Running Bear's Cofee Shop LI

Curt, et.al.:
Do you mean some stuff like this ancient tube I had (that is no good now)?
P6250028.JPG
And if I want to stick down a tree like this old one with a base, how would I get the ISO under it to loosen it up?
Or would I apply some to the top outer edges and not under it?
P6250028_1.JPG
E.

Good afternoon.
UPS finally delivered the laptop I sent to my stepson. It had stickers on it from every distribution center and station it had been to. The box looked like one of the suitcases you would see on a looney tunes show.
Even though the box looked like it had been hooked to the back of the truck and dragged to Florida from here, the laptop and bag were intact.

Good morning, Spike Pounding Friends,
How's everything here at Running Bears' Diner/Coffee shop this morning/afternoon? Hi Flo and Francine, I'll have some coffee and some multi-grain bread with Real Butter and Apricot Jam, if you would? Thanks Francine.

On the weather scene:
Skys are Clear and Sunny at 92.1 °F - Feels Like 89 °F;
Winds are from the SW at 3.7 mph. I'm not getting the expected high but I would guess around 98 °F? It finally showed up,
only 104 °F. Am I lucky or what??

Good morning guys. We had on and off light rain all night, a little sun poking through this morning.

I drive around a lot in the countryside for my job and have been seeing a lot of fawns lately.

Thankfully the bad weather had been dodging us.

The cheapest gas I remember was 24 cents a gallon but on my layout you can buy it for 12:

View attachment 50705

Say David, I like your scene I also have the same little gas, mines a Phillips Station, it's all painted up and ready to assemble but not sure where I'm going to put it till I get more of my track work down.

But I will say one thing, now I know where I can buy gas for $0.12 a gal. I know where I'm headed from now own!!
Actually I can remember when gas was going for about that price in the early 1960's when I had a small Honda Sport 50cc motor cycle.

Nice idea - if I had one. Not big giant deal really. It's ok if I can't save them all. I got some more of the same ones when I got the new ones just in case. Now I've probably got more light pole lights than I'll ever use.
I just don't like the idea of not being able to re-use something that was working just fine and dandy.
E.

Say Eric, If your lampost have a solid base or could be filled in with almost anything to give more surface area, even partially, assuming the base is just a shell, I was going to suggest, 'Woodland Scenics Hobby Tack'. As long as the area you want to place it is clean and free of dust and other grass etc. it works very well at holding things in place. Just coat the bottom with the White milky looking stuff and wait till it dries and then stick it in place. The stuff is very tacky and holds very well yet it can be fairly easily removed and repositioned to another clean spot. I use it to tack things down such as the Horseshoe Meadow Depot to the wood platform so I can remove it later to put light in it. I will also use it to hold it to the layout to prevent any movement. Oh, and it water soluable too if you should get any on you, it very tacky for sure!

Say Francine, how about some more coffee. Thanks.

Thanks to all of you for the comments on your airline experiences. Nice ride there, CHET.

I am going to be more or less out of touch for the next six days. I may get a chance to sneak a peek somewhere along the road.

Stay safe all, and remember: Never in the course of commercial aviation has an airplane failed to return to earth!

Say Sherrel, I can remember on a return flight from Bostons' Logan Airport back to Fresno in about 1998, I'm not sure of the Airline I was on but there when the pilot reached cruising altitude or about 30,000 ft and speed of about 550 mph it seemed seemed like the flight was going nowhere and after a while the pilot came on the loud speaker and said the plane was bucking an 800 mph head wind due to the jet stream in the atmosphere and he was going to have to divert course further North to avoid it as were loosing ground and being pushed further back all the time. I think that flight was about 2+ hours late arriving.

Good morning, 78 and sunny, four days of rain on the horizon though. Today is lawn maintenance day. :rolleyes:

Say Joe, Speaking of lawn maintenance I did a bit yesterday my self buy scratching the ground fairly well in a few spots and sprinkling on some old grass seed I had and then covering it with a straw type of ground cover that is also supposed to have grass seeds mixed in with it too. No grass yet, so I guess the darn stuff was No Good? LoL That reminds me of a joke about a city guy that moves to the country and decides he's going to start a pig ranch. But it's a bit risque so I won't go any further.

I also really gave myself a workout yesterday doing weed eating. Last week I bought a Troy Built 30 cc 4 cycle String Trimmer Plus, it accepts other attachments just like the last two I've had did as the shaft separates at about the mid point to accept a variety of attachments. It's really very useful to help in doing many tasks. My area has a lot of field grass of the Oat variety. I cut back and irregular shaped area that was probably about 125x125 in size that had Oat grass about 15" or higher in areas. About half of the area is on about a 6*[degree] slope and the other half is on about a 30* slope so I was quite beat after finishing yesterday evening. I again almost used up a completely filled tank of gas with just the slightest bit left. Now I have a lot of cut dry grass to use an Iron rake to gather and drag down the hill on the one side and across the slight slope on the other side. Aah country life, it does keep me in shape and feels good but I'm beat right now but recuperating!

> >
Oh, my other local friend Joe went up to Oregon to the TM RR 7.5" gauge railroad meet. He said the location is a 2,200 acre
ranch with I think 13.26 miles of track. He said even riding on the small loop it took an hour to go around. He said there were all kind of loco's there that guy's had built. Must really be a sight! He bought a video they are making showing all the various segments of the meet.

Hope everyone has a great afternoon

David/LASM, In your shot it looks like you have an I-beam just off the end of the ties, surprising the trains will clear it?

Good afternoon.
UPS finally delivered the laptop I sent to my stepson. It had stickers on it from every distribution center and station it had been to. The box looked like one of the suitcases you would see on a looney tunes show.
Even though the box looked like it had been hooked to the back of the truck and dragged to Florida from here, the laptop and bag were intact.

Gees.... [shaking my head]
At least he finally got it intact.

Say Eric, If your lampost have a solid base or could be filled in with almost anything to give more surface area, even partially, assuming the base is just a shell, I was going to suggest, 'Woodland Scenics Hobby Tack'. As long as the area you want to place it is clean and free of dust and other grass etc. it works very well at holding things in place. Just coat the bottom with the White milky looking stuff and wait till it dries and then stick it in place. The stuff is very tacky and holds very well yet it can be fairly easily removed and repositioned to another clean spot. I use it to tack things down such as the Horseshoe Meadow Depot to the wood platform so I can remove it later to put light in it. I will also use it to hold it to the layout to prevent any movement. Oh, and it water soluable too if you should get any on you, it very tacky for sure!

No they didn't come with bases but I have built bases for them.
NewLampPosts.JPG
Here is one of the old ones with a base I built.
LampPostBase.JPG

If you are talking about just tacky stuff, why not just use rubber cement then?

Gees.... [shaking my head]
At least he finally got it intact.
If I had just picked up the box and started walking, it would be halfway there. I've never been to the place it got sent, but I'm pretty sure I would have been able to walk right to it without getting lost.
I guess it is good it wasn't anything perishable...

David/LASM, In your shot it looks like you have an I-beam just off the end of the ties, surprising the trains will clear it?

DAVID trussrod

You must be talking about the post for the flashing crossing lights. I had to "compress" the dimensions a little to get everything to fit in there, but no trains bump into it.

Good afternoon, It's 82 degrees under sunny skies.

TOOT Watched a short SRY train come into town yesterday. They are still using cabooses. It's like a step back in time. I was too far away to get a decent photograph, maybe I'll get lucky in the next few days.

Not doing a heck of a lot today. Maybe sift a bunch of dirt for the layout if I get a sudden spurt of energy.

Mel

hirailer, they would have had a reversing move somewhere. Both SRY and MRL use the cabooses for that. A couple of crewmen ride the rear platform and radio the engineer about track conditions during the move. Seems, apart from maybe MOW duties, this is all they get used for now.

Evening All,

Just finished grilled chicken for supper. I spent around 3 hours today making 57 trees, well the first part anyway. I shaped the trunks and used white glue to attach the Lichen. Tomorrow I will use hair spray and add highlights to the trees. The bag has 114 trunks but 57 of them are so small as to be useless in HO scale. They are probably for N or Z scale.

Lasm- Nice scene.

Big E- Congrats on the moderator job. If you are using the tree stands what I would do is spray ISO heavily around the edge, let it sit for a couple of minutes then use something thin to slide under it and pry it up spraying ISO as necessary. I actually drill holes and put the trunks in those holes (I move trees a lot) and just set the trunks in the holes. Yes that caulk will work. The photo shows what I received as a gift so I don't know what it costs but it has to be cheaper than premade trees.

20150625_092720_zpsfwuvzuyw.png

I hope everyone has a good night.

Say Eric,

No they didn't come with bases but I have built bases for them.
View attachment 50716
Here is one of the old ones with a base I built.
View attachment 50717

If you are talking about just tacky stuff, why not just use rubber cement then?

By using Hobby Tack 'HT', if you apply it to the base of the light pole, assuming there is a fair amount of area to apply the hobby tack to for sufficient hold, and allow it to dry till it's clear, approximately 20 minutes, it allows you to stick it to a clean surface and if not positioned exactly as you want it you can easily lift it up and reposition it and do this several times
so if you decide you'd rather have the head turned more one way or the other just lift it up and turn it and set it down again and it's tacked in place. Even several days later. You can't do that with rubber cement.

Also it's great for tacking down detail items like people, barrels, animals etc. etc. and again they can repositioned or relocated as desired to a clean surface.
Once the HT looses it's tackyness just use some water to clean it off and apply fresh stuff. It's just that simple.

Back