Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIV

Karl, I'll see your Deere and raise you THIS:

SS5000.jpg

This machine got an average rating of 4.6 out of 5.0 among 203 reviewers. I like the 50" mowing deck, with 2 acres of grass I need to save as much time as possible and this will do it!:cool:

POUR_COFFEE1-Copy.png

Good Morning! Today is Tue 10/7/14.

Chance of rain with a high of 66. Going to Kokomo later today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning. It's overcast and 58.

A few weeks ago, I related to you how a co-worker ripped me a new one, then asked me to help him. Yesterday, he got hit by the Karma Bus. It was great... :)

Good morning guy's 57 hear warming up to the mid 80s later, coffee is great this morning Bill and the jeep mower is flat out bad to the bone that's what I need. Good for you Terry I like that Karma are you sure it was a Bus and not a Train hahaha, will I should be a Grandfather for the forth time this week my daughter is about to pop Doctor says it will be a boy. Hope ya'll have a good day.

Chris,

Good morning everyone,

61 with light rain in south east Baltimore.

Congratulations Chris, a future railroader on the way!

Thank's buddy I think he should get a train for Christmas this year right he's old enough right.

Chris,
Buy him a new Lionel LionChief set with the remote control to run the trains and all the train sounds and special effects. Kids love my sets. Even my nieces 18 month old son had no trouble playing with the train. Kids love all the bells, whistles and other sounds modern technology makes possible. $129.99 - $289.99 depending one the set, you can't go wrong in my mind.

Here are a few that MB Klein has in stock, you can find them at any dealer or direct from Lionel. http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/O-Ga...brand=Lionel&show=30&page=1&search= lionchief

Your grandson will be playing with it before you know it!

Morning All,

Not much planned for today. At 1300 I'm going to the museum to get the track laid down since I am feeling better. I may even string my new reverse loop buss today under the layout. I will see after the museum.

Garry- Nice looking lawnmower. The umbrella is a nice touch.

Terry- Karma always seems to happen!

Chris- Congrats on the upcoming birth of your grandson. Never to early to start them on trains.

Hope everyone has a good day.

I told you Ken,,,leave the drain plug "a little loose" so that it blows up after you start cutting the grass!! :cool::rolleyes: Now comes the hard part,,,get your SWMBO a new mower "of her very own" !!! OR get her some fencing and a goat or two!:rolleyes:

View attachment 45875

With this little gem here now, I can sip mint tea while SWMBO cuts the grass!:rolleyes: Go ahead, ask her next time you are here who's tractor the Deere is. :cool:

Karl: That's a really nice tractor alright! Deere builds some fairly heavy duty equipment. That should be great to attache a snow blower to or possible some rear implement such as a drag blade as I believe you can get a three point hitch for it if it doesn't come with one?

Dad and I had an older David Bradley [DB] Riding tractor that Sears used to sell which had a very heavy duty frame to it like some of the little larger Deere's. We also bought most all of the various implements for it as it had a three point hitch on it. Not as heavy as the Deere's but with the X bracing attached to it, it worked just fine. He rigged up an 18" rotary lawn mower with a tow bar that we used to pull behind it and we'd keep about two acres of ground mowed down but what a pain as we made turns due to the over lap problem especially. So it meant going back over an area several times to cut down what you missed on the pass before. Oh, I'm talking field Oats and grass that easily can get to be two and three feet tall.

So when Dad passed away in 1989, God rest his Soul, I realize I needed something with a lot more capability to use on my acreage. I had been looking at a tractor that Montgomery & Ward sold which I liked the looks of the best and I worked for them too for awhile, but Dad had always leaned towards the Sears tractor so after he passed away, in early '89 I bought an 18 Hp, High wheel Garden tractor with a Briggs & Stratton Horizontally opposed engine and a manual transmission with three gear ranges with a high & low setting also, giving me essentially 6 speeds forward and 2 in reverse and a fairly heavy duty frame. It also has a triple blade 44" mowing deck to it and that really mad the mowing a lot easier and faster, but when it comes to the tall Oats & grass some of it still gets laid down and not cut on the first pass. The only problem was it didn't have the ability to accept a three point hitch like the old DB had on it and all of our implements required to be attached. So I got to looking at the three point hitch and talked to my neighbor friend who a machinist and also knows how to weld about an idea I had on how to possibly convert the old three point hitch to work with the new garden tractor and he helped me rigg it up and I've been using it ever since. In fact I may be one of the few guys who have a Craftsman Garden tractor with a 3 l^l point hitch on it. Oh, I did find I had to also stiffen the back hitch frame to withstand the gaff but once I did that everything has been fine. I tried to find the shots I took prior of it but they don't seem available any more?

Since getting the tractor I increased the area I mowed to three acres and have mowed as much as five at times.

Anyway, a decent size tractor really can cut the work load/ effort back considerably.

Oh say, I just happened to think, I would believe that Deere has a cab attachment for your tractor so when the weather gets cold and Snowy you can, Oh, I mean your wife, can ride in comfort to clear the drive of snow and such. Maybe you can even hire her out to clean the neighbors areas?? Extra train money? LoL

Karl, I'll see your Deere and raise you THIS:

SS5000.jpg

This machine got an average rating of 4.6 out of 5.0 among 203 reviewers. I like the 50" mowing deck, with 2 acres of grass I need to save as much time as possible and this will do it!:cool:

Say Ken: That also looks like a nice riding mower for smooth even ground but I don't think it would handle anything like my property being so uneven. Indeed I have to ride my tractor side saddle in several cases as I'm going along a bank area which is at least a 45* slope for a bit so I get plenty of exercise shifting my weight from one side to side by having my feet on either side of the center console especially when making U turns on some hill sides which requires I turn around, I go from one side of the seat to the other to maintain my center of gravity in the process of making the turn.

Karl and Ken .... You ain't seen nothin' ....

redneck_20lawnmower_4.jpg

Say Garry: What make of older tractor is that? It looks familiar but I can't place it.

Say Bill: I didn't realize they made a quad with a body that resembles a Jeep, let alone with a belley mower under it. That's kind of cool but as stated above to Ken I need to shift my weight quite a bit and something like what you have doesn't like it would work too well for my place but I imaging you have a much flatter area to contend with?

Again, I'd love to post some pictures of my tractor but I can't seem to find the ones I know I had? Probably they are on my old hard drive. It's been a very serviceable tractor with only minor problems. Right when I got it I put an Hour meter on it which now reads 1,005.0 Hrs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening All,

Had Corned Beef for supper. I got the track in and powered at the museum. When I left a small train was running. I am glad that the project is finally complete. I decided to skip putting in the new buss until tomorrow with my sons help.

There are some nice looking tractors being posted. I have a uncle that has a John Deere and he washes and waxes it regularly.

IMG_1422_zps379efbb7.jpg

IMG_1423_zps252f8ef1.jpg

Hope everyone has a good night.

Good Evening. Wasn't feeling good today. My nephew put a battery in the GL20, started it and drove it around the loop several times. I went over to look at it and found he was putting tranny fluid it it. It's supposed to take Dexron/Mercon. He was dumping in ATF+4 and power steering fluid, pretty much whatever he could find. Stupid! I fried a tranny doing that! I told him that was improper and would have to be drained out and replaced. I let my father known about it too. He said he'd told him to drain it and do it right. One of my nephews friends wanted to pair it up tail to tail with my RAM but I nixed that in the bud quick!

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN3328.jpg

DSCN3332.jpg

DSCN3326.jpg

I commented to Jim (HOexplorer) recently about taking the man out of trees but not the trees out of the man. Seems the nephew can't get the wood out from between his ears.

BUNN_COFFEE.png

Good Morning! Today is Wed 10/8/14.

Sunny with a high of 67. Working around the house today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

...Say Bill: I didn't realize they made a quad with a body that resembles a Jeep, let alone with a belley mower under it. That's kind of cool but as stated above to Ken I need to shift my weight quite a bit and something like what you have doesn't like it would work too well for my place but I imaging you have a much flatter area to contend with?...

The mower I showed does not belong to me. I found the picture online as an example of an unusual mower. Sorry about the confusion.

Back