Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Milwaukee Road 113- I used Cal Scale Number Boards. They are brass and come in 2 sizes I believe I used the larger size but not sure about that.

IMG_1549_zps7e9b6905.jpg

Milkwakee: I liked the pictures of the More modern Box cab with the Pantagraph for the over head pickup. An old friend Riff Riffell many years back made his own Overhead Catinairy Lines [I believe that's what their called?] so he could run the European electrics on the same rail as the standard HO and control each seperatly. Rather unique I thought.

MILW 113 ..... As Curt said, Cal Scale sells number boards. There is at least one other detail manufacturer too that makes number boards. My units have class marker lights by Cal Scale at the front ends.

Much obliged gentlemen! I've found that Detail Associates, if I remember correctly, makes Alco number boards in plastic, gonna buy a set, to see if it's possible to hollow them out, to light them up...
That's a terrible tragedy! I know that I'm knew to this forum and that I'm learning everybody's name etc., even so, not even met nor will I ever likely meet the grieving families, but please forward my deepest, most sincere and heartfelt sympathies to them...:(

IMG_91377018299365_zps5e9tbazf.jpg

Garry, RS3? Alco that was on ebay was a Roundhouse and I not sure how it would have compared with your Kato's which I think might be a better Loco?

Anyway, they are way too new for my earlier time frame which you used to be in also as I recall. I was somewhat thinking of buying the Alco to test out any new smaller layout I might build for sale over the Christmas Holidays which I have been toying around with doing.

COFFEE_SIGN.png

Good Morning! Today is Mon 11/3/14.

Windy, partly cloudy with a high of 60. Working around the house, today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning gents. Temperature is hovering around the freezing mark under partly cloudy skies here in central MD.

Garry - that's horrible news! I don't know the details of the murders, but even one is too many, especially when you live in a quiet town that is unaccustomed to serious crime.

Terry - bummer about your BLI steamers, but glad to hear your wife is continuing to improve.

David - it looks like your area is finally getting some rain, hasn't there been a draught there for the past few years?

Jan - I see your Alco collection continues to grow.

I finally got started on the post-ballasting cleanup of the track. Turns out the biggest threat isn't the presence of glue on the tracks - that is easily wiped off with 91% iso - but rather, water-induced wrinkling of the underlying cork roadbed. I spent more than two hours yesterday trying to fix a problem where my loco kept 'hopping' over a curved point rail, so I soaked the ballast in 91% to loosen the track and try to level it out, but the problem persisted. Since my LHS has Sunday hours, I dashed out to get a replacement for this #4 turnout so I'd have it if I needed it. After I got home with the replacement turnout and removed the Caboose Industries ground throw, I tested the turnout one more time - and it worked! Apparently the turnout got elevated by the distorted cork roadbed and the throwbar was being pulled downward by the ground throw, causing the top surface of the point rail to sit lower than the adjoining stock rail - hence the "climbing" behavior! [Eventually I'll replace that #4 with a #6 from my FastTracks jig, but that will require me to revise the spur track and I just want to get back to running trains for now.]

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a '69 Chevelle and a 69 Impala. The Chevelle was bought brand new but the Impala was a restoration project. Here are two of my babies. The black '59 Impala is a frame off rebuild, not quite stock. The suspension, brakes and steering has been upgraded along with the original six banger being replaced with an engine out of an unfortunate C06 Corvette, which is coupled to a 6 speed manual transmission. It has been put away for the winter in a nice temperature controlled shop. The white Bel-Air is a daily driver. It has also had the brakes, suspension and steering upgraded and it is powered by a 350 crate motor with a 5 speed manual transmission. It's a daily driver IF the weather is nice.

attachment.php
asset.php

I did get a better price on a new Ford Fusion in Butte so I will head to town later to see if I can do some horse trading. The happen to have a fusion in the exact color I am interested in and the exact equipment packaged.

I custom painted a couple of O scale Little Joes years ago for an O scale brass collector. They looked great and some of his custom painted Milwaukee brass is on display in the old NP depot in Livingston, MT which is now a museum. Love the Little Joes.

More Little Joes.

attachment.php
attachment.php
The second picture was taken in Deer Lodge. Visited relatives there yesterday. The first was taken near Garrison Junction. The third is leaving Butte, and the last is entering Avery, ID.

attachment.php
attachment.php

......and a few more Little Joes..

8086.1384043535_zpsnku7xci4.jpg

MILW Little Joe electric E73 catches some ZZZZs in the Deer Lodge roundhouse on Aug. 4, 1973.

4176.1384043307_zps1q3erq0s.jpg

Hanging around MILW's roundhouse at Deer Lodge, Mont. on Aug. 4, 1973 was Little Joe E76 at left, Little Joes E20 and E78 setting behind electric rotary snowplow X900212 and retired box cab E25A at right. Too soon, none of them would ever be called back on duty nor would jumbled flat car loads of lumber have to be straightened at Deer Lodge.

4507.1079462160_zpsys34fub3.jpg

Milwaukee Road E70 East rounds a curve at Drexel, Montana.

Howdy y'all
Iffn you have Satellite TV ,RFD has CPR 2816 Hudson being worked on. Thats 345 on the dial.
Enjoy.
Prayers for all.
Phil

Evening All,

Other than going to Chiro earlier today I have sat on my butt all day. It was a nice recovery day after this weekend. I early voted so I don't have to fight that mess tomorrow. Oh I did "plant" about 20 trees on the layout today around the new work.

Phil- I always watch it later because Kathy does not like the show. I know I can't believe it either!

Pennsy P5 Electric

8180_1295659931_zps60d7e3ac.jpg

Modified P5

2586_1295580051_zpsb07b5d84.jpg

Hope everyone has a good night.

CURT- When I watch it, Deb gets one of her books and reads.
Glad you had a day of rest and could work on the layout.
Phil

Evening y'all. Did some more post-ballast track cleaning, this time in the main yard. Good news is, I was able to get one of my fussiest locos to smoothly traverse the entire length of cleaned track. Bad news: I had to do a helluva lot of scrubbing with 91% iso to get off all the dust and spilled glue, took ~ an hour to clean 12ft of track. This just goes to prove that applying the ballast is only half the job.

There seems to be a new trend, showing photos of locos of our favorite RR's. Here's one I found in the RailPictures database:

9555.1179288000.jpg

G'night!

Last edited by a moderator:
Something heard in this retirement home and mainly from me when the phone rings is 'Joe's crab shack, we got legs!'. It frequently gets a laugh.

Back