Designing an HO layout for my nephew...Please Critique.

What do you think of this beginner layout for a 10 year old?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pacodtaco
As laid out looks like lumber cars would need to be moved out of the way to work the coal dump. The switchback can be avoided by having the dump spur come off end of siding & cross the lumber yard spur at grade. Think it won't take long for your nephew to get very tired of the extra moves just like on the real RRs. Also what is the "viaduct" on the yard & interchange tracks? Seems like it would be better placed on the siding crossing a stream into the pond.

The viaduct area is there for two reasons. To start, this is a low viaduct...I envision a bit of a gully or washout here. Maybe sculpt in a runoff area during hard rains etc. The nephew thought a stone viaduct structure was cool and he wanted it included so this is what I came up with. It will only be 3-4 scale feet high. The structures in my drawing are not to scale. Oh, and the lumber yard...well, it is more of a lumber yard than a lumber mill. I basically wanted a building supply type lumber yard here and again not to scale in the drawing. Thanks for the feedback though. I always welcome suggestions.

Pacodutaco

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Pacpdutaco,
I think the plan looks great. It is hard to have a functioning layout with size limits, it looks like you guys are headed in a good direction. My layout is also 4 x 6 and HO. It is my first layout at 48 yrs old. I think the thing I have learned from a small layout is that you want to always keep space for scenery. I think the scenery will always add to the layout and make very interesting in the long run. I think your nephew is going to have a great time working on this with you and your brother. Post pics with your progress if you have time.

Thanks
Scott

Hey Pacpdutaco,
I think the plan looks great. It is hard to have a functioning layout with size limits, it looks like you guys are headed in a good direction. My layout is also 4 x 6 and HO. It is my first layout at 48 yrs old. I think the thing I have learned from a small layout is that you want to always keep space for scenery. I think the scenery will always add to the layout and make very interesting in the long run. I think your nephew is going to have a great time working on this with you and your brother. Post pics with your progress if you have time.

Thanks
Scott

I think you are right. The hardest part of designing this layout was the size limits. I think I have found a new respect for the guys that design "micro" layouts. It is easy to just throw a circle of track on a table top but it takes time to work in things like scenery and functionality. N-Scale would have been the best scale for the space available but HO has proven to be more of a challenge with respect to layout design.

I just started designing a 4x8 HO layout for myself now. I'm planning it slow and methodical to get what I want most out of it. I have a small spare bedroom in my home I can use however I am not able to build a permanent layout there. I use this same room for a home office and also a guest room when I have overnight visitors which includes the nephew this layout thread is regarding. It will be mobile and I also want to be able to easily transport it to shows if I want.

I was going to go with N scale but we had an HO set that belonged to my son when he was younger. I didn't have much money to work with so I thought that was the way to go. I realized after looking at other small layouts, that more track is not always better. I originally had an inner loop that was going to run frieght and an outter loop for passenger. The inner had 15 inch radius curves and was small, it really did not leave me with a lot of space for buildings and scenery. I decided to remove the inner and run freight with some simple spurs for industry. I think in the bottom line is, are you happy with the result and enjoying the hobby. I think the fun of this is that you can make it your own from your ideas. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
Scott

Back