Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIX

Good morning everybody!

42 with clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

Have a peaceful and blessed Holy Thursday everyone!

Morning all. 22 degrees and clear. Hope LASM enjoys his warm weather before we send him the cold.

Karl - Good to see RMC is coming back. I always enjoyed their articles and have had a lot of inspiration from some of their articles.

BigE - looks like you're happy with the fueling station.

My picture for the morning is an old one, an NP passenger train leaving Missoula, MT in 1908

passenger_no_16_leaving_missoula_1908.jpg

42 with clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

!

Good Morning-- Louis, we have the same temp here this morning, and we are 1,133 miles away! and the sun shining as well.

Chet--you are right about the cool down, supposed to hit mid of next week, I think

Good morning folks.

We had our first thunderstorm last night. The lightning was impressive, that's for sure. More importantly, we received a quarter inch of rain. Now the grass can start to green up. I knew it was going to rain yesterday so I over seeded the lawn to fill in a few bare spots on Tuesday. Before you know it we'll be mowing twice a week!:rolleyes:

Spent a little time hand painting a building kit the other day. One more coat and some touch up after that and I should be able to start assembling the blasted thing!

Hope everyone is well.

Good morning ...

Regarding Model Railroader, I enjoy reading it and will continue doing so. It has been a while since I even looked at a copy of RMC, but with the changes I am hearing about, I will get a copy of RMC. In general, I have plenty to do without reading any more model railroad stuff. ....... However, it is fun getting my layout photos published in MR, but I don't do that often at all.

Chet ... I like the old photo of a steam powered passenger train.

How many people here are old enough to remember traveling by train with steam locomotives? How many recall sleeping in old Pullman sleepers? ... I remember doing both.

ERIC;

I think that I have the latest version of JMRI on my laptop already. I'll also bring my programming setup, so we can compare the two interfaces. If you like we can do a little speedmatching of a couple of your locos. I may even breakdown and bring a decoder or two to give you more locos. Then we can program them on JMRI, and let you play with it some as well. Still looking at a couple of weeks, like maybe around the 11th?

All that sounds good to me Buddy!
I'd love to see the JMRI stuff in action. I've had it installed on my machine downstairs but I'm not about to relocate all that stuff.

I guess my view of magazines is a little different. I just started subscribing to MR although I have been picking it up off the newstand off and on for years. I have picked up RMC occasionally over the years also. With the stage I am at in getting started again I find MR to be useful. I do find it frustrating with the things that are becoming 'extra cost' though

Now that I am in the company of folks who have actually been published in MR I am curious about which issues they are in so I can see if I can look them up.

I guess my view of magazines is a little different. I just started subscribing to MR although I have been picking it up off the newstand off and on for years. I have picked up RMC occasionally over the years also. With the stage I am at in getting started again I find MR to be useful. I do find it frustrating with the things that are becoming 'extra cost' though

Now that I am in the company of folks who have actually been published in MR I am curious about which issues they are in so I can see if I can look them up.
bsmart you have only scratched the surface, the depth of knowledge and experience on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Whether it real trains or models I have yet to come up empty when I ask a question. Best of all these are some of the best people you will ever meet.

I am glad to see you have become a regular!

I just subscribed to MR a couple months ago and mainly look at the pictures. That is one of my favorite parts of the hobby, the visual aspect of the different models and layouts.

I just subscribed to MR a couple months ago and mainly look at the pictures. That is one of my favorite parts of the hobby, the visual aspect of the different models and layouts.

LASM I prefer Classic Toy Trains magazine, but I do the same as you. After I examine all the pictures then I read the articles.

It's 68 in southeast Baltimore now LASM are we still a mirror of Minnesota's weather? My wife's mother lives in Kecskemet Hungary and you would be surprised how many times our weather is the same as hers.

I have been a subscriber of MR for decades, but for some reason never subscriber to RMC even though it was probably my favorite of the two. One thing I do like about MR is their monthly layout feature. I live looking at track plans. RMC get more into finer detailed projects which I really like. In recent years though I have been losing interest in MR.

I have subscribe to Model Railroad Hobbyist, an online magazine. Here's their web site if you are interested bsmart. http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com

LASM I prefer Classic Toy Trains magazine, but I do the same as you. After I examine all the pictures then I read the articles.

It's 68 in southeast Baltimore now LASM are we still a mirror of Minnesota's weather? My wife's mother lives in Kecskemet Hungary and you would be surprised how many times our weather is the same as hers.

We are pretty close, it is about 65 here right now, but we are getting some unbleievable winds. There are several power lines that blew down in the County, even though the sky is sunny and clear!!

. One thing I do like about MR is their monthly layout feature. I live looking at track plans. RMC get more into finer detailed projects which I really like. In recent years though I have been losing interest in MR.

]

A couple months ago they featured a mining layout, done by someone that worked for the BLM I think and worked in mines. I really liked that one.

Boy have I done a lot today.
Did a lot of painting on the fueling station. Once again the directions are in poor form.

Got a couple of LEDs installed in a couple buildings and all wired up.
I had them direct wired to the track DC power on the old DC power pack.
Since that pack is generally out of sight, it was kind of a pain to turn them off and on so I figured I'd hook up a main switch and mount it to my panel. Nice idea but pitiful on execution.The electronics part was all well and good so it was time to mount the switch.
I needed to drill a whole in the panel and that's when "stuff" went down hill.
What the hell was I thinking by not putting a block of wood under it. As soon as the bit started to get a hold it cracked it completely in half top to bottom. I didn't know whether to throw up or cry. With the heavy smells of paints, brush cleaner and cement, throwing up was probably a more likely candidate. I was speechless. I can only imagine the look on my face. Talk about taking the wind out one's sails.

I tried to fix it, but model cement does NOT work on LexiGlass plastic apparently.
I'll have to build a new one now. I suppose that's ok. That was my first attempt at building one in over 30 something years. I wasn't quite 100% happy with the position of some of turnout switches - but hey! It was 100% functional from day-one!!

It's fixin to storm here right now. Guess I'll hit the shower before it gets bad.
Later.
E.

We are pretty close, it is about 65 here right now, but we are getting some unbleievable winds. There are several power lines that blew down in the County, even though the sky is sunny and clear!!

It is currently 65 here, and the wind is gusting into the 30+mph range.

In other news, my wife graduated from her Physical Therapy, and has enrolled in beginner's yoga classes. I've presented her the keys to her new car, with the admonition "don't wreck it!".

Evening All,

Just finished supper. Today MOH and I put in a flower bed by the front door for some kind of flower from bulbs. After that it was laundry day. I finally made a decision on the risers on the layout and glued down the first 13 ft of them. Tomorrow I will probably start hot gluing the cardboard strip framework to the back drop and in front of the risers.

I hope everybody gets through the severe weather tonight without any issues.

BigE- Welcome to the club! I think we all have done something similar numerous times.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Back