Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was the last day to work on the On30 layout before we dismantle it Saturday to take upstairs to the display floor for the Holiday show beginning in two weeks. I spent most of my time gluing down barrels, boxes, drums and other scenery details.
As I was doing my thing, one of our scenery gurus was busy adding trees and brush around the barrel factory.
Here are before and after pictures of the area. Amazing what a little greenery will do to indicate a rural swampy area.

Attachments

• 10.7.21 plaster 1.jpg
    10.7.21 plaster 1.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 11.04.21 1.jpg
    11.04.21 1.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thank you everybody who "liked" my Thursday post even though it had no photos in it.

Only have time for a "drive-by" post. I've been spending time trying to learn how to use this LokProgrammer. Installing it was easy-peezy, but trying to find a way to do something simple like changing the type of horn on one of my locos, has led me down numerous rabbit holes with no definitive answer. The downloadable PDF instruction manual on ESU's website dates back to 2009 and only covers up to software version 2.6.2; I have version 5.1.6. I posted a question on the ESU Support forum about where I could find the current version of the manual, and they replied that what I got is the current version and that the software hasn't really changed all that much. Guess I just have to keep re-reading the manual and ignoring the images of 2009-vintage screen shots...

Time to run, got a serious amount of reading to do!

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Howdy.

it is good to see each of you here .

To update on my situation. The recovery from my hospital stay for heart problems will take a long time. I continue to be on oxygen. The good news is I went downstairs to the train room briefly. It was very difficult to go back upstairs .

thanks to each of you for words of encouragement. Have a good evening .

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thank you everybody who "liked" my Thursday post even though it had no photos in it.

Only have time for a "drive-by" post. I've been spending time trying to learn how to use this LokProgrammer. Installing it was easy-peezy, but trying to find a way to do something simple like changing the type of horn on one of my locos, has led me down numerous rabbit holes with no definitive answer. The downloadable PDF instruction manual on ESU's website dates back to 2009 and only covers up to software version 2.6.2; I have version 5.1.6. I posted a question on the ESU Support forum about where I could find the current version of the manual, and they replied that what I got is the current version and that the software hasn't really changed all that much. Guess I just have to keep re-reading the manual and ignoring the images of 2009-vintage screen shots...

Time to run, got a serious amount of reading to do!

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!
1st Generation Horn Pack 2
Horns (SoundCV9):
CV163=0 Leslie S-3E
CV163=1 Leslie S-3K-R
CV163=2 Leslie S-3L-R
CV163=3 Leslie S-5T-F
CV163=4 Leslie S-5T-R
CV163=5 Leslie S-5T-RRO
CV163=6 Leslie SL-4T
CV163=7 Nathan K-5LA
CV163=8 Nathan M-3-HR2 (Temp Nathan M-3-H)
CV163=9 Nathan M-3-R1
CV163=10 Nathan M3RT1
CV163=11 Nathan M-5-R24 (Temp Nathan M-5)
CV163=12 Wabco A2

1st Generation Horn Pack 2
Horns (SoundCV9):
CV163=0 Leslie S-3E
CV163=1 Leslie S-3K-R
CV163=2 Leslie S-3L-R
CV163=3 Leslie S-5T-F
CV163=4 Leslie S-5T-R
CV163=5 Leslie S-5T-RRO
CV163=6 Leslie SL-4T
CV163=7 Nathan K-5LA
CV163=8 Nathan M-3-HR2 (Temp Nathan M-3-H)
CV163=9 Nathan M-3-R1
CV163=10 Nathan M3RT1
CV163=11 Nathan M-5-R24 (Temp Nathan M-5)
CV163=12 Wabco A2
Thanks Terry, I'll check that out first thing tomorrow morning!👍👍

After spending many hours looking to buy health insurance one of the things I learned of was skinny plans.

A skinny plan covers nothing until a large deductible is reached. I won't mention when they were added to the ACA.

I learned a lot more, but it is far to political to discuss here.

Good morning all! 26 degrees with freezing fog here, heading up to sunny and 57 for the day. Glad it's going to warm up a little. I always leave the store for lunch and eat in my truck at a nearby park. 57 should be a nice not too cold and not too hot temp for that.

The two Kalmbach books I ordered arrived yesterday. I started reading the Guide to Signals and Interlockings last night and finding it pretty good so far. Got too sleepy to get very far in it, but I'm looking forward to continuing it later. Looking forward to reading the other book, Applying Lessons from the Prototype as well.

Garry: Glad to hear you got a little train time in. Hope you continue to feel better and stronger.
Terry: So sorry to hear what happened to your wife. Hoping she feels better very soon.

Hope you all have a great day!

Greetings fellow railroaders. It's been a while since I have been able to stop by the coffee shop. Life has been super crazy this year, but all is well.

Is Flo still around? I could go for some coffee and a little something to eat. There's no bacon shortage here, right?

Haven't been able to touch the layout since last winter, but did finally pull the trigger on a Merchant's Row 3 kit. Playing around with it now. So much to update, where to begin?

For those who remember, I ended up shutting my business down. Last year's bout with Covid put me in a financial hole I never climbed out of. Tried to add some services this year, but with the incentives being handed out to stay at home and suckle the government teet, I couldn't find the help I needed to stay on top of things. I'm kind of glad actually, because the headaches, backaches, and heartaches of being self employed (and singularly so) it wasn't much fun anymore. Now I have a steady paycheck, insurance, and a retirement plan again.

We are in the process of making a move, finally. Bought a used doublewide that's nearly double the size of our current one and will be moving it onto the 13 acres behind my mother-in-law. We cleared out 1.5 acres of virgin woods to set up the new homestead. It's quiet, peaceful, and there will be plenty of space for an actual train shed in which to build a functional layout in...after I finish the remodeling projects the new home requires.

Hope all is well with everyone. I'd like to say that I'm going to try to catch up, but I don't want to lie to y'all. I've just missed too much. But hopefully I can stick around for a while.

Quebec - In my opinion one of the neatest cities to visit. It has been many years since I was there and I'm sure it has changed but the old part of town was simple beautiful, much like a huge French Quarter. The Changing of the Guard at the Citadel, the Garden, crepe Suzettes and the Hotel Frontinac.
I love the Old Quebec too. Spent a lot of time here. It's "Chateau Frontenac", please.

CHATEAU FRONTENAC.jpg

4545.jpg

787478.jpg

Good Morning All. Clear and 41°, or maybe 40°...my thermometer has fluctuated back and forth all morning. Upper 60's again today and then mid-70's for four days.
Latest update on my wife. The last two blood tests on Monday and Wednesday indicated that her kidneys were no longer tolerating the antibiotic infusions, so the doctor stopped them and instead prescribed a different one taken orally. Staci, the home health care nurse, came by last night and removed the PICC tube. Just a week more on the antibiotics anyway, we hope. Of course I now have a ten day supply of the antibiotic infusions that cannot be used or returned. $209 copay is now wasted. The infusion company advised us to check with the nearest veterinarian and donate them to them if they wanted them. Apparently these antibiotics are widely used on animals as well. Don't know what I will do with the several dozen syringes of saline flushing solution. Meanwhile the TV has been non-stop Christmas movies on the Hallmark Channel!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the many likes and comments regarding the current rail car project; Chad, Christian, Joe, Greg, OB Ken, Curt, Karl, Hughie, Jaz, Tom, Tom O, IB Ken.

I'll take Mel's "garbage omelet" this morning Flo. Extra bacon and a tall OJ to go with it.

Spent some time out in the train shed yesterday working on the P2K covered hopper. It was a less than ideal day, as I broke one part and lost another. Both are easily resolved thankfully. First I successfully added the brake lever into the "B" end of the car.
IMG_8117.JPG

IMG_8120.JPG

It had to be maneuvered in that slot next to the coupler pocket, with the lower end in the clevis of the brake gear, while the upper arm had to be inserted into the slope sill and the interconnecting chain in the middle needed to go into the air cylinder. Whew!
Then I attached the end cages, three parts each, on to the car. Not really hard, but they had to be held in place while the glue set.
IMG_8123.JPG

Forgot to take a picture of the "B" end.
Next was the coupler and truck installation. No biggie here except note the couplers that came with the kit.
IMG_8131.JPG

On the right are the horn-hook couplers which shows how old this kit actually is. On the left are knuckle couplers, but they are McHenry types with the plastic spring. Both sets were set aside and I used Kadee #148's.
Adding the hatches to the top was no big deal.
IMG_8125.JPG

Then came the latches and clamps.
IMG_8126.JPG

IMG_8127.JPG

Then I broke the mounting peg on one of the clamps.
IMG_8128.JPG

OK, so I now had to just super glue it in position.
Roofwalk was next. Another success.
IMG_8129.JPG

You can see it in it's completed position in photo # 4. Then I added the two roof grab irons. While I was installing the second one, the first one disappeared! No clue whether it is lost on the workbench or the floor, I looked in both places without any luck. I actually know better than to do the second one before the glue sets on the first. Fortunately I have a couple of packs of Details Associates grabs that are an exact match, albeit with much longer mounts. I'll deal with this today and I'll replace both for symmetry. I have had to do this on previous cars when I broke some. So close to finishing!:(:)

Curt - I am not necessarily a better modeler, I just have a lot of patience for these detailed kits.
Hughie - Some Bar Mills kits that I have assembled had plastic windows from Tichy or Grandt Line, but I do like the looks of the laser-cut ones better.
Terry - That's tragic. Best wishes for your wife; she's been on my prayer list for years.
Garry - Good to see your post. Continued prayers and positive thoughts.
Jesse - Great to see you posting again. I was wondering how you fared after the Covid bout. Looks like you have a solid plan going forward with the new (to you) home and the homestead. Take it from me, train sheds are a real blessing.

Today is day 310 this year, that means only 49 days until Christmas.
Everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend. Stay warm and safe.

Afternoon all,

Interesting 24 hours. Had to replace a vvt actuator on the wife's Equinox. Took down the rain barrels, and did some yard work. Hopefully get some train time as there is a small trainshow about 10 miles away.

Laundry becons as does the stove. Funny how you clean it, rarely use it and it smokes as stuff is dripped into it. Oh well. Bbl

Good afternoon gang

My big puter puked its power supply fan this morning, so now I'm on the railroads puter , yes the one I do programming and stuff on. I'ts and older Dell Dimension, but it gets along, just a little slow for internet streaming or gaming. Never was, never will be but it suits this purpose.

wm1851.JPG

It does hold some interesting pictures in it.

WMautoracks.JPG

A skinny plan covers nothing until a large deductible is reached. I won't mention when they were added to the ACA.

I learned a lot more, but it is far to political to discuss here.
Terry: Interesting, but aren't these plans also supposed to be linked to employer sponsored Health Savings plans that allow the set aside of pretax earnings which theoretically, at least will cover the out of pocket? Of course, that should be disclosed up front, and not after a claim is filed.

I suppose, these plans, a well as catastrophic plans are offered on the open market, aimed at younger...healthier people, but these plans should also have policy provisions disclosed prior to purchase. To offer them as employer plans is not good faith compliance.

None of this helps you though, you need something that is 1. Affordable and 2. pays at least 80% of the bill, without ridiculous out of pocket expenses. There may or may not be something resembling that within the realm of ACA, and open market plans tend to exclude existing conditions.

You have a legitimate beef with your employer, for failure to disclose major changes in your coverage. There should be a State regulatory department that covers these matters.

It's a shame that health insurance is so politicized, that meaningful discussion is impossible.

Speaking of healthcare, Yesterday around 10AM I had my Moderna booster shot. The only reaction to dose 1 was I could not lift my left arm for 24 hours. There was no significant reaction to dose 2. By 10 PM, I was extremely tired, and sore. By 2 AM this morning, every joint and vertebrae that has been affected by osteoarthritis was inflamed. Finally, by 5AM I mustered enough to get out of bed, and take a couple of Tylenol. I also located my neck pillow, and was able to sleep until about 9:30 this morning. I'm still not right but functional, but my anti-inflamatory appears to be totally ineffective. :(:rolleyes:o_O

Garry: I'm so sorry to hear of your condition. Looks like you will need some time to get back to where you were. You are on my Prayer List, of course.

Willie: I wish I had your patience. Couple weeks ago, while building some other kits, I found x2f couplers in the pack for a Walthers kit.

7-20-1979 GP30s dross Delmor Ave Morrisville  John C Durant Photo.jpg

July 20, 1979 at Morrisville, PA, on the "Old Line".

Afternoon All,

The HOA meeting this morning was a waste because not enough people showed up for a quorum. In the train room I cleaned the ballasted track then ran my Y6b over them. On the last track tested there was a issue with the front tender truck derailing just before entering a curve (It worked pre-ballast) so I checked track and wheel gauge which was OK. I figure it has to be a level issue so out comes the multi axis level and sure enough there's a dip now in the track. I shimmed the track, tested it in the forward and reverse directions a bunch of times then re-ballasted it. More testing and cleaning tomorrow.

Terry- I'm very sorry to hear about your and your wife's continuing medical and job issues.

Karl- Nice photos.

Joe- Nice photo. That would be a great scene to model.

Hughie- Great looking structure. Are you going to light it?

Troy- Pizza looks good.

Chad- It looks like you're making great progress.

Mikey- Nice scene.

Garry- It's great hearing from you. Take care of yourself. That's what is important.

Jesse- Good to see you posting again. Glad you are doing better.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back