Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIX

Good evening. It's cloudy, windy, and 79 this evening.
Curt, I'd shoot a video of my M1a, but our club's layout is down for rebuilding. My home layout really doesn't do bigger steam justice.

With all the talk about 2-8-0's and other smaller engines (my own fault, I started the thread!), I had to buy this one, it offered at a not terribly unacceptable price.....

I hope that it meets your approval Montanan.... ;):D

Don't know about Chet, but it meets mine! Its a great book, and I love all of Lucius Beebe's books. They are all a great read.

We were supposed to have some strong to severe storms come through here tonight. Earlier we had maybe 20 minutes of a hard rain, and 3 claps of thunder. The cold front must have come through, as the local radar shows absolutely nothing to be worried about. I'd rather have a line of storms like this, than the one that came through on April 27, a couple of years ago. That line spawned 3-F5's, 7-F4's, and I don't remember how many F3's. That was a black day even with the knowledge that it was coming. IIRC 359 folks were killed statewide.

Had my treatment yesterday and went to my friend Jim's house to help him install 2 bridges. One of them had to be curved, and even though the model was straight to begin with, I got it curved enough at the joints to curve so there wasn't a real sharp curve on the rails. We tested it by running a full sized auto carrier and passengercar through it and both went through with flying colors. Didn't get a chance to do the other one, but will try to get back there tomorrow. The second one will be a breeze to install. All I got to do is adjust the approach track to it so that none of the High/wide cars and loads hit the beams of the bridge.

Well at least I'll get there if I'm not hurting too badly. Woke up this morning and could hardly move. It even hurt to breathe. I took a real hot soak in the tub for about 30 minutes, and that relieved more pain than my pain meds have done. Time to go I guess, and crawl back into bed. I probably should take a pain med and see how that makes me feel in the morning.

So....I'm not the only one here with insomnia, eh?

I skip taking my Lunesta on nights when I won't be required to get up early, like weekends and holidays.

Double treat for you then! It's a weekend AND holiday - double-holiday if you count yesterday.

Not a lot I can do today except tinker around.
Suppose I could cut up the fueling station platform.
You guys suggest to score it good and just break it?
I was going to use the Dremel with a cut-wheel but I break it instead, I could put it back together with no loss of width.

55 and pitch black out right now. High only 67 after yesterday's 82 high.
Tree pollen was over 2300 yesterday.

If anyone has a clear view towards the west (more like Pacific), you'll get to see a full-lunar eclipse in a while.
Saturday morning before sunrise that is.
E.

Good morning folks!
6:03 on a Saturday and I'm up! Been up for an hour at that. Stuff to do, the a stop at the LHS. I'll catch up later, busy bees gotta fly!;)

Good morning everybody!

53 with cloudy skies in southeast Baltimore.

Have a great day everyone!

It is just now starting to clear off, so no eclipse viewing at my house.
Yesterday morning, I did something I have never done before, and hope to never do again. Last November I bought a new iPad. Yesterday morning, I dropped it down the stairs onto the basement floor when my sleeve got caught on the doorknob to the basement. I swept it up in a dustpan, threw the pieces in the trash, and remote erased it through Apple, just in case anybody should bother trying to recover the data on it.
I have a new one on the way, it only cost $729 to replace. It will be here Monday.

Good morning, y'all. This morning is sunny, with a temperature of 49°, going to 55° later. There are Gale warnings up through 6PM, for sustained winds of 16 - 28 knots with gusts to 39 kn. Water temperature is 45°. Not a good day to go out on a boat, or beach :confused:. I really wish Spring would get here.

Bowser RS12s are in at MBK, I ordered PRR road # 8975, with DCC/Loksound. The model represents a unit assigned to Camden (Pavonia), which was used on Camden - Pemberton (NJ) commuter trains through 1974. It will be appropriate hauling prototypically short trains of either MP54 or Non A/C P70 coaches.

Not much planned for today. I uncovered a original run B&O Proto 2000 GP18, representing the only GP18 in the B&O fleet. I think I will research a decoder to hard wire. Probably need to upgrade to LEDs also.

Have a great day.

Suppose I could cut up the fueling station platform.
You guys suggest to score it good and just break it?
I was going to use the Dremel with a cut-wheel but I break it instead, I could put it back together with no loss of width.
Eric, I would avoid using a cutting wheel for long, straight cuts on styrene. The heat from the friction of the fast-spinning disc will melt the plastic. You already have "built-in" straight edges to guide your exacto blade on the edges you want to cut; sure it might take a bit longer, but at least you're assured of getting a straight, clean break.

Carey, I remember seeing the EF5 live on the Weather Channel as it was tearing thru Tuscaloosa, and thinking OMG I hope Rex isn't under that thing! (I found out later that his neighborhood was a mile away from it.)

Joe, I remember hard-wiring an 8-pin harness onto a LifeLike Phase III GP9, plugging into an NCE D13SRJ. I was a little bit taken aback, since I had just finished a much-easier install on one of their later production run Geep models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric, I would avoid using a cutting wheel for long, straight cuts on styrene. The heat from the friction of the fast-spinning disc will melt the plastic. You already have "built-in" straight edges to guide your exacto blade on the edges you want to cut; sure it might take a bit longer, but at least you're assured of getting a straight, clean break.

Yeah, I know. I don't mind the time. No problem.

Got in here late today. Doin' honey dooz. Started off at 35 degrees and cloudy.

Eric, post some photos of your progress. Later today or tomorros I'll post what I have under construction on my fueling facility.

Have to head to town to look at new appliances. The trade off for my trip to Daytona Brach this spring is a kitchen remodel, along with a couple of bathrooms. I have a feeling this could get expensive.

Here's another lovely '13', for you Louis...

rdg1613s.jpg

If I am not mistaken that is a camel back, an odd setup but from what I have read a good performer. Thanks for the pictures 113.

Have to head to town to look at new appliances. The trade off for my trip to Daytona Brach this spring is a kitchen remodel, along with a couple of bathrooms. I have a feeling this could get expensive.

If you can get them done for under 5 figures you have done great!

Got in here late today. Doin' honey dooz. Started off at 35 degrees and cloudy.

Eric, post some photos of your progress. Later today or tomorros I'll post what I have under construction on my fueling facility.

I'm not building the drying house until I get some paint. The molded color they used doesn't really suit me.

Here you go:
I'm going to include some gotchas in a separate post that I have found so far that may help you out. At least things to watch out for.
E.
P4040013.JPG
P4040014.JPG
P4040015.JPG
P4040016.JPG

Good pics Eric.Looks like you're making good headway. I haven't even started my sand towers yet. They look good.

Too bad you aren't closer. I would come help. I've done lots of re-modelling work.

Here are some things to watch out for on the sanding facility.

Watch out cutting the tie rods (#72 x 7) on the bin. They are super flimsy!! I thought about just using some small gauge wire instead.

Small tower:
The tower bottom piece (#6) has no bevels or recess to line it up. I had a tough time keeping it in place. The next day it occurred to me to simply lay it on something the glue won't take hold of and just put the tank on it then let it setup.

They don't say how to vertically align the tower braces (#4 and #5). The bottoms should meet the base otherwise the tank braces (#11 and #10) won't meet up. The picture on the box also bares that out. Be super careful cutting #10 and #11 off the sprue as well. If you break one (which I did) it's hell to make it right. I'm stuff for now until one of those braces sets up.

I haven't put on the vent pipe #17 yet. Seems to make sense to do that AFTER all the downspout threading tedium is done

Tall tower:
Surprisingly not as bad as it looks (to me anyhow). I haven't hooked up the outriggers or delivery pipes yet.
Really the only 2 things I have here are the ladders and the top railing.
On the glueing side of the ladders are itty-bitty nibs that align to their respective bracket. They said to just snap in the tower ladder supports. That turns out being a good idea and helped to align the ladder with them when mounting it.

The railing on top was tough to get in all the holes. I took my next smallest Dremel bit and finger twisted/wallowed them out and they slipped right in

So that's where I'm at right now.
Best of luck with your's.
E.

Back