Number Twelve Coffee Shop is now open

Good Mornin ! It's a nice day after yesterdays sorm. this was a cold front that came in from the midwest . Thanks Corey ! My friend works at our local sewage treatmant plant and he sai we had ove 2 and 1/2" in little over an hour .let me tell you we had some flooded streets and basements . A lot of our storm and sewage lines share the same pipes since it's an old system so lots of troubles . Oh well it's nice and comfortable now. Have to get up and do some stuff so I hope all is well in your part of the world !!!!!

Tom, I've been using EZ-Command for about a year. I'm now upgrading to a better system because I finally understand more about DCC. For a starter system or for someone who just wants to run a few trains and not get into CV changes, it's a good, cheap way to get your feet wet with DCC. It even controls my sound locomotives pretty well. Tough to beat for $50 or so.

Ray, good luck with the carpets. We had ours done about two moths ago and they still look good but no accidents to clean up either. I'm glad you got a good night's sleep - I wish I could say the same. :(

Paul, sounds like the prelude to fall has started up your way.

Up bright and early to the sound of the weather radio alarm. Had our first tornado this morning about 7:00 am and got the whole family down to the basement about 8:15 when we had one headed right toward us. It veered away about half a mile a minute before it would have hit here. Had almost continuous tornado warnings until about 10:00 am. Getting a little break now but the remnants of Fay keep spinning more rain bands in from the south so I expect we'll have another round of severe weather this afternoon. We've had another inch of rain this morning alone. This will probably go on until tomorrow night. The only good thing about is that these tornados from tropical systems tend to be weak and short lived so it's not quite as scary as the one we had in February.

That area of disturbed weather is now Tropical Depression 7 and I expect it will become a tropical storm by late tonight. It's forming in the same area as Fay and the computer models want to take it on the same path. They also want to bring it into Florida and then over to the Gulf as category 1 or 2 hurricane. I hope the computers are wrong about that but we shall see. The good thing for us, in addition to the much needed rain, is that it has really cooled off today. It's only 72 right now, which is about equivalent to a hard freeze for us in August. :)

:D A great big "HOWDY!" to everyone who was kind enough to say "Hi" to me.

Even the cats wouldn't speak to me over the weekend.

Had crazy computer problems with my home computer over the weekend.

I could get the system up and running for a few minutes and the whole system would go black. I checked my CPU plug going into the electrical power strip, checked the internet connection into the phone line, then turned the system on again. Success!
Everything went black again in about 5 minutes.
I tried checking everything again, could not get the system back up.
Over Sat and Sunday, I checked circuit breakers, outside phone wire and ground connections in the rain. No more computer, no electricity to the computer to show any operating lights.

Last night, one cat was batting a ball under the computer desk and there was a loud "clunk" and the cat vacated the area. Long story short, a book had fallen off the printer and partially unplugged the power strip.

I amaze myself at overlooking what is obvious in hindsight.
Does anyone else have such adventures??
Mikey

I've been using EZ-Command for about a year. I'm now upgrading to a better system because I finally understand more about DCC. For a starter system or for someone who just wants to run a few trains and not get into CV changes, it's a good, cheap way to get your feet wet with DCC. It even controls my sound locomotives pretty well. Tough to beat for $50 or so.
I've been using mine for about two years now. I picked up a booster almost a year ago and can now run all the locos I want. It's not unusual for me to have six running at one time. That's three trains pulled by two locos each.

Happy Monday to all retirees;have a good day workers!:)

Jim, you like trains...how about the rain-train that you are riding on, right now?:D

HI Mikey, when I was with the Gov. and after trying to fix a problem via radio, I got on a plane, traveled 3 hours up to the Laotian border from Bangkok, worked 1 1/2 hours troubleshooting a communications setup...then looked behind at the wall plug:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

More relative to the hobby: I had a short somewhere on the layout: I removed all locos...still a short, I removed all rolling stock...still a short. Now, there is nothing left on the track and its time to start cutting sections....whoa...what is that sitting over there on that siding...OOPS! My track cleaning car and no material on the cleaning head...bare metal to metal. Time: 3 hours

Paul, you have had almost as much rain as I have. Don't worry, Jim will wring it out good before sending Fay's remains up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex, the rain train can take a break for a while now. We've had 1.50 inches this morning and it still coming down. Looks like we should be coming to the west end of the rain band within the next hour and then it should just be more scattered showers after that. No real damage from the tornados so it's still been a good storm for us. Looks like you've been pretty much bypassed up there in T-Town.

I got a new patrol once and nothing worked. The radio, lightbar, siren, everything was dead. Had to take it to the county shops and stand around for three hours while they ran tests on all the wiring. Just for the heck of it, I popped the hood to check out the main relay. I asked the chief tech if the big red cable hanging under the relay was supposed to be attached to something. Ooppps...:eek:

Edit: Tropical Depression 7 has already become Tropical Storm Gustav and should be a hurricane by the time it gets to the Dominican Republic in the morning. This one looks like real trouble for Florida and the Gulf Cost depending on where he goes after he transits Cuba.

Well i'm ready for weekend, we had a three day holiday this weekend but i worked it all, no choice, 27 hours overtime will come in handy,,, the wifes spent it already, on a fold up bed so her nan can come for a week,,, the joy that will be,,, not, she's very nice but very hard work, all i can say is i hope the wifes got a week booked off work to look after her, it's not a job i can do.

Rex, the rain train can take a break for a while now. We've had 1.50 inches this morning and it still coming down. Looks like we should be coming to the west end of the rain band within the next hour and then it should just be more scattered showers after that. No real damage from the tornados so it's still been a good storm for us. Looks like you've been pretty much bypassed up there in T-Town.

I got a new patrol once and nothing worked. The radio, lightbar, siren, everything was dead. Had to take it to the county shops and stand around for three hours while they ran tests on all the wiring. Just for the heck of it, I popped the hood to check out the main relay. I asked the chief tech if the big red cable hanging under the relay was supposed to be attached to something. Ooppps...:eek:

Edit: Tropical Depression 7 has already become Tropical Storm Gustav and should be a hurricane by the time it gets to the Dominican Republic in the morning. This one looks like real trouble for Florida and the Gulf Cost depending on where he goes after he transits Cuba.

I had a friend who played a joke on a police officer.They wired the lights and siren to the accessory and when the police officer parked and turned his ignition to accessory,the lights and siren came on.

Evening Everyone!

WEATHER
Say hello to Tropical Storm Gustav
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=7&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

MyFox Tampa Bay weather webcast
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...560&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

LOCAL NEWS
Family spots black bear in yard
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=4&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Video of day: 10' Gator caught in North Port
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...ale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

PERSONAL NOTE
"Flo, I'll have the 30 oz. T-Bone steak med. rare, Large Baked potato with butter/sour cream and chives, steamed green beans with bacon and Ice cold Michalob Amberbrook or two or four. Then I want a big slice of apple pie ala mode! Put this one on Jims tab! also Flo can you bring Jim a big glass of water for that soon to be wallet fire!;) "

Well come on down Gustav, your the next storm on, "Let's wipe Florida off the face of the earth!":D :p Dang, it's that time of the year again, we're going to be buzzy!

Jim/Rex, you can have Gustav, you need the rain right? I'm off vacation and really don't want to get called to duty next week!:rolleyes:

Mikey Hi Mikey!:D Your buying the first round of beer at tomarrows dinner at Flo's!;)

Steve hope you house guest is well behaved! if not a tightly rolled up news paper is a good behavior modifier:D :rolleyes: ;)

Paul, i'm glad we ain't got basements! corrections there is two homes here in Spring hill that has basements! they ain't nothing but trouble!

Ray, Thats why 80% of my house is tiled! Any pet messes clean up easy and cheap!

Evening all. After a day of working out in the rain,I'm just trying to unwind,and dry out,if that's possible.:D :p :rolleyes: . I'm glad to see the rain,but I'm also ready for a break from it. Haven't done to much modeling,just been working on a few projects,but not at any break neck speed. Mike the only thing great about computers is,when they actually work like they are supposed to,otherwise,all they do is find new ways for us them for batting practice.:D . But seriously,I hope you got everything back up and working. Also,thanks to everyone who saw my photos of the Incident on the Cof GA. I tell ya,at first I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary,but when I got a second look,WHOA,I mean whoo man,that had to hurt. Anyway,just a glass of ice water Miss Flo,then I gotta run.Y'all have good,and hopefully,a better day tomorrow. Night. William.

Well my better half and I spent about 4 hours at the Kubota dealer today looking and test driving the different mowers. First a 1982 Kubota B7100, 3 cylinder diesel, The a Kubota new BX1800 18 hp 3 cylinder diesel and finally a ZD18 Kubota 18 hp zero turn mower about 5 years old. Ended buying the new BX1800 with a 54" mowing deck, 54" snow blade and a used PTO driven three point hitch roto tiller. Glendia kind of talked me into the new one befcause of the trouble I had had recently with 1978 12 Kubota. She said the new one has a warranty and will last me the rest of my days. So the one and one half hour drive was well worth it. The BX1800 is a demo model with 54 hours on it, Power steering, hydraulic lift, hydrostatic four wheel drive for snow pushing and the rear mount tiller for doing the spring garden tilling instead of the back braking walking behind tiller. I am so glad that I took her with me because I would have gotten the used 26 yr old tractor. So I am broker now than this morning but also a very happy camper.

Larry, lawn tractors are way too complicated for me but I'm sure Chris can give you good advice. I find my wife thinks of things I don't when we're out shopping, much as I hate to admit it. :)

William, that was a very cool sequence on the engine damage. I sure would have liked to see the size of that tree. :eek:

Chris, looks like Gustav will be a hurricane tomorrow as it passes over far western Haiti. He's much better organized than Fay and is following a very similar path to Fay. He's still too far out for the models to get anything accurate but the Canadian model, which did a good job with Fay, has him crossing Cuba as a minimal cat 1 then hitting the Keys as a cat 2 and moving up the west coast in the Gulf. Looks like landfall somewhere between the Panhandle and Houston along about Monday. He's one bad hombre and deserves watching by all of us down here.

Tranman, we had the shop wire the windshield wiper switch to the horn for one guy we all disliked intensely. They did this in July and it didn't usually rain until October. Everyone forgot about it until we had our first heavy rain and we could hear him heading back to the station with the horn blaring the whole way. :) We told him that quality control was just lousy nowadays.

Steve, good luck with your visitor. Any news on the results of your wife's test yet?

Looks like the rain is finally out of the area for tonight but I expect a repeat performance tomorrow. Our high was only 75, which broke the previous minimum high of 84 in 1942. We've had 5.12 inches of rain in the past three days and I expect another inch or two tomorrow. I'm hoping that Fay will start to lift out to the north by Wednesday so we can get some drying before Gustav pays us his visit. Should be an interesting week.

08-26-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress3.png

Good Morning from Florida!

WEATHER
8 AM 78 °F Partly Cloudy / Showers Coastal showers moving inland.
2 PM 88 °F Partly Cloudy / Showers Variable clouds with numerous showers and thunderstorms.
10 PM 81 °F Partly Cloudy / Showers Partly cloudy with a few showers.
Chance of rain, 30%

LOCAL NEWS
Not so harmless caterpillar
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

Watercraft blows up with girls on board
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

PERSONAL NOTE
"Flo, I'm running late! Just a cup of coffee, and do you know how to get to Leghome(Larrys) house?"

The weather man sounds sure that the hurrican won't get us! I hope he's right!!! Got another day at the park! Today got's to mow the Soccer fields!
Yes, Jim your right. After I read what Larry bought http://www.kubota.com/F/products/bx1850.cfm , I hooked up my trailer and fixing to barrow his new toy:D

Larry, I like mini tractors, Kubota and massey fergusons are great! If you don't mind me asking what did it set you back? I wouldn't mind one....Now at the park we have a 3130L 4 wheel drive! dang thing is like driving a car! ZTR's are great for cutting grass but that's it, Tractors have way more uses! You didn't get the front end loader and box blade:eek: those are money makers!:) :D Enjoy your new toy, and keep it in the garage! there's people who would slip in and barrow your little toy! I want one of these: http://www.kubota.com/F/products/F2680E.cfm But at $22K I might have to wait:rolleyes: :D

good morning.

It's 76 and mostly clear. The high will be in the lower 90's with a chance of thunderstorms later.

I spent part of yesterday rebuilding an old Athearn F unit from the workbench up. New gears, new wheels, new motor and an updated hex shaft drive to replace the old spline shaft drive. I also cut off the metal coupler pockets and replaced them with plastic draft gear boxes to avoid hot frame issues after I install a DCC decoder. I tossed the old rubber motor mounts and substituted plastic mounts which are held in place with screws, thus assuring the motor is fully seated. Everything is in place for a DCC conversion. Installing the decoder will take about 5 minutes.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 8/26/2008

Heat Index: 78°F
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 70°F

So Far Today
High: 76°F
Low: 74°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 6mph NNE

Today High: 92 Mostly sunny early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 90s. North winds around 5 mph.

Tonight Low: 72 Partly cloudy until late night then becoming mostly clear. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Lows in the lower 70s. Northeast winds around 5 mph in the evening becoming southwest after midnight.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P1010126.jpg

Good morning folks

Temperature on the way in this morning was 61 F. Our high today is supposed to reach 78 F. The weather guessers are saying that the remnants of Fay will reach us by the end of the week.

I ran a train last night. I found several of the cars and one locomotive had little problems. There were several broken grab irons and a railing post. I can’t figure out how they happened. I repaired most of them.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Chris The sticker price for the BX18 was $11,800 with the 54" snow blade but this being a demo with 50 hours for little over 9G. The used 42" tiller for $500 was cheap compared to new for $1,300. I was looking in one of our free for sale papers before I bought the Kubota and there was a nice looking Jacobson with 51 horse Kubota motor and an 11 foot cutting width for $6,500. The ad said it was over $50,000 new and was only a 1996 model. Just waiting now for a phone call to set up a delivery time.

Good Morning All ! It started out on the cool side 52 going up to 74 with lot of sun . It looks as Jim says a prelude to Fall . I took my daughter's car at the garage to get it inspected and my mechanic asked if I wanted a ride home. I went macho and said I'd walk and stop at the Farmer's Market on the way home . It's only a mile so it should be a peice if cake . Well I forot my cane and with my bad hip it was like walking uo hill the whole way even though it's flat as a pie. Next time I will take him up on the ride. Looks like we will get some of Fay aslo . She just won't give up. Well gotta get my garbage can in so I hope you all have a nice day !!!!!!!

Good day y'all!

I tried the computer again last night. It worked fine.... for about 5 hours as my wife caught up on her emails and jigsaw puzzles. I never did get on the thing after I turned it on.

Flo- two very cold beers, please! And if Chris doesn't get here in the next few minutes, I'll have to drink his to keep it from getting too warm!!:D :D

Please excuse me! After two beers, I gotta go visit the little boys room.:eek:
Mikey

Back