D&RGW Platte Canyon Subdivision

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

TWhite

Tom White
Wow, is it ever NICE to see this thread pop back up--I've always admired your modeling skills, but this is like being re-introduced to an old friend. Some of your shots are absolutely mind-boggling (the servicing pit, for example, or that head-on shot through the bridge on the mine run), and ALL your work is just superb.

Of course I might be SLIGHTLY biased, since Rio Grande is my favorite railroad of all time :D .

In fact, might I say that you've actually inspired me to get my first--gasp!--DIESELS? Yup, went out and got a 4-stripe Rio Grande F-3 A/B set. No, there's going to be no takeover, LOL, I got it for my 1949 Royal Gorge, just in case my 4-8-4 needs a rest.:eek:

So, keep us posted, and KEEP ME DROOLING!;)

tOM

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Wow, is it ever NICE to see this thread pop back up--I've always admired your modeling skills, but this is like being re-introduced to an old friend. Some of your shots are absolutely mind-boggling (the servicing pit, for example, or that head-on shot through the bridge on the mine run), and ALL your work is just superb.

Of course I might be SLIGHTLY biased, since Rio Grande is my favorite railroad of all time :D .

In fact, might I say that you've actually inspired me to get my first--gasp!--DIESELS? Yup, went out and got a 4-stripe Rio Grande F-3 A/B set. No, there's going to be no takeover, LOL, I got it for my 1949 Royal Gorge, just in case my 4-8-4 needs a rest.:eek:

So, keep us posted, and KEEP ME DROOLING!;)

tOM

Oh my! I feel like I am responsible for opening Pandora's Box! :D

Thankyou for the comments, Tom. I can always count on you. Being a fellow Grande nut, it's easy to relate. I can tell you for sure, the Yuba River Sub is one of my all time favorites! :cool: Your modeling is really the inspiration here...

Rogue

Flying Scotsman
Working my way round the forums and finally got to looking at this thread and all I can say is wow! what a fantastic layout! and what awesome photography too! Kudos!

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Working my way round the forums and finally got to looking at this thread and all I can say is wow! what a fantastic layout! and what awesome photography too! Kudos!

Thanks Rogue!!!

Here are a few of the newer shots using wireless flash units.

Colorado Sunset
2636830480_50ac7c9aeb_o.jpg

Moonlight on Mine #4
2575534686_7417c07972_o.jpg

2575836937_be2507f5b7_o.jpg

The day shift foreman gets his people busy readying GP7s for the busy day ahead.
2598447389_497c8c095e_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
Hey Eric, glad to see you're posting some model pix again for a change! Even though I thoroughly enjoy your proto shots, I always like seeing new views of the Platte Sub. Gives me something to aspire to.

UP2CSX

Fleeing from Al
Eric, that night diesel shop picture ia a beaut. It almost looks like a red fusse on the track in front of the Geep. Nice effect if that's what you were trying for.

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Thanks guys!

Jim, the red light is actually from a dwarf signal. I turned it off half way thru the exposure in an attemp to keep it from being to bright. A fusee is a great idea though!

Ken, you're supposed to aspire to the proto shots... :D Thanks for your kind comments, my friend.

Rico

BN Modeller
Whoa, awsome shots! Good timing too, I'm in the middle of rock placement on the upper level and getting some great idea'rs!

TaeOH

or just Tom...
Very nice. I am researching the Rio Grande right now and found this thread. Thank you for showing your work.

ThoroughBreed

Dcc~detail~diesel freak
Wow, after 4 years, this layout thread is still an inspiration to many. I have seen this thread multiple times, and each one I find something new in the pics.
Great detail work on the Geeps and F units. Awesome scenery work also. Excellent photos and skills showing!
You have put a lot of time, money, sweat and blood into this and it shows.
Again, awesome work! :cool:

suprduc

This thread will live on forever, definitely one of my favorites here. Eric's right, it's an inspirational thread that just never gets old.

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Thanks for the comments everyone. :)

The Platte Canyon Sub is a lot of railroading in a little space that has gotten a good bit of attention here in spite of the fact that there are much bigger, more advanced layouts around. It is a good example of a layout that many folks could build without using up the whole basement or garage (or breaking the whole bank :eek: ) that still has a lot of operational possibilities.

I've been so busy for the last several months that we haven't run much. LGM (he ain't so little anymore) and I need to get busy running some trains again!

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
Eric, I still like gawking at this thread. You and Trey have done a fine job in design and craftsmanship. You two have packed a lot of operations in for that size layout. ;)

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Eric, I still like gawking at this thread. You and Trey have done a fine job in design and craftsmanship. You two have packed a lot of operations in for that size layout. ;)

Thanks for the kind words Rex!

I haven't had the time to do much photography on the PCS lately due to work, but decided to grab a few shots for this months photo contest. This seemed like as good a time as any to update the virtual tour...

Day shift got off to an early start of another busy day servicing locomotives at Sedalia. This morning has run thru power from the C&S needing attention too.
3622644595_07c9e8a562_o.jpg

C&S power waits for its next run west into the Platte Canyon mining district.
3622645403_d0fda6e7c3_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.