Coffee shop part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank You Steve,and Thank You Ken. I may not have done much today,but still had a great day none the less.Hopefully will see everyone tomorrow. Have a good night,and better day tomorrow.:) William.

William;

Thats right, I forgot that it is your Birthday. 39? Son in some circles you're already OLD!:D:D:D:p:p:p

Fergie;

Let me tell you about LB, my MM friend. Very, very colorful. He was in the MM from 1927 until he retired in 1973. He finished his career as the Chief Steward for the President and Board of the American President Lines. Man could he cook!!

Back in WWII, do you remember the story of the Convoy PT-17 (I think that was the number:confused:). That was the convoy of ships that the convoy commander ordered to scatter when they were attacked by a German Wolfpack. Anyway only about a tenth of the convoy made it to Archangel/Murmansk. All the rest of the ships were sunk.:(

LB had 4 ships torpedoed out from under him on this run. Both his legs and an arm were shattered in the last attack. He had just been pulled from a lifeboat and was standing on the deck of a small steamer, (the ships were specifically ordered not to STOP and pickup survivors, so if a ship was close, they would pass close by, throw or shoot them a line and basically, tow them up to the ship, drop a cargo net and let the men climb up to the deck), when another torpedo hit the hull where he was standing, getting wrapped up in a blanket, and it blew him over the other side of the ship, breaking his legs and arm when he hit the water. There was another lifeboat that was approaching the ship when it blew up and they pulled him out of the water. He later learned he was the only seaman to get off that ship.

He next remembers waking up in a Hospital in Archangel, and as he described it, "Those #$%^@### Russians had me wrapped up in a $%#@^& body cast, and forgot to cut me @#!%^*&+ holes so I could &*^%$^## ."
After they %^$#%##### transferred me to #$@%^& England on a&&^*% Catalina Flying boat, I had to ^&%$#^@@ spend 12 hours in a &&^%$%# tub of cold %^%$##@# water to get that $%$$#@ off of me. Got a ^&^%^ infection, got %^%$## operated on about 10 %^%$## times and spent the next %^&^%$# 9 months in %^&^%$# traction."

Like I said, "colorful" guy!:rolleyes: But the only times he wouldn't talk like that, even in normal conversation, was when his wife was in the room, or he was at the Seamans Chapel, in Mobile.

Good morning ! from Indiana. :D

Diner.png

coffee_pot.png

donuts_2.png

:eek:

Morning CJ. Truer words indeed,because there are days when I feel old.:rolleyes: In fact,after working in the rain all day today,I'll probably will.Oh well.Ihate working in rain,it makes the day really bad.:( So Flo,a cup of your best coffee please. Ya'll have a good one.William.

Mabel, cup of STRONG Joe this morning , to go. I gotta wake up somehow.
Bill- wonderfully tempting selection this morning!
William- congrats on #39! Now you can be like Jack Benny and celebrate the anniversary of you 39th birthday every year.
Thanks, Mabel.
Y'all enjoy your day!

grande man said:
Speaking of CJ, where's he been lately? If the ARG meet is still on, we'll be there and Mr May wants to ride with us. Rex, U gonna be in charge of the destruc, ur, ah, construction?

In charge? Nah! CJ is real good about walking around with his hands in his pockets so I guess he will be the man in the white hardhat. I am just going to be the board cutter...I'll cut'um and you screw'um :D

Today's Don't do this!
"When using a hobby knife, do not just casually put it down without thinking."
Yesterday, while working on the trackwork, I used my hobby knife (with new blade) and then set it down on the benchwork...continued to adjust track...and...Ouch! I felt a pain in my big toe and looked down at my foot. The source of the pain was obvious...my hobby knife was sticking straight up in my sneaker type shoe:eek: . Fortunately, it only went into my big toe about a 1/4" near the knuckel. No big deal, but it sure is SORE today!:D :D

OOPS! I almost forgot
HAPPY BIRTHDAY WILLIAM!
Your still a puppy!
May you have many more...and then you will really be old:p :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mornin' Bill!

William, now you start celebrating anniversaries...... Next fall I will have the 41st. anniversary of my 39th. birthday. Time flies when you are having fun!

CJ, Your friend must be related to my Father-in-Law! At least they both speak the same language.

Sign on Coffee Shop door: SLOW DAY SO LET EVERYONE OFF!
:confused:
Well, if that don't beat all. Hope they are open tomorrow. I guess that I'll just head to the barn and go to bed. I'll try again in the morning.

Well its open right now, But I think they replaced flow on the graveyard shift, either that of she got a GOOD makeover!

Anyways, update on the bike, looks like I have to take up the loan under my Fiance's name on Tuesday, well she'll be my wife by then but.

Cjcrescent said:
William;

Fergie;

Let me tell you about LB, my MM friend. Very, very colorful. He was in the MM from 1927 until he retired in 1973. He finished his career as the Chief Steward for the President and Board of the American President Lines. Man could he cook...

He next remembers waking up in a Hospital in Archangel, and as he described it, "Those #$%^@### Russians had me wrapped up in a $%#@^& body cast, and forgot to cut me @#!%^*&+ holes so I could &*^%$^## ."
After they %^$#%##### transferred me to #$@%^& England on a&&^*% Catalina Flying boat, I had to ^&%$#^@@ spend 12 hours in a &&^%$%# tub of cold %^%$##@# water to get that $%$$#@ off of me. Got a ^&^%^ infection, got %^%$## operated on about 10 %^%$## times and spent the next %^&^%$# 9 months in %^&^%$# traction."

Like I said, "colorful" guy!:rolleyes: But the only times he wouldn't talk like that, even in normal conversation, was when his wife was in the room, or he was at the Seamans Chapel, in Mobile.
[/SIZE]

Colourful!?!:confused: Heck that's just standard Nautical Vernacularly and if you're in Newfoundland the "F" word is one of the standards and most frequently used and in the nicest kind of way I might add. Just means I have to watch me manners when I hit the mainland again, which will be later today!:D

Yes it's been a hectic but brief stint and I've packed my refinished Coaling tower away and hopefully it will survive the flight:(

Fergie

Fergie- your slogan:
If you could roll back the hands of time, You'd be standing on the platform, waiting for the next train into the future.

Fun Fare 5/11 is dedicated to you!;)
Mikey

Mornin' Bill!

Yesterday was certinly a slow day. But then if I can get down stairs every day is a S. L. O. & W day........ The place musta closed just after I finished the last donut?

Fergie, hope that refurb Coaling Tower got packed well. I know a guy (well known Catholic composer, singer, the guy who first brought the guitar into the Catholic Church) who had his guitar fall off the cart when they unloaded the plane and it was run over by the tractor. He took it in stride..... It was not a pretty sight! The guitar still worked and made it through the gig we did at the church where I was Organist/Choirmaster at the time.

GOOD MORNING Coffee Shop dwellers!
Glad to see you all here and things kicking off to a good day. Our rain has moved on and today we have sunshine and very low humidity of 51%. To those of you at work-work: I will have a cup for you, hehehehe!

Yesterday, I started building the Walthers kit, "City Station". Fellows, this is a nice kit. Lots of parts and so far seems well designed. Of course it has the usual Walthers "Oops", but with an alert modeler this can be caught easily. I hope to finish the assembly some time today and then start the "light" weathering.

To the Alabama Rail Gang (ARG): See you Saturday morning at CJ's with my sledge hammer in hand:eek: :D

CUL today.

Rex
my hobby knife was sticking straight up in my sneaker type shoe . Fortunately, it only went into my big toe about a 1/4" near the knuckel. No big deal, but it sure is SORE today!

Whooops, you didn't want to do that, your not the first and you won't be the last

Fergie Fancy a Dogs Nose

We had the asphalt floor put down today, bit of a smokey job it was but it's the end of the nasty concrete floor at last

Good evening crew, just a quick drive-by:

Fergie - I echo the others, wishing you luck with transpoting that coaling tower. I stopped bringing kits with me to assemble on out-of-town trips where air travel was involved, due to the gorilla factor.

Steve - Good news on that asphalt floor, hope you get a chance to resume building the new layout soon!

Rex - I've seen that City Station and it is a beauty, almost makes me want to move my modeling era back 50 years so i could do some major passenger ops! Then again, with my steel mill I wouldn't have any space to support it. BTW, I think Wally World has a good supply of dart boards in stock...!:D

Well I can't stay too long, need to get out to that trainroom and finish installing those edge barriers, that's been my POTW [Project Of The Week]. Nothing glamourous, but increases my peace of mind.

Sayonara!

Morning Coffee Shop crew,also Morning to Miss Flo and her crew. Just stopin' by to say howdy,and to say I hope you have a good day. Mikey,Rex,Eric,I hope you guys are ready to work,because this ARG is going to happen.Glenn,also looking forward to seeing you also,it is going to be fun.Well,hate to go,but alas,alack,I hear the dreaded whistle:( .So ya'll have a good day,and a better one tomorrow.:).William.

Hope your all having a great day, it's a nice cool 70f in the shade here today, i have sent the wife out to buy a sink, apparentley my colour co-ordination is rubbish and i would only pick one that won't match, oh well,,,i'll just sit here in the sun working up a sweat

Well i hit the 100 post's mark

What's everyone drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back