ownership policy stipulating a maximum of 32 owners per team, with one holding a minimum 30% stake, was established in the 1980s.[5] As a publicly held nonprofit, the Packers are also the only North American major league sports franchise to release its financial balance sheet every year.[a]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back