Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

This Tardis travelling gets tiresome, go to sleep and wake up in a different coffee shop. People look the same, but is it really them.

Easy up on that!! I got the TARDIS and the bow tie and the sonic screwdriver!
Took me good half hour to figure out how strap my bow tie.
My sonic screwdriver has'nt been fired up in a few years.

But I made a video of it anyhow with me in full frame so you all can really see me as I am now.
I'll post the link when it's ready.
E

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood today with the temperature at 43 degrees, going up to 70. We're in for a spell of normal December weather here in North Texas, sunny, 40-70 temperatures and no rain. That would be 10-22 for you Celsius parts of the world.
Spent about three hours of the day doing yard work, mowing, leaf collection (for use in the compost heap and for mulch in the garden), and tree removal. Will repeat for the next few days. Otherwise on the modeling front, I wired up twelve sets of feeders that were dangling beneath the layout from my recent track laying. Dang if I didn't have a bleed-over between two blocks; I run DC. I double and triple-checked the wiring and could find nothing wrong. Perplexed, I opened a cold bottle of brew and looked on top at the track, and found an insulated rail joiner on the wrong side! Is there anything beer can't do? Up came some track and joiners were reversed and everything works great now.
Curt - Great picture of great modeling. The weathering on that tank in the right corner is right on the money.
David - Even though your station is way out of my era, your depiction looks really good.
montanan - Fine modeling as usual.

Here's a couple of pictures from my old layout:
View attachment 54313View attachment 54314

Willie

Say Willie: Thanks, it's appreciated to get your reply. It would make a great rural station on your modern layout if you had such an area to place it in. Lynn's station is a bit more rustic than mine, I guess I could say my has been getting a renovation from it prior condition. LoL

David I see your Meadow station is the old design , opposite to mine. I was actually thinking seriously about putting the station sign on the roof , yours looks great. By the way I think I'm much like you jumping around project t o project as different ideas come into play, I just happened to get a nudge from a good from and RR hobby guy like us to complete one and move on, this is my second fully complete build.

Say Lynn: I don't know that my reverse design is an old style or not? When my other buddy bought the the kit he saw it came with both sets of walls and he wanted to build his like you did. In fact when he decided to go into On30 he not only gave me all the castings for it but also the built up walls of his so I have that one too. In building mine I don't think I even had the instructions to go by and put it together as seemed correct to me about 25 years ago I think. So you can see it been a long undertaking, especially try to find windows to to fit it and I even tried to buy the window castings etc from, 'Railway Engineering', but they wouldn't sell them separately so I was dead in the water unless I found others that were similar and I didn't but my buddy came trough for me.

I built a complete floor for it which I had stained using Floquil which helped to preserve the wood as my garage gets fairly cold and hot even though it's finished off inside due to it not being heated. So either last year or early this year when I decided to keep the mouse inhabitant out I figured I out to apply more stain to the platform area as well as the upstairs floor to keep them in good shape. So as I stated to Willie above, the station sort of went through a renovation. So to speak.

I figured putting the Station sign on the roof would add to it and I have a desktop publishing program and photo printer so I made up my own to the applicable size. If you want to do that too I can possibly help you with that?

The beauty of not finishing everything is that there is always something more to do, if we finish too fast, what's left?? Well not really as we both know this hobby offer endless possibilities recreating scenes and new sidings as we find the need. It actually an engineering work in progress.

As far as jumping from one thing to another I'm very much the same as we tend to be giving thought to a number of various things and breaking away from one thing to check on something else and take a break too and pretty soon we are doing something else.

Quite a number of years back I did completely finish the little, 'John Allen Station', which has a complete interior, LoL one room with coal stove, the station master and his desk as well as ticket agent at his corner window plus an indoor toilet which I closed off with a separate outside entrance and outside loading dock and ramp with all sorts of items to be shipped on it. So that's my claim to fame if you can call it that. I also revamped the stations waiting platform by extending it as well as the roof over the waiting area and moved the loading out to the back more from the original plan.

Good late night at 11:32 Pm

Afternoon All,

David- Excellent looking station.

This is my L1 (sound turned off, but not the birds) pulling 11 H21 coal gondolas with loads that I made and a cabin car up my 3% grade. The loco pulled without any issues. Now to just fix the sound. I hope the video works.

th_20151206_140417_zpscehb0vl3.png

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt: Thanks for comment about the Station, it's still not finished but track work is more important to complete the mainline.
I'm glad that your L1 is such a good puller.

Good morning. A new coffee house today. Great. Not a bad start for the day at 26 degrees.

Last night at my wife's Christmas party, she walked off with a Ninga kitchen center with the food processor, blender and many other goodies. She is a fantastic cook and I can see the possibility a a slight gain of weight in the near future.

Willie - Nice Santa Fe photos yesterday.

New Guy - Thanks for the comments on this photo I posted last night.

attachment.php

You may have gotten the bug. One thing to remember about scenery is that it for the most part can be removed if you don't like it. In recent weeks Eric and Curt both removed scenery to make changes to their layouts. I have also done it numerous times in the past. I'm sure that with your interest you'll get the hang of it in short order.

I have to take off shortly for a local bowling tournament. I was'treally interested because it is what they call a "No Tap" tournament. In this type of tournament, if you get 9 pins on the first ball, it counts as a strike. Not much of a challenge, but it is for a fund raiser. We had a young girl who was involved in an accident a couple of years ago when she got hit by a drunk driver and ended up losing her right hand. The community is raising money to het her a new hand. For this I felt that I had to go. Didn't slow her dawn at all, now she bowls left handed, and does pretty good.

Guess not much work will be done on the layout today. One last parting photo of activity ot the freight station.

attachment.php

Chet: Remember, Pork, The one you love, to help keep the wait off!

I think your scenes have stirred N/G's scenic interest. LoL How long can anyone enjoy viewing a MRR on bare wood. LoL

It's a very nice thing your folks are doing for the young lady, that was an unfortunate accident to say the least. Glad to hear she is dealing with it so well.

I also have a little Phillips gas station like yours but it's really too new for my era as far as I know but even the early auto's had to get gas from somewhere. As usual, nice shots.

Wonder what they say about foam???? I was surprised to find a placard inside the cab of an Amtrak P42, informing me that operation of this "device" may release chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer.:confused::confused::confused:.

Yep, what do you expect from the idiots in Calif.

HOLY WAA! I heard Rod Stewart had a train layout and thought people were joking, he's not what springs to mind when I think MRR!

I googled it on a lark and...

SHAZAM! He's got a bit of a 'thing' there, eh? I LIKE the mountainside with the lines across it, gives me ideas for that 30 foot back wall.

Merle Haggard - Guitarist, Songwriter, Singer - Biography.com
www.biography.com/people/merle-haggard-9542118
Talk Show Host,; Model; (1973–) ... Country music star Merle Haggard was born in Bakersfield, California, on April 6, ... Famed country singer, guitarist and songwriter Merle Ronald Haggard was born on April 6, 1937, in Bakersfield, California. The son of a railroad worker, Haggard grew up in Depression-era California.

Rod Stewart, Neil Young, Roger Daltry, Johnny Cash, Mandy Patinkin, Michael Gross, Tom Snyder, Frank Sinatra...model railroaders all

This Tardis travelling gets tiresome, go to sleep and wake up in a different coffee shop. People look the same, but is it really them.

Toot: It's really a fig-newton of your imagination, nothing to concern yourself about though.

Good Morning All. Starting off the morning at a cool 36 degrees and clear skies. It will drop a few more degrees by sunrise. Today is grocery day, grocery store is 25 miles away so it is a multi-hour trip. This coming Saturday is my granddaughter's first birthday party and we are supplying the homemade pastries.
On to the layout. Continued laying track on my upper level yesterday, 16' of main and passing siding. Later today I will join them at the end, but I will be at the end of my currently constructed benchwork. Siding will hold about 25 cars, slightly longer than my average train of 23 cars. Need to do more scenery on the lower level before continuing upper level benchwork. I still have about 4' of industry siding/spurs left to complete on the upper level.
montanan, Garry, & Curt - Thanks for the comments on the pictures. I have more, I just need to sort then out and find time to post.
These aren't as good, framed poorly, but they are still representative of some of my stuff.

may26 020.jpgP1010154.jpg

Willie

FOGGY, creepy and COLD out there, taking 'Das Boy' to school this morning was an adventure! They were lined up in the cold dark fog at the "hippie" restaurant down the street already, they must put weed in the waffles or something, the place seats 10, that's right TEN (I looked in the window and counted) and they are lined up all day every day to get in there! They play music so loud you can hear it outside when you drive by. Now I won't EVER say "don't do it", I was young once, but "geez, these kids nowadays"! LOL!

Good morning guys. Managed to get my layout set up into my blocks last night before bed. Took a look at my old track plan before my move and my current plan. To me honestly I think I cleaned the plan up with the changes to the loadout approach and entry into the yard. Of course I have had to sacrifice some yard space on both but its only a minor sacrifice. Maybe a train car length of track.
uploadfromtaptalk1449492242306.jpguploadfromtaptalk1449492271098.jpg

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Good morning. We're starting the day off at a mild 32 degrees.

Chessie - Looks like you're off to a good start. Any progress is good.

Willie - Enjoy the photos. What happened to your old layout???

Here's another photo taken of the freight station.

attachment.php

Good morning. We're starting the day off at a mild 32 degrees.

Chessie - Looks like you're off to a good start. Any progress is good.

Willie - Enjoy the photos. What happened to your old layout???

Here's another photo taken of the freight station.

attachment.php
Yeah I built my control panel as well all I have left is to wire this puppy up and run some laps. I think it'll go well as I took my time laying my track and made sure it was smooth. I still have to make up my diagram of my layout so I can make sure the right blocks are activated. So hopefully this week I can start my scenery and get this layout together.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

You ought to put together about 5 minutes of material, you are funnier than FOXWORTHY without even trying!

Don't know about America but I do know E's got talent!

Yeah, well, I don't know about talent. But I will have to brag on myself a little when I was reviewing my videos for the web site..... I got to laughin' and forgot I was watching me. Especially that one around 2am trying to fly my helo (not the one the tree ate) in on the layout. Golly mercy I was laughing my azzz... off on my own self. I don't think I went public with that one on account of language but it's dam sure funny even for me to watch.
I figure if you can't laugh at yourself then by God you shouldn't laugh at anyone else.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
E.

Good morning, 30° and sunny this morning, going to 55°. Another nice day.

Comment: After three or four relatively cold, snowy winters in a row, we have been blessed with some really nice, mild weather this year. Why is the news media treating this as a horrible crisis????

Curt: Liked the "silent' L1 video. The L1 looks good and pulls well.

Chet: Thanks for some great photography, and awesome modeling.

CS3: Nice to see your layout is coming along.

SFWillie: Your ATSF stuff looks good.

I finally finished the benchwork for module #3.
12-06-2015 benchwork 2.jpg12-06-2015 benchwork.jpg

Montanan - My old layout was in a non-climate controlled lean-to tacked on the backside of my barn. It was also not varmint-proof. Temperatures ranged from 10 - 115 degrees depending on the time of year. It sufficed for almost 20 years but had its problems, the building, not the layout itself. In 2010, I began building a purpose-built "train shed" 20' x 32' in the yard (15 acres). I am slowly re-starting a two-level around the walls w/peninsulas switching layout. I may have continuous running on the second level which would require a "stoop-under" at 54" high. No "duck-unders" for me...I learned that 25 years ago. As a lone wolf like you, I rarely run more than one train at a time so I have stuck with DC even on this new version. Converting 80+ engines would be cost-prohibitive for me. Now that I am retired (5 months) I have more time to devote to trains and other hobbies. I operate as I build. Put in 16' of benchwork, lay out some track, test for a month or so, add industries (cardboard boxes in some cases) etc, etc. Each level will have about 165' of main line. I already have 36 industries to switch. Now if I could just get more scenery done...maybe 20% complete at this time.
Willie

Good Morning!! 28 and cloudy. We had a very mild weekend, it was up to 45 yesterday!

Chet--nice photos

Chessie--I like your new layout design.

Curt--I always enjoy your photos!

WJLI26

Looks like you're getting some work done. Got any plans for the modules or any track down yet??

Willie - I can see where you would have a problem in a building like you described. Way too much temperature change and too many little visitors. Looks like you're off to a good start. I pretty well built the same way. I did start off hand laying track and ran trains to make sure that there were no problems before I moved onto the next portion. Built eight foot sections around the walls and tried to plan out where industries and town would be. Got most of it right except for one town. The buildings ended up not fitting into the proposed area and I had to tear out a bunch of hand laid track and reconfigure the town after having the actual buildings so I was sure that everything would fit into the space. Don't make this mistake. Once the scenery is in it's hard to believe the difference. Any photos yet?

Ok Chet, the molds are drying as we speak and I'll trek to the PO shortly.... like in the next hour or so.
Anything else I can help you with?
I can't find anything that would be worthy for you.
I need to find something to make do for a packing label.
E

Back