Coffee XXXII Apr. 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeffrey,
That's quite a bit of rain alright, no wonder many of the rail cars look so weather beaten.

I like the Switch engine above very nice.
Thanks for the compliment on the SW1500. It's the only loco I have that has ditch lights. I think it WAS an Athearn blue box model before it was turned into a gem. I can't take credit for it. That goes to several modelers who spent the better part of a year working on it. I entered my name in some kind of contest some years ago. The prize was a fully detailed weathered loco with DCC. I won but I think I was the only one that entered. It's the priceless diamond in my collection. I run it once in a while but it spends most of it's time in the display rack.

Good morning. It's 74° and partly cloudy. There's a small chance of rain this morning increasing a bit in the afternoon. The high will be 88°.
30-1.jpg

This morning I'll be busy mowing my parents yard. Afterward I'll spend some time cleaning up my work area on the layout. I also have a UP boxcar that's serious need of some weight and a pair of couplers.

P1011150.jpg

Good morning folks

It was 66 F as I hit the roadway this morning. Our high will be 84 F. Today is the cool day as the next few days will be in the 90’s.

I haven’t had a chance to post the past few days. I have, however, been trying to keep up with things. We have been preparing for our upcoming trips. My son will be heading to Philmont Scout Ranch at the end of the week for two weeks of back backing in the New Mexico backcountry.

My daughter has been preparing for the AAU National Volleyball Championships in Orlando, FL. They have been practicing every moment they can squeeze in. Tonight is their last practice. We will be leaving Thursday-Friday morning hoping to be on the road by 3 AM and below Washington by rush hour. She gets done on Wednesday. She was invited to a College Prospect camp which means we have to leave Orlando on Wednesday and drive to California, PA for the camp.

My son graduated from Middle School and now is a freshman in high school. Of course the day went with a bunch of drama. My FIL fell and sprained his ankle. It was swollen like a grapefruit. I had to drop my son off at school while my wife tended to her father. When I got back we called the ambulance to take him to the ER since we could not get him there ourselves. We then spent the morning waiting. They told us he had a fracture and that he would be ready to leave in 10 minutes. After 40 minutes of waiting we had to leave and go to my son’s graduation ceremony. We returned an hour later to find them trying to teach my FIL how to hop on one foot with a walker. With him being 78 and having arthritis it did not go well. In the meantime the radiologist read the X-Rays and said the fracture was old and that he had only a sprain. So now they took the splint off and gave him a brace. He could now walk and go home. Of course it took another hour to get a walker and then another hour to get his discharge papers and then a half hour to get someone to help him dress. All toll we spent 7½ hours in the ER. He went to the orthopedic doctor yesterday and was told that it is a slight sprain and that he is doing well. If there are no problems he does not need to the doctor again.

With all these preparations and other fun I have not had a chance to even think about modeling. I have, however, been following Norfolk Southern’s heritage paint schemes on Facebook. I have to say the Pennsylvania RR and the Reading schemes are two of my favorites so far. I hope to see some of them in person someday.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Grass is cut!! I had to fix the tractor before I could use it. If you remember last time I broke a control end. I had the part, just hadn't gotten around to putting it on. It took me ten minutes to change it out using a pair of pliers and vise grips. Now I'm back home and it's starting to rain. While I was down there I took twenty minutes to put a new weed trimmer together. It's a model I haven't seen before so it took a bit longer than usual.

One time...many moons ago....railfan disturb yellow-jacket nest with weed whacker.....railfan feel multiple stinging sensations simultaneously.......not weed whacking back there ever again.

railfan

Good morning folks

It was 74 F as I headed out this morning. You can already feel the oppressiveness beginning to build. Our high will be 96 F. Tomorrow it could pass 100 F.

My daughter had her last practice before the National Championships. It was an OK practice. They scrimmaged a team of college freshman and sophomores. I am little worried because they were not earning points the way they should be. Sometimes it seemed like they were waiting for the other team to make a mistake.

My son is also finishing preparing for his trip to Philmont. His backpack should now be on its way to Colorado. The backpacks are going by truck. He will fly out on Saturday morning.

Of course I have a bunch of last minute errands to run today and tomorrow to get ready for all the trips.

My FIL is doing better. He threw the home nurse out of the house and told her he does not want her to come back. After his visit with the orthopedic doctor on Monday and the fact that the doctor told him he is doing OK and does not need her I have to agree. I did not care for her either. She seemed like she was trying to find ways to hold his recovery back. I also did not like her manners or the way she constantly talked down to him. She also kept acting like everything he told her was lie. Basically she was rude and somewhat unprofessional in my opinion. If he had continued with the home nurse I would have been requesting a different nurse anyway.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Morning

76F and already feeling like 88F out there this fine morning..going up to 88F feeling like 103F later on...

Got the ol' doctor appointment thingee to get to today...might get a chance to run some trains later on....

Have a good day!!

Good morning. Temps is 75°. Heat Index: 73° Humidity: 92% Dew Point: 71° High: 92°. Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 90s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Vision is still messed up and I can't see well. All lettters look to be doubled and have troyble seeing keyboard. Problebly won't be on much today. Thinkinh some kind of allergic reaction as it ussully happens after mowing.

P1011155.jpg

Good Morning All! Another day of "Run Rabbit Run" is on deck for me. :p
I'm not complaining about the heat. I prefer it over the snow.....

Trying to get sone layout work done. Hard to see smaller things. No work on locos as I might breakl something. Maybe just go back to bed.

Hi yall! Long time no see! I only have time for a cup of coffee, and Flo, make it the same way I like my women, blond and sweet!;)

Anyway I posted a reply to the "dumb & non-observant" thread in the DCC & Electronics section in the Project Room. I basically did something as dumb. I was, however, having some of the local NMRA judges over to judge the layout for electrical and civil engineering. The layout had all of a sudden, quit working and a constant short was showing up! I checked all of the connections, reset the command station, etc, but no matter what I did nothing worked, until I discovered I had set a Sprite can across the rails.

I removed it and everything worked just fine. I was awarded my civil and electrical certificates, in spite of the blunder. I even got a special award from the judges, who to keep their identities a secret, didn't sign the award, cause they couldn't find the short either!:D

SpriteAward.png

DCC system 300 bucks
DCC locos 100 bucks each
Can of Sprite, brings it all to a stop 75 cents
The smile it bring to my face (and continues to do)
:D:D PRICELESS :D:D

Thanks for sharing Carey, a lesser man would have just hidden in the corner!!

Good Afternoon guys,
Hi Francine & Flow, how are you both doing today? That's good, glad to hear it. I think I'll have the Burger Special with extra lettuce and tomatoes and plenty of fries and some coffee, ya, even on this hot day. Well maybe on second thought I'll have a cold soda instead. Makes more sense, don't you think?

I just came back from doing a tube of laundry while finishing up getting another Caboose Industries High level Switch stand assembled and painted. I then had to bend the brass throw rod to the right length to stick up through the arm on the switch stand. So I did that and placed the switch stand arm over it only to find one of the point rails let go from the code 55 cross beam that ties the two points together. So now I have to re-solder that. Fun on the railroad but making progress!

Talk with you guys later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back