Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIX

Cool. I could tell by when the boxcars enter the curve. As the lead one leans in you can see the upper right corner of the front end of the next one behind. At first I thought you might have a dip. But then every one of them did exactly the same lean, then I notice the track.
Must be one of those 40" R turns you like so much. :D
I think part of it might be the 22 degree banking on some parts of the layout. We're in the process of ripping those curves out, and making it something you might expect to see on a real railroad. One section, over half of the total area, has been completely removed.
Here's a video of one of the more extreme parts of the club layout. The grade was nearly 6%, before factoring in curvature. Toward the end of the video, you can see the cars lean waaaayyy over away from the camera. That's how over-superelevated the curves were there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs_Hjiak4X8

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, good morning. It's gloomy and 57. Supposed to tap the 80 degree mark today. Between that, and the high humidity, we're all going to be miserable here.

Good morning all, it really cooled off after the strong winds yesterday...22 degrees and cloudy. Supposed to top out in the low 40's for a few days now. It is on the dry side as well, several grass fires reported yesterday.

Being Good Friday, there seems to be a shadow just under the surface of everything...

Good Morning. 61°, and overcast, with intermittent rain showers.

Good Friday, is a day of reflection and quiet.

I really don't have much planned for today.

"CA type cement" ??
I'm doing a little stuff on my fueling station. I'm suppose to glue a piece of wire (with insulation on simulating hoses) to a piece "using a CA type cement".
What exactly is that?
Rubber cement?

For anyone who has built this Walthers Cornerstone kit #933-2908, how did you handle the base when you have your track put down?
Of course I'll have to pull it up, take out the cork road bed and put the base and re-lay it. Unfortunately to use both rails I'll have to pre-much re-lay one of the line. I am considering cutting one track off so it just services a single track.
But if I cut a side off I could put it on the 2nd track and just fudge something to fill the gap. Like maybe cut a piece of balsa of like thickness and paint it the same.

Any thoughts?
Got plenty of time. I'm waiting on fine-tip paint pens so I do a little something to the window and door frames on the shack before I put glue it all up.
E

CA cement is what is commonly known as super glue. I have bottles of it stashed all over the house.

You might have to raise up the bases of the platforms if you are using cork roadbed. I assume that you are talking about the fueling kit. I ended up bring all of my yard track to the surface of the plywood. Usually in yards, the tracks are at ground level,.

Logan 004.jpgLogan 003.JPG

Good Friday, is a day of reflection and quiet.

In that case, good thing I broke my control panel yesterday and not today. There sure wasn't any sort of "reflection and quiet" going on here.
Well maybe some reflection at first. But after I dumped over that bottle of cement while trying to fix, quiet most certainly went out the window will full after-burners on.

That's OK. I already have the new panel built and waiting on spray paint to dry before I go re-mounting all the switches.
Ironically, I forgot to drill the hole for the switch that caused all the problems to begin with.
However, I am considering to build a separate panel just for lights so that switch would go on that panel anyway.
The vote is still out on that one.

It's easier to type "CA" than "CyanoAcrylate", and it is easier to pronounce "CA" also. :D

Some of our Easter weekend guest arrived late last night from Michigan.

Yesterday, I quickly got some Snake-Away because we found baby Copperheads, and suspect there is a nest of them on our property. A bite from one of them would be dangerous. Don't want visiting grandkids to be bitten for sure. Snake-Away will get rid of them.

Chet,
Have you built your sand tower(s) yet?
For modern era engines which tower would I want to use? The tall or short one?
Surprise, surprise, the directions say nothing.
E.

Either one would work. I am going to use both of them. I haven't built them yet because I have to put in turnout controls at the rear of the layout and don't want to take a chance of damaging them. This is an old picture, but I have a turnout by the flour mill, but gives you an idea of how I set up the fueling and sand.

IMAG0683.jpg

For anyone who has built this Walthers Cornerstone kit #933-2908, how did you handle the base when you have your track put down?
Of course I'll have to pull it up, take out the cork road bed and put the base and re-lay it. Unfortunately to use both rails I'll have to pre-much re-lay one of the line. I am considering cutting one track off so it just services a single track.
But if I cut a side off I could put it on the 2nd track and just fudge something to fill the gap. Like maybe cut a piece of balsa of like thickness and paint it the same.

Any thoughts?

I would start by completely cutting away the areas that the tracks would occupy, as shown in the diagram below. Put some cork under the platform pieces to raise them to a level compatible with your existing track. Glue pieces 30 & 31 directly onto the ties. If you are going to use only one track, you could maybe take the leftover "sidewalk" section and glue it to the "island" section.

I used a similar approach for some of my steel works Rolling Mill kit platforms that had tracks running thru them.

FuelingPitCuttingDiagram.gif

I would start by completely cutting away the areas that the tracks would occupy, as shown in the diagram below. Put some cork under the platform pieces to raise them to a level compatible with your existing track. Glue pieces 30 & 31 directly onto the ties. If you are going to use only one track, you could maybe take the leftover "sidewalk" section and glue it to the "island" section.

I used a similar approach for some of my steel works Rolling Mill kit platforms that had tracks running thru them.

FuelingPitCuttingDiagram.gif

Fantastic ideas Ken!!!! Thank you!!!

That's the first thing that I did Ken. Thanks for bringing it up. I am using code 70 rail and also I had to reconfigure it to fit in the available space I had.

New panel all built and operational now.

While waiting on the paint to dry I started in on the sand towers & drying house kit.
I need to get a better color for the drying house walls.
Think I'll wait to get some spray black paint on the towers before I tieing the string to the counter-weights and drop-spouts.
Chet, how would you recommend putting a dirty-black on the sand bin walls?
All in all, a pretty successful day.

Think I'll drink some beer and find something to watch on this new Roku unit.

Later.
E

Evening All,

Just finished supper and watching Jeopardy. Washed the sheets today and completed our taxes and submitted them. MOH and I talked and we decided to go ahead and pay off the house since we are not getting any significant tax savings with the interest. I am excited now that we have made that decision.

On the layout I put a layer of plaster cloth over the top of the risers. I figure the hot glue for the lattice work will stick better on the cloth than the Styrofoam and I was also worried about the heat melting the Styrofoam also. The 2 parts sticking out are for tunnel portals. I did decide to do tunnels on both of the mains, but the portals will be slightly staggered.

Terry- Nice videos. I love the T1 but it is too big for my layout.

20150403_120716_zpspc5yrjwv.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night

Back