Come on in to Coffee Shop 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Larry- im very sorry to hear of your loss, best wishes to you and yours.

Gee what a coincidence, i was the last post wondering when to start looking for a new shop, and "woot there it is", didnt get on the blasted first page though :mad::p

Flo, as my first order ever at the shop, id like a 8oz. strip, medium well with a baked potato, and put it on irongraves tab as well please, saying how thats what i was thinking of during english, and also im no longer the new guy :D

Not much going on here tonight, wishing everyone a nice night

Larry I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Having just lost my Dad, I can relate. You and yours are in our prayers.

Hiya Gang!

My fathers funeral was today. It was a beautiful ceremony, attending by a large group of family and friends. Getting outside of our "little world", it amazed me at all the services how many people my father had touched over the years.

My father was never a model railroader in the normal definition. However every fall he would start going to my Grandfathers house to help him set up a traditional train garden, with Lionel trains and all the trappings. After I came along, at the age of 4, he started setting up one in our house, but with that newfangled HO scale. I still have that set of trains, and occasionally still run them. As I grew into a teenager, he started buying Mantua steam kits, which he and I built over the course of a few weeks. These were not without a hitch though. Good grades brought kits, completed chores were traded for 1 hour sessions working on the kits each week. And yes, I still have those engines too.

When I was in Scouts, I remember him helping me complete my Railroading merit badge. Even though it meant rushing home from work one night to get me to the merit badge councellor's house on time.

Over the years, after my children were born, Dad didn't help with the trains themselves, but building benchwork, or helping out with wiring issues was always something which I could depend on him for help. Carpentry and phone repair were his vocations, so both came in handy when working on the layout. Leading up to and after my divorce, Dad seemed to gain a real appreciation for my chosen hobby. He would not only watch me run them back and forth across what modules I had in the basement, but would regale me with stories of the B&O in West Baltimore in his younger days. True, It wasn't really his cup of tea, but because it was mine, he had no qualms about sharing it and helping me with it. It was just the kind of support that Dad gave to any of his children, whenever they asked.

In closing, Janice and I would like to thank each and every one of you for the kinds words, the sympathy cards, emails, and those who attended the viewings. You truly made a rough time in our lives a little easier to bear.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

larry your family is in my thoughts tonight

matt thats a small stake if your putting it on my tab might as go all out, lol

as for me my trip to work wasn't so bad jeep stayed mostly warm today. and some of its new parts showed up, so I'll be working on it this coming weekend.

"Does it make any difference in download time since you only load one page at a time...or am I mistaken?"

Bob told me a year ago or maybe more that after it gets to 1000 posts it starts bogging down the server hence we move close to the 1000 posts mark. Do not really know why but when especially I had dial up it did work faster than when it got near 2000 posts.

Drew Thanks for the steak and the beer!

Larry "Nothing runs like a Deere cause a Kubota is chasin it" Hmmm, didja know that the word Kubota means sunken rice pattie? Now there's a vision of speed right there!!!!! :D;):rolleyes:

lraK, Dads are great. I think my Dad lived his "second childhood" through us three boys. Trains, go carts, my baseball, football, and track and field successes. We then got into shooting, racing, and cars.......... He was raised, and actually was friends with James Dean. I don't think he ever lost that rebellious nature of those times.

His family was poor, but close. Grandpa was an electrician at a factory here. Money was tight, but Grandpa was always looking to find a way to add to the pot. He also had an appliance/electronics store. They actually had the first TV in Grant County. They erected TV antenna towers as well as sold radios, TV's and washing machines.

Still, I think Dad was proud of our accomplishments. My making All-State in football my sophomore year, and the following years as well, one could see his pride. He never offered advice to me about the game, but often scolded me for taking too many chances on the field. I placed my first All-State medal in his casket.

We got back into trains together a few years before he passed. He even bought Jay, my grandson, his first trains and left us with a horde of equipment. So, I guess he, in his way, sought to keep the hobby going with that gesture.

Prayers be with you, larK, seems our Dads were of the same cloth.

Bob

Evening everyone

Well another day has come and gone, I'm counting the days until Vicky is able to start driving again and resume life in the "outside world". Haven't touched anything in the trainroom since the day she fell.

Karl - hope you get a chance to decompress now. You were truly blest to have a Dad like you had. I enjoyed meeting your "middle" son at the Viewing, at that height I'm sure he must've been on his HS basketball team...

Larry, hope Glendia is holding up OK. I remember how tough it was on Vicky when she lost her dad 2 yrs ago, even nowadays sometimes she still grieves.

Phillip - hope your wifes gastric surgery goes OK, we'll keep her in our prayers!

Corey I was just looking at the weather map, seems like you guys may be getting a break pretty soon from the nasty cold. Lots of warm air from the Southwest blowing up your direction.

Chris - Hope the deep freeze hasn't killed off any of your lawn business..?

Chris - Hope the deep freeze hasn't killed off any of your lawn business..?

only people that still have green lawns are those smart enough to plant winter rye! needless to say only 10 lawns out of 30,000 are green:rolleyes::( either way my business has took a nose dive until june! I hope to pick up some Power wash and tree trimming!!!!!

we should have a warming trend comming soon.....

Larry...I hope that your family finds peace and comfort in the memories you have of Glendia's dad. It sounds as though, as with Karl, the memories are fond and plentiful. Keeping you and yours in my prayers.

Sandy

Thank you all for your sympathies they are greatly appreciated. Glendia can not get over the support you folks have given us this past month and back in August with her mother. I was talking to one of his dear friends this afternoon and we got to talking about Glenn and his cars. He was an Oldsmobile driver from the mid forties. When he got his 2001 Aurora and took it to Ed for an oil change(he changed the oil every 90 days whether it had 15 or 1000 miles on it)Ed's employee went out to pull the car in the garage Glenn jumped up out of the chair and started watching him like Al was going to steal it. I bout a 1989 Olds 88 Brougham in 94 that had 20,000 miles on it. Glenn had waxed it so much that the door jambs had turned yellow from all of the wax. He was very particular about his cars to not even wearing his work shoes in the car when he got off. He would sit in the seat and change shoes and had tow floor mats on the rear floor board with a throw rug on top of them for his shoes to sit on. Once home and the car was in the garage he would wipe it down before going into the house. To say he was a fanatic about his cars would to be putting it mildly.

Larry - My deepest sympathy's to you an Glenda. You know you guys are in my prayers.

Karl - You and yours are in my prayers still as well. It's good now though, as the healing can really begin.

This is such a great BB. VERY similar in support and encouragement to one other that I belong to.

my newest little horse has found himself a good home. I'm really pleased. And I placed another horse this week that was on her way to the meat market. very well bred thoroughbred who hurt herself in a race, the owners just couldn't be bothered to deal with it. She's in better hands now.

Larry, sorry I passed you by in my earlier posts. I've been meetingmyself in the doorways here about every 5 minutes or so.

My condolences, again.

Seems like Chris has upset the Grim Reaper in here lately. Whatever you did, Chris, you'd better apologize. And FAST!!!!!!

All jocularity aside, we have friends here who are dealing with great pain in their losses. I do pray that all of you in distress are receiving the blessings of all of our prayers.

ltf, glad the equines are in good hands. It's hard to imagine that they would get any more of anyone's heart than you give them. Kudos to you and your efforts.

Bob

Good morning. It's 27 and clear. The high is due to be 57 and cloudy.

Got the car back from the first shop yesterday. The steering works great now but the brake system still has to be fixed. No news yet on when I need to take it to the next shop. They were ordering the parts yesterday and expect them to be in today. If so I may be able to get it in before the end of the week. The hardest part of the job for them will be bleeding the master cylinder. It's an ABS type and it's a mother to bleed. Hopefully I should have it back on the road by the middle of next week at the latest. On the layout front, I worked on one of my Athearn GP38-2' yesterday. It had exhibited some hesitation the last time it was run and I wanted to know why. The problem turned out to be a loose wire on the rear truck.

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/Running-Bear/DSCN2172.jpg

Karl - hope you get a chance to decompress now. You were truly blest to have a Dad like you had. I enjoyed meeting your "middle" son at the Viewing, at that height I'm sure he must've been on his HS basketball team...

Actually Ken, he doesn't like basketball. However, I will be the first to admit, he can whip me in a one-on-one game. It seems like only yesterday that I also could beat him at video games too, but then again, it seems like only yesterday he was still in diapers. :rolleyes:
I'm sure you are counting the days until Vicki can be out and about again. Must be like getting snowed in, for 6 weeks!!:eek: Here's to getting things back to normal,,,,soon!

Good morning folks

It was 26 F as I rolled onto the highways and byways. High today will be 35 F. That is now two day above freezing. By Saturday the high is supposed to be in the mid forties.

Last night was uneventful. My daughter had volleyball practice and my son had his guitar lesson. I attended the monthly Cub Scout Roundtable.

My son’s Athearn passenger cars arrived yesterday. He and his friend spent most of the afternoon after school test running them. He is really pleased with them.

Speaking of fire equipment, my father was a volunteer fireman most of his life. He belonged to the S. M. Vauclain Fire Company. The company’s fire house was originally in the Baldwin Locomotive Plant. Here is a link to their equipment. The fire engine at the bottom of the page is the one my father started out on.
http://www.station62.com/apparatus.php

I hope everybody has a good day.

Just got scammed outta $25! :eek:

Bought Tiger Woods DVD entitled "My favorite 18 holes". ;)

Turns out it's about golf. Damn Waste of money. :mad:

Pass this on so others don't get scammed.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back