D&RGW Platte Canyon Subdivision

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

V&AL

Fred's Loco Shop Foreman
Is it just me or do the pics at the beginning of the thread no longer sho?

I jsut found the thread and WOW!!! I wanna see more!! (but all I get are red X's on the first several pages...)

redxpoke.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Thanks guys!

V&AL, I'm still seeing the original images. They are hosted at a soon to be defunct account at picturetrail. Me thinks I need to reshoot them anyway.

V&AL

Fred's Loco Shop Foreman
might jsut be the USCG computer system... blocks alot of photo sharing sites... I'll check 'em at home tomorrow...

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
Eric, "Grande" photos as usual. :) I'm glad to see you got some time off work to get down to the layout for a bit.

NWCanuck

Tip&Ring
One more quick question, how man inches are your signals from base to the bottom of the spire on top. I got a kit from Oregon Rail for a double target signal and I just want to make sure that the Brass Rod that every thing gets attached too is the right length (height in HO scale). The instructions make it sound like I have to cut it.

Thanks again:D

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
If I may add: best my research could come up with was all railroads differed in height and even within the railroad itself. Most were a scale distance 14-18 feet from the bottom of the base to the top of the signal head. I have a ~1/8" separation from sig head to end of brass at top. Be looking for my post this weekend on how I made my 3 light sigs for around $6.00.

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
If I may add: best my research could come up with was all railroads differed in height and even within the railroad itself. Most were a scale distance 14-18 feet from the bottom of the base to the top of the signal head. I have a ~1/8" separation from sig head to end of brass at top. Be looking for my post this weekend on how I made my 3 light sigs for around $6.00.

Thanks Rex.

I think 14-18 feet sounds correct, though I can't remember the exact height of the signals on the PCS (been a while). Of course, there were exceptions in 1:1 scale. For example, the Grande used short searchlights to control traffic flow out of sidings...

I've added a short gallery of Platte Canyon Sub images to my website.
http://ericmcferrin.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Denver-and-Rio-Grande-Western/10559258_TbcVs#979009283_aqEg5

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
I love your imagery! Sure wish you were local as I'd love to come see it.

Honestly, the virtual tour is better. The PCS is a small railroad in the corner of an unfinished basement. It was quickly built because my son (LGM) was growing up fast! The next layout... now that one is going to be the one to visit! ;)

Thanks for the comments and I am glad to hear you enjoyed the images.

Cjcrescent

Master Mechanic
grande man;203559... The next layout... now [U said:
that[/U] one is going to be the one to visit! ;)

Eric;

So when do we see a plan????????:D

PS. Lost your e-mail address. Could you send it to me again?

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Well, we made some major progress today toward running a few trains again. LGM and I cleaned the basement!!! WoooHooo! Hopefully we can get the railroad up and running again soon (track cleaning). :) While we were working, I noticed the line up of freight cars on the workbench that need "tweaks". That may be my first modeling project in quite a while.

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Well, as it turns out, my return to modeling is a 20x30" diorama to give the Platte Canyon Sub a few new camera angles... ;) Here's the first image from the new project.

This image has a hand painted backdrop that was illuminated with a gelled, wireless Speedlight (external flash). Two additional Speedlights and a reflector were required to complete the lighting. The headlight intensity was brought out during the long exposure. Except for the momentary blast of flash this image was shot in near dark conditions. Basically, the flash provides primary lighting and the long shutter speed "burns in" the detail lights on the locomotive.

Days end brings with it a spectacular Rocky Mountain sunset. Colorado and Southern F3s helpers run light over frosty rails as they coast down the mountain during their return trip to Sedalia. At times the Grande borrows power from the C&S pool to meet the demanding schedule in the Platte Cayon mining district.

1108183431_PttL3-O.jpg

LoudMusic

Empty coal drag rumbles toward the Joint Line from Denver's Cherokee Station power plant.
105893342.jpg

Something I think about periodically in modeling is the authenticity of what is typically perfect track work. Seeing this little wiggle of rail headed toward the plant seems to add to the realism - for me at least. I don't know if it was intentional or actually a frustration, but it looks good ;)
________
Prilosec Sickness

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Something I think about periodically in modeling is the authenticity of what is typically perfect track work. Seeing this little wiggle of rail headed toward the plant seems to add to the realism - for me at least. I don't know if it was intentional or actually a frustration, but it looks good ;)

I agree, perfect trackwork can look less than convincing, especially on a siding.

Man, that's an old photo... I need to reshoot that angle. ;)

Here's an overall shot of the recently completed Platte Canyon Sub diorama. The only change from the sunset image is that I relocated the backdrop.

5219648906_6b4e0e8275_b.jpg

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Another shot from the diorama...

"Oh Christmas Tree"

The afternoon light fades as a Rio Grande crew cuts a Christmas tree, making good use of their time spent in the siding at Rocky. Earlier in the week brakeman Jim had spotted the nearly perfect tree near the east switch and promised to get it for his kids if he got the chance. While the engineer and brakeman quickly harvest the tree, the fireman stays on the engine to "mind the store". Excitement is high because everyone knows that they will soon be home for Christmas with their families once the board turns green.

MG_7729.jpg
i-PDkQMCc.jpg

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.