Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Clear skies and 80°. Weatherman is going out on a limb with his prediction of 107° for today when it barely hit 100° the last two days. Weather Underground is calling for 2% humidity later today, rather dry if true. I think that it's a typo and they mean 20%!
Dental cleaning didn't quite go as expected yesterday, the hygienist was a little too aggressive and knocked a filling out. It was on the side of one tooth. So I was there for an extra hour while the dentist put a new one on (in?). Most of that time was waiting for the Novocaine to act. I wasn't charged for it; he had put the original in about eleven months ago. That kinda delayed everything else on my agenda and I didn't get home from the grocery/beer trek until almost 1:00. The dental drill (no pun intended) is to drive up and call them to let them know that you're there. When they are ready (almost immediately in my case), someone comes to the door or car, takes your temperature and ensures that you are wearing a mask. Then you go in and wash your hands for 20 seconds and they lead you back to the room. Then there is the 30 second swishing of antiseptic mouthwash and blood pressure check before they start with any procedure. Masks and face-shields were on all employees that come in contact with patients. I had been through this procedure a few months ago when my crown broke so I knew what to expect. It's good to see that they are being so precautionary.
Last day today to enjoy my granddaughter, she'll be going home. Still have the granddog for a few more days. Other daughter and family are leaving Jersey this morning for the three day leisurely trip back home. Their last two days were not pleasant as the state had to close the beaches in Sea Isle City and Cape May area where they were staying, due to excessive sewage levels in the water. Does that mean that they have acceptable levels? Geez!

Let's give this new filling a workout this morning Flo, a couple of egg, ham, cheese and hash-brown burritos for me today.

Thanks for the continuing likes and comments regarding the pictures of the museum layouts; Guy, Jerome, Tom O, Karl, Sherrel, Chad, Joe, James, Patrick, Justin, Louis, Phil, Curt, Tom.

A good day to be in the train shed with the A/C yesterday. I made the necessary fix on the switch points that were not operating properly. Removed some excess ballast, even though that was not the ultimate issue. I loosened the ground throw and shifted it a bit and re-fastened it and that did the trick almost.
08-14-20 003.JPG

One car still gave me trouble so I took it to the workbench and did an overhaul. Surprise! It still had the original Accurail plastic wheels on it and were replaced immediately. That wasn't the actual issue, but since I had the trucks off, why not? I did some filing on the frame ends to allow an additional .025" coupler swing and that did the trick. All other cars were OK, although I may go ahead and do some filing on them as well in the future just for extra insurance and reliability.
Still adding some ground cover on the south end by the eventual entrance gate, and refined the trailer parking pad.
08-14-20 001.JPG

08-14-20 002.JPG

OK, I promised some pictures of the Lego layouts at the museum today. They have two of them along with several shelves of Lego creations.
09-27-19 trip 031.JPG

09-27-19 trip 032.JPG

09-27-19 trip 033.JPG

09-27-19 trip 034.JPG

09-27-19 trip 030.JPG

I don't remember which pictures came from which layout.

Guy - I wish that you were closer to me so you could show me how to take better pictures. The bears are suburb and your train yard shots are also top-notch. I am hit or miss on my outdoor shots, I delete at least 75%, thank goodness for digital cameras!
Louis - Interesting series of historical photos yesterday.
Joe -
Worst issue right now is stiffness after sitting, and stamina.
I have those issues and I didn't even have surgery!:(
Thanks, I have noticed quite a rise in cases especially locally. While, I suspect some of this is inflated, the reality is that too many people are not following basic common sense. That is not wearing masks, or not wearing them properly, as intended... irony here is while the consensus is the bar and restaurant crowd over at the shore, Governour "Knucklehead" Murphy, is blaming church attendance and religious gatherings. I was in Lowes, twice this week, and the number of careless customers and employees was astounding.
The local media here has "put the fear of God" into many people in the bigger cities. Small rural communities are not so compliant as it's actually up to local governmental units to act in their own jurisdictions. They also have a much lower infection rate. I don't know whether it's cultural or what, but the most non-compliant people in the cities are young Hispanic men. That's especially true in the Rio Grande Valley where Covid is out of control. Cases are decreasing everywhere else. Our rural county has not seen an increase in either cases or deaths in almost three weeks; still only 256 cases and three deaths.

Today is VJ Day here in North America. Due to time zones, it's August 15 on the other side of the pond and down under. If you know of any veterans from that era, give them a hearty salute today.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

Boris: After 11 years since the first and 10 years after the revision, I still get stiff when I sit too long. When I drive any distance, I'm good for the first 3 hours of the day and then have to stop and stretch every 2 hours. If I don't I can't hardly get the knee functioning as quick as I'd like.

Patrick: Good to know, I suspected as much. Meanwhile, I'll keep plugging along, trying to forestall the inevitable.:rolleyes:

Rarely, do I ever sit in front of a TV tube and watch people trying to sell me stuff in between brief spells of game play

Guy: I agree, especially since commercial breaks have increased. Frequently, I tune in out of sheer boredom.

Willie:

Does that mean that they have acceptable levels? Geez!

When we first came to Jersey, going to the beach was an adventure, with tar balls and needles washing in with the tide. problem was solved, when the Coast Guard caught a Physician/Environmental Activist dumping medical waste off shore, and when the City of Asbury Park opened up a new sewage disposal facility. South Jersey might have had more rain / flooding, because of the inadequate infrastructure.

I have those issues and I didn't even have surgery!

I also had those issues before the surgery, I was kind of hoping some of this would go away...

don't know whether it's cultural or what, but the most non-compliant people in the cities are young Hispanic men.

Cultural or peer pressure factor in here. There is also the suspicion that it's a plot by the authorities to mess with them...Minorities do have a higher percentage of infection, but also a higher percentage of non compliance with recommended practices.

oday is VJ Day here in North America.

I can remember when VE and VJ Days were a big commemoration. Now, they are largely forgotten.

I can remember when VE and VJ Days were a big commemoration. Now, they are largely forgotten.
Interesting that you bring up VE Day. That has additional significance to me as that's my late FIL's name, Vernon Earl Day. Somewhere in our "remembrances" box, there is an article that he saved from a Dallas newspaper from that time where he was interviewed. A reporter looked through the phone book (remember those), and found his name and came out to ask him questions about the occasion. He was quite proud of the recognizance. Not everyone has a day named after them!;)

Good morning from the front porch in my portion of Wisconsin. Very nice out but the humidity we are told will climb this afternoon. I have projects, yesterday my heat gun showed up and lastweek my new LED light bars showed up. Now they have to be used or installed. I have a few dumpsters for the scrap yard that I will use the heat gun on instead of burning the fingertips with the BIC lighter I was using. The LED bars are to light up areas that need it. When I ran the $78 cost for 24’ of light and cost of bulb, fixtures and wiring of the Cree lights bulbs I was using the ease of install for the bars caused this purchase. Love the bear photos but the pictures of the autos unloading remind of great times as a kid. Dad was the GM of a Buick dealership right out of downtown Chicago. New cars coming in was always exciting and did bring crowds to watch on the sidewalks. Enjoy the day.

Tomo

Afternoon All,

Today after much searching, testing and frustration I figured out the intermittent power issue was most likely a bad solder joint where the buss extension for the RH area comes off the main buss. I cut it out and soldered some new wire in it's place and was successful in fixing the issue. I tested the 3 RH tracks on and off the bridge with a Genesis FP7 and my largest steamer (2-8-8-2) without issue. I did each track 3 times so it wasn't a one time fluke. Tomorrow I've been drafted to go to Wally World then I'll start the RH construction.

Sherrel- Now that's funny.

Karl- Great picture.

Willie- You're scene is starting to come together. Interesting Lego layout.

Joe-That reminds me of a port visit in Pattaya Beach, Thailand in 1992. We were anchored out in crystal clear water. I was on the water taxi going ashore and we were talking about swimming and scuba diving when the boat operator said the town pumps their raw sewage into the bay. Nope, no water sports for me!

As you can see when it was molded there was incomplete filling, but it's far enough back that it won't be seen. I also painted the footprint under the floor in MM aged concrete.

20200813_092715.jpg

20200813_113629.jpg

20200814_121323.jpg

20200814_122042.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back