Coffee XXXII Apr. 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning

We be getting sun and about 60F today..going to go downtown with Audrey to see what is going on down there...seems there is a downtown festival of sorts being set up...that is right..a festival...in the middle of April:confused::eek:..hey, if the weather is good, why not?:):)

So, what you got going this fine Hump Day?:):)

Good morning from SoCal. 59 heading for a sunny and warm 79. It's surgery day for the wife. The day will be mostly doing what I'm told to do.

Good morning. It's 50° and sunny. The high will be 78°. Northeast wind at 5 to 10 mph.

Not much planned for today. Just whatever comes up I guess. I still have to get the north engine house off the layout and make that short stretch of track look abandoned. Rained again yesterday which turned the ground from damp to soggy. Heard someone up the road having fun in a ditch this morning. One of the neighbors went up there with her 4x4 to yank him out. No need to worry about her. She's a big farm girl. If a guy tries something with her she'll very quickly rearrange his body parts, including some he might think are important!

P1010770.jpg

Hi everyone! Hope all have sent their dollars to Uncle Sam, on time. I laugh when I hear that Millionaires are wanting to pay more taxes....sorry, but nobody wants to pay more taxes...what garbage!:p

This afternoon is the time for me to change out a ballast in my depot. I have florescent fixtures for my general lighting and installed them where I could easily change out the bulbs. Unfortunately, I didn't think about replacing the ballast and this one is center over part of the layout. Yup, going to be a real PIA.:(

:)Have a good'un!:)

David
Sadly, Bowser is out of the parts biz, might want to try Yardbirds trains (http://yardbirdtrains.com/). maybe the have something that will work.
Or fleabay?
I guess you want something like this?

Hi Karl,
Good to get your reply and very glad your feeling much better.

I took the liberty of adjusting your image to show the detail of the Valve gear and drive rods on your very nice Dock Side.

Yes, that is almost exactly what I'm looking for except I like to have the Flat Top steam chests as I think they will still handle the Walschert Valve gear?

I had to do some searching but did find that IHC faithfully reproduced the Little Joe's of Varney Dockside fame. I actually still have the super structure and heavy boiler weight out of the Old Varney I used to have!

So now to see if I can buy it reasonably or not. I did see it listed for $150.00 but really didn't want to spend that much as it really doesn't fit my era but it about the shortest Loco I know of to transfer a car at a time on my 64' Atlas TT.

Karl, would do me a favor and measure your locos overall length from the front step to the rear step so I can compare if it's the same length as the little Life Like [LL] I have. The reason is that as it is now I can just fit the LL plus one shorty 34' coach on the TT and even then the coupler uncoupling pins over hang to the maxium so it barely allows me to pivot the TT around as needed. I imagine they should be the same length but I'm unsure?

90147[/ATTACH]"]
A2CorrectedKarlsDetailedValveGearDockSide2.jpg

David,
I've got a Life Like Docksider too, and side by side, they are to same! 4 incheches from coupler face to coupler face!:)

Attachments

• A2CorrectedKarlsDetailedValveGearDockSide2.jpg
    A2CorrectedKarlsDetailedValveGearDockSide2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 114
Good Evening

I'm having a wonderful evening out on our back deck tonight...no skitters, no black flies...just a lot of tiger moths around....

We had a busy day..found a whole pile of goodies downtown ...wandered around checking out some new places that opened up...and spent cash only...heeheehee....

Going to the train inna bit to run some trains here...

hhmmmmm...I got one of them in N scale.....:eek:

A couple more ideas for the abandoned spur.

P1010783.jpg

DSCN2306.jpg

Well, time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

Back in the state I am not allowed to name, the local railroad had a coiple of retired 40' boxcars on an isolated piece of track. They used them as storage and workshops.

David,
I've got a Life Like Docksider too, and side by side, they are to same! 4 incheches from coupler face to coupler face!:)

Thanks Karl,
Yes, I just measured mine too, so thanks a lot. Does the IHC run nice and slow or did it require some break in? Most do and really that's no problem as I just place my fingers in front of them and let them run in place while I vary the speed with my Basic Engineer hand throttle and do the same in reverse too.

I'm not sure if my Distributor handles IHC or not, but I'm sure going to check!

Take care

Good Morning

Everything be all sunny this morning, getting some clouds moving in this afternoon with showers and the occasional t'underin'boomer as well...

Had time to run some trains last night..ran them for a couple of hours and had no accidents, incidents or gremlin attacks..now...for the operating session on Friday...:eek::cool:

Looks like the Woodstock Turn of the NMRA is going on but I will not be there:(...had news last night that Audrey's sister phoned up an said that her aunt passed away just last night...funeral set for the weekend...sigh...I knew this aunt as my own as well:(......of course, this on top of w**k is going to be interesting....:cool::eek:

Well, better be getting the stuff done that needs doing here..have a good one!!:)

Good morning. It's 55° and sunny. The high will be 82°

Well I've decided that my abandoned baggage car will be the best car to place on the abandoned spur. I made it for just such a display so it should be used as such. And yes there's a prototype for this. Just look in downtown Leesville. Now I'll need to add some weeds and bits of junk here and there.

Got a call last night that my mother is home from the hospital. I'll go over to look in on her later.

P1010791.jpg

Well I've decided that my abandoned baggage car will be the best car to place on the abandoned spur.

That's a good decision Jeffrey. Any chance of a hobo living in it?

And yes there's a prototype for this. Just look in downtown Leesville.

Yep. I remember the picture you posted of it many moons ago.

Got a call last night that my mother is home from the hospital. I'll go over to look in on her later.

That's great! Keep us posted. :)

Good Afternoon Guys,

The underground weather:
Now Clear,
Temperature 80.4 °F
Feels Like 80 °F;
Wind(mph) 0.0;
Sunrise / Set 6:18 AM 7:38 PM;
Moon Waning Crescent;
More Astronomy
Today Clear 79 °F;
Tonight Clear 61 °F.

Last night till very early this morning I fooled around on my layout and found that on the far side of the inner line at Ridgecrest, where I had a string of cars standing behind a 2 truck shay that my power wire had broken loose from the rail so I re-soldered it in place and then ran the Shay and string of cars down the mountain and parked fouling the main a little ways past the Anglin Oil siding and cut that blocks power.
Then I placed my MDC Track Cleaner on the beginning of the climb back up the hill to Ridgecrest and and slowly ran it up to Ridge crest and cleaned the inner passing siding that had the broken power connection.
In the process of doing this I learned my depth perception is off as I can walk around to the outside of the upper grade and look down the passing siding in front of the Horseshoe Medow Depot beyond the curved switch and water tank to the far end of the line at present. So I was standing there and controling the power to the TC with my Crest Radio Hand throttle and even though I had a string of cars parked on depot siding to use as a refference I still ran the front cleaning pad of the end of the rails.

Then I decided that I would take a look at the connection between the armature shaft and the flywheel as it seemed it was slipping when I looked at it before. As usual with my heavy hand on lube it was slipping so I removed the fly wheel onto which I had previously affixed the small tubing to and cleaned both areas and applied some Woodland Scenics Hobby tack to the inner portion of the tube and let it dry and then pushed it over the armature shaft end and got the flywheel back into position and put the shell back on the heavy base frame and away it went only more positive now.

Time for a late breakfast; Say Francine sweetheart, How about fixing me a couple of eggs, three pork sausage links and a large slice of that sour dough bread you have along with some peanut butter and some strawberry jam and plenty of coffee and if you have some of that Hazelnut creamer for it that would be great too.

Oh, Old Mike said he'd cover the bill for me this morning which I thought was Big of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back