Running Bear's August 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
1597474443414.png

Good Saturday Morning Everyone. Mostly clear and a bit cooler at 75° to start off the day. Only made it to 104° yesterday with a relative humidity of just 23%. Dry heat! ;) Winds are starting to shift today and it will cool off to the lower 90's by Monday.
Got rid of Sent granddaughter home yesterday, wife is extremely relieved. As usual, she was thrilled when she and I (and granddog) walked up the road and checked out the neighbor's sheep. She doesn't see much besides squirrels in her neighborhood. To her, the cows across the road seem enormous, but she noted that they seemed to move too slow. "Is grass all that they eat, Grandpa?" Then she saw a couple that were getting up from a reclining position. "They get up backwards" she said, referring to the fact that cows get up hind legs first!

Scrambled eggs, sausage patties and whole wheat toast for me this morning Francine.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's progress and museum pictures; Sherrel, Patrick, Karl, Guy, Phil, Garry, Chad, Tom O, Jerome, Louis, Curt.

Productive day yesterday in the train shed. Added a bit of yellow safety paint to one of the piggyback ramps and knocked off one of the ramps in the process.:( First project today!
08-15-20 004.JPG

Painted all of the spur tracks and added some ground cover along part of the main line.
08-15-20 002.JPG

Those light patches are cardboard transition shims which will eventually be covered with ballast
08-15-20 001.JPG

I also started installing the fencing along the south side.
08-15-20 003.JPG

Broke my only .100" drill bit in the process. Since it was in a place where the 1"x4" support board was underneath, I could not drive it out and had to shorten the fence post instead. I'll continue the process with a 7/64" bit which is only slightly larger (.1094").
I'll start today ballasting the straight portion of the spur tracks, leaving the switches bare for a few more weeks of testing and potential troubleshooting. I still need to attach two more ground throws first.

Joe -
Cultural or peer pressure factor in here. There is also the suspicion that it's a plot by the authorities to mess with them...Minorities do have a higher percentage of infection, but also a higher percentage of non compliance with recommended practices.
I think "machismo" has something to do with it as well.
Curt - That incomplete mold filling would bother me. Walther's should have no issues with replacing it. Otherwise I would be filling it in with a filler (putty, silicone), even if it isn't visible.
Louis - Time on your hands yesterday/last night???

I'll get back to some more museum pictures tomorrow or Monday for your viewing pleasure.

Everybody have a great day. Be safe and practice your social distancing.

Good Morning, Everyone. We've got a cool 53F, overcast day going on here; only a 5% chance of rain is suggested by those in the business.

I'm going to skid over to an old clients place today, and repair some electrical issues he's having on his property. He always calls me when he needs something done, and I get rewarded for my efforts very well. Last month, when I did some work for him, he gave me his big snow-blower. He gave me an $800.00 machine for doing 20 cents worth of work, fixing his boat trailer wiring. I'll do his sidewalk and driveway with that machine, come winter. I've been doing it with a shovel anyway, for the last two years; he's 81yrs and has a tough time with keeping up.

Wow, Willie! That Lego has come a long way since the square bricks I used to play with as a kid. - As far as taking photo's go, Willie, I'm nothing special. I only have a little Canon PowerShot point and shoot, so it does most of the figuring. All I have to do is point it and push the button. As a matter of fact, I was going to recommend that Louis get one. The button can be pushed all day long on these cameras.

I don't have much for modeler directed photos today. Just a girder and wood beam trestle photo that I took the other day. Someone might like the construction of the trestle for modeling purposes:
Trestle_Aug,2020.jpg

Trestles like that one are all over the place in this area. I'm sure that holds true for where ever one goes.

Gotta hit the road, have a good one!

Good morning from a finally it’s raining in my neighborhood day. Needed the rain to green up all the brown lawns and it is a nice solid not crazy rainfall. Should end in an hour and heading then into the humid 80’s. Today, I will take it.

Dental hygienist must be taught that at school. I had 2 over 30 years in Central Wisconsin that practiced that rubbing technique. Here in So. Central Wi. I wish she would but here they use the sonic water pic like device. It’s tough getting older!

That trestle is awesome, great shot.

Louis’s pictures are usually outstanding or very interesting.

Still need to get in the train room, need more pictures at least!

Enjoy the day

TomO

Good morning everybody ....

Louis ... I recognize the photo. Jim Pearson is a photographer who lives in western Kentucky as I do, and I follow his FB posts. The train is on the CSX line in KY between Evansville, IN and Nashville, TN.

Curt ..... Goos to see your progress with the turntable.

Willie ... It's good to see your continued layout progress, too. The MS RR museum looks like a good idea for a visit.

Guy ... I like the photo of the trestle. Actually, I do have a wood trestle with steel beams under a section of it on my layout.

Everybody .... Have a good day.

To her, the cows across the road seem enormous, but she noted that they seemed to move too slow. "Is grass all that they eat, Grandpa?" Then she saw a couple that were getting up from a reclining position. "They get up backwards" she said, referring to the fact that cows get up hind legs first!
Speaking of which, do you know what you call a cow with no legs?

Ground beef.

It is 81 at 9AM - should be 103 today. Yesterday reached 104 at 2 PM with 19% humidity. Lake Elsinore about 20 miles or so north showed 112, maybe a misprint?
We are expected to be triple digits all next week - hope the rolling electrical blackouts do not affect us - shouldn't as I have solar to add!

WILLIE - and others .... here is a scene to add to a layout.
Chain Gang HO size.jpg

Afternoon All,

After a trip to Wally World this morning I worked on the RH project. I was planning on putting in welding lights and 2 overhead lights but I discovered I must have screwed up the welding lights removing it from the old layout so I have a new set on order. I installed window frames and windows in the walls then attempted to glue the 2 sides of each wall together. First I tried MM plastic cement (my go to for plastic kits), but it didn't hold very well for some reason. I then used CA. It worked better but the edges weren't sticking together like they should so I finally used blue painters tape to tightly hold the walls together. I'm leaving that in place until tomorrow. Hopefully that will work.

Thank you for the likes on my progress.

Louis- Great pictures.

Willie- Nice progress on your project. I plan on mounting the welding lights in that hole.

Guy- Nice bridge.

Garry- Thank you.

Sherrel- Nice scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Morning, Everyone.
3:15am as I sit in here, all alone. Just couldn't sleep at all; tossing-n-turning and it was away too warm in the stable. Here it is 52F right now, and we are headed up to 82F come the afternoon. It's not supposed to rain for at least 3 days; just be hot n sunny. - Think I'll make my own coffee since there won't be anyone around for awhile.

Sherrel - The chain gang is a neat scene. I don't believe we have those up here; never seen one anyway. The boys doing time up here do help out fighting forest fires, but, I've never seen them out on the road.
Willie - I like the fence; good work on the layout yesterday. My experience with layouts is nil so far, but, I've been wondering if you vacuum a layout during cleaning, do you suck up the foam ground cover, or is it fairly stable. I bet one has to be careful.

Thanks for the likes on my trestle photo; I didn't think it was that good a shot.

The only rail related photo I have today, is a pic of an electro-magnet that was used for picking up rail spikes in quantity, when the boys were doing track work this past spring. Might be something for interest on the layout detail work:
Electro-magnet_08-12-2020.jpg

And I'm going to drop in a couple more wildlife photos, both taken one year ago during the past blue-berry picking season:
GrizzlySept2019 (1).jpg

Muley2019 (5).jpg

Since it's so early and lonely in here, I might drop by again later in the day. I'm going to need something to do as this Sunday progresses, and I'm not very consistent with going to church.

Have a good one!

Good Morning All. Clear and a warm 80° here on the SFW estate in North Central Texas. Temperature only hit 100° yesterday, humidity was up from Friday to a whooping 28%. Major change coming tonight as there is a 70% chance of thunderstorms and the high tomorrow is forecast to be only 91° after a low tonight of just 71°. It's only for one day though, back into the mid-90's Tuesday.
I didn't mention that while my granddaughter was here, but she brought her own phone! Five years old and she has her own phone!!! She's actually quite adept at using it. She did several video enhanced calls (I guess that's what they are called) to her dad. Mom was off limits at least when I was awake. Goodness, my other daughter made my grandsons wait until they were ten years old before they got their first phones. I guess that I cannot complain though, I actually had my first phone at 4 years old. Except it was attached to the wall and I shared it with two parents and five brothers and sisters eventually! We also shared the line with some neighbors somewhere for a while.

Good Morning Flo. Reckon that Mel can rustle up some Eggs Benedict for me this morning? Tell him to use Taylor Ham instead of Canadian Bacon.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday regarding my progress; Guy, Jerome, Tom O, Garry, Phil, Joe, Sherrel, Louis, Karl, Curt, Jerry, Tom.

Made some more progress out in the train shed yesterday. I mainly added more ground cover to the near side of the main line and ballasted all but the switches in the piggyback yard.
08-16-20 001.JPG

I also added the remaining fence posts to the fence, that's it laid out between the yard and the main in the picture above. Today I hope to get the remainder installed, and manicure and touch up the ground cover and parking pad.
I have mentioned a couple of times about the two industries to the south (trackwise) in this scene. They have been there for five or six years, but I never completed the parking area in front of one of them, nor have I added final details to the area. I'll be doing this while completing the ramps just because I had finally cleared "magazine mountain" out of the way.
Ginette Organic Foods warehouse is a now discontinued Walther's kit, Valley Citrus Packers. I renamed it since citrus doesn't grow in my locale.
08-16-20 002.JPG

08-16-20 005.JPG

08-16-20 008.JPG

Next to it is Stephen's Grocery Distributor, also a Walther's kit known as Grocery Distributor, duh!
08-16-20 003.JPG

08-16-20 004.JPG

Both industries are in active switching use despite the incomplete parking area at Ginette's.
They are on the lower level, the first thing you see when you enter the train shed. They are immediately underneath the small rural town scene that I posted here about two years ago.
Here's a couple of shots to remind you.
08-16-20 010.JPG

08-16-20 011.JPG

Excuse the background clutter. I still need to add additional shelving underneath the layout for storage.

Guy - Thanks, I also use a Canon PowerShot camera; I guess that I just have to learn how to use if better.
Yes it is amazing what Lego has come up with. Although they still hurt when you step on them barefooted in the dark. While that is a model railroad museum, they have a significant display of Lego creations along the walls in some of the layout rooms. I'll make another post with some examples so I don't use all of my photo space in this post.
Regarding the ground cover: I do not have any issues with sucking it up with the vacuum. While there are many ways to fasten it down, my method seems to be foolproof. That's not to say that others aren't foolproof as well. I'll try to remember to take some step by step shots this week when I resume, for everyone's benefit.
Sherrel - I have thought about adding a chain gang scene like that, and I may eventually do so. Woodland Scenics has a ready made figure set that was used in that scene.

Everybody have a great Sunday. I'll be back in about an hour or so with the Lego pictures from the museum for Guy.

Last edited:
Good morning gang!
Happy Sunday to one and all.
Nothing train wise to report, I spent yesterday working on the yard and the S10. ABS light and HVAC system woes. Found a bad ABS module and some rotted vacuum hoses, so I'm ordering parts today. Once the get fixed it gets some paint work and the kid gets it to drive.
SWMBO wanted to go fishing today, but it's raining, so that's out. Might have to slip downstairs later!😁😁😁😁
Later gang!

Good morning....I'll start with a coffee Flo.thanks.
Nothing much to report,other than Scale trains is making an announcement on the 27th I believe. None of the others are doing much, can't make money if your not producing. I've had an engine on order from Intermountain for a year now so I think I forget about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back