Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Damn terry dcc just seems to have more
Issues then DC, must be more sensitive , but hey look at the bright
Side you have a .....perfect j coming in the mail
Sometime this year ( eyeroll) ;)
I was even notified there is even now a tracking number! I don't want to say any more about it, because I may already be a wiener!
I mean, winner...

Good moring. .... I like the photos of Alcos. I noticed the canvas sunshade on the MILW Alco.

Speaking of Alcos, I have a pair of RS3's detailed for Northern Pacific.

NPRS3a_zps859684d1.jpg

NPRS3soil_zpsd389e061.jpg

Lunch was almost a disaster for me. A pineapple type dessert turned out to also have have banana slices in it. I'm allergic to bananas. The kitchen staff then offered cherry pie as a replacement. Can't have that either!

Hey Jeffery,

I am really happy to read your posts, can't wait until you get back home and can post more pictures, I miss your pictures.

Good job spotting the bananas before it was too late.

I see from yesterdays post you are a college football fan, what do you think of the new playoff system?

Hey Jeffery,

I am really happy to read your posts, can't wait until you get back home and can post more pictures, I miss your pictures.

Good job spotting the bananas before it was too late.

I see from yesterdays post you are a college football fan, what do you think of the new playoff system?
I don't like it.

Evening All,

The tile laying is complete. Worked from 9 AM-5 PM at daughters house. Tomorrow SIL will grout it and sometime later in the week I will help him put the shower door on and change out the toilet. Then some paint and it is a wrap. After this weekend I am definitely going to see my Chiro tomorrow.

Milwaukee Road 113- I used Cal Scale Number Boards. They are brass and come in 2 sizes I believe I used the larger size but not sure about that.

IMG_1549_zps7e9b6905.jpg

Hope everybody has a good night.

Jeffery, I don't follow college sports any more. I have been losing interest for years and the final straw was Maryland leaving the ACC.

I was just curious to see what a real fan thought of the new playoff system.

Ravens @ Pittsburgh tonight! Thank God for the DVR, the game starts after my bed time.

Good night everybody!

Good evening. It's clear and 36.

My BLI steam woes continue. After I packed up my GS4 in its box to send back to Florida tomorrow, I pulled out my I1Sa for the first time in a couple months, and started operations with it. After about 10 minutes, the smoke unit fan died--again. This is the fifth time this engine will be going back to BLI for repair. It has had a decoder replacement, smoke unit replaced, smoke unit fan replaced, boiler shell replaced along with another smoke unit fan replaced, and now another smoke unit fan replacement. I really like steam as much as the next guy, but I'm pretty much over it with all the electronic and electrical stuff failing.
Not to be left out, I bumped the front handrail on my Intermountain SD40-2, and the handrail broke into four pieces. At least it can be fixed with some CA. Sigh...

I've heard that the IM handrails are brittle. Hope the CA works, haven't had much success with it on some plastic h/rails. Found a Selleys "All Plastic and Toy Glue" that has felt tip pen primer that you wipe on the joints first and then apply a spot of the glue to one side. Not quite as quick setting as CA but stuck the broken one on an Athearn (thin part of the rail).

I'm having a blast...
At least my wife seems to be improving. Her PT person wants to start her on a cane next week, at least within the house.

Good evening. It's clear and 36.

My BLI steam woes continue. After I packed up my GS4 in its box to send back to Florida tomorrow, I pulled out my I1Sa for the first time in a couple months, and started operations with it. After about 10 minutes, the smoke unit fan died--again. This is the fifth time this engine will be going back to BLI for repair. It has had a decoder replacement, smoke unit replaced, smoke unit fan replaced, boiler shell replaced along with another smoke unit fan replaced, and now another smoke unit fan replacement. I really like steam as much as the next guy, but I'm pretty much over it with all the electronic and electrical stuff failing.
Not to be left out, I bumped the front handrail on my Intermountain SD40-2, and the handrail broke into four pieces. At least it can be fixed with some CA. Sigh...

Terry
Sorry to hear of your steam engine woes. Steam, just by nature of all its moving parts is less reliable than diesels, but don't give up on it. Maybe you should redirect your wants & needs a little, and find a different source. Ditch the plastic steam, and go for some "heavy metal". No not brass, but Mantua, Penn Line or Bowser. They pull like mad, remotoring with Helix humpers is a snap, can be detailed to the max. and have plenty of room in the tenders for sound. They also cost less than brass. Yeah, there is the smoke issue, as the smoke for these things are just Seuthe units. Personally, the smoke stuff really screws with my sinuses, so I leave it off in units that have it.

97and99.jpg
These 2 Little guys have sound (Sakura=LokSound & Mantua=Micro Tsunami)

GSMTS 0609 023.jpg

As well as this 46 year young Mantua Pacific (Tsunami)

Mikado+painted+002.jpg

And this Mikado I completed last year (Tsunami)

IMG_0458.JPG

Or the PennLine Atlantic (Soundtraxx LC)

The point is you do not have to take this lying down, and you don't have to go brass either!! (Even though I do love my brass.) And these engines don't give that instant gratification that opening a pretty box to reveal and even prettier engine. But what they will give you years of good service plus the satisfaction of a job well done.

I'm just sayin ;)

I could probably dig out the Penn Line Pacific that Lew English and I built the summer I was 9. Last I remember, it was all there, but didn't run all that great with the OEM DC71 motor.
I've been getting away from the old stuff like Mantua and Penn Line, as it is getting really tough to find "good", complete examples.

Terry- Good to hear about your wife. Sorry to hear about your continuing BLI woes. I have owned 7 BLI steamers and I am down to 2 now. Of the 7, I had to have 5 repaired by BLI for one problem or another. I will say that when I got them back from repair I never had any more issues with them, and only sold them because of their size and the radius size on my layout.

Good afternoon/evening all,
Hi Francine, how's my favorite Dark haired waitress, did that actually make you blush, Omg. Anyway I have some coffee to start with some of the Hazelnut creme if you have some? Oh, good. You know I'll have whatever the special is for dinner. Roast Beef, mashed potatoes, Spinach & my choice of desert. Wow, that sounds Yummy! Bring it on.

nner2Jpg_zps0d339a7_edit_1402885940537_zps5pkmjwsv.jpg

It now 7:00Pm, the high was 62 °F and the temp is: 47.5 °F -Feels Like 48 °F, Humidity is 79%, Winds 2.7 from the ESE. Tonight's low 40 °F so it getting fairly chilly! It can snowf at 36 °F to 38 °F but fortunately for my area there is no rain/snow in sight.

I was fairly busy yesterday, Sat, hence no contact with the forum, as it rained fairly good Friday night up until about 9:30 Am on Sat. with a total of 1.82". I found I had three leaks I needed to attend to so that's what I did Sat. afternoon. I wound up cutting a total of 48 tarr paper patches, about 12"sx12-14"s long and made 4 trips up and down from my roof trying to correct where the leak might be coming from. So I was fairly beat after that but after I rested a bit in the evening I realized it was getting fairly cold due to all the moisture in the air so I went around and closed all the ceiling vents from the cooler on the roof and covered them over with the same stick on plastic covers I used last year. I think most are holding.

Jeffrey: Glad to hear/read your doing so well, I'll have to give you credit!

Garry: Always good to see shots of your layout, I almost bid on a Roundhouse Alco like yours on ebay but it for different Road.

Curt: I always seeing shots of your layout too, you guys spur me along to get going on mine which I need to do shortly tonight.

Milkwakee: I liked the pictures of the More modern Box cab with the Pantagraph for the over head pickup. An old friend Riff Riffell many years back made his own Overhead Catinairy Lines [I believe that's what their called?] so he could run the European electrics on the same rail as the standard HO and control each seperatly. Rather unique I thought.

With all the new advances that are being made with our model trains I figured there should be an APP available for individuals like me who are still using 'DC' to allow me to blow the whistle and ring the bell when I wanted too especially to actually blow the Whistle as desired to create the actual codes in either, 'short or long' to enhance the actual operation of running my railroad. [Well, I could do more operation if I'd clear a number of cars and loco's of my main line. So I need to connect to a few more spurs to hold the extra cars & Locos] Anyway one of the new things for me is an APP I downloaded for my Android cell phone called, 'Railroad Companion', which not only gives me the ability to blow the Whistle in both, Short & Long but also three different tones so I can actually cross talk between loco's such as when double heading. It's really unique and I can attach the cell phone to my Crest Radio hand throttle and have both handy and ready to use. The same program also has Diesel sounds, bell and horn in the same configurations. There is also break sounds and others plus an All- -Aborad for passenger service. It's a very neat program and only $1.99 to download if I remember correctly!

Next I'm hoping Woodland Scenics will come out with an enhanced program for their inventory program that will allow for a pick-up and delivery schedule to be created as it should be a fairly easy thing to do since a guy would already have his roster of equipment loaded into their data base inventory program to begin with.

Oh, I won the bid on a few items on ebay and one of them was another little Teakettle so I would have two that are both 'DC' and will function together to double head with.

irpumpaddedenhanced-Reszed964x7231-Jpg_zpsa92a40fb.jpg

That's it for now, oo or toot-toot for 10-4!

Here's a parting shot.

lacksmithCar-ExprtdJpg-Reszd1264x948-1_zps008c8ce7.jpg

MILW 113 ..... As Curt said, Cal Scale sells number boards. There is at least one other detail manufacturer too that makes number boards. My units have class marker lights by Cal Scale at the front ends.

David ... My RS3's are Atlas / Kato models. They are selling on eBay at reasonable prices now. The drives run very smoothly.

Karl .... I like the steam locomotives.

Our little community in KY is grieving and in shock from a quadruple murder last week. Funeral today for 3 victims who were in same family filled the high school auditorium. The other victim is a non-family member who lived in another town. State police arrested a suspect. This town is really sad now.

Back