Running Bear's Cofee Shop LI

LASM

I like the photos you posted !

Yeah ... DITTO, LASM!

Going to be more of the same today .. Clear, sunny, high 92, zero precip.

Off to the auto shop this morning .. Car has engine light on and we have trip to Northern Cal planned in a few days.
Then to get blood work gone.

Nice pic CHET .. Too bad he was not just a little lower in the open space.

A learning experience this morning.

Note to self: Wear plastic gloves next time you try your hand at weathering powders!!
You guys warned me that stuff gets all over everything.
All I did was put some grimy black on my sand facility bin in an attempt to make the timbers look creosoted. I guess it's ok.

Seems I have a couple of bad spots on my track after ballasting. I just ran the GP38 I got from Terry and pulled a couple of cars. If it wasn't all-wheel drive I imagine it would have had problems coming off. I can hear it trying to derail in a couple of places. Shouldn't be too difficult to scrape away the excess gravel I'm sure is stuck to the rail.
It's just a matter of getting motivated.
Well, at least I got a little something done so far today - and learned something to!!

As for the Windows saga, it has been my opinion Win8 (any flavor) should have never been brought to the desktop environment. Phones and tables .... I don't use either so I have no opinion there.
I have done some o/s systems work and it's super intense and highly technical - more so than the 4 compilers I've written or any device driver or interrupt controller I've done as well. Anytime you have code that needs to interact with hardware, you're in for a world of headaches.
I used Win7 on the last cloud-based server I worked on. I'd be fine with that. I hope Win10 is built on that platform - which I imagine was built on the XP Pro kernel just as it was built on the NT server kernel.

Just my thoughts. Time for a beer.
E.

Good afternoon. It's mostly sunny and 95.

Last Tuesday, I sent a package (laptop) via UPS from my work to my stepson at his work. UPS lost it for me.
No, I didn't itemize what was in the package when I sent it.
UPS says they are conducting an investigation into this, and will send out a letter to me in six business days outlining their findings.
I wish they had lost the two locomotives I sent to BLI, instead of this laptop...

Chet - you seem to have all the luck with photos! That's a once-in-a-lifetime shot if I ever seen one!

Laz - I like your layout photos too.

I have a photo I took in New Orleans back in 1994, where storm clouds were gathering behind a famous church. Made an 8x10 of it and framed it. I'll have to scan it and post it on here sometime...

Eric - regarding ballast-induced track problems: The biggest one I run into is where my originally un-ballasted track was on a surface that wasn't 100% flat, i.e., there was a bit of an air gap between the bottoms of the ties and the roadbed. Not much of a problem before ballasting; but after the ballast cement dries, it contracts, and sucks the track down into the depression - creating a dip or pulling a rail lower on one side. That's why I always use cement that is easily dissolved by 91% ISO, so I can soften it and stick a shim or two underneath to fix those problems as soon as I find them.

Geez Terry, you seem to have the worst of luck with carriers! Did they mark the package as "delivered" even though your stepson didn't receive it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chet - you seem to have all the luck with photos! That's a once-in-a-lifetime shot if I ever seen one!

Laz - I like your layout photos too.

I have a photo I took in New Orleans back in 1994, where storm clouds were gathering behind a famous church. Made an 8x10 of it and framed it. I'll have to scan it and post it on here sometime...

Eric - regarding ballast-induced track problems: The biggest one I run into is where my originally un-ballasted track was on a surface that wasn't 100% flat, i.e., there was a bit of an air gap between the bottoms of the ties and the roadbed. Not much of a problem before ballasting; but after the ballast cement dries, it contracts, and sucks the track down into the depression - creating a dip or pulling a rail lower on one side. That's why I always use cement that is easily dissolved by 91% ISO, so I can soften it and stick a shim or two underneath to fix those problems as soon as I find them.

Geez Terry, you seem to have the worst of luck with carriers! Did they mark the package as "delivered" even though your stepson didn't receive it?
They did a destination scan on it-- at 9:00 at night.
Now, they don't know where it is.

Ah. I understand. There was only one place where the track seemed like it was floating but that's not one of my trouble spots. They are minor so far. I'm not really worried.
When I get motivated, I'll just strap on the magnifier hood and have a good "look see" and figure out what's going on.
E.

Ah. I understand. There was only one place where the track seemed like it was floating but that's not one of my trouble spots. They are minor so far. I'm not really worried.
When I get motivated, I'll just strap on the magnifier hood and have a good "look see" and figure out what's going on.
E.

Got that all taken care of. It's all sounding and running good now.
I'll do some more testing with other engines and some longer pulls to see how it plays out.
Maybe setup my usual consist and pull all those passenger cars would be a good test.

Just got back from town and have to move hoses. I try to keep our 2 acre lawn green the old fashion way, by moving hoses. I think I'm getting too old for this work.

If you like my photos, here are a couple of photos sent to me by a friend in California of the Endeavours last flight. Told you I like aircraft.

8D0_1912em.jpg8D0_2004em.jpg

Evening All,

Just finished spaghetti and salad. Today I finished the ballasting for the project. Tomorrow I am taking my youngest grandson to the train club in the morning. He tends to be hyper and I didn't want him bothering other members. After that I will probably connect the building lighting and Pennsy sign in the new locations.

I am looking forward to hearing about Win 10 from the computer savvy. I am pretty clueless about computers and operating systems.

Montanan- Nice Pics.

I'm sorry I forgot who posted the club photos. It looks like a fun layout.

20150623_160825_zps4yn7twfu.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon Gandy dancers',

I've been busy the last few days. Yesterday around 3:30 Pm I decided to head the 31 miles down to Madera, Calif and have two new 'Good Ride' tires put on my Turbo Eclipse. Schoettlers' Tire shop, where I went, is on Gateway blvd., or the Old Hwy 99 that basically runs North and South in Calif. As such the Old SP & SF tracks, now BNSF, parallel the hwy. In fact before the actual freeway went in, I've been over that same blvd., when going on vacation many years back as we headed North from the L.A. area.

Shortly after arriving there I saw/heard a a train coming down the line headed South towards Fresno. My view from the shops parking lot, looking East and across Gateway Blvd with other businesses somewhat spread apart across the way and in front of the tracks, so my view was somewhat hampered. I saw for only a short bit, and I didn't have my cell phone camera ready, a Old delapadated BNSF Tunnel motor Diesel heading up the drag, which looked like it had just come through HELL! Seriously! The paint on the body was very badly faded, the BNSF name was almost not readable, the body area below air intake vents as well as the vents and roof area including some of the side pannels were very black and sooty looking like there had been a fire or something but it was pulling hard with another older diesel behind it, although the line there is level but there was a extremely long line of mixed tank cars and with some others thrown in it was quite a sight and a very long train. At the complete end was another diesel pushing. I'm not sure about the number of cars in the train but I would venture to say at least 100 or more?

I'm a bit beat as I used my new Troy Built 4 cycle Weed Trimmer earlier today and need some rest as it's rather hot now but I have alot more when it cools down this evening as well as during the next week or more to get the place cleaned up. Acreage requires work. I also brought back some straw type ground cover with grass seeds in it to try and get the front yard looking like it has a lawn to it as the grass is very sparse as is.

Time for a nap.

Talk with you all later.

My, My, DAVID. That sounds like a lot of work. I once had 20 acres a little west of here towards Pendleton .. I thought it would kill me as most of it was at a 30-50 degree slope. Rolled my Kubota tractor once .. Lucky it threw me far enough away to escape the tractor. Did manage to crack several ribs and a severely sprained wrist.

CHET. I have many, many miles in each of these: 747-100 serial 17110 and 707-131b serial 6782.
The 747 was a delight to fly .. The 707 was my favorite ( not totally hydraulic boosted ). When you cranked the yoke over, it took a little muscle, and it made such smoooth roll on landings.
image.jpg

Sherrel ... Wow .. I bet you could write a book about your flying experiences. .... Glad you survived the tractor roll over... Reminds me of a neighbor we have who drinks too much. Only guy I know who rolled his tractor into the lake without hurting himself.

Chet ... When NASA was touring the country with the shuttle piggybacked on a 747, I saw it landing at the airfield at Fort Campbell, KY not far from here. Quite a sight ! ... I was driving on I-24, and it passed over the highway about 1 or 2 miles ahead of me.

David .... Sounds like you saw an interesting train.

Big E ... For what it is worth, I have a lot of respect for guys who do your kind of work on computers.

Happy model railroading, everybody !

Good evening,

My, My, DAVID. That sounds like a lot of work. I once had 20 acres a little west of here towards Pendleton .. I thought it would kill me as most of it was at a 30-50 degree slope. Rolled my Kubota tractor once .. Lucky it threw me far enough away to escape the tractor. Did manage to crack several ribs and a severely sprained wrist.

Sherrel, I have the same size area as well as the angled slopes or much steeper in one spot which I don't even consider going back there, but only try and keep about 2 acres cleaned up, without the tractor, I still need to replace the small pinion? gear on my tractor's starter. It's a bit more of a job and this heat doesn't help too much either. Although there was a cool breeze blowing this morning which was great. But none the less it's a workout for me but also feels good.

Speaking of rolling a tractor, glad you weren't hurt too severly. which I haven't done thank goodness, but I had a close call about 20 years ago when I graded a gradual path up the 30* slope of the hill behind the home so I could pull my 14 Cu-Ft dump trailer up the hill side to cut up some dead Oak for fire wood and load it in the trailer and then slowly drop down the path on the back side to return back to the house. Well I had the trailer fairly well loaded with most of the weight up front in the trailer to keep weight on the rear axel of the tractor. It was Winter time and the ground and was wet as well as the green oats in the fields. Everything was going fine till I attempted to make a sharp turn in down path and I lost traction and the tractor being pushed by the over loaded trailer skidded down the hill side for about 100' I'm sure and needless to say the trailer tipped over and dumped cut wood everywhere. Did I have a job trying to collect it all after I got the trailer straightened out again. For a bit I thought I was going to plow into a barb wire fence but it finally stopped just a little short of it. I wasn't sure if I was ever going to get it stopped!

Sherrel ... Wow .. I bet you could write a book about your flying experiences. .... Glad you survived the tractor roll over... Reminds me of a neighbor we have who drinks too much. Only guy I know who rolled his tractor into the lake without hurting himself.

David .... Sounds like you saw an interesting train.

Happy model railroading, everybody !

Yes Garry, the engine was quite a interesting sight alright. In talking with another friend he said that was a GE style of Loco and they do smoke a lot. I'm still learning about the newer diesels.

Good morning all. Starting off at 54 degrees this morning.

Curt - Looking good. Seems like you're moving right along.

Sherrel - Never had the controls of anything that big. I did have access to my cousins Cessena 421 while I was living in Florida and flew it on a regular basis. In the late 70's I ferried a F4u Corsair from North Dakota to Midland Texas for the Confederate Air Force and got to go up in a B-17 and even took the controls for a few minutes. Now I usually go up in either a Beechcraft G-36 or an old Bird Dog. I think the Bird Dog is my favorite. You can go up and enjoy the scenery and just enjoy yourself sightseeing.

Terry - I have seen the video you posted over the weekend before. At first it looked familiar but when I saw the 0-5-0 helper, I knew I saw it for sure.

Gotta work in the office today so I guess I had better get to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, we have 70 and mostly sunny.

THANKS for the compliments on my layout photos of yesterday.

CURT I like how yours is turning out

AIRPLANES I have only flown commercial once, I am 57 years old so something to be proud of. As a wildland fire fighter in my younger days worked several seasons on Helitac so helicopter travel was routine. It is a real adrenaline rush to fly into a wildfire and get dropped off with a shovel and a radio.

COMPUTERS I use them for work and sit in front of the screen a lot. Someone else makes all the decisions and keeps it working.

Good Morning. 63 and very clear.
Today
High 92 | Low 60 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 95.9 | Low 59.5 °F
Precip. 0 in

WPatrick. I've heard the same from other folks who live and work in the St Louis area.

TWA's demise was caused by management who did not want to expand, but instead, drained the cash flow from the airline.
When the banks obtained control from Howard H; they actually stated that the reason the airline was selling its cargo business was because there was no future in the pacific, and the cargo business. What a shame .. It was a world class airline at one time.

One of my first commercial flights was on TWA out of Lambert circa 1970 or 71 on our way to Jamaica via Miami.
I think it was Pan-Am from Miami on to Jamaica. There wasn't regular flights to Jamaica back then so I think we had a day or 2 layover.
Since then I've flown in and out of Lambert a couple times.
I haven't flow in well over 15 years now. I'm sure things are way different nowadays and wouldn't hardly know what I was doing.
E.

Back