Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIV

Garry, we're going to Wisconsin Dells. Of course this time of year all of the attractions are closed! We're stopping in La Crosse to have lunch and visit my old hobby shop. I usually try to buy something from him when I pass through. Honestly, I can't believe he's still in business!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corey .... I have been to the Dells several times over the years. I did grow up in northern Illinois long ago. Sometimes we went by car to the Dells and sometimes by train. We took the Milwaukee Road from Chicago. Once we road the Burlington Twin Cities Zephyr to La Crosse where we took a taxi cab to the Milwaukee Road depot to ride MILW to the Dells. ... I recall a public model railroad in the Dells which was very nice to see. ... We went to the Dells a couple of years ago driving from KY. Road on one of the ducks in the Dells. ...... Thinking about La Cross, I recall Burlington's station next to the country club making it an attractive location. Our Zephyr that day had an E5 as the lead unit, and also we road in Silver Dome, the original vista dome car. ..... Other trips on the TCZ were to the Twin Cities. ....... Those were the good days.

COFFEE_CREME1.png

COFFEE_SIGN.png

Good Morning! Today is Mon 10/6/14.

Scattered showers with a high of 62. Nothing on the agenda for today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good Morning Everybody!

45 and clear skies in the early morning hours here in south east Baltimore.

G'morning!

Hey Louis, you didn't mention anything about the O's. Pretty significant milestone!

Corey, your house looks great! Sure wish I had the energy and the time to overhaul my house, but since I don't have very many "useful" years left, I need to spend whatever free time I can scrape together to build my layout. Probably the last one I'll ever have.

My 10yr-old mower bit the dust yesterday. Went to start it, and the battery was too weak to crank it. So I hooked up the jumper cables and it started right up. While I was moving my car back to the driveway, it suddenly began spewing clouds of bluish-white smoke - not a good sign. I shut it off for awhile and then tried to start it again, and now it is totally seized-up. When I looked underneath, I noticed a small stream of oil dripping out toward the left side; apparently I blew a gasket somewhere.

I've reach the heartburn saturation point with this machine. I just replaced the PTO clutch 3 weeks ago, don't want to keep throwing good money after bad. Time for a new mower. At least now I can get one with a wider cutting deck for the price I paid for this one 10 years ago.

At least I did manage to get a significant amount of ballasting done on the layout this weekend.

Have a good'un.

I know we have a Royals fan here on the forum!

This will be an interesting series with 2 very different offensive teams.

I hope we don't miss Matt Wieters to much this series, the Royals can and will run!

Good Morning, 55° and sunny this morning, going to 67°. The heat came on overnight. We have a full house this week, both sons, GF and our Granddaughter.

I cancelled the appointment with the Orthopedic Spinal Surgeon, and all remaining physical therapy. I'm very cynical and after a few visits, I get the distinct impression that they view my chronic condition as a cash cow. Giveaway, they do a lot of Workman's Comp and Auto accident work, and lease a large suite immediately adjacent to the Physical therapy department to a "Accident Claims Legal Firm". Convenient, eh? BTW: What they have told me about my "condition" is what my "primary" doc already told me, and they are very vague as to "treatment options". I have better things to do with my time, other than waste it on exercises similar to what I already do at home........

I did notice that the O's have advanced - so has KC - so the ALCS will be KC and the O's. I missed the game, it conflicted with a Washington Capitals pre season Hockey game. I did manage to watch the NJ/NY Jets embarrass them selves in San Diego.........I enjoyed that. "'Skins" are playing tonight on ESPN. Devils season opener is Thursday night.

My new H10 runs very well, with excellent slow speed running. My new curve is almost in place. Need to connect Kato ready track to Micro Engineering C83.

Later,

Joe

Now that is a true fan! We have to respect that!

I did notice that the O's have advanced - so has KC - so the ALCS will be KC and the O's. I missed the game, it conflicted with a Washington Capitals pre season Hockey game. I did manage to watch the NJ/NY Jets embarrass them selves in San Diego.........I enjoyed that. "'Skins" are playing tonight on ESPN. Devils season opener is Thursday night.

Joe

They would have been dancing on our grave!

Why? Do you think Tigers fans would have felt bad for us?:confused:

Joe

I still feel bad for the tigers fans. I know the felling of watching the "other guys" dance when our teams fall short.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know we have a Royals fan here on the forum!

This will be an interesting series with 2 very different offensive teams.

I hope we don't miss Matt Wieters to much this series, the Royals can and will run!

That misguided individual needs to see the (neon National Boh') light.:rolleyes:. The O's haven't really missed Matty Wieters all season, so we should be good. :rolleyes:
Meanwhile, the Nats seem to have lost their game, now they have to dig deep to salvage their season.

Joe

I don't coach, I just stand there and freeze most of the time. I do however fill in to help out when needed.

I was always grateful for the right kind of parent help (hint -- NOT the kind from the folks who stand on the sidelines and second-guess the coach or scream at the players -- especially when the player is his or her own kid)...

Erik- Congratulations on your sons performance.
Oops, no, that I think was to be directed at Matt. Credit where it's due! :)

Morning All,

Slept in for a extra hour this morning. Today we need to clean house and later I want to solder a couple of feeder wires to the track in the new section. After that everything will be done on top of the layout that needs to be done electrically. I am holding off soldering rail joiners until everything is hooked up and working.

I really was planning on putting the turnouts going in the opposite direction because I thought I could shoe horn in 3 turnouts on the left main, but I would of had to cut back part of the pre-existing turnout going to the coal mine area, and I decided not to do that.

IMG_1536_zps445b64ac.jpg

I hope everyone has a good day.

Good afternoon. It's 67° with 86% humidity. The high will be 75° with a high chance of rain.
cond90.jpg

Was feeling almost like seasick last night so I took a Dramamine tablet before bed. Woke up around an hour ago. No plans for today except to stay dry.

DSCN3357.jpg

DSCN3353.jpg

DSCN3343.jpg

My 10yr-old mower bit the dust yesterday. Went to start it, and the battery was too weak to crank it. So I hooked up the jumper cables and it started right up. While I was moving my car back to the driveway, it suddenly began spewing clouds of bluish-white smoke - not a good sign. I shut it off for awhile and then tried to start it again, and now it is totally seized-up. When I looked underneath, I noticed a small stream of oil dripping out toward the left side; apparently I blew a gasket somewhere.

I told you Ken,,,leave the drain plug "a little loose" so that it blows up after you start cutting the grass!! :cool::rolleyes: Now comes the hard part,,,get your SWMBO a new mower "of her very own" !!! OR get her some fencing and a goat or two!:rolleyes:

2013-10-02 08.11.33.jpg

With this little gem here now, I can sip mint tea while SWMBO cuts the grass!:rolleyes: Go ahead, ask her next time you are here who's tractor the Deere is. :cool:

How bout dem O's hon!!! Pandelerium around here I tell you. So much orange around here, you barely notice the pumpkins!

Back