Coffee shop one-three

Status
Not open for further replies.

And to be honest, Oklahoma scares the crap out of me. I don't know if they are that good or if Missouri is that bad.

Go Gators
Dave

Dave;

I haven't been on here much for several months, glad to hear from you! I really enjoyed the pics of your layout BTW. I didn't even know you had moved!:)

Been watching the college bowl special on ESPN tonight, and they said that the Big 12 teams have scored so many points in their games this year because they haven't faced any defenses like you find in the SEC!:D They said that given Oklahoma's record the past few years playing teams with strong defenses in bowl games, they think that OK may extend their recent bowl record to 0-5!:D Even Boise State beat them when Boise supposedly had no chance.

As to the AL-FL game, they also said it was the best football game they witnessed by far for this season if not for several of the past seasons. I'm reasonably sure that, based on their analysis, OK will be lucky to score 1/2 the points they normally score when playing other Big 12 teams.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex, Florida beat the spread. In the fourth quarter, it was Florida with 130 yards of offense and Alabama with 1 yard. To quote Coach Saban "We kind of ran out of gas in the fourth quarter a little bit...". As much as I like the Tide, they have to play four quarters of football. Three or even three and half does not get you to a national championship. Maybe next year but Florida was the better team in a four quarter football game. I agree with you about Tebow. He's one of the best college QB's I've ever seen. He reminds of Steve Young at his best. Now, for some bizarre reason, we have to play Utah in the Sugar Bowl when it should be Texas. This whole BCS thing baffles me.

Jeffrey, thanks for the reminder. I just remembered it earlier this evening as I looked at my calender. "At Dawn We Slept" would have been good reading for the people who were supposedly in charge of our defense on 9/11 too.

Ken, that's neat that you at least got to meet Dr. Prang. I think his books are some of the best researched military history I've ever read.

CJ. hope the stress test goes OK for you. Nothing worse than having to come down and then back up on meds. Sounds like you are a military history buff too.

Rex, interesting information about the "Tora, tora, tora" thing. I've always wondered exactly what it meant and why it was used.

Phillip, I just got done teaching eight weeks on Ezekiel. My head still hurts. :)

It's a little warmer tonight at 36 compared to 32 last night at this time. It should start to warm up nicely tomorrow as we get a good southerly flow going ahead what looks like a very strong and well organized cold front due here Tuesday night into Wednesday afternoon. All of us down here need to keep an ear out for the weather radio since this one is carrying some pretty significant severe storm potential.

CJ. ...Sounds like you are a military history buff too.

Didn't use to be! My dad got me into it, telling stories about his service in North Africa in WWII. It started with just his stories, then to finding official accounts of his service. After that it just grew. I think, (haven't counted them), that I have almost 50 books on WWII, not counting the complete Time/Life collection I have on WWII.

I wanted to try to get two more books from a friend before he passed from prostate cancer. He was an ex-Marine who lived in Pensacola, and was a model railroader himself. He had two hard bound books, labled as "Official USMC Monographs", of Tarawa and Iwo Jima. Both had pics of each battle that have never been published anywhere else that I can find. These were like Prange's books. They gave you a day by day, minute by minute account, of both battles, complete with maps and photos to illustrate. He let me borrow them and read them. Absolutely riveting reading!

Wish I could borrow them again.

12-08-2008

Good Morning from Tipton IN ! :D

TIPTONDEPOT.png
:eek:
SteakEggs.png

THECOFFEESHOP.png
3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.png
Diner.png

menu_breakfast_1.png
waitress.png

:cool:

Good morning folks. No opinion here about football, so I'll stay out of that portion of the conversation. Living in Minnesota, we don't talk about college football very often! Hockey yes, football no.

I've started to clean the layout of random track laying pieces. I can't believe how many little pieces of cork, ties, solder there are over the bench work. I'm trying to figure out how to shape the foam in order to maximize the coverage of foam. I'm hesitant to start carving until I have most of the area clean of other debris. That way I can carve the whole thing and just make one huge mess. I may need to lock the cats in a bedroom while I do that. No need to have a blue foam covered cat!

I hope everyone has a great day. My days are a little more hectic with the addition of Christmas shoppers. Not that I'm going to complain!

Good morning.

It's 42 and partly cloudy. The high should be in the mid 60's and it will still be partly cloudy.

Didn't do much yesterday. I repainted my old Walther's Midtown Consolidators shipping building. It is now white brick with green window frames and has a couple of 'broken' windows. I also moved a colonial style house from the spot it has occupied for the last 6 years and placed a small Cape Cod style house there. It looks better in the small space. The colonial has been relocated to the larger spot the Cape Cod was moved from. I also applied L&A decals to some rolling stock and one of my 250 ton cranes as well as a truck trailer.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 12/8/2008

Wind Chill: 39°F
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 38°F

So Far Today
High: 43°F
Low: 41°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 7mph SSE

Today High: 68 Partly cloudy. Highs in the upper 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Warmer. Lows in the mid 60s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

P1010547-1.jpg

Good morning folks

It was a cold 19 F as I headed out this morning. High today will be 34 F.

We got the Christmas tree this weekend. We have it about 90% decorated. We also did some Christmas shopping.

I cleaned up the workbench and got things ready for the next project. I just need to choose what it is.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Afternoon all
Rex I'll be with ya in spirit at the Sugar Bowl ;)

This is doing my fruit in,
the paper currency system we grew up with continues to fall like a lead ball, i think Christmas will be the final nail in the coffin as far as the growing credit card debt goes,,, so i intend to sit back, relax and enjoy the ride while laughing in the face of debt, ha ha ha.

ROLL TIDE

Good Weekend

Hey Guys,

Had a great weekend at the Oklahoma City train show. They had a record attendance Saturday of over 12,000! Lots of folks brought the little ones out to try to win the thirty-some-odd train sets being given away. Sunday was slower, but still good attendance. I did pickup a nice little BLI Stealth SW-7 lettered for Frisco and a neat little 75 ton short flat car craftsman kit.

Jeffery, the white brick and green trim looks very good.

Corey, looking forward to another trip back to Mankato..........next spring.......or summer....or whenever it warms back up!

Now, as for football. I know that the Sooners don't have a great bowl record for the last few years, but I think Florida had better have their game faces on tight come January! No predictions, no bets, but it should be a good game.

Well, back to work,
Bob

Hey Rex,
Thought I would look for you in here... since I didn't get an email from you after the game.:D
Well, it was a great game and someone had to lose.(just glad it wasn't the Gators!) I was on the edge of my seat the entire game. I didn't relax until the last minute of the game.

Maybe we'll have a rematch next December.

And to be honest, Oklahoma scares the crap out of me. I don't know if they are that good or if Missouri is that bad.

Go Gators
Dave
Hi DAVE!
I sent you an email and I keep getting "Delivery to the following recipients is still underway after 32.8 hour(s)" I used your new address, but guess I need to try again. (Could have been a glitch eating a gremlin.) Yes, that was one heck of a game to watch. You just didn't know which way things would go until that 24-20 touchdown. Unfortunately for us, the clock was about gone.

Rex, Florida beat the spread. In the fourth quarter, it was Florida with 130 yards of offense and Alabama with 1 yard. To quote Coach Saban "We kind of ran out of gas in the fourth quarter a little bit...". As much as I like the Tide, they have to play four quarters of football. Three or even three and half does not get you to a national championship.
Jim, no one is disputing that Florida was the stronger team in the end. However, you are still looking at 1 quarter of ballplay and the score to make the call that it wasn't a close game. The stats and most everyone watching the game will disagree, including sports announcers, writers and coaches. Yes, Alabama "ran out of gas" in the forth, but this time they did not quit playing as you have implied. Every article written says the turn in the game came with the 15 yard face mask penalty in the forth on our 28 yard line.

You say Florida beat the spread?? Anyhow, lets look at some "not-so-close" statistics:
First to mention: Bama's Coffee=112yards and Julio Jones=124yards
Florida outscored Bama 2 quarters______Bama outscored Florida 2 quarters.
Florida Total yards: 358________Bama Total yards: 323
Florida 1st downs: 19__________Bama 1st downs: 18
Florida 3d down conversion: ~50%_____Bama 3d down conversion ~50%

I agree that it is a bummer about Texas not facing Alabama in the Sugar, but the BCS only setups the #1 and #2 teams. The other BCS bowls are supposedly setup to be the best match. BUT! Then you have the crap about the conference champion (or in our case, runner-up) obligated to play in their bowl. The Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, etc. all have this. Most would love to see 1 and 2, 3 and 4, matchups.

Oh well, it is over and I have splattered the thread too much with this stuff. Back to other gossip.

Just a quick stop to say Congratulations to the University of Buffalo "Bulls" for their big win over Ball State last Friday and their acceptance into the International Bowl . The last time they were given a birth to a bowl game was in the early sixtes so a well deserved hats off to them !!!!!!! All so has anynone heard from rhoward? just wondering where he has been .

Hello Paul how's things at your end.
Rex Interesting reading mate, it tends to baffle me a bit, the rule's of play that is, i have the basics but thats it, ha ha.

Afternoon, everyone.

Rex, I didn't get to see the game since they weren't broadcasting it in Birmingham. :mad: No dispute that Alabama was a worthy opponent for Florida. As one commentator said, we just needed a game that was 10 minutes shorter or ten minutes longer. :) They'll be back next year and I think Alabama will be the team to beat for the BCS. We were just that close this year. At least you didn't have to freeze your butt off watching a really bad game like I did. I'm glad Prattville won but we lost the game about four times and won by pure luck due to one bad field goal. I'd almost rather watch a team that's playing well lose than one that's playing sloppy win.

Steve, that's OK, we don't get English football either. :D

Paul, Ray posted some pictures of what he's been up to in another thread and it looks like he's too busy to make to the coffee shop. Probably afraid that Chris will try to stick him with the bill. That wasy quite a game that the UB Bulls played against Ball State. Ball State was the up and coming team and didn't expect to get knocked of by Buffalo.

Bob, I sure wish I had a nice train show to go to. I don't know why Alabama is always left over the list when it comes to train shows. :(

Jeffrey, I like that repaint job. Looks more "industrial" for some reason.

Corey, there's aways an amazing amount of junk left over when you're building a layout. The worst part is that you tend end up saving it in case you need it someday. Take my advice, someday never comes. Chuck it now or it will sit there staring at you for years. :D

CJ, that does sound like a great pair of books. Too bad you couldn't get to keep them. I was able to locate the ship's log from my dad's PT boat that covered two years of daily entries.You get a whole different picture of war when it's being written by guys who are actually going through it each day.

It was warmer today with a high of 64 with the wind shifting to the south. We are starting get high clouds ahead of the approaching storm. It looks like the greatest chance of severe weather will be tomorrow night, which should help limit supercell development. Still should be an interesting night.

WHAT"S UP!:D

Well, our winter weather is in full swing here! almost every 5th day we get morning temps in the mid to high 20's and afternoon temps in the upper 60's to upper 70's!:eek: This morning was 27* with light frost and this afternoon it warmed up to 78* and you say, Flu weather:rolleyes:.... but normaly the morning temps have been in the 50's and after noons in the 70's.

At work my park had the most people for a one day event in a long time! this past Satuday we had 1000-1500 Cyclist'\/Runners not counting their families our park was the start and finish of a POWERMAN Run-Bike-Run event!:eek: I seen things left in the bathrooms and around the sight that will haunt my dream forever:eek::eek::eek: Some People in general are PIGS! I wish people would learn to make mid CRAP flushs! Heck we had people crapping around every along Railroad Ave!:eek::mad: Man that's sick! O' well!

STEVE, I owe, I owe, I owe so off to the Bankruptcy Court I go!:D Happens to the best of us;)

Jim, Ray I afraid of the bill;)

Hi crew,

I see the smoke still hasn't quite settled from the Fla-Bama game. I predicted we'd be hearing from Gator Dave, and my hunch was correct! And Paul, congrats to the Bulls - may they always play that good!

Jim - I never actually got to meet Dr. Prange, I was in a huge class with ~200 people and we all sat in an auditorium for his lectures. I usually wasn't very close to the front row.

This has not been a very pleasant day for me. I've been rattling my brain trying to get a critical reporting application to work properly, the data it reads is very abstract so it's tough to tell a dumb machine how to get the numbers right. At least when I get home I can continue on my latest scratchbuilding adventure - my own homegrown version of Walthers' Medusa Cement facility. It's about 80% done.

Chris: Don't make me send down some real winter weather.

Got a good inch at least yesterday. And last time I was outside like 2 hours ago, there was another inch. Rumor has it there is going to be a snowstorm tonight.

Chris: Don't make me send down some real winter weather.

Got a good inch at least yesterday. And last time I was outside like 2 hours ago, there was another inch. Rumor has it there is going to be a snowstorm tonight.

If you move down here and live here or 30 years in moist hot weather 9 months out of the year, let your blood thin....then tell me that it ain't cold;):D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back