Running Bear's Cofee Shop LI

Morning fellers,
Major stormage came through last night. I surprised the power didn't go out.
Always makes for interesting dreams during the night.
More like a tornado laden Irwin Allen disaster movie on a continuous loop.
I'm under that big red blob just to the NW of Atlanta.
Radar14JUL2015.gif

Good morning all. Terry must be snoozin' so I'll get the coffee started.

coffee_pot.jpg

Starting the day off at 56 degrees this morning. I will have to be happy with the temps we've had for the last week as I see many parts of the country are baking under high temps. We've managed to stay in the high 70's.

Stay cool and leave a tip.

Chet

morning guys, we have 66 and sunny.

Took a few pics of the layout last eve and here is a shot of the yard as it looks now:

yard.jpg

Morning All ...
image.jpg

Weather has just been too nice, but no complaints from this department. We will have some 100 plus days ahead, but with very low humidity. Here's the skinny for yesterday and today:
Today
High 88 | Low 58 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 90 | Low 58.6 °F
Precip. 0 in

Good afternoon fellow tie layers- spike drivers and ballast tampers,

Hi Flo & Francine, I'll have a Smoked Turkey sandwich again, the last one was great, with Romain lettuce and English Cumber slices and a cup of coffee with some of the small ice cubes to cool it down. Thanks. Here my $2.00 tip too, God, look how quick Francine grabbed that, I wonder what's going on with her?

Say ladies, that Turkey sandwich was really great again, and I like that you serve it in an old pie tin which really makes an old bum feel right at home. Nothing but the finest tinware!

It's fairly comfortable but a bit on the warm side too. Lets see what Wunderground Weather says?
Clear skies, 91.2 °F - Feels Like 89 °F;

Winds are Variable at 5.3 mph from the SSW.

The Hum-i-dity is at 29% and the Barometer reads 28 Mgm.

I ran some trains late last night, actually early this morning at between 1:00 Am & 2:00 Am and found I need to do a bit more adjustment on one of my turnouts to adjust the track gauge. Odd as I thought I had it adjusted but I guess the hotter weather expanded the code 70 rail a bit more than expected. Just like the real thing track work needed. The Box Cab Diesels stay on the rail due to their weight but some of the lighter flat cars derail.

Oh Sherrel, My sentiments Exactly!

Well I'm feeling very relaxed after eating as I guess I didn't get enough sleep this morning so I'm going to find a comfortable spot outside and take a nap! See you later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. Glad to see you with us today Terry.

The Wombat sent me some wain. THANKS TONY. - He mentioned in his post that I was welcome to it and did it ever come down yesterday afternoon. Lost DirecTv signal for over a half an hour. Puddles all over the place and no need to drag hoses all over the yard.

My tile man will be coming over this morning to get started on the kitchen backsplash and picking up the rest of the tile needed for the entry foyer and bathroom. Things are moving slowly, but considering that we are doing most of the work ourselves, I guess I can't complain at all.

Starting off at 54 degrees this morning and expecting a high in the upper 70's with a possibility of more afternoon thunder showers. I can handle that.

Good morning !

Terry ..... Thanks for the coffee. Goes well with a doughnut.

Chet .... Your house will be beautiful inside.

David ... Glad you ran trains. Sounds like rail expansion and contraction is troublesome with your layout location. I see why you were concerned about that in prior conversations. Too bad you can't keep the layout at a constant temperature.

Yesterday was a lunch get-together with lake are model train guys. Always a good bull sessions. Nobody looks over our shoulders to keep us off of politics, and some of that comes up too. ... In a few days, we're headed to CIncinnati to see the family there.

I laid some track in a hard to reach location yesterday. I have more track laying to do.

Happy Model Railroading !

Just checking in .. Like reading all the comments.

Trying to prep the house for #2 daughter and her two youngins. One is two and the other is three months. They are coming from LeJeune, NC where her husband is in the Marines and on assignment for a while. Daughter is a CA girl and hardly been out of State before the transfer to NC. Been there almost two years and she has only been home once for my surgery in Feb... She is a little homesick with husband gone, and I haven't seen the new little one. It's going to be interesting with two under three and her three year old sausage dog Dashund to boot!

It's sure beautiful here today .. 62 and CAFB !!
Today
High 90 | Low 61 °F
0% Chance of Precip.

Yesterday
High 75.4 | Low 60.4 °F
Precip. 0 in

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, I forgot to check in this morning but we have 65 and overcast. Supposed to be in the 70's and humidity rising for a couple days.

Afternoon Gents.
I've been trying to get into my routine still.

It has occurred to me the last couple of days I've been somewhat remiss in my moderating duties (at another forum for professional land surveyors and geodesists). I've spent most of today reading everything getting caught up. Seems my Admin and other 2 moderators aren't around this week. Glad to see everyone behaving nicely. Only had to edit one thread title on account of a blatant grammatical error which doesn't look good in a forum for licensed professionals that is publicly available - at minimum, it's viewable to anyone.

Except for running trains the other day a couple times between naps, I haven't done squat except come into the room, look at what maybe to do next and then leave and think about it - and open another beer. :cool:
Now it occurs to me as I say that, I remember the last thing I was thinking about before unplugging everything - build a small control to control my lighting effects. I meant to draw up plans and stuff before I left on vacation, but now it has all come back to me.

I still haven't fully reloaded on groceries yet. Too dam hot to walk to the store and carry stuff back and early morning walks are fine and good so long as I take the notion. This morning wasn't one.

So there is my late-day check-in. It's well into 90s every day I've been back and about every coming soon.
E.

This completely off MRR topic but:

Sun Tzu - "The Art of War"
Has anyone else read this?
I'm reading it now. Almost half-way through in a few hours.
I plan on re-reading it several times.
The version I have is a collection of several commentators based on the 1910 translation which is now widely accepted.
The first 70 or so pages is mostly about the history about who this guy was and who he advised.

Just curious.
E

Good morning fellow Spike drivers,
Hi Flo & Francine, Say Francine did you leave a buck yesterday for gas money for the generator to keep power on in the this rail coach. Nothing beats being able to climb up into an old rail car like this sitting on an abandoned siding and meeting with friends. History all around us in here! Anyway I have some coffee, and a couple of eggs and some Italian sausage, thanks.

Here's the current weather temps from WW:
Clear skies at 88.5 °F, Feels Like 86 °F and fairly comfortable;

Wind are Variable and from the SW at 6.8 mph, the Barometer is at 28 mgh and the Humidity dissapeared just as I went to bring it up??

RR'ing:
Last night I got to looking at the situation where I was getting the derailments on the tighter radius of the turnout leading to the passing track at the Horseshoe Meadow Depot. I found that it was the outside rail that I had somehow gotten out of gauge so I placed a Kemtron three point track gauge, two of the rail head holding points on the point rail and let the third holding point press outward on the outside rail at the place where it was the tightest. I shimmed up under the PC tie strips [2] that happened to be below this point and used my solder iron to melt the connection on each of them going back and forth to allow the rail to move outward about .0020 [thousands] and then at a third location to try and ensure the proper gauge. Really it was to try and keep my job as track gang foreman before the Superintendent found out I screwed up! Anyway that's all it took and I could roll the two flat cars, pushing them on the back coupler, through there with no derailing and that's just what I wanted!! Then I hooked them back up to the front of the Box Cab Diesel Track Cleaner
work train and was able to push them through the switch and pull them through it again!! Hoorah - Hoorah

In a short while my friend Joe is supposed to stop over for a while as he is another avid MRR and his Dad was an Engineer for the SP in Fresno. He probably knows my friend that taught me to build turnouts?

Good morning !

Terry ..... Thanks for the coffee. Goes well with a doughnut.

David ... Glad you ran trains. Sounds like rail expansion and contraction is troublesome with your layout location. I see why you were concerned about that in prior conversations. Too bad you can't keep the layout at a constant temperature

Garry, Unfortunately that's how things are but it could be a lot worse. The garage is completely insulated and finished off which helps and I put 2" thick closed cell foam on the outside of the metal garage doors which really helps a lot. The garage still has it's temperature changes though. I just give me a chance to do a little track work now and then to correct things. A bit of a PiA but then that's all part of the enjoyment of seeing the trains run without derailments on the hand laid track. It's also keeps me sharp as to how to correct things. Also using most all Caboose Industries High Level Switch stands makes for a more prototypical operation for me.

Yesterday was a lunch get-together with lake are model train guys. Always a good bull sessions. Nobody looks over our shoulders to keep us off of politics, and some of that comes up too. ... In a few days, we're headed to CIncinnati to see the family there.

I laid some track in a hard to reach location yesterday. I have more track laying to do.

Happy Model Railroading !

* Glad you got together with your RR buddies at the lake, that sounds like you had an enjoyable time, that's great!

morning guys, we have 66 and sunny.

Took a few pics of the layout last eve and here is a shot of the yard as it looks now:

View attachment 51076

David, Your yard scene looks like a busy place.

Good morning all. Terry must be snoozin' so I'll get the coffee started.

Starting the day off at 56 degrees this morning. I will have to be happy with the temps we've had for the last week as I see many parts of the country are baking under high temps. We've managed to stay in the high 70's.

Stay cool and leave a tip.

Chet

Yes Chet, Out West here in Central Calif. it's fairly warm but today's temperatures are not too bad, I can only hope it stays like this through the rest of the Summer but I think that's too wishful thinking!

Just checking in .. Like reading all the comments.

Trying to prep the house for #2 daughter and her two youngins. One is two and the other is three months. They are coming from LeJeune, NC where her husband is in the Marines and on assignment for a while. Daughter is a CA girl and hardly been out of State before the transfer to NC. Been there almost two years and she has only been home once for my surgery in Feb... She is a little homesick with husband gone, and I haven't seen the new little one. It's going to be interesting with two under three and her three year old sausage dog Dashund to boot!

It's sure beautiful here today .. 62 and CAFB !!
Today
High 90 | Low 61 °F
0% Chance of Precip.

Yesterday
High 75.4 | Low 60.4 °F
Precip. 0 in

Say Sherrel, Tell your daughter for me to tell her husband I have the highest regard for his being in the Marines. Tell him to stay safe as best possible along with his buddies!

Thanks, DAVID(truss rod), I will pass along your well wishes. Glad to see that you are taking care of those ladies at the diner ... Looks like they make some pretty good sandwiches!

Time for an ALCO!
image.jpg

Thanks, DAVID(truss rod), I will pass along your well wishes. Glad to see that you are taking care of those ladies at the diner ... Looks like they make some pretty good sandwiches!

Time for an ALCO!
View attachment 51099

Thanks for your thanks, glad to know my sentiments will be passed along!

Are those Alco's part of your layout I hope? They are very good.

I had my friend Joe stop by for a while and I was running a couple of my loco's. One of my Old Time MDC Climax Loco's didn't want to run very well and I discovered that it had a lot more dirt build up on the power trucks than I thought. Once cleaned off it ran a lot better. Good electrical contact does make a difference, guess I need to run my track leaner loco's more often, they are fun to watch slowly pull a work train around too!

Good morning everyone. 56 degrees this morning with a high expected in the upper 70's.

Thanks for getting the coffee going Terry.

No train pictures today, but I thought I would post a couple of shots of our new kitchen. It is almost complete. The backsplash went in yesterday and our man Dan will be over today to grout it. All that has to be done after that is to re install the electrical outlets and switches.

IMAG0428.jpgIMAG0429.jpg

The plumbing is completed for the tub/shower area and cement board will go in later for the subway tile shower enclosure and then the tile floor will go in.

Guess progress is progress with either home improvements or a model railroad. Sure would like to have more time to work on trains.

Back