Coffee Shop XLI-2/23/2014

Hullo all,

I see Karl already provided a weather report.

In my last post I mentioned that I was about to attempt, for the first time, to use DecoderPro for speed-matching my locos. The good news is it works great on all my non-sound models - it's true, I really can perform the actual task in less time than it takes to read the instructions. The bad news: My Tsunami-equipped Genesis geeps totally ignore any changes I make to the speed table. This is a bummer because I wanted to be able to consist a single sound unit with two or three other non-sound locos. I tried in vain to do a google search on the topic using the phrase "Tsunami speed match DecoderPro" but got no exact matches - only a gazzilion partial hits. But I'm positive I heard of somebody using DecoderPro with Tsunamies before..?

Good morning. It's 70° with 97% humidity. The high will be 88° with some clouds.
pcloudy-1.jpg

No plans set in stone today. I may work on the IIc's disk drive later to see if I can get it working again. Since the motor drive works it has to be something on the control board that moves the read/write head back and forth. Yeah, the drive spins but the head doesn't move.

Right now I'm just waiting for the Home Health nurse to call. Got a different one for a while as the other is on vacation. The wound vac therapy is working well. The wound has decreased in size by a third since I got out of the hospital.

P1010369.jpg

P1010326.jpg

P1010294.jpg

Hullo all,

I see Karl already provided a weather report.

In my last post I mentioned that I was about to attempt, for the first time, to use DecoderPro for speed-matching my locos. The good news is it works great on all my non-sound models - it's true, I really can perform the actual task in less time than it takes to read the instructions. The bad news: My Tsunami-equipped Genesis geeps totally ignore any changes I make to the speed table. This is a bummer because I wanted to be able to consist a single sound unit with two or three other non-sound locos. I tried in vain to do a google search on the topic using the phrase "Tsunami speed match DecoderPro" but got no exact matches - only a gazzilion partial hits. But I'm positive I heard of somebody using DecoderPro with Tsunamies before..?
Yes. You need to enable speed tables for the decoder. There is a setting for it in decoder pro.

Yes. You need to enable speed tables for the decoder. There is a setting for it in decoder pro.

Yeah,,,what he says. I can do it, but I cant recall the exact steps......Layout computer is going in the trash can :( gotta get another one for over there.

Terry, is this "setting" a radio button in the center of the Speed Table page? Or something under another tab that is more SoundTraxx-specific?

Karl - what happened to your 'puter - did it die on you?

Terry, is this "setting" a radio button in the center of the Speed Table page? Or something under another tab that is more SoundTraxx-specific?

Karl - what happened to your 'puter - did it die on you?
I remember it being a two step process. One is to uncheck the start, mid, max button, and the other is to check the use speed table button.

What's wrong with it?

Its an old XP machine, Athlon slow, no more XP support, CPU cooler makes loud buzzing noises at times (till ya smack it), sound recently quit (except for start up sounds) I've really got to consult with #1 son (computer geek) as to what to do with it. I've been using it for webpage updates, JMRI and Loksound files until last month, when it all went to crap.:p

The really nice part is that it has 2 monitors,,so I can re-arrange and upload code on one screen, and just refresh the other to see it my edits had the desired effect.

Good afternoon all - Hi Francine & Flo, I just have some coffee for now.

It's a cool cloudy day and according the Android Quad-core weather it's supposed to rain fairly heavily? It was supposed to do that yesterday too but didn't.

I'm taking a couple of days off from doing much of any mowing of the tall dry Oats, field grass that has about 6 missle shapped individual seed tassels hanging off the tall stem. Hopefully it will rain enough to not only wet the ground good to hold the dust down real good as well as wet the grass enough to keep all the chaff from flying around.

I starting to make a bit of progress learning about using a database to set-up a shipping and delivery schedule with but have
a fair bit more to learn I'm sure but it seems fairly simple so far. I did find out that I definitely would need a Relational Database so that the direction I'm headed in.
I wish I could remember who was telling me I could just about the same thing using thing using a spread sheet but think the data base might be more realistic?

I'm going in to work on my layout shortly after I make another pot of coffee. I think I need to ask Bill where he got his 6 pot
Bunn brewery?

Oh Karl: I'm not sure if I mentioned it before or not but a friend sent me a serious of shots showing all the various car manufactures around the world showing the fact that they all have hundreds of thounands of new cars parked after assembly with no one to buy them and they just keep producing more every day.

http://www.vincelewis.net/unsoldcars.html

Talk with you all later.

Just before noon today I had something happen that I got really excited about. I had a kitchen fire! That's right. I was cooking my lunch and my microwave caught fire. Lunch was burned to a crisp and there was thick smoke pouring out of every opening. I unplugged it then got the extinguisher (I keep two, one in the closet and one under the layout. I got the second one.) and put out what was left of my lunch then sprayed the powder in through the side vents to put out the fire inside. Near as I can tell the transformer/magnetron shorted out. I now have a brand new microwave to take it's place but I have to get the old one out of here first.

Wow Jeffrey! never a dull day huh??

David, I know all about that glut of cars. We've got the largest amount of Kias in the state, over 200 units for sale. And more coming. We just sent 2 cars to a dealer in Jersey this week. But not to worry. Production will slow soon, and we'll get rid of out allotment over the summer.

I'm thinking of just going with a new Motherboard and processor for the train PC. Swmbo has been thumbing through the Tiger Direct and New Egg catalogs :rolleyes:

Not that I'm complaining,,,,who approved the lingerie ads at the top of the page........interesting!:cool:

Wow Jeffrey! never a dull day huh??

Nope. One good thing. My training and seventeen years of experience as a firefighter took over instantly and I was acting by instinct. I didn't even have to think about it.

I now have a brand new stainless steel GE microwave similar to the ones you see in convenience stores. 1100 watts with an 'intelligent' keypad. For $114 it's not bad. And it's the same exact size as the old one was.

DSCN6249.jpg

Not that I'm complaining,,,,who approved the lingerie ads at the top of the page........interesting!
cool.png

That's the nice thing about Adblock. I don't see ANY ads anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crapola Jeffrey! :eek: It's scary how these electrical fires spring up out of nowhere. I had a similar experience in my laundry room ~10 years ago. We had a custom-built water distiller in there that, for some reason, started drawing way more current than the power cord could handle; my wife hollered for me to come down because the cord was smoking. As soon as I got there she walked out, and 5 seconds later the cable burst into flames! Luckily the main switchbox was right there so I just hit the main breaker and killed power to the entire house; then I was able to fan the flames out. Needless to say I hauled that distiller to the landfill the following Saturday. To this day I've never said a word to SWMBO about the flames.

The DecoderPro-Tsunami mystery is solved: I had "Linear Curve" selected for the speed table type, rather than "User Defined".

6615_before.gif

6615_after.gif

Good evening

Jeff .... That was exciting about the kitchen fire. What is your next act?

Karl .... I finally followed your suggestion. I just sent 5 damaged decoders to NCE for replacemnt. Price was right.

Ken .... I have not yet used Decoder Pro. I'm glad you showed what you are doing. Eventually I'll try it.

We've been busy with people visiting from out of town. Hard to get stuff dine.

Cheers!

Jeff .... That was exciting about the kitchen fire. What is your next act?

What happened next would have been good for amateur comedy night. That was me moving the old microwave out and the new one in. I grabbed the old one in a bear hug and straight legged it over to the door, pushed the door handle down with my elbow and staggered down the steps and bounced off a tree. I fell to one knee and none too gently set the old microwave down. Got the new one out of the box, stripped all the packing off of it then stood it on end and carefully picked it up, took two steps and gently set it down. I repeated that all the way to the door where I lifted it into the trailer then stepped in behind it. Getting it to the cabinet was accomplished by rocking it across the floor then carefully lifting it onto the cabinet. I then turned around and tripped over my prosthetic foot, bounced off the layout and landed on my chair sitting down and facing front.

Today's activities have got me worn out. I have a doc appointment (follow-up) to go to in the morning.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010307.jpg

P1010265.jpg

DSCN6220.jpg

Back