Coffee Shop Number 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'll just go with the flow and try to figure out what to do when I have the knowledge to make a good decision. I've already bought up the idea of making a tour of North American railroad museums but that was shot down in short order. :rolleyes:
Jim,. Jim, Jim... You're going about it the wrong way. You need to find malls and tourist attractions near the railroad museums you want to go to, and drop the wife off on your way. The wife goes shopping, you get to see trains, everybody's happy.

Evening, everyone.

Corey, Happy Birthday! I hope you have a good one and survive prom weekend again.

Chris, one of the dangers of working for the government is that nitwits get elected and then make dumb spending decisions. We went though this same thing in 2002, when Homeland Security gave grants to hire 10 more deputies. That was fine except it only paid for their salary for one year. The county paid to put them through the nine month academy, had them out on the streets for three months, and had to lay them all off because the county had no money to pay for 10 more deputies. You'd think someone would have seen that coming. At the same time, we got 20 new patrol cars and the department spent almost $5,000 each equiping them with those neato LED lightbars and all kinds of flashy blinky lights all over the vehicles. If we had just transfered the light bars from the old cars we could have kept two of those deputies on for another year. I'm sure it all made sense to someone.

Jeffrey, you are much more diligent about layout maintenance than me. The dust bunnies are starting accumulate. Makes downtown look like it has tumbleweeds. :) I never had a problem with spiders taking up residence in any of the rolling stock yet. I'll remember your gas chamber trick if I do.

Bob, why is that something is just fine on scaled out drawings but never seems to work in real life? I've got to get my stuff boxed up and sent off to you. If I get the vacation thing resolved tomorrow, maybe I'll have time Saturday to get eveything in and get down to the post office. I'm not sure if what's happening in DC is politics, economcs or both. We just lost $16 billion to Chrysler and they still went into bankruptcy. On top of that, Obama claimed victory and gave them another $8 billion! The clownface guy that runs that outfit says their first priority for the "New Chrysler" is start making the Fiat 500. This is what it looks like - want to be first one in line to get one? :rolleyes:

112_0707_01z+fiat_500+front_profile.jpg

Chris, I actually looked at going to Disneyworld. Not a vacant hotel room within 60 miles. Apparently lots of people who were going to Mexico are going to Disneyworld.

BOC, Biden really did stick his foot in it this time. That's why they try to keep him away from the press - he can't control his mouth.

Terry, I might be able to work that trick if I wasn't taking a 19 and 21 year old daughter along. My wife can shop for eight hours straight but the girls want a beach with hot guys. It's hard to keep everyone happy here. ;)

Well, it looks like we might be able to change our tickets over to the Bahamas at midnight CST, when Delta slides their window over to May 17th. It's only going to cost me an additional $1500 for the tickets. :eek: I then have to change my travel insurance, which is some big deal problem because we are going to a different destination. If all that works out, I then have to hope that the swine flu stays away and the tropics stay quiet. Geez, what a lot of work for a vacation.

You know Jim it might be better to skip the beaches then :p

I have a final tomorrow afternoon.

Feels great to be getting done with some of my classes. Couple more weeks till I am done till fall. Just have to find a job to waste my time this summer. Maybe I will finally pick up some paint so I can finish a couple of projects

Well, got ever't'in' together and all dat dere. I'm going off a little earlier to see whether I can sort of dodge our rain this morning----still dribbling but at least not pouring like it was earlier.

Jim Looking at that little thing--Fiat 500--I'm not too sure I'd be driving THAT one on the 401/2/3 or any of the 400 series highways. I'd get blown around like a dead leaf by all the dang trucks up here!! On top of all that, the question would be---can Chrysler build something without it becoming a servicing nightmare? Have those people learned about QC yet?:eek::eek::confused: Hope you solve the vacation issue soon---:confused::):)

All of you---have a good weekend---see you on Monday---:D:D:D

Jim,. Jim, Jim... You're going about it the wrong way. You need to find malls and tourist attractions near the railroad museums you want to go to, and drop the wife off on your way. The wife goes shopping, you get to see trains, everybody's happy.

THAT NEVER WORK"S!:eek: Good God terry, Wife+Mall+your Credit Card+your not around to moniter her shopping= You fileing chapter 7!

Evening, everyone.

Chris, I actually looked at going to Disneyworld. Not a vacant hotel room within 60 miles. Apparently lots of people who were going to Mexico are going to Disneyworld.

Jim I have 4 hotels with vacant rooms in my area 90 min. ride to dizzy world and 60 min. to Bush Gardens and right across the street from Weeki wachee and few nice beachs 5 min's away! and you should be able to get rooms cheap! Also Tons of shopping!

Jim My wife drives a Fiat 500, it's actually a fantastic little car, more spacious than you would imagine and a very, very good runner. I prefer my Dodge Caliber though! :p

Good morning folks.

Jim, I'm glad to hear that you are figuring out your vacation. Last time you were on here , you thought it would cost an additional $3500. You just "saved" $2000! :rolleyes: Now go spend that on something! Thanks for the birthday wishes.

We have part two of a busy weekend at work. I can't wait to get out of there tonight.

I put a paint wash over my bridge piers last night. I mixed up too much, so I washed the whole river valley. It looks like a bad lands scene right now! That's okay, I just wanted to start changing the colors. I need to stop and buy a whole bunch of craft paints this weekend. It looks like all of mine have darn near dried up. I have to go back with a white wash to lighten up parts of the limestone piers later tonight. The river bottom is going to be mostly brown I've decided. That will be the most authentic looking. I'm having a hard time keeping myself from throwing ground foam all over everything. Soon enough, soon enough!

My wife is taking me out for prime rib later!

Have a great day!

Hey All...

Corey...Happy Birthday!! I hope the prom rush goes smoothly. :)

Jim..."If God took a vacation, it would be in Colorado."
(Bob Green Chicago Sun Times) The mountains are clear...Spring flowers are in full bloom...Loveland and A Basin are still open and EVERYONE knows that Spring skiing is the BEST~ and we will try to keep the Boulderites...contained! Come on up! :D

Chris...hang in there! Seems like you have a great attitude and that's half the battle. Well...a quarter of the battle. An eighth? ;)

Jeffrey...I hope your cellulitis is not going to cause you so much grief this time. Did they catch it pretty early? Is there anything you can do to speed up the healing process? Feel better!

Just heard Bloomberg railing against Biden's suggestion that folks avoid the subway. Poor Mayor B!! First AF One buzzes Manhattan..now this. What's next?? :rolleyes:

This flu scare is beginning to remind me of "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston. ...and here I am with absolutely NO good recipes for Soylent Green! :p

Have a terrific, flu free weekend!

Sandy

The clownface guy that runs that outfit says their first priority for the "New Chrysler" is start making the Fiat 500. This is what it looks like - want to be first one in line to get one? :rolleyes:
NO!

I remember the tiny Fiat 127's that were running all over the last time I was in Germany. They were death traps! The Spanish-built 4x4 version, the Seat, wasn't any better. It could just go into many other places because of it's 4 wheel drive. The Fiat 500 is even smaller and more cramped than the tiny Fiat Panda.

Good morning.

It's 72 and quite wet here. The high should be around the mid 80's and it will be partly cloudy.

The doctors appointment went OK yesterday. The cellulitis that had been bugging my right leg has filed a change of address and is now residing in my left leg. As a result I'm back on the antibiotics. I hope they do the job this time. No layout work yesterday as I was preoccupied with other matters. Today I'll be busy paying bills.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 5/1/2009

Heat Index: 78°F
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 70°F

So Far Today
High: 73°F
Low: 71°F
Rain: 0.00"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 8mph S

Today High: 85 Partly cloudy with isolated showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 80s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Tonight Low: 68 Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 60s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P5010294.jpg

G'morning gang!

Corey, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Bob Of course the castings were unbroken. When they are packed in between bags of ground foam! ;) If you need more wall castings, let me know. I have the mold!

can Chrysler build something without it becoming a servicing nightmare? Have those people learned about QC yet?:eek::eek::confused:
Are you kidding? Chrysler and Fiat together? Kinda like Benny Hill & Phyllis Diller gettin hitched!:eek: That Fiat 500 looks awful! Now picture it with 19 inch rims and a big Chrysler 300 style grill! Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!:eek: This is the future kids!
Personally, I still think we should have told Ioccoca NO years ago and let the company go under. Yes it would have hurt, but also maybe the other 2 companies may have wised up!

Jeffrey Remember the Fiats we had here in the 70's ?? The 128, the Spyder, the x19? Most of them rusted out before you could get them home. When they stopped selling them, the Lincoln-Mercury dealership in town actually gave the last one away, free with the purchase of a Town Car!

And just when you thought the junkpile couldn't get bigger, rumor has it the GM will spin off Saturn to Renault. OMG! :eek: The return of LeCar ???

Jim Your right, too much work for vacation!!! Good luck!:D

I had a Fiat 128 Sport Spyder and a friend had a 124. Good looking little cars......EVIL HANDLING, but good looking!

Happy Friday everybody

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Corey!

Bob - Glad you found the silos useful. I consider Home Depot and Lowes to be gold mines of scratchbuilding raw material. Every time I walk past the Plumbing department, I start imagining all the various structures I could build using their PVC!

Jim - glad you found a less-painful way to salvage the family vacation

Jeff - bummer about the celulitis, take care of yourself man

Chris - good to see you back in here for a change. Hope everything works out OK with the job

The office is an absolute zoo today, I've been operatiing in 'crisis' mode ever since I walked in this morning. Glad every workday isn't like this.

I finally got the last two buildings for my business district finished. Now I can de-clutter the layout and start running trains again, yee-haw! (BTW Jim - I posted the pix in WPF)

Hafta run, need to have some new software deployed by 1:00pm

Last edited by a moderator:
TGIF
The Central Indiana Division of the NMRA is having a layout tour tomorrow and since I am not working I will be able to partake in the tour yeeeeee---hhhhaaaawwww!!!!!! It has been over 3 years since I was able to do anything modeling related on any given Sat. Maybe this will get me motivated to work on my layout. It has been sitting here waiting for me to attack it for over 3 1/2 years.

Last edited:
Fiat???:confused: I didn't know Fiat was a car, silly me I thought it was a feriner word for a BM:confused::rolleyes: Silly me, Fiat is a car!:eek:

Afternoon, everyone.

Dan, if I'm going on vacation, I at least want to be able to snorkel and look at the fishies. :) Good luck on your final.

BOC, I wonder what all the police departments that bought Dodge Chargers are going to do? Warranty service and the coming collapse of the Chrysler dealer network are going to be big problems.

Josh, I can't get to that web site without a password.

Chris, you're probably right about the dangers of unsupervised shopping. I can see that draining my bank account in short order. :eek: We've really thought about Florida but none of the women have ever been to the tropics so that's why we're going to the Bahamas. Florida would have been fine with me but you've got to keep the women happy.

George, I've read the Motor Trend reviews about the Fiat 500 and it doesn't sound like a bad little car - for Europe. I don't think I'd like to try to pack four of us and luggage in it and then drive the 500 or so miles a day that's normal for a trip over here. I think that's where Obama is getting this wrong. There's nothing wrong with a car like the Fiat 500 for some people but it's certainly not going to be the salvation of Chrysler. That's the problem with the government running a car company.

Corey, it now looks like $1500 more for the airfare and $2000 for the resort so that's a total of $3500. :( Think of how many P2K or Atlas Gold engines I could buy for that. Dang! Got to keep the women happy though. :) Half my paint has dried up too so I'll have to buy a bunch more for the church model. I wonder if I can stick it in the freezer to keep it from drying out so fast? I've tried just about every other trick.

Sandy, no beaches in Colorado but this is a nice time of year to be there since the blizzard season is hopefully over. That Air Force One flight over NYC is another weird thing that's happened lately. Who, in their right mind, could have though that was a good idea, especially on a Monday morning at almost the exact time the first plane flew into the WTC? I mean, they could have done it on Sunday and not scared anyone or, even better, done it for about $20 in PhotoShop and saved the $57,000 and hour it takes to run that 747. It's almost like it was a test to see how fast people in Manhattan would panic. The CDC is now finally admitting that maybe this flu will be "mild" after all. Good work after causing worldwide hysteria.

Jeffrey, I remember the Yugo's I rode around in Slovenia. Another fine Fiat engineered product. The ones that got to the USA were the "deluxe" version, which had cardboard door panel inserts rather than the bare metal doors of the Slovenian versions. It's hard to shake that image when I hear about a Fiat. I hope the antibiotics stop your wandering cellulitis.

Karl and Phillip, I had a friend with a Fiat 128 Spyder. It was a nice looking car but it was the only car I ever knew that was more unreliable than my MGB, and that's saying something. I suspect that Saturn will just be sailing off into the sunset. Unless both the French and US governments give Renault a loan, they will be lucky to avoid Chrysler's fate. I had forgotten about the Le Car and what a smashing success that was. :rolleyes:

Ken, I haven't been to the WPF yet but I'll scoot over there when I'm done here and check out the drugstore. I'm sure it came out really good. I hope work has calmed down some. Vacation planning is hard enough. :D

Larry, have fun on the layout tour. We don't have any such thing down here but the ones I went to in California were always inspiring, even when I didn't have a layout.

Well, I think I have most of the vacation changes nailed down once I hear back from the travel insurance company. They are confused about the idea that it's less risky to go to the Bahamas than Mexico. The guy I talked to at Delta said they are averaging five passengers on the way to Cancun and loaded on the way back. Once they get through repatriating all the swine flu...whoops, H1N1 influenza A carriers (have to be medically PC) back to the US, they will probably suspend all flights so I guess changing everything now is for the best. Next year, we're going to Florida to visit Chris, the heck with this. :D It's partly cloudy and warm here again with a temperature of 87 but the dewpoint is only 55 degrees, which pretty much kills our chances for rain again. April started out good but we haven't had any rain in almost two weeks so everything is drying out again. There are three possible cases of the whatever flu in Alabama, all of which are already recovering just fine. That means they have to close the schools the kids attended and they are thinking of canceling all public events for the next week. Boy, and I thought the hysteria surrounding Y2K was bad!

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening, everyone.

Terry, I might be able to work that trick if I wasn't taking a 19 and 21 year old daughter along. My wife can shop for eight hours straight but the girls want a beach with hot guys. It's hard to keep everyone happy here. ;)

I think my are can do just that!:D Clearwater beach is real nice too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back