Running Bear's Cofee Shop LI

Cloudy, raining and 68 here right now.
Looks like just you and me this morning Terry.

Has Ken been around recently? I sent him a PM several days ago but haven't heard back.
Actually, it wasn't a PM through the forum. It was direct email.

I suppose I'll wait around to listen to the "Car Talk" guys on the local NPR station. After comes "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" followed up with some Lewis Grizzard. Except those and classical music I don't listen to NPR on account of their heavy news slant.

Good morning and happy 4th of July ....

Terry .... Thanks for the coffee.
Eric ... I bet parents are proud of the 9 year old girl in the video.

Last evening we watched fireworks on a boat. The state park on our lake had them last night. The other state park on the other lake does fireworks tonight.

... Has Ken been around recently? I sent him a PM several days ago but haven't heard back.
Actually, it wasn't a PM through the forum. It was direct email. ....
Eric, sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. I haven't been spending much time on the 'puter lately because (a) things have been a bit chaotic around the house since my daughter and S-I-L from CA got here, and (b) I've been assembling structure kits to put on my layout. I finally sent an answer back when I discovered your message this morning. Hope you haven't already left for your vacation before you get to see it...

Happy Fourth o' July everyone, hope the weather in your area will be dry when its time to do fireworks.

Well... I wasn't going to do any modelling before leaving but I broke that one already this morning. After emailing with Ken, I was just going to take some pics of a house (Morel house) I was rebuilding compared to the same I built from an un-opened kit. Both came in that "big box of stuff" I received from my step-Dad in early Dec.
The one I'm re-building had pretty much been collapsed in whole pieces when I got it but I was able to figure it out and put it back together. It occurred to me the un-opened kit (just a plastic bag of parts with no box, picture or instructions) was the same thing.
I put the 2 side by side to take pics and now it seems the older "junker" I'm re-building is rapidly starting to look better than the brand new one I built. So now I have my scenery hat on all of a sudden.
My attention turns my sand-drying house with brick walls. My recent issue of MR Mag. had a short segment about accenting mortar by rubbing on some light sheet-rock spackle then cover with Dullcote.
My old flat-black paint I have used here and there doesn't seem to be drying flat. Anything I can do to take that sheen out of it? Lord knows how old that paint is and perhaps I shouldn't have used it but it was all I have at the moment.

I'm starting to think that model railroading "on the fly" (like I'm doing) is like playing chess. You had better think a sh..t-load of moves ahead to do it right.
Like I responded to Ken in email, when I get back from vacation I'm going to build a panel just for my lighting effects. I had a need the other day, and a few other times, where I needed some stuff to be off and leave other stuff active. Right now it's all or nothing on the accessories with a big toggle switch.
I'll leave that in place as a "panic button".
E.

Good Morning all!

Cool and rainy here, temps in the 60's. Fireworks not likely this evening, maybe tomorrow?

anyways

Happy 4th of July!!

Happy 4th.jpg

Golly mercy! I am so stoked!
I'm ready to leave within the hour!
Bag is packed and I'm ready to deploy!
Why Bradley wants to wait until Monday morning to leave, I don't know.
Well, he does HAVE to watch the race with his "Papa Phil" on Sundays. That's ok. I know Papa Phil well. His health is not well at all - stage 4 cancer of which I don't recall right now.
Kind of funny how me and Bradley met 8 years ago. He was just some punk kid fresh out of high school working at parks & rec with my neighbor. He didn't like me at all at first but then asked about my favorite baseball team and NASCAR driver - Braves and Dale Jr. "Who's your favorite Braves player?" "Chipper Jones of course!" We've been good buddies ever since. Been to a NASCAR race once. Hunting and fishing and camping several times - always got rained out either during the night or early next morning. I think we did manage a full 2 days on our first trip in the mountains.

I'm ready to shower and shave right now and do some quick laundry and be gone. Not shaving for a week or 2 isn't a problem me.
I haven't had a vacation just for myself in for so ever I don't remember. Then again, I'm a tag-a-long on this one but that's ok. I'm game. I'll get to see my Sis and her kids and hopefully her husband. Except for growing up some with Andrea (sis) I haven't met any of them. My Mom (before she died) as well her brothers, Uncles Jim and Greg say "you'll just love this guy".

Again... I'm rambling.
No doubt I won't sleep a wink Sunday night.
E

Hey. Winds appear to be calm right now.
I think I'll take my quad-copter out for a ride.
Better put the battery on charge just to be sure.

A really funny thing earlier: I'm at the liquor store (next to the beer store) and they are asking where I have been. I've kind of eased on that but mentioned I was leaving town next week. They thought I meant for good. Both are of Indian (as in Bombay) descent. One is Pashti (Gary in American - Gaprete in his native tongue) the other is S. African and speaks 17 languages but I don't know his name. For the sake of conversation I'll call him Bill. He asks where I'm moving to. I'm not moving anywhere, just going on a vacation. So I tell them Panama City Beach. Bill says "so, when you come back you'll just as dark as us!".
Too dam funny.
Kind of not so funny is he's right. I get REAL dark REAL quick.
When I first down here out of the mountains and I was land surveying, I got super dark and my bleached out back to my toe-headed blond boy days. I mean dark like darker some black fellers I know. That blows their minds.

Probably isn't so good for the melanoma thing.

Ok.... charge is up. Time for a flight on this Independence Day. 248 I think?
E.

Edit: I have no idea now what I was thinking about 248? I'm drawing a complete blank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon fellow Engineers and Gandy Danncers,
Hi Flo & Francine, I see you've got the place decorated very patriotically, that's great ladies!

WW says: Clear but a few higher clouds, 100.6 °F - Feels Like 103 °F;

Wind from SSW at 2.7 mph.

Humidity is - 31%

I'm going to work on getting a little more main line track spiked down and electrified and tested and then make a couple of turnouts, they probably won't b done today but started for the three track upper section, one main line and two passing sidings
for a bit more flexibility with to shuffle cars around with two mines in the area an a farm with produce and livestock.

It's time now for an Ice Creme run before it get any hotter!

Happy 4th of July! - - - Independence Day!

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Holiday!

Good afternoon all,

Happy 4th of July!

Excuse me. 4 July is just a day.
INDEPENCE DAY is another matter.
Pardon me for being a little anal about that.
Don't mean to get in your craw about that.

Now I remember. These United States are 248 years old today.
E

Interesting you should bring that up as I was also about to add, 'Independence Day' to it but figured most every one would realize they are one and the same.

Interesting you should bring that up as I was also about to add, 'Independence Day' to it but figured most every one would realize they are one and the same.

The kids around my little "hood" don't know bull squirt. They just think it's a day to shoot fireworks and such.
Makes me want to be back in the mountains and unknown.

The kids around my little "hood" don't know bull squirt. They just think it's a day to shoot fireworks and such.
Makes me want to be back in the mountains and unknown.

Your right to bring that up, it is important and too many don't realize the importance and meaning behind it.

As you can now see I added, 'Independence Day' to what I wrote when you first called my attention to it. I only hope some of the kids look in this coffee shop section to learn about the importance of this day!

Btw, I'm distantly related to King 'Gorg' >the German spelling and the same last name of my mothers' father my grandfather<.
The name was later changed to 'George', Americanized as most people couldn't pronounce, 'Gorg' with the two dots over the 'o'. But it's the same last name Prince Charles also bears! I verified that during his wedding to Diana!

Hope you have a good vacation and enjoy seeing your sister and her husband. The best to you!

Good God! One might think fireworks were a brand new thing around here.
They are now first time legal here that I know of.
You'd think they just over-threw the gummint by the sounds of it outside.
Sounds more downtown Beirut on a bad day.
Kind of makes me feel like I need to strap on a comm-link, an M249 (SAW) or MP-5-A2 and head out on patrol for recon.
Too bad I don't have big daddy "Ma Deuce" to make some racket to answer these idiots back.
I could improvise but am out of 2-litre bottles (and some ingredients I won't mention).
Outside is like a fog now - not on account of the weather.
Wow!!
More like a non-dream flashback from hell. A barrage just went off while I was outside and I found myself ducking for cover grabbing for my weapon (that isn't there). The way I was grabbing was probably looking for my SAW. The MP-5s are awesome in CQB. This is more like open field stuff. Give me a 6 or 8 man team and do a center-peel evac and that'll leave these jokes wondering what just happened.
Here is a live-fire exercise: (turn your speakers up)
https://youtu.be/9KmliL_u7A8

Yeah, Terry, I can relate. My neighbor's cat is in here hiding. Even the feral cat "Big Smokey" came in for a while. Humidity here is way up there so all that smoke just hangs in the air.
This turning out to be a wild night. Not good for those with PTSD or related stuff.
Night terrors and screaming dreams you can ask about from my ex wives and girlfriends.
I suppose "it" will never leave you. It hasn't for me after 30 something years.

Curious question to all former service Brothers: How do you talk about it? Or do you? Just like my Grandpas, I won't. Somewhat because my ops were classified and more importantly - it makes me have to re-think, thus, re-live it. Even if in my head.
I've long thought I was over it. My snap reaction this evening to cover and grab for my shouldered rifle without a thought tells me otherwise.

A while later... things seem to be quieting down outside. Good! Now get this stuff out of my head!!!!

The townhouse neighbors on the other side of my wall have some kids who seem to be a little raucous this evening. I suppose they shouldn't care if I blast some music - which I rarely do but with headphones on anyway..

Eric, I tried to talk to my brother about it, and all it seemed to do was make it worse. He never wanted to talk about it. While I've been shot at, stabbed, and beaten in the line of work, it is still nothing like being subjected to intense live fire for hours, even days, at a time.

Eric, I tried to talk to my brother about it, and all it seemed to do was make it worse. He never wanted to talk about it. While I've been shot at, stabbed, and beaten in the line of work, it is still nothing like being subjected to intense live fire for hours, even days, at a time.

I haven't been stabbed. That just might piss me off.

Eric, When your past begins to bother you, maybe try to become aware of it before it becomes too intense so you can tune it out as soon as possible. Try and catch yourself a little sooner each time and possibly fairly soon you can nip it in the bud, not beer LoL, before it gets started? You also need to try and make peace with yourself by realizing your actions probably saved many more or your soldier's lives than without your actions.

Of course had you not taken the actions you did it could have been you and your buddies that were either shot, stabbed or killed too!

I thought you were supposed to leave today for Florida?

Happy day after Independance Day!

63 at the moment ...

Sunday 07/05 0% / 0 in
Some clouds this morning will give way to generally sunny skies for the afternoon. High 84F. Winds SW at 10 to 15 mph.

Back