metal wheels. which is better?

You sir are becoming and expert and have created a thread with alot of good information.

Thank you and Happy Hollidays.

Hey, guys! This is a huge thank you! Thanks for the answers!

Merry Christmas!
Peace, kindness, happiness, good health and good luck!
To all of you and your family!

Hey, guys! This is a huge thank you! Thanks for the answers!

Merry Christmas!
Peace, kindness, happiness, good health and good luck!
To all of you and your family!
rustam , it says your from moscow , as in russia?? just curious :confused:

Yes it is used a lot here. I had some cousins that lived on Moscow street in Quincy Massachusetts when they were growing up. Throughout the USA we have cities called Paris, Berlin, Athens, Rome, Warsaw, Nazareth, Bethlehem, as well as many cities and towns named after those in England.

So far there aren't any Bangkoks, Tokyos, Hong Kongs, or Bombays.

We return you now to the metal wheel postings..............................

I thought I read on some forum at one time that 33" wheels were used primarily on 70 ton freight cars and the 36" wheels were used on 100 ton freight cars. I think that this is just a general rule of thumb and doesn't apply to all cars.
willie

this hopper

I did the right thing that set this hopper 36 size wheels?
Who would say - yes or no? ;-)

The coupler heights match so that is good.
The covered hopper looks to have 100 ton trucks (note 3 springs) so would have 36" wheels.
So, yes, you did right thing.

The coupler heights match so that is good.
The covered hopper looks to have 100 ton trucks (note 3 springs) so would have 36" wheels.
So, yes, you did right thing.

Thank you so much for your reply!

In general - all once again say thank you for the answers. I believe that the installation of metal wheels on the assembly models of cars ... it's like tuning)))

Last edited by a moderator:
continued

I want to continue the conversation about what's best for wheel sets of cars.
Now I have an opportunity (yesterday received a package) to compare products from Kadee. This Blackened wheels with code 88.

p.s. Ahead of us are waiting for sea trials ...

MMM...

As they say - no one I have friends! So will continue ...

Again I say. I need to do now running tests. On my layout, rails and arrows production PECO code 100. A very important point passing shot. I do not need to go off the rails;-)

Hi everyone! As promised I continue theme about the experiments with metal wheels.
I received in the mail from America so many different sets of metal wheels.
Now I got a great deal and I was very happy;-)

But just as in the packages I purchased not only the wheels, but cars from different manufacturers. This is a low-cost model and more expensive models. Manufacturers are different. There are ready-made and assembled cars.
On expensive cars climb is not what ... there and everything is ok))) But with inexpensive have a job!

I took an inexpensive ready-made car from AССUREADY and decided to fix it. I decided that the very shine its wheels.
By the way! Who will say that the wheels are used AССURAIL?

wheels_100_88_code_a.jpgwheels_100_88_code_b.jpgwheels_100_88_code_c.jpgwheels_100_88_code_d.jpg

The small custom car from ACCUREADY.
Instead, I put the plastic sleeves Kadee number 158. And changed the factory wheels on 88 Code of Intermoutan.

And I decided to put a little paint on the added items)))accuready_base_1.jpgaccuready_base_2.jpgaccuready_base_3.jpgaccuready_base_4.jpg

Testing the wheels is the best way to find which works best on your track. If the inexpensive cars are climbing off the rails it may be they are not heavy enough. Another reason can be the screws that hold the trucks on the car are too tight. The trucks should move easy when they turn and also rock a little bit from side to side but not so much that the car shakes when rolling in the train. I had a couple of problem cars I was able to fix by adjusting the truck screws slightly looser than normal. I discovered the floor and frame was not perfectly flat and all 8 wheels did not contact the track because of that reason.

rustam & All
FYI: The pre-roller bearing trucks being lubed w/ grease would get coated w/ the grease including the wheel faces. So they wouldn't look "rusty". Learned this from a very "old head" modeler.

I use a lot of Intermountain. I buy them by the case. Reboxx is also good, and they make different axle lengths as there are variations between different manufacturer's trucks. They cost a little more though!

NH Mike!
This is a mistake in the web-translation. The cars do not rise, that is do not go off the rails.
I would like to say that in the high-end models do not have to fix something. There is a metal wheel and good traction devices like kadee.

But for the tip "screwed" - thanks! I'll twist them)))

Last edited by a moderator:

Back