Coffee Shop Number 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning.

It's 64 and cloudy in the Sportsman's Paradise. The high should be around 80 and there's a chance for thunderstorms.

Although we had several storms blow through during the daylight hours yesterday there was no rain here. There was however plenty of wind, thunder and lightning. After 9:30pm several more storms blew in with a lot more thunder and lightning and lots of rain. It rained all night and is still raining at this time. To say that it's slightly soggy outside is an understatement and a half. The power went off several times during the night, just enough to be aggravating. As far as layout work is concerned I busied myself in cleaning up the remains of a couple of recent projects. Amazing how much of a mess can be made while working on several structures. In the good news column I got notification in the mail yesterday from Social Security that I have a stimulus check coming in May. I've already made arrangements to obtain two Atlas locomotives, an SD24 and a GE U30C. In the 'What the heck is going on here' column I just saw a shadow move across one of the windows of a lighted freight station. It would seem the place was occupied! Armed with the Bengal bug spray I lifted the structure in question to find a large water bug making itself right at home. Considering the six-legged intruder as such it was duly sprayed. Shortly I'll collect the mortal remains and dispose of it outside. Pretty bad when it's so wet out that a water bug would come in looking for a warm dry place. I'll have to post the 'NO TRESPASSING' signs.

Today's Weather for:
Sundown, LA 71446-6114 4/28/2009

Wind Chill: 64°F
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 63°F

So Far Today
High: 65°F
Low: 64°F
Rain: 0.02"
Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Gust: 32mph SE

Today High: 82 Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 80s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight Low: 65 Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the mid 60s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm18/forum-2/P4250235.jpg

Good morning---wet,wet,wet is the name of the game today--it has been pouring most of last night into this morning. We're supposed to go down to 7C this afternoon and then go to 3C tonight. With clear skies that is---;);)

Well--got call this morning from boss telling me that the meeting for today will be done tomorrow instead.:) He told me that my comments from yesterday made a few people think that it would be better to have a cool down day so's the PITA 'adults' would reconsider their position and get back to some sanity.:mad:---although boss who called--my immediate boss--doubts THESE TWO would reconsider.:mad: Which would be normal--they don't like each other---:mad::mad::confused:---and then I hear people saying---hhhmmmmph these kids today---and I look at these two---mmmm:confused::rolleyes:

So today---a honey do list appeared. Aren't these things magical?:eek::rolleyes:--I'm going to try for some trainroom cleanup as well today:):)

Jim--A friend of my sister got back from Mexico just a coupla days ago. No flu----yet. Now SHE told me that where she was no one had it but she was in a rural area---most of those people were telling her if something like a flu hit them--they'd just stay home. Period. Wait the dang thing out. But when you are in an urban area---no way do you stay home----that's for sissies!!:eek::rolleyes:---strange days indeed.
As for 'Baby'--I never had trouble bathing that tank---even when it got to 34lbs--:eek::eek: Anyone else in that family----ohno ohno:eek::eek:

Good morning folks.

I survived our busiest weekend at work. I think I'm all prommed out! We get to do it all over again for the other high school in town. I will not complain about the money though, every bit counts.

I caulked the bridge piers in place today so there's no turning back. Once the caulk sets up, I will add sculptamold around them to simulate the sediment that accumulates. Pretty soon here I may be able to secure the trestle and add the track. I'll be going roundy round before you know it! I'm still trying to decide how I want to paint the river bottom. The water is mostly brown, but what fun is that? Good thing I'm waiting for caulk to dry! It gives me a while to decide.

I think I'm going to give my car the spring once over. I just don't know if I feel like waxing it. My arms are tired just thinking about it!

Have a great day!

Hiya guys
I spent the morning diggin up a 4 inch pipe in the back yard. It carries the drainspout water from the house, under the driveway and about 8 feet into the yard before popping out of a hillside. Seems the last cloudburst we had, water was backing up near the back basement door from the downspout. I opend the drain , inserted hose and waitied. took forever for water to come out, so up the drain pipe I went with a wire snake. 6 ft in I hit a big snag. Dug up the pipe and found the Maple tree 25 ft away had invaded the pipe!:eek: Looks like it penatrated a bad joint, then went nuts inside the pipe.
Got it all cleared out now, but now I gotta go to Lowes for more pipe and a joint fitting. WHEW!
Plus that magical honey-do list appeared on me too. :eek:
I've got to dig a hole and cement in a base for her folding clothes line thingy, Plus I have to schlep 2 large baskets of clothes upstairs. Kitty seems happier today.......I turned the AC on yesterday. He's still not himself, but he's better than he was.
Jim You have a Maine Coon? I'm jealous! I had one once, great cat. Unfortunatly she was a casualty of the Divorce, ex-wife kept her, then later gave her away without telling me.:( I'll get another one soon, just not this year.
Tom Keep the faith man, someday you'le get back to the models!
BOC Before the meeting takes place, get a large mirror and place it in the meeting room. Preferably where the 2 "children" can see it easily. You would be surprised how fast an idiot will calm down when they see how rediculous they look. I know a few places that have large mirrors at the customer service or cashiers desks........same reason.
Well I'm off to Lowes......lets see if I can A) remember to get everything I wanted, or B) come home with something I didn't know I needed until I got there!!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Just made an appointment to go see the foot doc on Thursday afternoon. My right foot is swollen up quite a bit. That has me a bit concerned. It could be the Charcot condition acting up or it could be another broken bone. Worst case would be another infection firing up but it doesn't look like it.

Afternoon, everyone.

Jeffrey, it must be wet to get water bugs invading your freight station. :) I'm glad to hear you're getting rain without too much in the way of severe weather. You are apparently stealing all our rain since it's 91 degrees with 28% humidity here. I sure hope the problem with your foot turns out to be something minor.

BOC, with all the diseases you can get in Mexico, swine flu would be the least of my worries. We'll take a dose if Tamiflu before we go, which should ward off any flu that's around. My main concern is that this panic will get so out of hand that the borders will be closed and I won't have the choice of going. Cuba just announced they are suspending all flights to and from Mexico. This is really surprising since Cuba and Mexico have friendly relations. None of these kinds of steps will work to prevent the spread of the flu but people want governments to do something when panic is in the air. :mad: I hope things go better with your meeting tomorrow. I've found pepper spray is an effective way to get people back on track. :)

Corey, glad you made it through the prom season. I always dreaded it when we had the florist shop but the cash register did look nice and full afterwards. Go ahead and get those bridge piers in place. Once you've committed to the project, it will be a lot easier to see the next steps.

Karl, sounds like you've got a pretty aggressive maple tree there. One thing that seems to work is to dump some Rid-X down that drain about every three months. I've had problems with roots invading our septic leach field and the Rid-X keep the roots under control. A lot easier than digging up pipes. Our Maine Coon is a pretty cool cat. He looks kind of like a miniature bobcat. He's pretty even tempered but, being so big, he can scratch and bite you up pretty good if you're doing something he doesn't like. The vet has to gas him just to draw blood. :eek: I like your mirror idea. Sometimes it helps to see how dumb you look when you're all riled up.

Well, I guess I'd better start checking the Delta route map to see where else they go just in case. I'd like to go to the tropics somewhere but Delta's not the best airline for Caribbean coverage. I bought travel insurance for this trip but guess what? It doesn't cover borders being closed because of epidemics. :confused: The real problem is this is the only time this year both girls will be off school so we don't have any date flexibility. Dang, I hate it when things like this happen.

Hiya guys

Well I'm off to Lowes......lets see if I can A) remember to get everything I wanted, or B) come home with something I didn't know I needed until I got there!!:D

Mission accomplished!:D Pipe replaced, sod re-laid, hole dug for clothesline and cemented in, truck washed, and laundry carried up 2 flights of steps.
Shower time, my Right Guard has taken a left turn! :eek:
Cya all later!

"Spring' has curled up between me and 'pooter and I'm using hunt/peck again.

Spent the last few hours just meditating on extension and wondering about nolixes--nolixii?--and how to put the layout altogether--I might not have a giant teardown rebuild thing on my noggin' but still.:eek::confused:---I MAY get a peninsula thrown in here for good measure---heeheehee:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We have a mirror at work that I'll just 'misplace' for that purpose. THIS should be interesting--heeheehee:D:D

Jim--I remind people up here that in ONE town in Mexico, more people are killed in gunfights with drug gangs than in the swine flu---they're making more of a stink about the swine flu----but then--didn't Mexico just have an earthquake as well?-----talk about your ten plagues---:confused::eek::eek:

Evening y'all,

Nothing much interesting going on in my neck of the woods. Tuesday is the one day of the week when I leave work 3 hours early, so I had a chance to get a little bit more done on that White Tower burger stand (it won't be called 'White Tower' when I'm done with it though...;)) It was one of those 3-steps-forward, 2-steps-backward kind of days. It went together very easily - but painting the structure, and getting rid of some of the excessive Art Deco trim, both wound up consuming way more time than I anticipated. But I simply didn't want this to look exactly like the Walthers shack.

Jim, I promise I'll get some pix of the drugstore in the next few days. It's just that setting everything up for photography is quite time-consuming, and I want to get this current project done first (I'm almost there though). Bummer about this Swine Flu issue, we [here at APL] got an email from the Lab Director saying that the business routine is "unchanged for the moment, but just exercise the Family Preparedness steps" described at some external link. WHen I clicked on it, they painted a picture as grim as the Y2K hysteria, i.e., store up several weeks' worth of drinking water and be prepared to pay for everything in cash only (no debit/credit cards)....sheeesh!

Corey, you must be getting excited about finally having that trestle installed, if your like me you probably sneak in there every spare moment you can get and do a little more with it. You'll probably be spending hours doing the first test run of trains over it. But hey, relax and savor the moment!:D

Karl, hopefully there won't be any more honey dues to prevent you from getting some serious railroading done. I'm amazed you got an entire drain pipe replaced in a few hours - it took me several days to dig the trench for running the underground electric wires to my swimming pool pump.

Jeff I hope that foot condition doesn't turn out to be anything serious...

BOC - luckily in my line of work, I don't have to spend very much time in meetings, let alone organize them. That's part of the reason I stayed on a "technical" rather than "management" track for my career.

Excuse me now while I go apply some decals...

Good afternoon gentlemen.

It has been a glorious day off!

I washed and waxed my car today. I even waxed the rims this time. Boy are they shiny! I also vacuumed the interior, armor alled the dash, cleaned the windows and conditioned the leather. I couldn't believe the amount of tar on the sides. Granted, I have an off white car, so I see ALL of it but dang! I swear it runs better too!;)

I also secured the piers and put sculptamold around the bases. I should now have the correct profile for sediment build up. She's starting' to come together!

Jim, I hope the end of the world doesn't cancel your vacation!;) You are correct about seeing the next step for the bridge. I only really know what to do when it's time to do it.:)

Jeffrey, take care of those feet. You only get two! I'd hate for you to have to figure out how to make your home wheelchair friendly.:)

CSX, I am certainly excited to run a train over the trestle. I go between working too fast and not being interested at all. Sometimes I just look at it and think. It seems that I need to keep working on a daily basis. There is a lot of waiting for plaster, glue, and paint to dry. Slow and steady wins the race.

I hope you all have a good night.

Jeffrey, take care of those feet. You only get two! I'd hate for you to have to figure out how to make your home wheelchair friendly.:)
Not possible without a total rebuild! This thing was built in 1950 and they didn't have handicap access in mind back then.

The rains here have passed, for now. It was a hard pounding rain. It totally destroyed my sisters flowers.

Hi guys I am back...I have been quite busy. So many things going on plus the to many hobbies....Diving has gone full swing for me. I have been lurking a bit on here all of you have been do lots! Fantastic! I am getting ready to leave town again. I just got back from NY visiting my sis and nephews. Got to do some foaming in the area too. I will be leaving for NC for Memorial Day weekend....flyfishing for trout... :) Glad to see everyone doing well. I am waitng patiently for my "re-builds" from Jerome I am so excited about it. He is an expert on them switchers I tell ya. He is finishing up with some weathering since last contact....anticipation is building up! Ya'll have a good one!

Alco out!

Evening, everyone.

Karl, you are one fast worker to get all that done in one day. It would have taken me about a week.

BOC, there are about 100 diseases you can get by going to Mexico. The swine flu...opps, now has been renamed to the more politically correct H1N1 flu...is really the least of my worries. There was a 5.6 earthquake the other day between Mexico City and Acapulco but it did no damage, just frayed more nerves for those folks.

CJ, I've been watching for those black helicopters but I haven't seen any yet...at least not real ones. :D

Ken, I'm sure the drugstore came out really nice. I'm looking forward to the pictures. I suspect that a lot of businesses are deciding to treat this as a big potential problem because there is less downside to predicting the end of the world than saying everything will be OK and then have a real pandemic.

Corey, you're right, just a little work a day is all you need to keep moving forward. I always have about five pictures in my head for how a scene should look and over analize instead of getting started. Once I do start, I find things come together naturally and, most of the time, it doesn't look even close to what I had originally envisioned.

Jeffrey, too bad your rain was so intense. I'd take a little of it here. It was 91 today and things are starting to wilt.

Alco, I'm hoping to get a few dives in while we're in Cancun, assuming we get to actually go. The Mexican government has now announced that they are closing all the Mayan temple sites as well as almost every other business that caters to tourists. The Mayan sites are one of the prime reasons I want to go to Cancun. I have no idea why Mexico seems hellbent on destroying their economy. None of these draconian measures will do any good and the economic damage will far outweigh any public health advantage. I guess the good thing is that the dive boats won't be too crowded. :)

Good Morning!---we's be gettin' up to 15C today, with all kinds of sunshine and cool east winds. We're going to get more rain accompanied by the ever so typical T'storms. Our highs for the next few days are going to be in the 15-18C bracket.

Got that early morning meeting today--turns out one of the secretaries got to the offices REALLY early this morning to do some extra work and put the mirror into the meeting room already!:):) It is going to be most interesting to see the results thereof!:):D:D

Jim I have a friend who is in the travel business telling me that it looks more like the industry is going to be just hammered this year. What with the soft market in travel, some countries in upheaval, and some charter flights going out of business we can now slap the "Swine flu" on top---as she put it--to me: "we are going to have to toil by the sweat of our brows to keep afloat--"

-----ohno---its one of those black:eek::eek:---------have a good one people----:D:D:D

It has been a glorious day off!

What is this "day off" you speak of? Curious.......it almost seems to carry a conotation of not being yanked around by 27,000 people. Like maybe you could do what YOU wanted, when you wanted to, for a change.........I'll have to look into this............

It seems that we are in a holding pattern for rain. Rained yesterday and it is now pouring as I type this. Rain predicted for tomorrow and Friday and again late Sunday. When am I ever going to get the yards mowed. With all of this rain it is not a good time to paint the kitchen cabinets because the paint will dry to slowly or not at all although urethane is a lot different than latex. I guess I need to read the directions on the can. Glendia and I decided that we are just going to paint the drawer fronts and doors leaving the rest as they are. She picked out an off white which will be a very nice contrast to the fruitnut stain that is on them now. This is a 50/50 mixture of fruitwood and walnut stain. We had these cabinets built in 1987 when we moved the kitchen from on room to another. That was the easiest kitchen remodel I had ever done. Well I better get going and see what kind of mischief I can get into.
Good morning Phillip good to see you. You posted as I was typing this message.

Morning folks!

Yes Philip, I can do what I want all day long! It is agreed that Tuesdays are my days and I'm not to be disturbed. Of course, that means that Sundays are a complete waste of a day other than church. This is the first time in my working career that I've had two days off a week. I have to say, I REALLY like it! You should look into it. I think the day off store may be out of them though!:D

Well, the ground around the bridge piers looks great. I have noticed that the piers are not quite level and one tips a little. Too late now! It's okay, It's just the way I had set up the bridge. It humps a little in the middle.

We are spooling up for prom again this weekend. This one is about twenty five percent less people, so it should feel easy(knock on wood)!

We're looking at thunderstorms today. I knew that while I was cleaning my car yesterday. Oh well, it was a deep cleaning that only happens a few times a year.

I hope you all have a nice day.

Good morning folks

It was 55 F as I headed out onto the wet roadways this morning. High will be 61 F with more showers.

My daughter had her flute lesson last night followed by softball practice. Not much else got done.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back