Coffee Shop Version is 11 now open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the birthday boy today.
I'm forty-eight today. Over the hill and descending the other side.
I've been working my butt off today. First I was down at my parents place helping my father remove an enormous Lady Banks bush from an old garden plot. Took about three hours to do that and drag it over on top of the burn pile. I walked over (what can be called walking for me) to my home and heard the fire dept radio announcing a fire in Evans which is about twenty miles away. I grabbed what I needed and got in the car and didn't spare the horse power getting to the station. Once there I prepped the trucks and got them started then went out on the first one leaving the station. We were just over halfway there when we got the call from 911 to disregard. The fire was under control. From there it was back to the station and my boring life.

Happy Birthday Jeffrey :) I wish you to double those :)

My Birthday is round the corner too :) couple weeks time :)

Those are not dancing chicken, they are the audience, or the clients sitting at their table waiting for the human meal to be cooked ( in the sun ) :)

Happy (almost half a century) Birthday Jeffery ;) :p ;) Your in front of me on the tickometer of life
Have a good day :D

Morris and his wife Esther went to the county fete every year, and every year Morris would say,

'Esther, I'd like to ride in that helicopter.'

Esther always replied, 'I know Morris, but that helicopter ride is fifty quid, and fifty quid is fifty quid.'

One year Esther and Morris went to the fair, and Morris said, 'Esther, I'm 85 years old. If I don't ride that helicopter, I might never get another chance.'

To this, Esther replied, 'Morris that helicopter is fifty quid, and fifty quid is fifty quid.'

The pilot overheard the couple and said, 'Guys I'll make you a deal. I'll take the both of you for a ride. If you can stay quiet for the entire ride and not say a word, I won't charge you! But if you say one word, it's fifty quid'
Morris and Esther agreed and up they went. The pilot did all kinds of fancy manoeuvres, but not a word was heard.
He did his daredevil tricks over and over again, but still not a word.

When they landed, the pilot turned to Morris and said, 'By golly, I did everything I could to get you to yell out, but you didn't. I'm impressed!'

Morris replied, 'Well, to tell you the truth, I almost said something when Esther fell out, but ...

... you know ...
... fifty quid is fifty quid

Afternoon, everyone.

Paul, get a second opinion about your dog. Even the dog food that had problems didn't cause liver and kidney failure that rapidly. I know that vet care gets expensive but something doesn't sound right about that diagnosis. Are your cactus outside or inside? The flowers look really pretty. That's one thing I miss about not being close to the desert. That bear can chicken sure looks good.

Happy Birthday, Jeffrey! I remember when I was 48...I think. :) I thought I was really old. Sounds like you've done more work than you deserve and you need a rest. Kind of weird about those callouts though. On one hand, it's nice that the fire was under control before you got there but you still want to get there and justify all the work to get the engine rolling and pile into your turnouts.

Steve, I had no idea that any Vulcan bombers were still flying. I think the last time they were used operationally was during the Falklands War, when they made that long bomb run form Ascension Island. They were always an impressive looking airplane.

Corey, slow and steady is a good pace. I built my whole layout in less than six months and have been feeling a bit burned out lately.

Chris, maybe I can get you to come up and wash your truck. :D Had thunderstorms in the area all weekend and got about 8 drops of rain total. :mad: That's great that you got two inches worth - it at least settles the dust for now.

Ken, sounds like the kind of wedding reception I'd like to go to. Installing DCC decoders is always fun. Just when you think you've got it figured out, you find one that does thing backwards. I'm convinced the DCC decoders and those little Christmas light strings are part of a Chinese plan to drive us crazy.

Ray, I'm too late to wish you farewell but I hope you have a great time at camp.

Did nothing exciting over the weekend but I didn't blow off any body parts so that's a good thing. :) Bertha has become a category one hurricane earlier than the models forecast and looks like she's on her way to become a cat 2 by tomorrow. She's still too far out in the Atlantic to do more than guess about where she's headed. It looks like she should hit a weakness in the subtropical ridge and come under more wind shear by Wednesday. This should cause her to weaken and turn north toward Bermuda. She could still continue west and end up on the east coast so all of you there should keep an eye on Bertha over the next week. Unfortunately, no matter what happens, it means no rain for us. :(

EDIT: Steve, that was a good one. :D

Happy Birthday Jeffrey! I'm already sliding downhill myself. Glad that fire got put out before you guys had to deal with it.

Corey, I thought you owned a clothing store not a LHS...?

Paul, too bad about your having to put up with that double-whammy over the holiday weekend. Hopefully the pain meds did their job well.

Chris, good to see you're getting some of that badly needed rain in your area.

Well I finished almost all my decoder installs, the only one left is waiting for a warranty replacement from TCS. But for all practical purposes I'm done, I promised my wife I'd make the work area look presentable for her guests next Sunday.

Now it's time to connect my command station to the layout. I know I should be excited, but honestly I'm a tad apprehensive - there is some track on the center peninsula that has taken lots of abuse (cleaned by abrasives, etc.) and can never again be made surgically-clean. I've heard conflicting reports about DCC and less-than-perfect track: Some say that having a higher voltage constantly applied actually helps loco performance somewhat [sounds too good to be true] - while at the other extreme, there are those who claim that a decoder will 'go psycho' on dirty track because the commands are misinterpreted. If it's really that bad, it means I'll have to rip out all of my existing mill trackage and put in new track - I don't have the money or the time to take on a project of that magnitude!:eek:

Evening Dudes!

WEATHER
We might get it again to night the rain followed me home from work! Got's my fingers crossed:) Looking good:D

LOCAL NEWS
Tunnelling would-be burglar thwarted by homeowner
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Plane takes it on the nose, but lands OK
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

PERSONAL NOTE
We got hit hard last night with the TStorms, Wow! By the sounds outside it looks to do it again:D My truck Was clean this morning but the afternoon rains and the long drive home took care of the clean look!:mad: :rolleyes:
Paul, Wheres my Beer Can Chickin?:confused: Looks like you made enough! Wheres my Chickin? thats cold blooded showing me chicken that was mine:( Bet you drank my beer too:( LOL's J/K I do's lov's my beer can chicken though:D
Jim, You have to wash and wax your own Cars and leave them out! Thats how that trick works;) :) Yes we got tons of rain and fixin to get more I hope! You got to move to Florida Jim!:)
SteveoThose are my dancing Chickin! don't be eye balling my grub!:D LOL's That's a funny joke steve!:D
Jeff Happy 48th B day! I'm 7 behind you, thats good you'll be used as a early warning (old age)sensor for me! No old age surprises for me!:D J/King Happy B-Day Jeff hope you got great gifts!:D :D :D

edit: 5:05pm we're getting it again, LOTS OF RAIN!
6:00pm Rains done, got 1.25" in one hour! wow........
The weather guy said less of a chance tomarrow.....I'm good with that! Burtha is a cat 3!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the birthday wishes, I really appreciate it.

Kind of weird about those callouts though. On one hand, it's nice that the fire was under control before you got there but you still want to get there and justify all the work to get the engine rolling and pile into your turnouts.
Oh, you're so right! There are times that I'd love to continue on to the scene, but 10-22 is 10-22 (disregard, return to station) and must be obeyed.

Ken,
Ha! Now that I don't own a store at all, I have money again! I just don't have a house anymore either. We have a lot of money to save for the future. I'm doing landscaping for family members for cash to finance the track work. I've filled up my 'cart' three times before deleting my purchase. Some day I'll pull the trigger. I just have to finish my bench work first.

Edit: I just reread my old post. I did make it sound like I had a hobby shop! Nope, I meant that I missed having a local hobby shop to buy from. Now I have to order online which makes me want to order in bulk to save on shipping. Hmmm, maybe I should open a hobby shop?!

Jim,
I'm trying to strike a balance between making progress and hurrying. Lately I feel like I'm stalling! It's too hot out!

Jeffrey, Happy Birthday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken, that stuff about having perfect track with DCC is a bunch of malarky. Since DCC is putting 16 volts AC into the tracks instead of 12 volts CD, DCC equipped engines are actually more tolerant of less than clean track than DC locomotives. I'd recommend that you polish all the track with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Wheel Polish and then connect up the wiring. That's what I did six months ago and I've never had to clean the track since. I was down to the layout tonight and ran a six car passenger train led by two E-7's for about half an hour. Even though the line hasn't been run for about three weeks, it ran like a top. Even the lighted passenger cars barely showed a flicker. I think the polish job really helps but you'll find your trains run way better with DCC than they ever did with DC no matter what.

Chris, you mean I have to do some work out in the Alabama sun to make it rain? That's not what I had in mind. :) No rain here again today but I'm glad you got some. Bertha really spooled up today, jumping from a cat 1 to a cat 3. It still looks like it's headed off toward Bermuda but she bears watching. Those birds can put a pretty big dent in a plastic radar cover when you hit them at a couple of hundred knots. :eek:

Corey, sometimes stalling isn't bad. Gives you time to think and maybe fix some glaring errors before you start furiously laying track.

Nothing here but honey-do's and heat. Got up to a scorching 101 today and it's still 78 now. Plenty of humidity but just no rain. :(

I suppose its never too late to start posting in here.

First I will say, Happy Birthday Jeff.

Been a good day, rained (which we needed). Also did a side job thats good for some money, watched a good movie, and even thought a little about the layout/diorama that I decided to make a summer project out of. Now back to researching the industries I want to put in.

07-08-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
Buffet.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

Menu3.png
waitress3.png

Good morning.

It's 73 and somewhat clear at this time. The high is expected to be in the mid 90's and there's a fair chance of thunderstorms this afternoon and tonight.

I'm going to try to get some layout work done today though I'm still a bit stiff from yesterday.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 7/8/2008

Heat Index: 77°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 70°F

So Far Today
High: 74°F
Low: 72°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 3mph ESE

Today High: 95 Partly sunny with a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 90s. Light and variable winds.

Tonight Low: 72 Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds. Chance of precipitation 30 percent.

Good morning folks

It was a sticky 74 F on the roads this morning. High today will be 92 F with a slight chance of thunderstorms. We had one heck of a downpour yesterday. It rained hard for a little over an hour at work in King of Prussia. At one point we could barely see our parking garage which is about 100 yards from the building from the windows. At home about 19 miles away we got some rain and a short 10 minute downpour.

We had the idiots down the street setting off fireworks in the middle of the street last night. Since our street is the main cut through for the neighborhood it is busy so that did not bode well for traffic. We had traffic backed up and cars trying to avoid the fireworks and the parked cars. It did not take long before the cops showed up and stopped them. You would think these morons would learn. We go through this every 4th of July and New Years and it always ends with the cops showing up.

I worked some on the Mather stock car kit last night.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEFFREY!

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good Morning ALL ! Sunny , 87 , humid . two out of three ain't all bad. Jeffrey HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!!!Sorry about being a day late but hoping you have many, many more !!! Have a nice day all !:D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back