Designing an HO layout for my nephew...Please Critique.

What do you think of this beginner layout for a 10 year old?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Several people suggested the same thing so I have a 3rd version now to check out. It has been interesting getting everyone's feedback on this project. My nephew saw the changes from version 1 to version 2 last night at Grandpa's house and really is getting excited. Lets see if this 3rd version is going to pass muster.
I really like both the 2nd and 3rd versions. My only suggestion now on the 3rd version is to not make the two sidings in the top town symmetrical. It looks too contrived. Make one more straight and one more curved or something so they don't look like someone holding a mirror in the center.

Ok, I had some time today to fiddle with the design a bit more and came up with version #4 and #5. Let me know what you think.

Eli_Central_HO_4x6_v4.jpg

Eli_Central_HO_4x6_v5.jpg

I rather like #5 myself and am tinkering around with adapting it to a 4x8 if we can squeeze my brother for a couple more feet. :)

might want to look at just running the passing siding all the way to the spur at the top. might be able to put a wye switch there to maintain the radius.

I think that looks great. Your Nephew will love it.

I hope so. I have put in about 12 hours total just designing this track plan. Originally, I asked him if he wanted to model in N-Scale and run long trains or HO and have a smaller layout but bigger trains and he wanted to go with HO. Personally, I like both but was hoping he would choose N-scale since space is a consideration. There just isn't a lot you can do in a 4x6 space in HO and the kid didn't want a shelf layout. He wants to be able to run a loop. At least in N-Scale we could have used a hollow core door and built it to slide under his bed when not being used and he would still get more railroad in the process.

Has he seen any good N scale layouts? I know I was impressed when I saw my first N scale layout. The amount of stuff you can put in the same space is amazing. Why not design a quick N scale layout on a door and show him? Just some ideas.

Ok, after reading the comments, here is version #6 to review. I think this is the best one yet...

They are all good. Truthfully, I like #5 better. In that one the top towns industries are longer and less curvy. I think it might be difficult to get cars into the switchback siding on #6.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the designs!!! Great for a 4x8 and looks like you should be able to put enough in the way to give a block from one side to the other. Good stuff!!!

I thought of that Kevin but at 10 years old I don't know if he will understand that smaller scale is better than larger engines. I guess it is worth a try. I may try to get him to the local train club that has both HO and N and let him see for himself in person what can be done.

I think that would be a really good idea. It may help him better understand the difference in the scales. Because while you can get more into an N scale layout, the amount of detail you can get into HO scale structures, trains, and scenery is really cool. With N that becomes a bit more difficult to achieve the same realism. But nevermind that. You have done a great job designing a layout that looks like a lot of fun. So either way, I think he's going to love it. Good job :cool:

Hello all, haven't posted in a while. Just thought I would update you as to what is going on. I took my nephew to the local train club. They have operating layouts in N, HO, ON30 and Lionel. He had a blast. He was really riveted on the N and HO stuff. They even have a HO layout that the kids can operate themselves. He really liked the size of HO so he settled for sure with HO as the scale. He really likes version 6 I came up with so this is the finalized design. The kid has already been scarfing up my old MR Magazines to read and has decided he wants model late steam. I reminded him he will need to use small steamers ie. 2-6-0's and maybe 2-8-0's due to the size of the layout.

Now, since spring has started, we will start picking up Atlas Code 83 track for the project. I will probably substitute code 83 flex for all but the switches but I'm not sure yet. His dad and I started off with sectional track as kids and his father thinks he may like to be more "hands on" when assembling the track. He may be right but cost is also a consideration. Just one of the items we need to iron out before we get too much invested in flex track.

He is busy with baseball and church right now on weekends so it looks like we won't get started on the actual construction until summer when school is out. I am posting a pic of the design he likes and including a color rendition of what this will look like when complete.

Many thanks to all who made suggestions on how to improve this design. I will post more pictures once we get started on the project construction.

Regards,

Pacodutaco

Eli_Central_HO_4x6_v6.jpg

Eli_Central_HO_4x6_v6_Color.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pacodutaco,

(Love the handle), The plan he likes, for a small layout, is actually one that just about anyone getting into the hobby, would love! It's versatile enough that it can teach operations to anyone trying to learn. It can "support" 2 trains, and probably the best of all and you may not have even considered this, but this layout can be built in Z, N, HO, On30, On3, and full blown O scale, (2 rail) and O gauge, (3 rail), with just minor adjustments needed for each scale for the plan to fit on an appropriate sized table.

I have shown this to my wife, and she wants it built for her N-scale trains. If you don't mind, I think that I'll borrow it!

Pacodtaco
As laid out looks like lumber cars would need to be moved out of the way to work the coal dump. The switchback can be avoided by having the dump spur come off end of siding & cross the lumber yard spur at grade. Think it won't take long for your nephew to get very tired of the extra moves just like on the real RRs. Also what is the "viaduct" on the yard & interchange tracks? Seems like it would be better placed on the siding crossing a stream into the pond.

Pacodutaco,

(Love the handle), The plan he likes, for a small layout, is actually one that just about anyone getting into the hobby, would love! It's versatile enough that it can teach operations to anyone trying to learn. It can "support" 2 trains, and probably the best of all and you may not have even considered this, but this layout can be built in Z, N, HO, On30, On3, and full blown O scale, (2 rail) and O gauge, (3 rail), with just minor adjustments needed for each scale for the plan to fit on an appropriate sized table.

I have shown this to my wife, and she wants it built for her N-scale trains. If you don't mind, I think that I'll borrow it!

You and your wife are welcome to model this. Post updates as you get into the n-scale version. I would be interested in seeing it.

John

Back