Coffee Shop XLI-2/23/2014

Well as I'd said about the a/c unit earlier, it was about to fall out of the window. If it had that would've been the end of it right there as it would've fallen on the crank for the trailers landing leg. The coils wouldn't have liked that at all. But I was able to rescue it in time. It's primary support is a 2x4 that stands on the trailer tongue where the gas bottle was located. The 2x4 has been wedged back into place and is supporting the load once more. This time I put some glue on the top of it so the board and the a/c unit are stuck with each other.

Nothing much happened today other than what I've already reported.

I did have a slight problem with the //e. Drive 1 on slot 7 wouldn't boot up unless I entered a boot command manually and forced it to do so. Did a full diagnostics check and nothing showed up negative. Changed out the drive card on slot 7 and now drive 1, slot 7 boots up as it's supposed to. Power-up in the morning will tell the tale. If a normal boot-up the problem is in the card. If not then I may be changing the motherboard out. That's about a half hour operation. Fifteen minutes if I push it. The issue wasn't effecting anything else and was very specific so I'm 90% certain it's the card. The replacement card as well as the cards in slots 6 and 5 are 100% operable.

Went to town today to mail off a package to some place in New York state. Also topped up the vans gas tank with ten gallons of regular.

That's it for today. Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN0988.jpg

DSCN3270.jpg

It was warm here a few days ago before the weekend got up to a scorching 60* degrees one evening around 7pm. (currently 25*). Was finally able to mount the new month (december) sticker on toyota license plate. Unscrewed the plate, brought it upstairs, heated the stack of old month stickers (with $10 industrial strength sunbeam hair dryer on high setting) to 150* degrees and they peeled off real easy. Now I can drive in the daylight again.....no fear of being pulled over by cops. That hair dryer is handy for so many uses......pre-heating the engine on my nitro RC race car before starting it.....is one of my favorites.

ID'd the problem with the //e. Power supply. I let it cool down for a couple of hours then restarted the system. Nothing wanted to work but the //e's power light was flashing rapidly. Then after a minute had elapsed things started working. Checked the power supply with a meter and sure enough it was down on amps but getting stronger as it warmed up. Yep, time to change that puppy out. Guess that explains why it was on sale NIB for $30 when I bought it a couple years ago. Changed it out and the //e is running good and strong now. No start up problems. Good thing I keep some of the non-vented power supplies around. Only the one I put in isn't non-vented anymore. I drilled a boatload of holes in it so the heat can dissipate freely.

Here is a shot with NP RS3 and CB&Q SD 7 at the junction. ... The cheap Plasticville tower has been repainted, and it's stairs have been replaced.

NPRS3meetsQSD7_zps4693ba78.jpg

Hi Garry, Are you modeling N or HO? The scene looks very interesting, I wouldn't feel bad about the Tower as a bit of paint goes a long way to changing it's appearance. How about finding a piece of Spru and making a stove pipe sticking out of the roof or maybe even an L shaped one on a side too add a bit of interest to it? I

In fact I think I have one of those too if I go through some of my old stuff.

Looking at your scene makes me realize I need to get some dirt and other ground cover down in at least a few areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning. It's overcast and 26° this morning. There is a minimal chance of snow showers this afternoon, and more of a chance tomorrow. Just another reminder that Spring is at least a month away.

Joe

Good morning. It's 55° with 85% humidity. The high will be 62°.
condmc-1.jpg
with
cond50.jpg

Looks like it might be a bit wet today.

Finally got to bed around 3am. I checked my blood sugar around 8:30p and it was it was a little high (143) but within the limits my doc set. Had a peanut butter sandwich before bed this morning. Didn't even think about touching the insulin. Checked my blood sugar at 7:30 and it was 52. WTH! If anything it should have been in the high safe range, not in the danger range. That's what the doc's can't figure. Seems like what works for others doesn't work the same for me.

No plans for today. Guess I'll just see what Murphy throws at me next.

DSCN0090.jpg

P4190139.jpg

DSCN4177.jpg

If you're wondering if spring is coming robins are a sure sign.

We've had robins in the yard since November! I don't guess the migrate to S. America like a bunch of the birds around here do. Gonna get cold tonight, supposed to rain, then turn to sleet and snow. High tomorrow just in the 30's maybe low 40's.

Gonna get cold tonight, supposed to rain, then turn to sleet and snow. High tomorrow just in the 30's maybe low 40's.

It'll be 42 here tonight with a 90% chance of showers and thunderstorms.

Been working non my mothers old IIe today, getting it cleaned up. First photo below was taken at my fathers place, the second was taken today. Nearly all the yellow mottling from oxidation is gone. It has a newly refurbished keyboard. Everything works.

DSCN5465.jpg

DSCN3274.jpg

It's even cleaned up inside.
DSCN3276.jpg

I think the last time it was this clean was the early-mid 80's.

Robins - Yay! :) We have had migrating Grakles overwhelming the bird feeder the last couple of days. The other side of the coin, is that we are now looking at very cold temperatures over the next couple of days, and..........the possibility of more significant snow fall over the weekend. Well, Mother Nature, what's it gonna be?:confused:

I'm all for more temperatures like last week.

Joe

Got a call from my sister today. She had 'an issue' with her computer. It runs Vista and everything was fine up the log-on screen. She'd put in her name and password and it would start then go right back to the log-on screen and display a message that the user profile couldn't be loaded. After messing around with it for a bit I put it in 'Safe Mode' and went to 'System Restore' and selected a point in time that the system had started correctly the restarted it. That was all it took. Now the system is working again. My payment will be dinner the next time they go out for dinner. That's good with me.

Nothing more happened today than what I've reported already. The //e is running fine since I changed out the power supply early this morning.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P4290283.jpg

Greetings from the Jersey Shore. It's overcast, and 26° this morning, and trying to snow. The talking heads are calling for minor accumulations or an inch or less. They must be tired of our weather also, they no longer hype "minor" snow fall.

Ran another local freight last night, five cars, four customers, thirty minutes. This time the Atlas "Yellow Box" S2 got the workout. I have the NCE Atlas Switcher specific decoder in it, but never took the time to program beyond a four digit road number.....Something else to do.

Just looked out the kitchen window, the first robin has arrived. usually they don't appear around here until mid-March. I'll take that as an sign of an early spring.

Joe

Back