Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
89895456.JPG

That's something I haven't figured out, why aluminum is used for that. I thought it didn't conduct.
Ken - Aluminum conducts about 60% of the copper rating, as best I remember. Aluminum is light, conductive, strong, long lasting and relatively cheaper than copper.
Aluminum oxide is an insulating compound that must be removed (chemically or wire brushed) before assembling the tubes.
I worked for an electrical connector manufacturer for over 40 years, so I could bore you with pages and pages of generalities and exceptions about connectors.

Good Afternoon Model Railroaders.....beautiful day in Wisconsin. Maybe our first trace of snow tomorrow and of course I'm waiting to change the snow blower oil until it gets colder. I use a quality oil so if I miss changing oil after a light snow year, no problem.

Willie: Just enjoying a Diet Dr. Pepper & Cream Soda in a can.....very good if served very cold!!!

Just had a Handyman come and do some minor work for us. Nice guy who owns his own construction company and will do small projects as a fill in. We had him install six addition under-eave roof vents to help prevent ice dams during the winter. We had a bad ice dam several years ago and the water leaked into the house. He said that when he opened the first vent opening, he felt the in-rush of air into the attic.

I wrote several months ago about misplacing my graphite sticks. A railroader wrote that the minute I replace the sticks, the old ones will show up. Well, I did order a new set and withing a day or two of getting the replacements, I found the first set of sticks!!!

Making up a list of items for my Walthers trip on Thursday. Buying some wood kits so if that new virus hits, I'll have something to do at the kitchen table and avoid trips out into the world.

I recommend the web sites and U Tubes done by fellow modeler Jason Jensen. He does a lot of craftsmanship style structures and has videos on how he does his modeling. I just watched a video on how to mount paper signs on buildings. Well done and simple. Another good modeler is a fellow named Wiley and here a link to his sign making video....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHhH2xgt7M.

I think one of George Sellios' tricks is to finish his models all in mute tones to make them look aged and beat up. No contrasting colors unless they are being used for effect. Looking at the cover of Sellios' book, all the building are either dirty gray of dirty brown tones. Even a yellow sign on a building is muted by being well weathered.

Decided against buying a another lap top computer and will use Cathy's for my PR-4 use.

My Woodland Scenics grass applicator arrived today from Hiawatha Hobbies. Ordered it during the weekend and received the order confirmation yesterday and it arrived today. Great service. I placed a lot of internet orders even from local stores since it's cheaper to pay the shipping charges than drive to the store. I do order from Hiawatha Hobbies, but spent tons of $$$ at their former store as a walk-in customer. If I don't go to a brick and mortar store I tend to spend less.

Tomorrow it's down to the trains.

That's all for now....

Greg

####################

IMG_0371.JPG
This is my portable PR-4 with a length of test track mounted on a 1x4.-Greg

Hey Everybody!

Got off to an early start this morning. I wanted to take a minute to say good morning but my Amazon Fire tablet battery was dead and I was press for time.

So here I am, better late than never.

Willie, that is great news about your wife, thank you.

Karl, you have an off the wall sense of humor and a quick wit, I enjoy both.

Did anybody miss my daily Christmas song?
Have a great day Everybody!

Afternoon All,

Spent the afternoon at the local DMV with Dad to get his handicap placard and license with the new address on it. I finished the tracks around the roundhouse. I'll post pictures tomorrow. Also, tomorrow is monthly grocery shopping:confused:. Today is the last day of the 2021 hurricane season. :D

Troy- Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like a nice haul.

Willie- Great news about Arlene. Here locally the Elks run a handicap equipment service. Just return it when through with it. We used several things for Mom from there.

TomO- Thank you for the input.

IB Ken- The party sounds like a really big deal. Are planning on weathering the wall at all?

Chris- It looks pretty but no thank you.

Mikey- Great pictures.

Jaz- Great scene. How do you keep it so white? I get tons of dust here. We had a similar experience in Ft. Lauderdale. We were outside of the port (cruise ship late arrival) and had lunch at a McDonalds (don't think less of me) and there was someone begging with a sign that he was hungry. I watched someone give him food and then he proceeded to throw it in the garbage can.

IL Ken- Continuing prayers for your family.

Toot- Happy Birthday.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I like the music, I like the singer…but you gotta know he fancies himself far more than he would fancy anyone else, that said I would have worn his outfit in the day nice threads. And to be fair I like his dance moves. Although having danced with guys who have moves…you need to stand back or get knocked over, one dancing to Nellie the elephant jumped in the air and knocked a disco light off its hangar in a club…….oh yeah I married him lol

Around here "highway hooker" refers to those gals who hang around the truck stop parking lots and offer themselves to truckers. They generally (and hopefully) hit the showers inside between clients. There's never a shortage of takers. A local newspaper did an expose a few years back and estimated that there was at least two dozen of them "lat a very busy truck stop on IH-35 near here.
we called them "Lot Lizzards"........at the truck stops.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back