metal wheels. which is better?

rustam,
i never heard of code 88?? do you mean code 83?? i just never heard of that guage before

No, he means Intermountain code 88 wheels. They're the semi-scale wheels. The regular wheels that have been used for years are code 110.

PaulB! You always show good links to useful knowledge in modeling! Thank you!

Yes, I use the width of the wheel 88 Intermountain.

And a little more of the wheels. I like to do it! ;-)
Worked just airbrushed. Although there is a desire to walk with a brush over the springs and add a bit of chalk dust for real)))
wheels_weathering_01.jpgwheels_weathering_02.jpgwheels_weathering_03.jpgwheels_weathering_04.jpg

I have a couple of platforms for trucks and trailers.
This composite model ACCURAIL kit's.

What wheels used on trucks - 28 or 33?
Hey guys tell me what I should do with them?

accurail_flatcar.jpg

Both of your cars use 33s. Only more modern tri-level autoracks, and 2-axle front runner flat cars use 28" wheels.

Let me ask something, I have noticed that many clubs are persistent on having metal wheels, what is wrong with using Athearn blue box wheels, they are very quiet smooth and look pretty good.

Which Blue Box wheels? Later Blue Box cars came with metal wheels.

There are a few reasons why club are persistent on having metal wheels.

1. Metal wheels derail less. Metal wheels have tighter tolerances for roundness than plastic wheels. Plastic wheels are usually molded so there will be mold parting lines as well as the potential to not be fully round. They also can be damaged more easily. Metal wheels are heavier and more resilient so the flange won't ride up over the rail and derail as often. Metal wheels are machined, not molded.

2. Metal wheels don't deteriorate. The plastic used in plastic wheels varies depending on the manufacturer. Some wheels were made of the same cheap plastic used to mold the cars, while some are made of nylon. Athearn's newer plastic wheels were made of delrin/celcon (two names for the same material). Some of these materials deteriorated over time, more so if some sort of track cleaning fluid is used (such as rubbing alcohol). When these wheels deteriorate, they leave behind black crud on the tracks. Metal wheels can be many materials as well, but most metal wheels these days are at least either solid nickel-silver, or some other material such as brass with a nickel-silver plated exterior.

3. Metal wheels make that clickety-clack sound.

Try REBOXX wheelsets! Go to: www.reboxx.com & read about their products. It's a small company, selling GREAT mrr products. My 2 cents.....papasmurf in NH

Hi! I have heard and know about this company. I have - http://www.reboxx.com/Tools.htm
It is a good helper for rolling. But just think they need to make this tool even more. Sometimes he walks in the hands (you know what I mean?). But overall I am very happy!

Ihnem on site, I can not understand the tables (I'm not so good English knowledge ...). There are several variants of the width axis. Which to choose? I have kit's BOWSER, Athearn, Accurail...
Tell me please?
;-)

Rustam ...
I tried to send you a PM on a guy who can answer most of your questions about REBOXX wheels.

Your box is full and you need to clear out some messages .. Would not let me send you a message

Thanks ..

Rustam ...
I tried to send you a PM on a guy who can answer most of your questions about REBOXX wheels.

Your box is full and you need to clear out some messages .. Would not let me send you a message

Thanks ..

Rustam works through a translation web site from English into Russian. It maybe limited in what it can translate from this forum as far as headers, etc. and might be the reason he does not or can not access his pm's.

Back