Coffee Shop Part VII is now OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Philip/Ken/Ray.
Ken, nothing in the woods except tigers and lions, but our poodle keeps them away cause we never see any:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D .

Nawh, not even any black bears in this area; just the regular critters in any woods. The only thing you have to be careful about are snakes...even fall/winter on warm days (Timber and Diamondback Rattlesnakes, Copperheads, and Cottonmouths). As long as you are in the campground area there is not much to be concerned about, but it doesn't hurt to always watch where you are walking/reaching.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why, but packing up to go is easier than packing for the return. It always seems like we have more to come back when we actually have less:confused: .

Rex,
The last time Nancy and I went camping I told her that next time I was going to take a picture of the bed of the truck before we unload everthing. That way I could remember how I packed it in to start with!:D

Somehow something always ends up riding in the cab with us on the way home. :confused:

Y'all have fun and stay warm! It's actually supposed to get cool down here... we'll see.:rolleyes: Dave

Chip, good start on the web page.

Rex, there's nothing dangerous in the woods here because we've shot everything. :) Just remember to watch where you step and put your hands and those snakes will stay away.

Happy Belated Birthday, Alco. Is there a place here that lists birthdays? We should start one if there's not.

Paul, I hope you don't get much snow and your drive isn't impacted. I personally can't understand how anyone likes snow. I spend 20 years in Cleveland shoveling it out of the drive and trying to drive in that stuff, not to mention the fun times with ice and that big bus coming toward you with the brakes locked up.:eek: I like looking at it in pictures and it was nice in California when I could drive up, look how pretty it was, and then drive back down again and mow the lawn. ;)

I spent part of the day on the phone with Walthers trying to figure out why the flange squealing sound on my new GP-7 decided to turn into a series of bleeps. It seems that the decoder should reset with the magnetic read switch with the word "Reset" but mine just makes a loud noise. I've just got through with all the detailing and now they want me to send it back. I can keep the shell but I'll have to go through disassembling it all and I really don't want to. I think I'll run it for a while and see if anything else fails. I can live without one sound being right, especialy since everything else works so well. I just know I'll send it back and get one with worse problems. :mad:

Beautiful day here, high of 85. We really need some rain though.

Jim, Birthdays are listed at the bottom of the main Page for this forum under "What's Going On".

Happy Belated Birthday Alco!

I survived the public meeting and all body parts are still attached. They primarily went after the construction people and wanting them to keep the road open and get the project done as quick as possible. I'll fil in details in the morning.

Credit Card SCAM to be AWARE OF!!

Hi to all on the forum, I wasn't sure just where to post this so I figured it might get spread around from here.

This is IMPORTANT,
I just received this from a close friend, it's about a credit card scam that's going around you need to be AWARE OF !!
I also checked it out on Snopes myself and sure enough it's #11 on their list of 'Credit Card Scams'.

The Snopes link
http://www.snopes.com/ Type in 'Credit card scam' you'll see #11 reads almost word for word like the wording below !!! So take heed and under no circumstance give out any numbers to anybody that calls proclaming to be with whomever for whatever reason! Call your credit card company yourself and verify what you have been told.

or

This link should take you directly to the scam
http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-...date-range=-1&sp-x=any&sp-c=100&sp-m=1&sp-s=0

I thought you might be interested in a possible credit card scam...

Verified on snopes: http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp

The Holiday Season is just a little bit down the road and the bad guys are already trying to get free stuff by using your credit. I just received this so thought I'd forewarn you and forward it on.

* * *>

This one is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want.

Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it. This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself. One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Thursday from "Master Card".

The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by ( name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a Marketing company based in Arizona ?" When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a Fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1- 800 number listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works. The caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card." He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers." There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security Numbers' that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have you rcard. Do you have any other questions?" After you say, "No," the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 was charged to our card.

Long story short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master card directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a "Jason Richardson of Master Card" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening.

Please pass this on to all your family and friends. By informing each other, we protect each other.

Thanks David!

I've learned allot about phone scams, and I won't pay much if anything over the phone. T-mobile calls me when I pass my billing date by a day or two, asking me to pay on the phone. I tell them every time I do not trust paying someone over the phone who called me. Add to that, they charge you $5 to pay on the phone now...

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png

11-06-07

:eek:

donuts1.png
THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png

Good morning.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 11/6/2007

Wind Chill: 65°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 64°F

So Far Today
High: 65°F
Low: 61°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph NW

Today High: 68 Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain showers in the morning...then mostly sunny in the afternoon. Cooler. Highs in the upper 60s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 42 Partly cloudy. Colder. Lows in the lower 40s. Northeast winds around 10 mph.

Imag0003-5.jpg

Good morning folks

It was raining with a temperature of 51 F as I headed out this morning. The rain is supposed to stop and the high will be 54 F. Cold is predicated to move with night time temperatures in the 30’s and highs only in the 40’s for the rest of the week.

I survived the public meeting last night with all body parts still attached. It was rough meeting but I was not the center of attention or frustration. That was directed at our construction people and our traffic people. It was the old thing we want you to fix the road but do without distributing us. It is kind of hard to build a couple of miles of retaining walls along the road without tearing up and closing the road. They also want you to do all in couple of days. Unfortunately the meeting was at one point dominated by a couple of people who just seem to be mad at the government in general and used the public forum to shout over everyone and grind their axes. Once they were reminded that they needed to behave and have respect for the other people in the room the meeting went as well as can be expected. My biggest issue was the three hour drive to get to the meeting place. Coming home only took about two hours.

No modeling got done last night.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Morning all!

So hows the weather in Central Indiana you ask? Well, the much-anticipated cold air has arrived. Gotta bundle up the little ones at the bus stop (if you have um) as wind chill values will be in the mid 20's. Even by this afternoon, even though air temperatures will reach the low 40's, wind chill values will stay in the low to mid 30's as winds will reach 25 miles per hour at times. We could see a few flurries as well, especially north of Indy. And if by some miracle, you haven't had a hard freeze in your area over the last week and a half, you will get it tonight or tomorrow night. Lows will drop into the mid 20's in all locations.

Thats right folks, it's a nippy one out there!

temps.jpg

Chip, thats a great start on the page you have going. Cin't wait to see what it develops into.

David, thats a pretty slick scam. Glad you caught it! Thanks for passing it on!

So, who's done with their Christmas shopping? Who hasn't started? I'm afraid I fall into the latter catagory. How about you?

Thanks for the Bday wishes guys! I bought myself a couple of goodies. Gonna get a few more and then will share them soon. I am headed to Birmingham, Al on the 15th then to Miss...then back to FL then to NC. All that I hope to hit some LHS on the way! :)

Thanks for the Bday wishes guys! I bought myself a couple of goodies. Gonna get a few more and then will share them soon. I am headed to Birmingham, Al on the 15th then to Miss...then back to FL then to NC. All that I hope to hit some LHS on the way! :)

Alco;

Sent ya an e-mail.

Hi to all on the forum, I wasn't sure just where to post this so I figured it might get spread around from here...

Please pass this on to all your family and friends. By informing each other, we protect each other.

David;

Thanks for the link. I'll be forwarding it to the rest of my family. This really isn't an issue for me as I don't give any info out over the phone, no matter who they say they are unless I initiated the call.

David;

Thanks for the link. I'll be forwarding it to the rest of my family. This really isn't an issue for me as I don't give any info out over the phone, no matter who they say they are unless I initiated the call.

Ditto!!!

Mornin' everybody! It's a windy, chilly election day here in Geneva. Three way race going on for city dictator... err, uh, Mayor. Yup, Mayor. I will go over and cast my ballot after my Doctors appt. this afternoon. Haven't been able to even get down to the train room for three days. Hopefully I can have a couple hours to get some things done tonight.

Good Afternoon All ! Back after running around , Dropped wife off at bowling , went to hospital for more blood work it took a hour there , to post office , to bank and then to the reservation for gas . It was 298.9 wow what a deal . Lots of snow to the south of us. I have to run up to Strong Memorial Hospital To morrow so I don't know if I'm going if it's snowing on the Thruway . Oh well off to vote for local politicians so they can raise my taxes. Have a great day all Happy Birthday Alco and many more !!

Afternoon all,

Happy birthday Alco,

Tom, sounds like a mad meeting you went to, there are always noisy outspoken fools here as well.

Whooops, just bought another DCC loco

Afternoon, everyone. David, these types of scams have been showing up for at least 10 years. We used to get a report or two a week from citizens. As has been stated, never give out any credit card information on the phone unless it's to the institution that issued the card and you can verify who you are talking to. I just had a fraudulent charge on my CC and was called by the financial institution. I asked the woman for her name, department. and employee number. I then called the main number, got the fraud division, and verified she was who she said she was. Never call back a number given to you - it will be fake as well.

Tom, are you a consulting engineer on this project? It sounds like a real ball. If you think trying to build a retaining wall is bad, try building a hydroelectric dam! It takes about 10 years just get the permits but it does offer lifetime employment. :)

Jeffrey, sound like the weather in LA is about the same as here. Cooler and windy, although it's still 71 degrees now so bundling up consists of a light jacket.

Paul, take it easy tomorrow if you do get snow. Those first snows are when everyone decides to drive into a ditch.

Phillip, done with Christmas shopping? LOL. I'll be that guy you see in the store on Christmas Eve. :)

I spent part of the day putting together a BB Athearn ice reefer. I forgot how much of a pain those thing were, things to get the latches in and getting hatches positioned. I did some extra detailing, like removing the molded on grabs, and then spent about an hour filing and shaving to get the body and sides to fit together properly. Shake the box kit my eye. I did some weathering and I think the final results came out OK but it was a lot more work than I remembered.
ICReeferMedium.jpg

Tom, are you a consulting engineer on this project? It sounds like a real ball. If you think trying to build a retaining wall is bad, try building a hydroelectric dam! It takes about 10 years just get the permits but it does offer lifetime employment.

I am just a poor government worker.:D Actually I work for the DOT in the Philadelphia area. The projects we were discussing are nine locations along River Road in Bucks County that were damaged by floods in 2005. It is an old road with a lot of historical and unique character. In many stretches the Delaware Canal parallels the road. The cross section is basically cliff-road-canal-towpath-Delaware River. The job that was designed by one my squads was one site that involved replacing 1800 ft of wall that was damaged when the river breeched the towpath. Unfortunately there is not a lot of room to construct anything and closing the road was our only option. Of course the business people don’t like that and we are trying to get in fast and get done or come up with ways to keep things open as long as possible. Most people understand that but then there are those few individuals that just won’t listen and create havoc for everyone. Those are the one’s who quotes wind up in the newspapers.

Speaking of long term projects, I have a couple of bridge projects I have been working on for 14 years and there was an intersection project that I worked on and gave to someone lese when I was promoted that has been around for 23 years.:eek: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back