D&RGW Platte Canyon Subdivision

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
I love the Above photo.

yup - I totally agree, that photo is awesome!!

GM - Glad to see you posting AND modeling again

Thanks guys. I appreciate y'all staying with the thread and checking in from time to time.

Scott, I had a great time building and photographing the diorama. I look forward to shooting more images of it soon.

It sounds strange, but one of my favorite parts of the actual modeling for the Christmas tree image was making the axe. Its handle is hardwood turned down from one of those "industrial grade" Q tips. The head is .012" brass wire with solder that I shaped and cut as required and glued to the handle.

Model railroads and Christmas are a natural fit. That makes things even more fun for us model railroaders!

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Here's something I need to run by y'all for some feedback. In the last few days I've been working on painting the outside of the backdrop and staging yards to give the railroad a more "finished" look. After the paint dried I hung a 13x19 printed logo that looks like this...

5291817579_8a2115b571_b.jpg

To my eye the first logo looks fairly believable and simple. Then I got to thinking (run Forest, run!:D), maybe a "logo" should tell more of a story so I decided to design one. Keep in mind, I'm a far cry from a graphic designer, just a photography/photoshop nut with some time on my hands. Can y'all give me some opinions about the graphic below? If it doesn't do anything for you, please don't be afraid to say so. It is intended to tell the story of fictional D&RGW subdivision thats reason for being is coal mining and also present a somewhat "retro" look. Was thinking this could be used on my website, not so much on the layout (though that is a possibility too). TIA.

5292403350_3ab77047bf_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NWCanuck

Tip&Ring
I think both logos look great and either one a good a fit. Now if I had my choice it would be the first logo (yellow on black) and I would loose the tracks and tools off of the second one to keep it clean and simple. Nice work though. :D

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
I think both logos look great and either one a good a fit. Now if I had my choice it would be the first logo (yellow on black) and I would loose the tracks and tools off of the second one to keep it clean and simple. Nice work though. :D

Thanks for the feedback Brad.

Here is a revision to the second graphic. You're right, simple looks much better. I also changed the aspect ratio after making the changes to make it look more like a prototype graphic and avoid empty space at the bottom.

5293485834_6439274160_b.jpg

NWCanuck

Tip&Ring
Thanks for the feedback Brad.

Here is a revision to the second graphic. You're right, simple looks much better. I also changed the aspect ratio after making the changes to make it look more like a prototype graphic and avoid empty space at the bottom.

5293485834_6439274160_b.jpg

Yep, I like it, looks right now.;)

blue92rs

Cheaper than therapy!
Your photography skills are incredible! as is your layout! Beautiful work and thankyou for sharing it. My son is turning 5 tomorrow and has enjoyed being with me and the trains since he was able to walk. Hope we have many more years of enjoying the hobby together

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Thanks for taking the "tour", guys.

blue92rs, You have a golden opportunity to spend some great quality time with your son model railroading. If you do it, it will pay big dividends as he grows up.

I wouldn't take anything for the hours we spent planning, building and running our small railroad. We used to read Model Railroader or the Walthers catalog together at night and railfanned regularly. My son is 16 now and is still interested. It's been a great time. :cool:

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
You have some really great looking photos. Keep up the great work and post more photos as you get a chance.

Thanks for the comments. Haven't worked with the Platte Canyon Sub in ages, need to get the new Canon EOS-M into some of the tighter areas and get a few new shots.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.