Coffee XXXII Apr. 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well my father called a while ago and said he had a watermelon to cut up. So I had to put in an appearance to eat my share. An eightieth of a watermelon later and I had had all I wanted. My sister asked how I would handle a hornet nest. I said 'AI'. AI? Artificial Intelligence? No, Avoid It. Pouring a bucket of scalding hot water down into it can help too. Wasp spray can work wonders on it.

My problem FP7 quit running today for some reason. I opened it up and that a wire had come loose from the motor. I wonder if that was because of a poor solder joint or was it that hot. That chincy little motor gets so hot you can cook bacon and eggs on it. I soldered the wire back in place and the loco is running again. It still has that annoying hum which I'm sure is from the gears. The sight of red gears set off all kinds of alarm bells because of the cheap Mexican made Con-Cor drives back in the late 80's and early 90's that hummed, screamed and squealed, same time period this loco was released.

I know the feeling Jeffrey! And that's not even dealing with model railroad stuff. :rolleyes: Anyhoooooooo, I'm off to fire up the barbeque. Doing a pork loin with apple wood chips. Using the dutch ovens for biscuits and baked beans. Making coleslaw,potatoe salad and green beans with pork neck to boot! Doing all of my cooking now so I can sit and relax tomarrow. :p

Heck Mike,
With a feast like that I'm head back East from central Cal, leaving right now too, to join Rex and Carey at your place, sure sounds great! Thanks for letting us know!!

Say Jeffrey: Why don't borrow the G6 and head on up too, your a lot closer than I am. Afterwards we can maybe all head down to Rex's place and operate some trains, maybe?

I guess Flo and Francine will be missing a few customers for a day or two?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my father called a while ago and said he had a watermelon to cut up. So I had to put in an appearance to eat my share. An eightieth of a watermelon later and I had had all I wanted. My sister asked how I would handle a hornet nest. I said 'AI'. AI? Artificial Intelligence? No, Avoid It. Pouring a bucket of scalding hot water down into it can help too. Wasp spray can work wonders on it.

My problem FP7 quit running today for some reason. I opened it up and that a wire had come loose from the motor. I wonder if that was because of a poor solder joint or was it that hot. That chincy little motor gets so hot you can cook bacon and eggs on it. I soldered the wire back in place and the loco is running again. It still has that annoying hum which I'm sure is from the gears. The sight of red gears set off all kinds of alarm bells because of the cheap Mexican made Con-Cor drives back in the late 80's and early 90's that hummed, screamed and squealed, same time period this loco was released.

Oh Jeffrey, One thing that hit me about your situation and BNSF's is that very possibly the main drive gear did fit tightly on the armature shaft and that is where a lot of squealing was coming from? Assuming of course you had the armature shaft bearings lubed well front and back.

If you find it is slipping you may have to remove it and use some paint thinner or whateve to clean the armature shaft and gear good and then get it positioned of the shaft again and I'd suggest using an exacto knife to scribe a short line from the shaft up slightly on both sides and turn the aremature 180 and do the same thing on the gear and then use a small file and try and scratch the armature shaft where the little marks are and apply a bit of Super glue to prevent the gear from spinning.

I had to do that on my MDC as I applied to much oil and grease and the main drive gear was slipping and the track cleaner wouldn't go anywhere!

Good, 'Really Hot' Afternoon from Central Calif,
The thermometer inside the back porch reads about 98* which means it's probably about 108* outside. OMG, I need to open my car up too. Brb. Well if feels quite hot but a dry heat so it's not too bad.

Lets check WuW and see what they say?
Now Mostly Cloudy? Oh really not where I at.
Temperature 95.4 °F - Feels Like 91 °F
Wind(mph) 3.0
Sunrise / Set 5:38 AM/ 8:21 PM
Moon Waning Crescent
Tonight Clear 68 °F
Clear Tomorrow Clear 104 °F. Oh Joy I can't wait, how I hate the HEAT!!

I'm going to check and see what the thermometer in my little wind gauge says is the temp? 106.8 °F & 6.4 Mph wind intermittently.

Going to work on getting more done on the Curved Turnouts I building as well as getting some pictures taken.

Talk with you all later.

Nope, long distance travel isn't my forte. Way too painful and some of my meds present certain problems.

Well Jeffrey,
If the truth was to be known, I've also become a guy that sticks very close to home too. Actually I have more than enough to do around here and just watering the front lawn in this high heat is a task too to keep it and the bushes alive. Thank God they are well established but they still require a good watering now and again as I seldom get any rain this time of year.

So don't tell Mike, but I really couldn't get away even if I wanted to.

Take care.

Oh Jeffrey, One thing that hit me about your situation and BNSF's is that very possibly the main drive gear did fit tightly on the armature shaft and that is where a lot of squealing was coming from? Assuming of course you had the armature shaft bearings lubed well front and back.

If you find it is slipping you may have to remove it and use some paint thinner or whateve to clean the armature shaft and gear good and then get it positioned of the shaft again and I'd suggest using an exacto knife to scribe a short line from the shaft up slightly on both sides and turn the aremature 180 and do the same thing on the gear and then use a small file and try and scratch the armature shaft where the little marks are and apply a bit of Super glue to prevent the gear from spinning.

I had to do that on my MDC as I applied to much oil and grease and the main drive gear was slipping and the track cleaner wouldn't go anywhere!
No problem of that sort. Flywheels are tight, shafts fit tight and the worms are tight on their shafts. I've had the trucks apart, cleaned thoroughly and put back together and still get that darn hum. There's no squeal, never has been. And it's BOTH trucks that hum, not just one. I have some disk brake caliper lubricant I can try on it. It's safe for use on plastic. The stuffs slick as a greased pig! If that doesn't shut it up nothing will.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010954.jpg

Good Evening...

I had a wonderful day of doing a lot of train stuff..no HD listie things, no groceries to buy...nothing but train room today... we will see about tomorrow when it gets here...:)

Going to head off to get some sleep now...g'night!!!

That's a neat shot Jeffrey, sure looks like you have a lot of activity going on.
That scene no longer exists as that part of the layout and benchwork were ripped out some time ago. I could no longer crawl under to get to the air conditioner to service it so some drastic changes had to be made.

Good Morning

It is currently raining to beat the band out here..monsooning more like...going to a high of 85F feeling more like 95F out there ...in the rain and those ol' t'underin'boomers....:eek:

Going to be a quiet day today with Audrey and the little Spring...no visitors cropping up..so I get to run my choo choos for another day:D:D

I'm on my way to pick you up, Carey. Keep it warm "Old97"; we will be there in a jiff.;):D

LoL! :p Everything went off without a hitch. Didn't close up the grill until 23:30 EST! There was sooooooo much smoke from the charcoal and wood chips that you would've thought a steamer was meandering through. :eek:
Now I'm just resting and stuffing my face. Already had some pork, beans and biscuits for breakfast. :D :D
Soon as the Broake & Howe boys get here, we'll get a move on the day.

Happy Father's Day Everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Father's Day!:cool:

Good morning. It's 74° and partly. The high will be 92°. There's a 20% chance of isolated showers and thunderstorms this afternoon.

Cleanup on the layout continues. It's just picking up an item from here, another item there but it's progress. I can see the gravel surface of Labicht Drive again! Wonder how long that'll last. I'll be keeping an eye on my problem FP7 today. I soldered a wire back onto the motor yesterday. Whether it's coming loose was due to a bad solder joint or heat in the connection I don't know. If it comes loose again I'll know it's due to some insane heat buildup in the connection. I'd think that kind of heat would destroy the motor but I've seen stranger things. The next time I have the loco opened up I need to take measurements of the motor and see if I have another one I can shoe horn in there. I'm going to run the existing one until it fails.

P1011140.jpg

Good Evening, or late afternoon I guess.

Everything is all quiet here. We played a bunch of CD's and stuff here..and had a bit of an interesting time watching some youtube vids of some train runby's..

Oh...and it rained and poured for a good portion of the day as well...:rolleyes:

Gonna see what is up on the layout tonight....:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back