Running Bear’s November 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Well, after rebuilding the backups for the email server, it cleared up it's space issue. Should be good for a while.
Not much going on on the train front. I did run trains for a while on Sunday. I have to label the darn turnouts so I stop derails by not having them open correctly. No derails if they are set properly.

Willie: Great news on about the wife. I hope she has a speedy recovery.

I finally figured out why we have Christmas in winter: It's a reason to tolerate snow.

BBL

<EDIT> Happy Birthday Ray!!!

howdy there and good morning internet cafe dwellers

It's Troy again.

WILLIE: glad to hear of the wife's good spirits keeping you in line. I assume the ice-water re-circulator is to keep cold water running through some sort of sleeve over the knee?

Today, I'd like to share a coffee secret.

I learned a long time ago that I didn't care for coffee from the glass pot left on the warmer for too long. After an hour there, it's basically burned. I save that stuff for when I have to get roadside pit stop coffee for the drive. Nothing like burned coffee taste to make you wish the drive was over.

But, for the writing cave, I've hacked the system.

Since I prep the coffee maker the night before (balancing speed of brew when I groggy with quality of roast and brew), I can stumble into the kitchen hit the on switch and fumble about to get my bacon (precooked) into the microzapper while it brews.

Once it's done brewing, I could pour a cup, head downstairs, write some, run upstairs, get more, head back down to write. But by the third cup, that pot has been sitting on the warmer for a good hour.

So I got a $20 stainless steel thermal pitcher.

I pre-heat that by running hot water from the tap into it while the bacon is zapping.

After checking emails on my iPad, downing some yogurt and the aforementioned bacon, I dump the hot water, pour in the brewed coffee. Add my honey and creamer. Give it a stir, and take it downstairs. I get hot coffee for the next two hours, and no burned taste.

Here's a pic of the setup.

Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 7.40.33 AM.png

Good Morning All. Clear and 45° at the start of the day today.
I am now in the after care mode for a while, which gradually diminishes if this experience is similar to the two previous knee replacement surgeries. I wish to thank everyone once again for their well wishes for my wife.

A lot of bacon and two over easy eggs this morning Flo. OJ on the side.

Thanks for the multitude of likes and positive comments yesterday, too many to list today but I read them all.

Needless to say, I didn't make it out to the train shed yesterday, so I leave you with the pictures in the response to Jesse below.

Jesse -
I found a few nice things that I could not live without:
That's the way it always is. I went over my budget a few times in the past. Occasionally the owner of the LHS put stuff on the "reserved" shelf in the back room for me!
Nice haul. I actually have quite an assortment of unsavory scenes on the layout, I may have posted some of them while you were on hiatus. I'll have to search some out, meanwhile here's a few shots from around the Cigar Shop in Maultown.
IMG_7025.JPG
IMG_7028.JPG
IMG_7029.JPG

The choice between solid and stranded wire for power for lights is not a factor. Stranded wire is a lot easier to work with though.

Ken -
Sherrell - I'm glad to see there are several "war bonnets" in that power move consist, those are truly an endangered species!
Yes! But they're the wrong color! LOL;)
I am surprised at "one-year old" birthday parties, especially since they themselves never remember them.
Jaz - We already know from experience that ice water is one of the best "medications". We already have a walker which I have outfitted with a basket on the front to act as a pair of hands to carry things. Never accepted the crutches from the hospital.
Ray - Happy Birthday, although the day is almost over for you in the "downunder" world.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Good Morning!
It's 26f right now, but we will have chinook weather moving in and it's going to warm above freezing. Then, it's supposed to rain.
Rain around here at this time of year is not usually a good idea. Rains will make the roads and walks treacherous, and I'm reasonably certain that I would rather shovel.

Willie - Good news to hear the wife made it through the knee surgeries without serious issues. Lucky you, to have a bionic women now.
I like the layouts prostitution scenes, although such a scene wouldn't be realistic for a small town layout. The town size that I live in would have one hooker at the most, usually of the 'highway hooker' type that hitch-hikes from town to town.

I'm still working on the layout room reno. - Oddly, I'm finding the relocation of near 30 years of stuff accumulation the hardest part.
Yesterday, I had to relocate junk off one table so I could move the table. Now I need to move that same junk off the other table in order to move it. I don't have enough cabinets to store it all, and I'm presently filling boxes that will have to be emptied later.
I really hate throwing out neat stuff that I've not been able to find for the last 20yrs, because it might come in handy one day.
Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to take a progress photo of a 'layout space' by the end of the day.

Happy Birthday Ray!

Troy - I think that hot coffee holder jug is called a 'coffee kraft'. At least, that's what we call them here.

I didn't have any different railroad photos to share. So, here's a photo of a woodpecker instead:
American3-Toed_11-10-2021.jpg

Have a good one!

When ya leave coffee grounds in the paper filter over night so the machine can turn on automatically, the coffee looses flavor or in other words, stales.
Yes, but not dramatically so when beginning with already ground beans. I've done a side by side (or rather one after another) when I could only get one or two cups out of the pot before the warmer started overheating the coffee.

The extra flavour I gain by pouring water on my feet, 😜and putting the coffee grounds in the toaster because I'm not awake enough 🥱 to tell where everything is yet isn't enough to worry about.

(Even James Hoffman admits he does the night before with his dialled in Sage super-brewer system). :cool:

Ouch ouch and ouch, I never really thought about hookers, I assumed that either they were trafficked - which is totally gross often having gone for what thought was a real job or a modelling job but ouch - but some poor woman who ends up hitch hiking, probably to get warm place to sleep and likely in exchange for the obvious,one assumes moving on because once other women know what she is or men realise what they caught means best they don’t stick around,which means they are likely reduces to the clothes they stand up in,what the hell happens to them as they get older, if I had considered it I sort of thought they had a poor running car and made gas and food money and had at least a car with locks they could feel safe in, well safer than the alternative.
gigilos on the other hand always seem to be reasonably well looked after by some sugar momma, gay young men were the ones I always thought go the poor deal, hiv,aids,on the street sleeping rough in door ways.
all I can say is I know not how the poor souls ended up in such a shitty position,but I do not envy them.
that said one time I went to London kings cross station to meet a friend coming down from up north and a older woman came up to me and as,Ed for a hand my bag was in my car hidden - yeah I know if someone broke in they would find at but at least it was not screaming from the front passenger seat,anyway I had no cash and pointed out I was not carry a handbag and had no cash on me, she had a handful of cheap margarine and smeared my leather jacket (it did clean thankfully) but at that point I realised what she was as she clearly thought I was one too - yeah ok I was dressed to go out clubbing, but my sympathies were rather low at that moment, I was not far from the car - may or may not have gone and given her something as I initially felt sorry.
that said a hard life is not likely to bring out the best in us.
I also once saw a young woman with an emancipated dog begging for food for her and the dog, I was waiting for the other half and was getting burger king which had buy one get one free,I bought our two and offered her the two free ones for her and the dog, the response was,”how the xxxx am I going to smoke that” plus she would not let me feed the dog, I later found out beggars often leave their dogs thin in order to appeal to our emotions….she was pretty looked clean (but I was told had a wash clean maybe but….)
hmmm I think your lass in the side streets look great,and the scene amusing,I knew there was a reason I liked modelling life,that we can control

The town size that I live in would have one hooker at the most, usually of the 'highway hooker' type that hitch-hikes from town to town.
Around here "highway hooker" refers to those gals who hang around the truck stop parking lots and offer themselves to truckers. They generally (and hopefully) hit the showers inside between clients. There's never a shortage of takers. A local newspaper did an expose a few years back and estimated that there was at least two dozen of them at a very busy truck stop on IH-35 near here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back