Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all. One more day til Monday! Spent some quality time at the workbench yesterday. Remember that Santa Fe 2-10-2? Well someone wants it, so its sold. That precipitated another project. I have another one in the box, but it's all in pieces. Since I received this one in pieces I have no references for how it came apart. All of the major components were in a one gallon freezer bag, the drivers and running gear in a sandwich bag (all still together), and the hardware in a snack bag. Kind of like this 2-10-4 in similar condition:

IMG_2880.JPG

Which comes out of the box like this:

IMG_2881.JPG

These projects are much easier if you have an identical assembled model on hand. The list of things to do goes kind of like this:
1: Lay everything out. 2: look for broken items that need fixing and failed solder joints. They're will be some! 3: Disassemble the running gear and drivers, and remove the brake shoes from the frame. I have compartmented boxes to keep right and left rods separated, and other parts like driveline parts, tender parts and such together. 4: Dive into the bag of loose hardware. Maybe a dozen types of tiny metric screws and you have to figure out what goes where. This is where having an assembled model comes in really handy. If you're experienced enough (and I am) you can figure it all out, but having a complete one to refer to saves a bunch of time! I typically install the screws in whatever part they're for. Frame screws into the frame, tender truck screws into the tender floor, you get the idea. This little bit of fun will probably take you an hour or two.

For me, the next step is into the blasting booth to remove tarnish, corrosion, and the like. You may also find a few loose parts at this step. I tape off the driver axles and cover the bearings and brush off blast the drivers, lead & trailing truck wheels and the tender wheels so they'll take paint better, but this is an optional step. For those of us that don't have a blasting booth, paint stripper and a tooth brush work well enough. I did them this way for a number of years with good results. Side note: blasting booths are cheap. A good one will cost you less than the cost of a locomotive. Compressors with enough guts to run one correctly aren't cheap. A two stage one is recommended. If you are considering one of these setups, you'll probably spend around a grand if you do it right. Ouch, right? Next step (for me) after blasting is the ultrasonic cleaner for 7-10 minutes, then a trip to the sink to rinse off the cleaning solution. You can skip the ultrasonic cleaner and go straight to the sink with some soapy water and a toothbrush. Rinse everything off, and then I blow it dry with compressed air and let it sit for a day to let any water hiding in corners & crevices to evaporate. At this point you're here:

IMG_2879.JPG

I'll paint it today. I always try and paint within 24 hours of cleaning so oxidation doesn't have a chance to get started again. You'll notice the previous owner had cut out the tender floor for a speaker (from the PFM sound system days). Not sure what I'll do here. To sound or not. 🤔

Good morning from the deck in Wisconsin.

Guy: never under estimate the power of a picture. As I mentioned that trestle to me was awesome and also was a picture I need to start a scene I have been putting off. I am a visual person and when working on my layout pictures make it easier for me to build, if that makes sense. The wild life are interesting creatures and nice pictures.

Well, I have an answer to my exhaustion issues the past couple weeks. I was informed yesterday morning I have Lymes disease. So yesterday afternoon we hit the magical donut hole for the huge amount of drugs prescribed to fight it. The drugs kicked me around as the visiting nurse says they experiment until they get it right. So, if I am not here as often, the spirit is willing but maybe not the rest of me. Have a great safe day.

TomO

Several Coffee Shop visitors have expressed interest in the Lego displays at the Mississippi Coast Model Railroad Museum. Here are some non-layout pictures that I took last year on my visit. I know that Beady would be going nuts over these, I hope that he pays us a visit and sees them.
These are on display on the walls around many of the layout rooms.
First a couple of overall views in one room.
09-27-19 trip 004.JPG

09-27-19 trip 011.JPG

Now some close-ups of different ones.
09-27-19 trip 012.JPG
09-27-19 trip 013.JPG

09-27-19 trip 014.JPG
09-27-19 trip 015.JPG
09-27-19 trip 016.JPG
09-27-19 trip 017.JPG

While I do not know much about their planned expansion across the street, I have a sneaking suspicion that they will move the Legos over there. Their website does not currently give much information.

Good morning ....

Tom O .... I'm very sorry to hear you have Lymes disease, and I'll pray you get well soon.

Willie .... I like your photos of your busy layout. Also, the Legos display is amazing.

Alan .... The brass locomotive project looks like it could be fun.

34998860314_c52bc7fbc5_b.jpg

Everybody .... Have a nice Sunday.

Well, I have an answer to my exhaustion issues the past couple weeks. I was informed yesterday morning I have Lymes disease.

Hope you get through that ok, TomO; I feel really bad for you. How are you so unlucky that you contracted an uncommon tick-borne disease. I believe there is less than 1000 annual cases here in Canada. I read up on it while I was learning about mosquito's and west-nile. At least it is treatable, and I wish you the best.

It sure is early for you Guy! Sorry that you can't get back to sleep.

Thanks for that, Willie. Actually, I took a couple of hits of melatonin, and went back to the stable for a couple more hours. All rested up now!

Yep! That new Lego is something else. I couldn't spot the basic square building that it allowed you to build when I was a kid, so I guess the collection only includes the newer, fancy stuff. I do know how much that stuff hurts when you step on it; I've heard all parents hate Lego!

I'm looking forward to the tutorial on ground cover, Willie! I'm holding you to the promise.

Alan - That locomotive rebuild looks like a very interesting niche of the hobby. I'm looking forward to see it all come together!

The coffee shop is my favorite place on this site. What a wonderful wealth of information all in one spot! - The dedicated build threads found elsewhere are also extremely interesting and I hope folks continue with those, as well. My next structure build will be in a dedicated thread with a bit of interest displayed in the coffee shop.

I'll let you make up your mind as to what happened here in this photo. I don't know what took place, but, I'm betting that a raven dropped it, over it being hit by a train. Perhaps the train did do it, though. It's just a gruesome point of interest on the prototype layout:
Bambi_08-11-2020.jpg

Have a good day, everyone!

Good morning America, how are ya? First time back here in close to two months! I've dropped by a few times to try and catch up, but I'm way behind! I've (we've) been busier than the proverbial cat in a litter box with two trips back to Illinois in the past month We've had some good and not so good things going on, but overall, it's been good.

The first good news is.............our oldest granddaughter got married! We still can't get over the fact that she's grown up, but we've finally come to terms with it. We're getting old!

The second good thing is..............we got our house in Illinois sold! We close on it on the 24th. That we be a big, big relief, not to mention, a money saver as well. We'll get to take our name off the utilities and quit paying property tax and insurance on it. That'll put a little more money in our pockets.

The third good thing is...........we have got all of our stuff here in Tennessee! I gave up a lot of stuff, but what I've kept, I managed to stuff it in my 12x16 storage shed. Still have to organize it so I can find things. That may take awhile!!!

The not so good has been with our youngest fur kid, my baby. Riley got sick a little over a week ago, so we took him to a new vet here in Tennessee, that was supposed to be good. That cost us about $250 but she didn't do him any good. Found another group of vets that have been absolutely fantastic, the best people that we have ever dealt with for our dogs! They did a biopsy and sent it off to check for cancer, won't get the results until Wednesday or Thursday. They are starting to think he may be suffering from a tick borne disease. It's been a nerve wracking time of it with him. Two trips in two days to the animal hospital when his temperature kept shooting up. It got up to 105.4 yesterday around noon and we wrapped him in damp towels to bring his fever down.

SDC10664.JPG

The fourth good thing is that the towels and his new medicine has been steadily dropping his fever and this morning it was down to 99.9, which the vet said was good. He drank on his own for the first time in three days, the vet has been injecting him with saline or whatever, to make a water bubble on his back to keep him hydrated. Made him look like a camel, but it kept him from dehydrating. Hopefully, the biopsy will come back negative and the current treatment will take care of everything.

The fifth good thing is that I may get to have my layout in the third bedroom after all. That will be a lot cheaper and I won't have to heat and cool an extra space. Plus, it's been way too hot to build a building outside the last two months! The next month or so will make the final decision.

I've got one more quick trip back to Illinois to take care of business. Will just be an overnight thing, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'll be glad when we're done with these trips! It's about nine hours one way, not horrible, but it sure gets old!

Hopefully, things will go well and we don't get bad news from the vet for my Little Buddy! I plan on being back here on a more regular basis, much to the detriment of this fine establishment! So as long as I don't find the doors locked, I will be around!

Later gents!

Good morning....I'll start with a coffee Flo.thanks.
Nothing much to report,other than Scale trains is making an announcement on the 27th I believe. None of the others are doing much, can't make money if your not producing. I've had an engine on order from Intermountain for a year now so I think I forget about that.
I'll see your year and raise it to two. Its been 2 years since I placed my deposit for a Bowser Alco RS3 with DCC/sound decorated in Western Maryland speed lettering, still waiting........

Good Midday to all youz peeps. Only supposed to be 95 today and tomorrow - then back to the 100's again after that. Was enough clouds yesterday that made me think we might have a rolling shower - but, NO Such Luck!

Ill make some additional comments later on, but FLO ... I have lost my Long-haired Double-breasted Mess-cook due to her surgery! Would you ask MEL to make me a couple sunny up eggs with sourdough toast, salsa, hash browns, and sausage? A coke to wash it down with, please?

GUY - Haven't seen any "chain gangs" around here for 5-7 years - can't remember - but they used them all the time cleaning up the Interstate until someone decided that it was some type of unjust punishment BS!
As far as I am concerned they were just earning their room and board.

LEGO --- keeping the petrochemical business humming!

Its been 2 years since I placed my deposit for a Bowser Alco RS3 with DCC/sound decorated in Western Maryland speed lettering,

Karl: I would have been in the same boat, had they offered a PRR unit in the 1966 Keystone Scheme. ;) OTOH, it's now 20 months since I ordered a Rapido SW1200 with Flexicoil Trucks in PC scheme. Used to catch these at Edgemoor (DE), and they rocked horribly on the bad track in Edgemoor yard.

It's my understanding that both offerings were delayed due to tooling and QC issues.

TomO: Sorry to hear that the Deer Ticks got ya. My oldest son had it back when he was in the fifth grade, and he was hospitalized for over a week. It does go away...

B.Bob: Good to hear things are working out. Hope the Dog gets well quickly.

Willie: Those Legos are amazing.

Garry: Nice photo. great scene.

Guy: I had more encounters with deer that I care to recall. When they leap out in front of you at 110 MPH, you only hope they bounce clear of the running gear and trainlines. Deer are not my favorites.
Norristown Local @ Miquon 10 August 1968.jpg

Take a Ride on the Reading, Miquon on the Norristown Branch, August 1968...52 years ago.

Last edited:
GUY - Haven't seen any "chain gangs" around here for 5-7 years - can't remember - but they used them all the time cleaning up the Interstate until someone decided that it was some type of unjust punishment BS!
As far as I am concerned they were just earning their room and board.

Sherrel: Some folks think that convicts are all victims of their environment, and any suggestion of punishment is cruel and unjust. I'm just not sure what utopian planet these folks came from.

Good Afternoon all. The heat has been just stifling the last couple of days. heat indexes 110 or more.

Willie - I really like your layout pics. Looks like you managed to get a lot of railroad in that shed.

Louis - Those pics of the auto dealers brought back some nice memories. A couple of friends and I would wait for September when all the new cars would arrive at the dealerships. We would spend a day going dealership to dealership gathering as many pamphlets and brochures has we could. All the dealers let us have them even though we were only 11 or 12 years old.

Bob - Well at least most of it's good news.

Boris - Some nice pics

STAY SAFE and STAY APART

Later

Afternoon All,

Started out with some chores then checked on the taped walls which look OK today. I added 2 lights to inside the RH. I figure I won't see the wires once the walls are up. I also added details to inside the RH. Tomorrow I'll start installing the rear walls. The walls closest to the camera need to wait until I get the welding lights and install them.

Guy- Interesting pictures.

Willie- Nice layout scenes. That is an amazing amount of Legos.

Alan- Interesting how to.

TomO- I hope you get it figured out quickly.

Garry- Great layout shot. I really like the height and distance perspective. Is the rock face from Rubber Rocks by chance?

Bob- I hope your fur baby will be OK. It must be a relief to be about done with IL.

Joe- Nice pictures.

20200816_140004.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

TomO - Sure sad to hear of your battle with the tick. I used to wonder how something so small could deal so much misery .. then in walks a Chigger!
Sure hope you "lick it" and start feeling better. I think that is what GREG just had a few months back - he had a very rough time.

BBob - Widdle prayer for your widdle furry friend. They are just small family members who never learned to talk properly. Glad to hear that all is coming together on the home front!

A few photos of building a FRISCO 4300 -- a remodel from the 2-10-2 Spot series which were not liked.
1597614144967.png

1597614176390.png

1597614234467.png

1597614261538.png

Thanks, GUY, for the comment! I presume that the last photo is the entire Springfield, MO, engine shop crew. I forget how many of these they made during WW2 while motive power was needed for the oil tanker trains moving from OK.

Trivia: Today would have been 43 years since the death of Elvis Presley.
Elvis recorded 600 songs - he did not write a single one of them.
I met him when he was practicing for the Louisiana Hayride two houses down the street from my cousins home before his debut there.

Thanks, GUY, for the comment! I presume that the last photo is the entire Springfield, MO, engine shop crew. I forget how many of these they made during WW2 while motive power was needed for the oil tanker trains moving from OK.

Trivia: Today would have been 43 years since the death of Elvis Presley.
Elvis recorded 600 songs - he did not write a single one of them.
I met him when he was practicing for the Louisiana Hayride two houses down the street from my cousins home before his debut there.

I played it for "the missus".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back