It's Sun 2/23/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

COFFEE_REFILL.png

:cool:

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

2mfc7lu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess I'm the first customer at the new location too.

Good morning. It's 37° and sunny this morning. it will be up into the low to mid 50s again today, so snow go away. The lawn looks like it's taken a beating from being covered over a good part of the winter.......

Have a great Sunday!

Joe

Good morning, America! The place sure is nice and shiny..........makes a person feel guilty for not taking his boots off before coming inside. I wiped them off real good girls, I promise!Well, I had quite a week. Got off work Thursday and my truck died as soon as I pulled out from the parking lot. Three of my buddies pushed it back inside the contractor's gate and gave me a ride to my camper. My wife and dogs were there with me for the week and we needed groceries to eat because we didn't get them the day before and were pretty well out of everything but dog food. I called another buddy staying at a motel a few miles up the road and he said he would come and get us so we could get what we needed. While we were waiting on him, my wife got the number of the Ford dealer in Dixon and I explained our problem with my truck and asked if they had a rental or courtesy car or if they knew the number of a rental place as we had to get home Saturday morning so my wife could get all of here parent's medicines ready for the week. Life always has to have its difficulties, doesn't it? Well, Dixon Ford gave me the number of a good towing company and said that if I could get it to them fairly early in the morning, they would see what they could do. They called my cellphone before dinner and told me my truck was ready and the tow and repair were put on one bill as promised and I could pick up my pickup :) after work.Another buddy, who lives in a town 18 miles from me and who was going to get me, my wife and dogs home if needed, gave me a ride to Dixon Ford to get my truck. The folks there seemed to be genuinely pleased to have been able to help us the way they did. After thanking them, I got to the campground to find out that a water pipe had frozen and burst underground and that it couldn't be repaired until the ground thawed. That means that now I have to winterize my camper and move to a motel for the remainder of the job, which could be a month or two_On the bright side, our taxes were done so we went to pick them up after we took our oldest to the vet. The news there was good and he was fixed up in short order. My wife was scared that he might have had cancer but it was only a sebaceous cyst, which took just couple of minutes to care for.So even though things went sour on several fronts, things worked out well, due to the Big Guy Above, my wife and friends and others that I never had a chance to meet. It's true, you have to have some rain to appreciate the sunshine. Excuse me, while I look for my sunglasses.Here's wishing everyone a bright and sunny day!!!

Boy that's quite a week!

Good morning. It's 57° with 100% humidity. The high will be 72°. Clouds and rain.
condmc-1.jpg
with a
cond50.jpg

Looks like it's to be cloudy and wet today. That's OK. I didn't have any plans for outdoor activities anyway. I've yet to get the frame of the over-roof fixed. I still have to get the steel sheets and the screws I'll need to secure them. The screws have to have rubber washers. Even so I'll be putting a sealant compound under the heads of them so there's no chance of water getting in around them. Plus the screws will be going through the top of the corrugations so that's more insurance. Lots of work that's yet to be done.

DSCN1030.jpg

Good morning.
I'm off to the local RV show, and will be back home about midnight, then back tomorrow to tow all the RVs back to the shop, then prep the ones we sold for delivery. I haven't forgotten the stuff I promised to get out, if I ever have 15 minutes to box it up and slap a shipping label on it, it'll go out. Hopefully before Spring...:rolleyes:

Good Morning gang

Just a cold Diet Dew for me Flo,,,,throat is scratchy this morning. Might be from snoring, might be from running around yesterday in a t-shirt. :rolleyes:

Jeffrey, I had a yellow box FP9 die on me yesterday. it had not run in 2 years, and I decided to get it and its mate out last night for a run. Before setting the consist up, I gave both a little run. 1st unit was fine,,,the 2nd unit went about 6 feet, sounded like a coffee grinder,lost speed then died in a puff of smoke!:eek: Last time this unit ran, it was in a consist pulling a 65 car train around the club layout for most of a day, and it never complained once. Anyway,,,over to the workbench it went. The decoder had 2 melted motor drivers, and the motor would barely turn. Rummaging through my spare parts, I found a Tancan motor, still in the box with the same shaft size as the Atlas one! A quick swap, a new decoder, and she was back running within the hour!!

Remotored Atlas.jpg

Does this make me a Jr. Frankenstein??:rolleyes::confused:

NASCAR
today, Daytona 500!!!

Cya!

That was just a simple remotor. When you start making locos work with stuff they weren't designed for, say an Athearn blue box motor in an Atlas FP7 (which I've done) with Athearn shafts driving the Atlas trucks then you'll be a Frankenstein. The above listed operation is NOT for the faint of heart as there's a number of alterations that have to be made.

That was just a simple remotor. When you start making locos work with stuff they weren't designed for, say an Athearn blue box motor in an Atlas FP7 (which I've done) with Athearn shafts driving the Atlas trucks then you'll be a Frankenstein. The above listed operation is NOT for the faint of heart as there's a number of alterations that have to be made.

You mean like this?
chassis1.JPG

Scratchbuilt frame for an AHM C415 with Walthers trucks and a can motor
or
This beast.
1524699_462546403855829_646737272_n.jpg

Was a noisy, clunky brass piece. Tossed the trucks & motor, rebuilt the bolsters, added Walthers trucks , NWSL shafts, and a can. Now its smooth as silk
or
001.JPG

How do you repower a Hustler.??
Hustler outer frame, Athearn SD40 truck with the center axle removed, can motor swiped out of a CD Rom, driving the worm directly, no drive shaft!
;)
I think I got it now....:cool:

G'd afternoon all, another beautiful day here in Bluenose country. Had to open all the doors and windows yesterday to cool off the house and get some new air in here. I guess it's a touch of things to come sometime in the future, maybe global warming is real :). No way this is going to last much longer and I expect another "smartening up snow storm anytime soon" just so we don't forget where we are on this globe :)
Daughter and hubby are coming for the evening meal and I have a nice roast of moose in the slow cooker with some veggies. Well better be on my way clean up the house
Cheers
Willis

Look. We relocated to Tipton IN. Surprise. :D

Bob ... Sounds like some bad luck all at once.

Karl ... I bet the Atlas FP7 with a can motor runs well. ... Re-power a Hustler? I'll leave that to you... I like the Baldwin.

Happy Model Railroading

Didn't do much today. Tore down two disk drives for cleaning and inspection. They hadn't been used in a long time and like our locos the lube dries up, metal tarnishes or corrodes and strange things happen to solder joints. These were in good shape and only needed to be lubed a little. Next order of business was to clean up a computer case. It had a yellow mottling from age. It's only thirty years old. A bit of sanding and it looks much better.

Had rain falling off and on throughout the day and about the last thing I was going to was go outside. As it turned out I didn't even touch the door handle.

Played a couple of games of Starfleet1 to pass the time. Won them both. Finished up the last game just before I started working on this post.

That's it for today. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN1009.jpg

DSCN3236.jpg

Good Evening.

Jeffrey, those two three story buildings look familiar:). I was in to the PS2, not the Apple.......Consider the possibility, had IBM marketed OS2 to the masses instead of as a High End Server product. Would Microsoft Bill G be as rich as he is today? Would Lenovo be selling what used to be the IBM Brand??????

Talking about Climate Change, these 50 degree days are wreaking havoc, on my railroad. The Dehumidifier cannot run, as it will ice up when the room is less than 65° F. The outside temperature of 50°+ keeps my furnace off. The basement, which is below ground surface is very cold, and without the heat on gets colder and damper. The ballast cement applied to the roadbed ballast takes considerably longer to dry. It has to be below 45°, or above 65° for everything to work. And although it has gotten smaller, the glacier in my front yard is still there.....It is supposed to get colder soon, with more snow.:eek::eek::eek:!!!

Howell-20140222-00280.jpg
Anyone know who might make a Flange Greaser in HO?

Congratulations to Team Canada, for their men's Hockey Gold Medal......Hopefully the 2018 Team USA will not choke........I think I will avoid Canadian Hockey Telecasts for the rest of the season, now if I can only avoid NBC and NBCSN and their pro Canada commentators..........I hate gloating......Maybe the Devils will actually stumble into the playoffs or the "Wild card". Hope springs eternal......

PRRPro on Yahoo Groups has an interesting project dealing with PRR class B60 variants. Since I have several versions totaling 8 or so baggage cars, I'm following the project. I need two B60b baggage cars and an M70 Mail car, plus a P70 FAR coach to make up my rendition of #s 454-455; the Delmarva Express.

All things considered, it was a great Sunday. I did more ballast dragging, and added stone retaining walls, on the opposite side. Before I tear this layout down and throw it into a dumpster, It must be completed, and detailed. As I get closer to my goal, I will begin to think about the next layout, probably in a house that I do not even know about....yet. I'm on a roll, finishing projects started months ago.

Jeffrey, considering the heavy rain, if you are dry, everything is good. I know repairs are urgent, but the season may not be right.

Have a good week.

Joe

Good morning. It's 52° with 79% humidity. The high will be 62°.
cond001.gif

No plans set in stone. I'll just take whatever comes up. I may get lost while hopping galaxies in Starfleet1.

P4230172.jpg

I had a bit of an alarming experience this morning. The a/c unit came on and I noticed immediately that it sounded somewhat strange. I looked over at it and saw that it was about to fall out of the window! All that was was holding it was the thick caulking I'd put across the top when it was installed. Went out and looked at it and saw that the 2x4 that held it up had fallen over. It had been under there tight. Could've been knocked loose by the tree hit. That had made everything jump. I'm still finding stuff that was damaged by that impact. A dozen locos that were on the layout at the time were knocked over on their sides. They seem to run OK. The same can't be said for most of the locos that were in the display rack right under where the tree hit. Most of them were damaged, some were destroyed. And my nephew wonders why I don't have anything good to say to him.

Howdy ..... Joe: Sounds like a busty day with retaining wall, etc. ... ... Jeff: sorry to hear about the AC unit falling out.

Here is a shot with NP RS3 and CB&Q SD 7 at the junction. ... The cheap Plasticville tower has been repainted, and it's stairs have been replaced.

NPRS3meetsQSD7_zps4693ba78.jpg

Good evening guy's didn't have time this morning to say hello nurse came for therapy then the insurance man was here next took up the whole morning. Hope you got the AC fixed there Bear you already needing the air. Hope everyone has a good night.

Garry.....stick on retaining walls are a breeze to install, once cut to size - I just hope the stick-um continues to hold them indefinitely. I really like your tower scene.
Jeffrey..........on the bright side, the AC unit didn't fall out. You don't need another set back. The amazing strength of caulk!

I really did not do much construction today, but did make up and operate a local freight. It took about 45", actual time, to make up the train run the layout and switch four sidings, and return to the yard.

The cold is back, today's high temperature was 44°, at 2AM. It's been dropping ever since, with a brisk NW wind to make it feel colder. At least we didn't get any new snow.

Have a good evening.

Joe

Back