Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blasphemy! How did this slip through the Académie française ? I am shocked they don't say the proper form of "ARRÊTER" (Actually I am pretty sure I have seen pics of stop signs that do say that)
In Québec they use this road sign:

STOP ARRET QUEBEC.JPG

Christian - What's the device between the rails in your first picture of the railroad speed signs?
We call it a "crocodile". The crocodile is a signaling device used by the French National Railroad Company to transmit a sound signal in the cabin when certain signals are passed. A brush fixed under the chassis of the locomotives rubs it. It sounds two different rings depending on whether the signal is open or closed. This device equips most signals.
The crocodile was invented in 1872 by engineers Lartigue and Forest from the North Railroad Company (France).

04.jpg

Crocodile_SNCF01.jpg

Crocodile_SNCF02.jpg

Good Morning Everyone...beautiful morning here in this part of Wisconsin. Still on my own with Riley as a partner. Last night she was sleeping on my lap and at approximately 12:15 AM there was a loud noise like something fell somewhere in the house. Riley went into a defensive mode and I never saw her act as mean and aggressive as she did last night. After she calmed down, she stayed on guard duty for at least 15 minutes. Amazing for a 11 month old puppy. I've read that mini and standard dachshunds will protect their owners with their lives and fight to the finish with any thing large or small. So far Riley has never shown any fear of larger dogs or stange people in general.

Great loss with the passing of Colin Powell.

Tom: I really like the pulpwood cars and your weathering job. It just prompts me to weather the pulpwood cars that I have on my layout, but seldom use. I still need to cut that pulpwood from actual branches.

Willie: Looks like you're building a real craftsman kit with all that small detail work! I know about small parts on sprues and not always knowing what is the part and what maybe the actual sprue. That will be a great looking model when you're completed.

McLeod: Wild looking wolf. I would show Cathy your trophy, but we have wolves around our cabin and Cathy would never be out at night again knowing that's how mean a wolf can look! We've seen wolves in the wild, but never one as mean looking as yours.

Time to go................

Greg

############################

Make a killing when it becomes beachfront.
Yo Ray, that's my line!
Joe - It is interesting how the "mail-in" ballots put the winner over the top in the NJ governor's race. I assume that it is because more members of his party vote early.
Willie: Theoretically, Murph's supporters tends to mail it in, while Jack's supporters believe in doing things the old fashioned way. Not for nothing, this year you had to ask for a mail in or an absentee ballot. If they would have sent me one, I would have used it...I see nothing wrong with that at all. Hudson County has been notorious for stuffing the ballot box for well over a century and a half, without mail in ballots.

There seem to be two issues concerning this election, one that the Associated Press declared the winner, the county clerks are responsible for reporting results in the county, and the Secretary of State declares the winner...Technically, the winner has not been declared, because they are still counting the vote. it's that close. Second issue is that the news media is very upset that the pollsters were wrong again...and that media pundits that predicted a Murphy landslide got a Murphy repudiation instead...(even if he is the winner in the final outcome).

Third very interesting result, in South Jersey involved the fall of the Most Powerful man in Trenton, John Sweeney, the current President of the Senate. He is the head of one of the building trade unions, kingmaker, and over all power broker. he lost to his Republican rival, a Teamster truck Driver, with a $2,000 election budget. Guess Mr Sweeney got the message? Amazing how all this is changing traditional voting patterns.

You posted about how the bloodwork is coded, also there is a time interval of 90 days between blood draws for Medicare patients that must be met if they (Medicare) are going to pay for it. After getting caught once with 89 days and I had to pay for the lab, I always make sure that my appointments are scheduled three months and one week apart.
That's the general policy, although one could argue medical Necessity...who in their right mind is going to get blood sucked out of them when they don't have to...Come to think about it, I have a couple of close ones from different doctors, for different purposes. so far no denials. Something else to worry about :rolleyes:.
(Actually I am pretty sure I have seen pics of stop signs that do say that)
Chad: They are found in Quebec...:rolleyes:
But we don't have the Académie française or any comparable institution that rules with an iron fist on the language
Are you sure?o_O

Yep ! A lot of words like dealer (for those sons of bitch who sell drugs), stop, parking...You use a lot of French words too: déjà vu, voila, fiancé...
Christian: Surprisingly, there are numerous French Speaking communities in Maine and Northern Vermont...

Wife and I had our Moderna Boosters this morning...then I read that this morning Moderna stock tanked. :oops: Who knew?

The Capitals lost in overtime again, last night in Southern Florida...Ovie did score another goal. Florida has a good team, with good goal tending, although Goalie Bob hurt himself last night. Caps looked sluggish again. or was it that I was wearing a Capital's T shirt on game day, again :oops:

TVLA engine # 5070-Utica NY - 02-17-1990.jpg

My favorite train "TVLA" [North Bergen, NJ - Los Angeles CA], passing through Utica, NY in 1990.
SEAL1 12-311980 at 69th St North Bergen.jpg

SEAL-1 12-31-1980 at 69th St, North Bergen, NJ

Afternoon All,

Spent 12 hours at the school yesterday. Needless to say that I slept well. Today the boss paroled me from the school. The fair finishes on Monday so I go in around 1200 to help pack stuff up. Today it's been raining since around 0300 with light to medium rain and we've received between 3-4 inches so far. It's supposed to continue raining all day. Today I fixed a couple of spots in my last ballasting job and finished up the remaining 2 interchange tracks into the main. This means that the main line has been completed ballasted.

Hughie- Nice start to the kit and coloring.

Chris- Welcome.

James- Hope your mouth feels better soon.

Willie- You're a better modeler than me. I don't have the patience for that.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon, (barely) all! A really nice day. Chamber of Commerce weather. It managed to make 66.
Flo, just a vanilla malted.

Quebec - In my opinion one of the neatest cities to visit. It has been many years since I was there and I'm sure it has changed but the old part of town was simple beautiful, much like a huge French Quarter. The Changing of the Guard at the Citadel, the Garden, crepe Suzettes and the Hotel Frontinac.

Willie - this is the first Bar Mills kit I have done that actually tells you to wait till the end of the build to install the outer part of the windows due to sliding around.

Today's progress photos

All the windows have been installed as well as roof sections
1636148016288.jpeg

Just a shot of where Jefferies Point will actually set. (Team track in front)
1636148119722.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

House update. That crane I posted the pics of a few days ago brought the bracing. We started putting it up on our lunch break work on Tuesday and Wednesday and today (and I put some of the long steel pieces that get screwed into the wall on Tuesday or Wednesday evening as well. That is all we've been doing is screwing those steel beams to the wall and then putting the support leg and scaffold platform on.

My son uses the 4lb hand sledge to get the spikes started and the two handed 10 lb sledge to drive them into the ground. I put the legs up and the scaffolding up and pit the gravity pins in :)

I only put the handrail bits of the scaffolding support in on the first few. I can do that myself when my son isn't around on the others so we've been skipping that part.

Tonight I will go back myself before it gets dark to put up the last of the steel support pieces ("strongback") so tomorrow we can finish all the scaffolding supports etc.

Monday I'll have to order the scaffolding planks from the rental place. I called them today and got the scoop on how they come.

The rough-in plumbing guy is supposed to come out Monday as well.

IMG_5111.jpegIMG_5110.jpegIMG_5113.jpeg

Well, howdy there internet café peeps.

It's Troy again.

Wife said it was time to drive an hour+ and deliver to my mother some of wife's apple butter.

My mother got a dozen half-pints. The biggest haul of anyone. But she'll be through that in about 8 months living by herself.

While we were there, wife did the bi-monthly scrubbing of the bathroom, and washed the mounds of dishes in the kitchen. I had the important job of running from Goshen, Indiana to Elkhart to pick up the pizzas from Volcano Pizza.

they're my absolute favorite:

253297916_4535880559812416_3502503797125828191_n.jpg

Once we ate, I too helped out cleaning the kitchen. It's amazing how much of a mess a 79 year old woman with failing eyesight and poor balance can let go. Not complaining. She cleaned up after me for many years.

However, while I driving along US 33 in "Dunlap" - where Elkhart and Goshen have expanded along the 33-corridor so far they Dunlapped over each other - i got to railfan. Never stopped long enough to get the phone up and photograph. But there's a three track main heading into the Elkhart railyard that runs along that stretch of highway.

Saw that CN engines are down here assisting the NFS engines. Only saw one consist out of four that was two NFS in black. The other three had a CN Red nose in front, trailing a black NFS.

Good evening. Murphy has reared his head again. My wife was riding the Trans-Aid bus home from the doctor's office, the bus went around a corner, and she found out the hard way the driver had improperly secured her mobility scooter. The scooter tipped over, with her on it.
She has some cuts, scrapes, and what will probably be a couple of spectacular bruises. The home-care physician sent a paramedic to the house to check her over. He said she will be pretty sore for a week or so, but can't find anything broken. X-rays are scheduled for 9 tomorrow morning, in our house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back