Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon.
My wife can barely move around in the house today, after her unscheduled "dump" yesterday.
I've been told the new company taking over can be a good thing, since they will be subject to more oversight than the little mom & pop place. One of the things that may be good is a better health plan. Possibly offsetting this is exactly who the people are that own the company. Most of y'all have heard of Auto Nation. These people were instrumental in starting and growing that company to what we see today. According to them, they got bored with that business, and have branched out to RVs.

Something interesting that occurred to me when working on the Equinox, I bought a new 1985 Chevrolet Cavalier. It had a plastic cover that went over the air cleaner. It was recalled to remove the plastic cover as the cover could become detached and cause a fire if it contacted the exhaust manifold. I had to remove at least 10 pounds of plastic off the top of the engine to gain access to the part I had to replace. Funny how nearly 40 years changes things.

Good Afternoon all! Not a lot going on here. I kinda feel blah. Went in and spent a little time on Jefferies Point but just couldn't get into it. So I quit before I messed something up. I did get the loading docks built.
1636231573585.jpeg

Jesse - Nice to see your back
Curt - Not sure if I'm going to light it. I'm considering putting Woodland Scenics goose neck lamps under the awning.
Willie - The acetate is pre-cut, but the small windows are 3/16" x 1/8"
Terry - Maybe the new guys will surprise you with a reasonable benefits package.
Christian - love the Quebec photos.
Garry - Great to hear you made it to the train room.
Mikey - Nice photos. Oh by the way I also use a large magnifying glass, especially for the detail work.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Terry: Interesting, but aren't these plans also supposed to be linked to employer sponsored Health Savings plans that allow the set aside of pretax earnings which theoretically, at least will cover the out of pocket? Of course, that should be disclosed up front, and not after a claim is filed.

I suppose, these plans, a well as catastrophic plans are offered on the open market, aimed at younger...healthier people, but these plans should also have policy provisions disclosed prior to purchase. To offer them as employer plans is not good faith compliance.

None of this helps you though, you need something that is 1. Affordable and 2. pays at least 80% of the bill, without ridiculous out of pocket expenses. There may or may not be something resembling that within the realm of ACA, and open market plans tend to exclude existing conditions.

You have a legitimate beef with your employer, for failure to disclose major changes in your coverage. There should be a State regulatory department that covers these matters.

It's a shame that health insurance is so politicized, that meaningful discussion is impossible.

Speaking of healthcare, Yesterday around 10AM I had my Moderna booster shot. The only reaction to dose 1 was I could not lift my left arm for 24 hours. There was no significant reaction to dose 2. By 10 PM, I was extremely tired, and sore. By 2 AM this morning, every joint and vertebrae that has been affected by osteoarthritis was inflamed. Finally, by 5AM I mustered enough to get out of bed, and take a couple of Tylenol. I also located my neck pillow, and was able to sleep until about 9:30 this morning. I'm still not right but functional, but my anti-inflamatory appears to be totally ineffective. :(:rolleyes:o_O

Garry: I'm so sorry to hear of your condition. Looks like you will need some time to get back to where you were. You are on my Prayer List, of course.

Willie: I wish I had your patience. Couple weeks ago, while building some other kits, I found x2f couplers in the pack for a Walthers kit.

View attachment 135007
July 20, 1979 at Morrisville, PA, on the "Old Line".
One of the docs I follow explained all of those inflammatory aches and pains: Your body fights viruses with inflammation... A fever, your body is fighting something off... add in muscle aches... still fighting... etc

Wife's 80+ year old mother appears to have had a breakthrough case of covid this summer after her vaccines... lung xrays for a current issue came back with something weird that they're seeing in long-covid patients. Some sort of mosaic crackling or some such.

But, she was only tired, run down, and didn't have the lung side of the disease (coughing, sore throat). And she's been showing signs of fatigue and fuzzy thinking. Been going on for about two months now.

She's been going in for another issue (where an artery is kinked and causing some nerve issues on her right side. The daughters (one med lab, the other a nurse) pulled her out of the local-very rural neurologist, and took her up the road to the big city of Ft. Wayne. Head of neurology at the preferred hospital got her straightened out with potential diagnosis. One more round of tests, and then it's time for treatment plans.

In other news, you all will have to fend for yourself this coming week. I'll be out in vegas with 1,500 of my closest author friends. I might post occasionally.

Good afternoon.
My wife can barely move around in the house today, after her unscheduled "dump" yesterday.
I've been told the new company taking over can be a good thing, since they will be subject to more oversight than the little mom & pop place. One of the things that may be good is a better health plan. Possibly offsetting this is exactly who the people are that own the company. Most of y'all have heard of Auto Nation. These people were instrumental in starting and growing that company to what we see today. According to them, they got bored with that business, and have branched out to RVs.
Terry, I'm very sorry to hear about your wife's accident. I hope she is feeling better.

Auto Nation is a huge corporation. I suspect they will have much higher minimum standards for benefits. Corporations are motivated by one thing, profit, that is not a bad thing. They saw value and potential growth in your location. You are part of that and you can prosper with them.

I wish you bith

Welp... woke up early... Leavin' on a jet plane...
Oh? Delayed?
too late to make my planned connection?
Choices... start the standby hop down in Dallas... get in around 7p to vegas... maybe
Or fly to Dallas, then to LAX, then back to Vegas get in at 11:30pm
Standby shuffle, here I come.

Is Willie or Hughie gonna come down (up?/over?) to DFW and talk trains with me while I wait?
Better idea, so they don't have to deal with traffic, and I don't have to go through the security line again... I'll just on this forum while I wait.

Got time for a pot of coffee at home now...

Yesterday was the last day to work on the On30 layout before we dismantle it Saturday to take upstairs to the display floor for the Holiday show beginning in two weeks. I spent most of my time gluing down barrels, boxes, drums and other scenery details.
As I was doing my thing, one of our scenery gurus was busy adding trees and brush around the barrel factory.
Here are before and after pictures of the area. Amazing what a little greenery will do to indicate a rural swampy area.
Super detailing, love it when people do the inside detailing

Good morning y'all.

Flo- how about a steak and eggs breakfast platter with hash browns, toast, and 2 sides of bacon please. Also, coffee.

45 this morning but feels like 39. Gonna try to put in some time on the merchants row kit today. Picked up some sheet plastic and a pack of small strips so I can try to add floors to the ground level and the upper level. I might be working in N scale, but I plan to add as much detail as I can. Hoping to add some LEDs to the interior as well. I want to be able to light each shop individually as well as each upper level as well. That's my plan anyway. We'll see how much can be achieved as time passes.

Y'all have a good day and I will check back in later. Anybody know what Mel is cooking for dinner tonight?

Greetings all,

Interesting day yesterday. I found out Friday from my golf buddy who also is a model RRer that there is a train show this weekend! At the Canterbury Park SW of Minneapolis. So seeing as how I had to get up early and by myself anyway, as my daughter had requested a ride to the airport (she is flying to Wash DC for the week), I had a nice breaky and then went to the show.

Bought an Atlas Masterline Silver loco: an Alco S-2 in MILW orange and white. $60. It looked new with good packaging and docs, but when asked, vendor said it had come in as part of a "collection." A euphemism, no doubt. Took it to the HO group who had a rather nice display tracks going and they were kind enough to trial it for me. Box said DCC with ESU Loksound (?), but would not run on DCC. Ran fine on DC, but I need DCC, right? Took it back to vendor who offered me $10 back to keep it. At $50 I am hoping it is worth some TLC to get it up and running. I've been wanting a MILW loco, so some attachment there.

But this is the weekend I have to get leaves up and onto the rose bushes to mulch them for the hard winter that's coming. So did not get much time to work on it. But I did open the shell - - sure enough, no decoder. Checked the Digitrax website for their recommended decoder recommendation. I actually had that one on hand I had bought for a Bachmann replacement which I have never accomplished. Am I the only one who buys hobby stuff for projects that don't get done - - - for a while?

Might get some time to further the project today, but those leaves must get on the roses after church.

Socially: Golf was fun - - the golf buddies pizza night turned out very well. The couples stayed much later than I had thought they would, usually a good sign. I showed my layout to date. Good night, but late for a guy with a 0700 reveille time!

Last night youngest dau new BF came to dinner to meet us for first time. Nice guy, I liked him. Wife made CHicken Vesuvio and I made a Caesar salad. ANother nice evening. But for a pair of introverts, we are tapped out on this whole people thing. Wife would really love to skip church, but she loves All Saints Day. Brunch with the church group at the VFW and then home. I will make her relax whilst I gather in the leaves.

Hopefully today or Monday I'll post some pics of the Loco and poll for advice.

Steve J

Good Morning!
I haven't been in for a couple of days, which put me 5 pages behind. - It's been very busy for me lately with family matters. Apologies, I don't have time to read back, as I have to travel to Ft. Assiniboine this morning. I'll be gone all day.

It's 22F this morning under cloud and with no snow on the ground, yet.
I'll try to come in for a coffee in a couple of days.

Until then, here's a photo of some more of those Lego blocks, with a loaded flat car hiding behind them. I can't explain why some lumber loads would be shipped unwrapped. Perhaps it's the lower grade lumber:
CntrBmFlt_GTW 623682_10-28-2021 (1).jpg

Have a great day, and I'll see you in a few days. Hopefully, there are tracks to photograph somewhere along the line to Ft Assiniboine.

Good Morning All. Clear and 45° on this fine morning.
I'll begin my day today changing 10 of 11 clocks this morning, only one changes itself. At least all of the electronic stuff like computers and phones change themselves. Ironically the only one that I don't have to change is a cheapo radio/CD player under the overhead kitchen cabinet. Even the iPod out in the train shed knows when to change. I don't care which time we use, I just dislike changing all of the damn clocks!

I hadn't seen my 80 year old neighbor in about a month, except occasionally driving by. So I walked up the road (about 3/10 mile uphill) to visit him yesterday. It turns out that he broke his hip in a fall while bringing groceries up his steps earlier in October. It turned out that a hip replacement would work out better for him than a body cast, since he lives alone up there. He's able to get around OK, albeit slowly, and his son comes by every two days to take care of the goats. His son is going to build a home up there; the slab was poured last spring, but he hasn't bought any lumber yet to proceed. Jimmy and I had a good chuckle as we watched another neighbor and his wife tend to their cattle herd. Against advice offered by both of us, they and his dad purchased 9 cows and a bull. All but one of the cows is a "breeder", essentially too old to slaughter for meat. The advice that we both offered was to point out that in our area, four acres of pasture plus hay is needed for every cow. They have 17 acres that they can use counting his dad's adjoining property. I have offered to lease them part of my land that isn't ideal for me to grow hay on, if they put up a fence. But that is only an additional five acres.

Thanks for the likes regarding yesterday's progress report on the freight car build; Christian, Rick, OB Ken, Karl, Hughie, Patrick, Joe, Troy, Tom O, James, Tom.

Sunday Special this morning Flo. Extra bacon with those poached eggs and grits.

Mostly finished up the P2K covered hopper kit yesterday. I installed the Details Associates grab irons on the roofwalk.
IMG_8133.JPG

IMG_8134.JPG

Here's that B end shot that I didn't have earlier.
IMG_8136.JPG

I do still have to paint those grab irons and change the car number as I already have one with this number.
IMG_8137.JPG

There are about 70 parts to this kit all together. Picking another number will be easy, as ATSF had 1500 of these cars in this order. After changing the number, it will get a coating of dull coat and then some weathering. This represents the original paint scheme from 1966, so it will be heavier weathering.

Mikey - The scenery guy at the club certainly has a good eye for scenery. He did a nice job on both the barrel factory and boat landing.
Curt - No problem with HOA quorums here, as I am the only member! ;) The neighbors don't even know that it exists.
Terry - Auto Nation is probably a very good thing as far as your benefits are concerned. Mine improved every time our ownership changed as bigger companies became the owners.
Patrick - I have been amazed at the amount of plastic in engine compartments on newer cars. I grew up with cars where the only plastic was the distributor cap, which I can't even find on our Accura RDX.
Hughie - Despite being N scale, you're doing a great job on Jefferies. I could probably actually work on an N scale structure, I just don't want to.
Troy - Best wishes and positive thoughts for your MIL. Regarding the DFW airport, it's much closer to me than Hughie, but they won't let me in without a ticket to somewhere. Flight pattern from there to Vegas does not pass over my house. Have a safe journey.
Steve J -
Am I the only one who buys hobby stuff for projects that don't get done - - - for a while?
You're not alone. I bought lots of stuff while I was still working and building the train shed, and just stashed it. But that wasn't all, the freight car that I am currently working on was purchased sometime in the late 90's. I still have about two dozen freight cars and another two dozen structures on the shelf. That hasn't stopped me from purchasing additional structures since retiring in 2015 though.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Super detailing, love it when people do the inside detailing
Jaz- you are absolutely correct.
As we were setting up three layouts yesterday, a young McWane volunteer peeked through the curtain to make sure we were setting up the trains.
This is the 15th tear we have displayed trains for McWane and this young man remembers seeing our layout at age 4, the first year we were there. He missed last year due to Covid, so he was excited to know there will be 5 layouts this year to enjoy. We have several families who visit the displays several times during the Holiday show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back