Running Bear's Cofee Shop LI

I haven't seen many pictures here lately, so here are a few impressive shots of the Iowa class battleships firing their big guns. I was lucky enough to have wittnesses this first hand.

Missouri.jpgNew Jersey.jpgWisconsin.jpg

USS Missouri USS New Jersey and the USS Wisconsin.

We had just got out of the yards in Charleston, SC and were off the coast of Puerto Rico firing out little 5 inch gun. A few of us were sitting on top of the missile house when it sounded like a freight train roaring over our heads. On the island were were firing at, a mountain lifted up and then fell in on itself. Shortly after that, we heard a rumble from over the horizon. After a few rounds, you could see the flash, in daylight from over the horizon, and then actually watch the projectiles travel overhead and hit the island we were firing at. A while later, the New Jersey came into sight. She had just gone through a refurb getting ready to head to Viet Nam. I

Incredible ships.

Eric .... "chronic hermitosis"..... That's a good one.

Yeah, it's caused by the adverse effects from living alone for years in the remote mountains of Western NC. It was not too uncommon for me to go an entire week and never see or speak to another human being. Especially during the winter months. Even the beer store run was 3 counties away.
Even though I'm in a town now, I can still manage to go a couple of days without talking to anyone.

July plans: I'm leaving for Panama City Beach Monday (5 days and counting). I'll be gone until Friday. I'll get to see my Sister who I haven't seen in almost 20 years. Her kids and husband I have never met. She called yesterday and we're getting together Monday afternoon after we get there. She's a Dr. and is on call the rest of the week so it'll have be Monday. Her husband, David, is a DOD employee with the Air Force (probably at Eglin AFB) so I don't know if he'll make it.
E

I haven't seen many pictures here lately, so here are a few impressive shots of the Iowa class battleships firing their big guns. I was lucky enough to have wittnesses this first hand.

View attachment 50851View attachment 50852View attachment 50853

We had just got out of the yards in Charleston, SC and were off the coast of Puerto Rico firing out little 5 inch gun. A few of us were sitting on top of the missile house when it sounded like a freight train roaring over our heads. On the island were were firing at, a mountain lifted up and then fell in on itself. Shortly after that, we heard a rumble from over the horizon. After a few rounds, you could see the flash, in daylight from over the horizon, and then actually watch the projectiles travel overhead and hit the island we were firing at. A while later, the New Jersey came into sight. She had just gone through a refurb getting ready to head to Viet Nam. I

Incredible ships.
Chet, weren't you on board a destroyer when an aircraft carrier did its best to run over you?

Incredible ships.

That's cool! I am often seen wearing my USS Alabama (BB-60) hat. In fact it's sitting right here next to me.
Most people don't seem to realize how old that ship is and I often get asked if I served on it. I was only 4 years old when it was turned into a museum ship back in 1964. It is currently berthed in Mobile Bay.
I am all time being told "thanks for your service" when I have it on.
Several years ago one of my land surveyor magazines ran a feature article about using a laser scanner to survey the super-structure on Mighty Mo. I'll see if I can find a link to the article. It's pretty interesting.
E.

Terry, luckily no. I spent most of my time on destroyers. This was my favorite, the USS Luce.

USS%20Luce1.jpg

After we put it out of commission for an overhaul and updating the fire control system, I was transferred to the USS Little Rock, which was a converted WWII cruiser. While on NATO operations, we had an incident where a Greek destroyer, an ex Fletcher class US destroyer crossed out bow and was almost cut in half. Luckily, the officer of the deck ordered a hard right rudder and went into full reverse, the destroyer only got a glancing blow amidships. We took out their 3 inch 50 and the gun turret housing. We ended up breaking the stem and enjoyed a week in Malta while they were doing repairs.

Lonchi3A.jpgLonchi1A.jpgMaltaBowRepair.jpg

Terry, luckily no. I spent most of my time on destroyers. This was my favorite, the USS Luce.

View attachment 50858

After we put it out of commission for an overhaul and updating the fire control system, I was transferred to the USS Little Rock, which was a converted WWII cruiser. While on NATO operations, we had an incident where a Greek destroyer, an ex Fletcher class US destroyer crossed out bow and was almost cut in half. Luckily, the officer of the deck ordered a hard right rudder and went into full reverse, the destroyer only got a glancing blow amidships. We took out their 3 inch 50 and the gun turret housing. We ended up breaking the stem and enjoyed a week in Malta while they were doing repairs.

View attachment 50859View attachment 50860View attachment 50861

Holy Small Naval world Batman!!!!
I know the USS Luce very well!!!
I've been on-board probably a half-dozen times including a trip high up in the combat/firing control center.
The overhaul and upgrade you are referring to happened in the early/mid 70s I believe when it was re-designated as DDG-38 (DDG = guided missile destroyer).
My brother spent the better of his 4 years aboard that ship including 2 tours to the Persian Gulf.
He was trained as sonar tech but apparently the Gulf is too shallow for the needs of a sonar operator so they had him manning on of the forward 50 cal. guns.
He got a really good pic one day from up on the super-structure while they were test firing a Harpoon missile.
I probably have a hundred pics from on board I'll have to dig out and post.
I have some great pics of them manning the rails when they were returning from one of their Gulf deployments.
They were parked at Echo pier in Mayport, FL. One of the last times I was there the Saratoga was parked just across the harbor. There was several FFGs parked right next door.
(FFG = guided missile frigate)

What a small world!!
P7010028.JPG
The patch off my hat and a single spent 50 cal. shell is all have left from it.
E.

We put the Luce out of commission in January of 1970 for a class A overhaul. At the time it was classed as a DLG, destroyer leader/guided missile. The Navy in their wisdom reclassed it as a DDG, destroyer/guided missile. It is the same ship. I worked as a firecontrol technician on the guided missile radars and computers. We had a tour in the Persian Gulf during '68 and 69. I spent over four years on the Luce with some temp instructor duty assignments. We were home ported out of Mayport, Florida when I was on her.

This was the sad part, seeing these pictures when she was scrapped in the Philadelphia Naval Yard.

05013819.jpg05013827.jpg05013835.jpg05013829.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, I leave town for a week and you guys go berserk!

Went to Tahoe for my 50 year old son's wedding. ( more later)

Saw lots of things up and down the east side of the sierra's. ( more later)

Time for some train photos. ( even though I love ships too)

Motorcar 2120 (date and location unknown) (M. Morrow from C. Dishinger Collection).

This motorcar was built in 1925 by the Electro-Motive Corporation. It was 58′ 3″ long and equipped with a 200 horsepower engine. The body was built by the St. Louis Car Company.

2120 was retired in August 1954.
image.jpg
Dang it! Lost the photo. How about a Hudson instead ... Frisco built .. Photo 1937.
image.jpg

Carry on ..

We put the Luce out of commission in January of 1970 for a class A overhaul. At the time it was classed as a DLG, destroyer leader/guided missile. The Navy in their wisdom reclassed it as a DDG, destroyer/guided missile. It is the same ship. I worked as a firecontrol technician on the guided missile radars and computers. We had a tour in the Persian Gulf during '68 and 69. I spent over four years on the Luce with some temp instructor duty assignments. We were home ported out of Mayport, Florida when I was on her.

Wow! We have definitely walked some of the same deck plates!!!
I've also been in the fire control room where the 3 targeting computers were kept. They had names for each one: Curly, Moe and Larry. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you guys may have started that.
Did you guys ever host "dependent's cruises"? I've done a couple of those. My Dad was lucky enough to be able to do a "Tiger cruise" where he and 5 or 6 other lucky Dads flew down to Puerto Rico to meet the ship and come aboard for the trip back port 3 days later. Mom was trying to take the pics but go so moved to tears she gave the camera over to me.
That was one of the return-trips where I got all those pics with the crew manning the rails.
I still get goose-bumps whenever I see that sight.

For anyone who has never experienced that sight, it is definitely one to put on your "bucket list" right next to watching the changing of guards at the "Tomb of the Unknowns" - in person of course!
E.

Now comes the fun, track planning. The cabinets could be a problem. Can they be raised up? If cabinets are properly installed, it's usually just a matter of a few screws.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a drop down section so I don't have to duck under. It is for hidden staging tracks that also allow for continuous running. When I first put it up, it was supposed to be temporary but is has been working for over 25 years so I never improved it. Here are a few pictures.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

The third picture shows a couple of scraps of wood that align the tracks where the slide bolts hold the track in position. The last shows the feeder wires are fed from the fixed end under the piano hinge and then they are soldered to the bridge tracks. Simple but effective. I usually have it in the down position as I usually don't run continuously. The span is about 30 inches.

It is amazing what model railroaders can come up with. I have a turntable that was scratchbuilt out of brass over 49years ago before kits were available. It is powered by an old player piano motor. It still works. I can't claim the build because it was given to me when another modeler removed a section of his layout to expand.

Evening All,

Spent the morning downtown then had to help my son with a back flat tire on his scooter. I did manage to do another pour for the lake and put some details in the lake. I will post a pic tomorrow. Daughter is having the siding (the stuff we painted) installed today and tomorrow so the boys are spending the night here, so it will be a pizza night.

Patrick- I look forward to seeing your progress. I was thinking about the cabinets. How about painting sky and clouds on the bottom of the upper cabinets to simulate sky. Just an idea.

I hope everyone has a good night.

ssn711_sanfrancisco.jpg

Since we are posting Navy pictures, I was stationed on USS San Francisco (SSN-711) from 1987-1992 (my last submarine assignment). This was taken returning to Pearl after a Westpac.

Good afternoon everyone,
Hi Flo & Francine, Just something cold t drink, Ice water sounds great.

Per WW: Overcast, I actually got just a bit of rain, but back to being overcast;
95.2 °F - Feels Like 93 °F;

Winds are from West at 3.7 mph - Earlier I think they blowing at about 25 mph;

Good morning .... Happy Canada Day in case Canadians are on board.

Anybody have any plans for July? .... I hope to get more work done on the layout.

It good to remember Canada day as they are very good neighbors .

As far as plans I don't intend on going anywhere over the 4th weekend. I've been helping another buddy to get an steel security door and railing across his breezeway. He's unfamiliar with doing construction but learning quite well.

When are you planning on coming out to Calif and where about are you headed to. Maybe I can drive up and meet with you for a bit?

Good morning. It's mostly clear and 67.
My new laptop is supposed to be here tomorrow, so I can stop using my tablet to post.
Note to anyone: laptops don't respond to having a cup of hot coffee poured on their keyboard very well...

Terry: I've bought, 'Contigo', spill proof coffee mug as well as their cold drink mugs and they have saved me numerous times. They truly seal completely until you depress the Thumb latch on the coffee cup [as it has a handle] or button on the cold drink mug. On the outside I'm not sure where they are available but probably through Amazon?

Good morning, we have 60 degrees and heading for 68. The temps cooled off last night and it is going to be like this for a few days.

David, I wish my weather was more like yours. It sure looked like it was going to rain again and I did get about 8 thunder boomers but no rain except for a slight sprinkle prior, enough the cause the dry oats and ground to give of a musty odor. Oh well.

Let's see:

View attachment 50870

This is the outline of my bench....Longest side is 10 feet. There is a 6' wall on the bottom side 9" from the layout. My bridges will run across the 2' opening on the right hand side. The table stands IIRC at 42". My biggest issue is that there is a wall of cabinets sitting 9" above the layout on the left wall. The space was setup like there was a dry bar. I am using the cabinets as storage as I lost most of the under table storage I used to have during the moves.

I guess I'll have to make a new thread about my build. I finally got SCARM to let me at least get my layout outline.

It looks like your coming along quite nicely. One thing I wonder about it the layout play the overall size of the room or are you leaving a walk way all around it?

Hope everyone's day is good.

Good evening. Rain has threatened all afternoon and evening, but has never materialized.
Tonight's model train photo is of a trio of Alcos traveling dead-in-tow to a scrap dealer. SAL 1527, BN 5112, and LV 408 trail a pair of second generation ATSF EMDs on their way to meet their fate. A close look shows the reason why 408, at least, is headed for a date with the torch: Oil stains on the engine access doors indicate a blown engine...

F970B2AC-A7D5-4723-A3BC-D66DF507ABEA.png

Say Terry, That's an interesting portion of of your layout you chose for your shot and nicely set up scene. I like mill style building too, that was quite a bit of work to assemble I'll bet?

Thanks for posting.

Oh, being that 408 has a blown engine and headed for the scrap pile can she be bought for a reasonable price? LoL Nice weatheing job.

Good morning all
Rainy and 68, stock at work til 4, then pre-op visit with my Doctor. MAYBE I'll get to the basement tonight,,,,maybe.

Back