Coffee Shop Part VIII

Good morning folks. I hope everyone had a good Christmas, or had good day off if you don't like Christmas. Mother nature gave my house over a foot of snow while we were gone. I had to blaze a trail through the present from the snow plow, three feet of snow! My wife was trying to walk in my foot steps to the garage. Now that was funny!

I received a new camera for Christmas. It's still cheap, but it has a few manual adjustments. I can already tell it will take better pictures. I just have to learn how to adjust properly for the given situation.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Afternoon all!

Been a busy day around here! The magic phone breaking fairy was appearently hard at work over the holiday! Got stuff messed up everywhere! Got most of it under control now though. The little bit left is being worked on as I write. I'll test it in a few.

Had a great Christmas! Got to have my family over and we just hung out doing virtually nothing. In the end, everyone was happy & full! A good day!

Oh, gotta run.....later!

Hi everyone! Guess things have settled down for you by now. Flo, how long you going to keep the temp waitresses? YOU DID WHAT to them??:eek: Oh well, they didn't need all that hair anyway.
While everything went fine with our Christmas, it always seems that when you spend a pile of money on gifts, everything else wants to break. Our Bunn coffee maker bit the dust ($115), one of the toilets started leaking around the base, had to take the poodle to the Vet at $125, and one of my reversers is acting up on the layout.:(

Steve: Yeah, my wife is a nurse and worked Christmas day. She lucked out and got Christmas Eve off and that was when our family get-together was.

Jim: Maybe all your stores being closed would have something to do with you living in a small town.... you reckon! Plenty were open here in Tuscaloosa and Northport and I would bet many down the road from you in Montgomery.

Afternoon, everyone. Hope everyone had a good Christmas and is having a good Boxing Day, for those of you lucky enough to have another holiday.

Steve, unfortunately, California followed the British lead and closed most of the mental hospitals and had the patients cared for in "community based" facilities. It has been a disaster. There was many a time I was called to the Emergency Department to help the staff subdue an unruly patient. We did these poor folks no favors by reducing their treatment and putting them out in the community, which does not care for them. They often do become alcoholics and drug addicts and are responsible for a significant amount of crime. Both my stepdaughters are going to be nurses, which is a good thing, but I've explained to them that there's a big downside to nursing, including long hours, working holidays, and dealing with people that try to kill you. :(

Paul, glad you had a good holiday. It's nice to be retired and sit home while the wife and daughters are fighting the crowds at the shopping centers.

Old 97, what the heck is blind robin snack???:confused:

Sounds like Tiffany might be related to Cynthia and her travel questions....

Ray, I'll bet that sign will look great in your train room, especially coming from a 6 month old granddaughter. :)

Corey, three feet of snow? Good Lord, how did you even mange to make it into the house? I just could not take it any longer if I was still living up north. Hope the new camera does a good job for you. I'll be waiting to see some sample pics. :)

Phillip, it always seems that those gremlins get busy over holidays when you're not there and keeping them under control. But, at least they keep you employed. :D

Rex, your wife is a nurse too? That's really interesting. I once read a survey that model railroaders were overrepresented in being employed in emergency services and that they were married to healthcare professionals at a rate about three times the general population. I don't know what it all means but I find it interesting. I don't know that I would call Prattville a small town - we have 35,000 people. It's just that this town is extremely church oriented and there is a lot of pressure on merchants not to be open on religious holidays. I'm sure more stores were open in Montgomery but I took my stepdaughter to work at 11:00 last night and I think I could have slept in the middle of Main St. and not been run over until about 5 in the morning. :eek:

It's a little warmer today with a high of 51 but still cloudy. There is a faint hope that some rain may sneak through Jeffrey's rain stealing scheme but I'm not holding my breath. OTOH, I'm not digging my way through three feet of snow either so life is good. ;)

Jim:Congrats to Prattville High School for finishing No. 2 in the final High School USA Today poll.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but Prattville is still small town in their thinking. Heck, until it became a bedroom community to Monkeytown and all points on I-65, it was small in population. The downtown area shows that. At least the employers show some care in their workers feelings and let them be home with their families. Many places (areas) are too concerned that they will lose a couple of dollars.

Yes, Carolyn is a nurse. When I used to work in industry on shifts and she was on mids, we were like passing ships.

Thanks, Rex. No matter what we do, we'll never be able to make number one because of De La Salle, which has now won 150 straight games!. They haven't lost in nine years!! Prattville has won 40 straight games so we still have a bit to go to catch up. Still, we are the only Deep South high school team (including Hoover..hehe) to make it to #2. I'm also proud of Prattville because it's a good academic high school as well as having a championship football team. My daughter has gotten a great education there and will be prepared to go to any college she choses when she graduates, something that can't be said of a lot of Alabama high schools.

I agree that Prattville still has a small town mentality. It really isn't a bedroom community to Montgomery (yet) and has some very strong local institutions that exert a lot of influence. Even national chains that might be open in Montgomery or T-Town close down here for Christmas because that's what the community wants. I think that's still a nice thing as long as I don't need a quart of milk. :)

When our kids were small, Jean used to work 3-11 and I worked graves so one of us would be home with the kids. Between her overtime and mine, we would see each other about an hour a week. In retrospect, it wasn't very much fun. :(

A Blind Robin is a small fish somtimes Smelt ect. which is put into canning salt and then smoked till it is nice and dry and has all that rich flavor in it . Kinda like a fish jerky .

... I once read a survey that model railroaders were overrepresented in being employed in emergency services and that they were married to healthcare professionals at a rate about three times the general population. ...

Jim, I guess I'm part of that statistic too - my wife also is employed in the medical field, albeit part-time.

Yeah, thats the ticket.....job security!
My job security arises from the fact that (1) the University-affiliated lab I work for is always forced to change the way they do business, and no off-the-shelf software offers all the functionality they need; and (2) only U.S. citizens are allowed access to our internal network, so they can't imitate their private-sector counterparts and outsource my work to India. Of course, there are some frustrated bean counters who are lobbying to have that policy changed...:eek:

Spent most of the day decompressing from yesterday's hyper-scheduled activities. Unpacked all 10 34ft covered hoppers that will be used with my future cement plant; also used my jigsaw to carve out a new area for my slag dump, so I can gain an 8-sqft area for a town center. Sis-in-law and her family are still in town, my kids are having lots of fun with their cousins. Life is good.

Paul, you're kidding, right? Fish jerky? For breakfast? Is this stuff commonly eaten somewhere in the civilized world? :)

Ken, strange that so many of us marry women in healthcare. Maybe we figure it's insurance for treating saw cuts and soldering iron burns. :D Let's hope they never find a way to outsource your job to India. I've dealt with both civil engineers and software engineers in India on outsourced jobs and it was excruciating. I don't think anyone knows just how badly some of that work is done. At least it sounds like work on the mills continues as you prepare a new area for a slag dump. That's something that could only make a steel mill aficionado happy. :)

12-27-2007

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png

:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

BreakfastMenu.png
waitress1.png

Good Morning Bill ! Just time to say hello have to get to a wedding . Yes Jim some people actualy eat fish that is smoked. And did you ever try to resolve a technical issue with someone from that part of the world. It takes an interperator to get anything done ! Have a wonderful day all !!

It's a sad morning y'all.

Last night, about midnight, I was awakened by my daughter who came crying into our room. Between sobs she said that she was afraid something was very wrong with our Bulldog, Maggie. She wouldn't wake up. Now Maggie is very old, and so I had a feeling that the worst was probably the case, so while my wife comforted our daughter, I went downstairs to investigate. Indeed, Maggie was gone. I took care of everything, but I already miss her. That was one of the best dogs we've ever had. My son doesn't know yet. He was staying the night at a friends house, so he'll find out later today.

So, in honor of Maggie, I'd like to show off a couple of pictures and a video of her playing. I hope you all don't mind.

Maggie and my daughter playing. Click the pic to start the video. (It's not a long movie)
th_Picture019.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/5-6-079.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j319/pcarrell/Maggie.jpg

I don't want to kill the dial-up folks too much (Thank You for humoring me), so I'll leave it at that.

Mornin' Bill!

Mornin' Paul! Have fun at the wedding. My son who has a degree in Fish and Wildlife (and works in a factory running a packing machine....) smokes his own fish from time to time. Smoked trout is Mmmm, Mmmmm, Gooooooooood!

According to the weather people, we should get a couple of inches of heavy wet snow today. In fact they say that it is snowing out right now. A look out the window says..... RAIN! Even the weather map says........RAIN. Interesting. It will probably turn to ice right about the time I have to drive to the other side of the county to finish recording for Honeoye Schools tonight.

Edit: Philip, you snuck in as I was typing. So very sorry to hear that you lost your dog! Pets are so very much a part of our families and provide so much unconditional love to us. I know that Maggie was blessed to be a part of your family over the years and that she had a wonderful home! You and your family are in my prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all!
I am very sorry Philip. It is sometimes hard for us to explain the hurt when we lose one of our little friends...but it is there and it is very real.

Good morning folks. I must say, the help around this diner gives a bigger kick then the coffee!

I informed my wife of the reincarnation of my railroad. Apparently, she thought the next one would be the same size as the last. Ha HA! Her eyes popped out of her head when I told her my intentions for an around the walls. Being in sales, I had to think on my feet. I had to sell her on the idea. I told her it would be attached to the walls, up and above the furniture in the spare bedroom. She acknowledged that she understood, but I'm not sure if she approved! She knows that if I ASK to do something, she has the opportunity to object. If I TELL her what I'm going to do , then there isn't much room for negotiation. She then promptly informed me that she is going to find a new hobby. I asked her what she wanted to do. She replied, "something expensive!" I said, "whatever floats your boat!" I think things went well. I'm just waiting for her to TELL me what she wants to do. I won't have any negotiating powers!

Philip, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Anyone who has a beloved pet knows how your family feels.

Jim, Yes, three feet of snow! Being six foot two, I didn't have to much of a problem. My wife, on the other hand, is five foot three! I almost told her to wait in the car while I made a path with the snow blower. Since we're both twenty nine years old, I figured she could play in the snow as well!

I hope everyone has a good day,

Morning folks!! Flow, I'd like the good stuff breakfast with coffee,toast and jelly.
Philip, sorry for your loss.
Jim, blind robins are smoked herring strips that are about 6" long.
The local store only carries them at cristmas time in the sea food dept.
I don't know what to say other than they are deliciously smoked,salty and they go great with coffee!!!! :eek: :D
Have a great day folks!!

Afternoon all
Philip so sorry to hear about Maggie, it's sad to lose them, unless you have had pets you don't fully appreciate how big a part they play in your lives.

Afternoon, everyone.

Phillip, I'm very sorry to hear about Maggie. It sounds like slipped away peacefully to doggie heaven, which has to be a blessing. I know that she was a member of the family and this is a hard loss. My condolences to you and the family.

Not much else to say today. It's gloomy ad cold here, not much like the sunny South. Maybe we'll get some rain out of it though.

Back