Coffee Shop 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rex I am avoiding both (okay maybe I will still go Air Force after school).

Going out of state for 3 years of college, didn't seem to wise to try and model while I am.

Rex- my wife drove about 6 hours on the trip so I could get a nap on the 800 mile days.
We got out of Yellowstone Monday night as they were predicting 5 to 8 inches of snow overnight, and spent the night in Billings, Montana. We almost got blown away at Mt. Rushmore. We managed to stay ahead of the storm through Missouri and Arkansas, and got home Friday night. You know the weather we had in Alabama on Saturday.
Now, I get to do 3 weeks worth of grass and trimming for the next few days.

I'm still looking through pictures to find the caboose to post.

Hiya Gang!
Flo! Can I gets a cup of Java? Keep em comin too! The new job is nice,,,,but a little slow for my tastes.
Anyhoo, we did go to quite a few flea markets this weekend, and I found a BN Starlight electric lantern,,,,,,the price was right! 2 bucks! Hey, it even works!

Dan, dont disappear! You can still build kits in a dormroom!!:rolleyes:
Gotta run, need to get some sanding done on an Athearn Hustler cabless B-unit before bedtime. (pics to follow soon)

Attachments

• camera 5-2010 004.jpg
    camera 5-2010 004.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 154
Dan, do you mean NOS instead of N/A?

Bob

No.. N/A just means the air comes in on its own, nothing to force it in.

Although I could still do some sort of "NOS" setup if I wanted.

As for building kits in a dorm, school's dorms are pretty small, don't think my roomy would like it too much.

Mine was still dirty from the previous "dirt shower"... and the wind today blew off a 40ish LB branch from one of our trees in the backyard. Weird year so far.

We do have some strange weather here...but I do love Colorado! ;)

Rex...you're so right about the pups. Every night from 6-7 they run flat out. They play and run and drive me nuts....then they CRASH! They're like limp dishrags! Tornado coming through...wouldn't faze 'em! But I love them!

Sandy, if'n your dogs aren't enough, I've got (4)Boston Terriers that will keep you on your toes.

Dan, I've got hot rods. You don't want to put the money into one and have it be a daily driver. 6-8mpg just doesn't get it when gas is $3/gallon. And it's going to go higher. We do have a car that is a "looker". Pretty much stock with a few add-on frills. A 1993 T-Bird, turbo charged 302CI, and ground effects. It's the better half's car......and a paisley interior. Yech!!!! Looks awesome from the outside

I have almost $25,000 in the engine alone in the Willys, and over $15,000 in the engine of the "Wunderbird". And, of course if you beef up the engine, all things behind it need to be upgraded. That gets COSTLY!!! You need some deep pockets to do it right.

lraK, nice pickup. I've been collecting railroadiana for years. I've got quite a lot of old NYC, NKP, PRR, Monon, and C&O stuff. Wabash stuff, the other road I model, is a tad harder to find. I have quite a few of the old kerosene lanterns. I even have a couple of old baggage carts from NKP and C&O. Bought one at auction at a good price and paid to much for the other at an antique dealer. I've got quite a few ads, employee time cards, old stock certificates, timetables, buttons, badges, and of course pictures.

Some of my electric "lanterns" were made right here in Marion by a lamp company, long since gone. I don't have many that take batteries though.

The truck is STILL in the shop. I'm having the transfer case changed out to something a bit beefier. Even though the truck is 3/4t, I will use it to pull a 3500# boat (empty/dry weight) 400 miles one way each summer. I'm upgrading the oil and transmission coolers to help keep things operating a bit cooler. I figured now would be as good a time as any.

Bob

Morning all

Rex Yeah all doing fine, the family has grown by one, one cat that is that decided it liked it more with us than where it came from on the farm next door. it was left to them by a friend but didnt settle in, all the other cats attacked it all the time, LOl it's such a softy, the bit of it's brain that makes cats eat birds is missing, it never chases them or bothers with them at all, and it's made friends with the budgie we have LOL.
I have built a quick dogbone layout for the boys with a battlefield on one end for there army stuff, they love it

The truck is STILL in the shop. I'm having the transfer case changed out to something a bit beefier. Even though the truck is 3/4t, I will use it to pull a 3500# boat (empty/dry weight) 400 miles one way each summer. I'm upgrading the oil and transmission coolers to help keep things operating a bit cooler. I figured now would be as good a time as any.

Bob

Might as well do it right boB. It might cost more now, but its better than on the side of the highway with an overheated tranny or engine.:eek:
Remember the old Fram commercial? You can pay me now, or pay me later??

I've got a few of those old oil lanterns too. Ya know, you can burn Citronella oil in them?? Makes a nice railroady way to keep the skeeters away when were cooking out!:D (of course, I use the repro ones for that, the authentic ones stay in the train room)

Good morning. It's 58 and mostly sunny. The high will be 89 and it will be clear.

I'll be busy outside today as it looks like a good day for mowing, and I need the cash. It's only $20 but that's $20 I didn't have before plus my parent's supply the machine and the gas. All I have to bring is myself. Now, the trick to starting the old peerless tractor is to lock the brake, choke the crap out of the carb, advance the throttle all the way up and hope there's no one else in the shed when the key is turned. The reason for that is that when the first cylinder fires the second cylinder will backfire and it sounds like a shotgun blast. It also makes one heck of a cloud of black smoke that could choke a horse. It's done that for over 10 years and nobody knows why. Several times it's set fire to the dried grass clippings on the top of the deck on start up. The only cure for that is to back it out of the shed and spray down the deck with the water hose. Bad thing about that is, it has to be running to back it out which means it's already burning. Great fun! It can't be pushed because the rear axle locks when the engine is cut off. The only thing that's more fun is when it backfires on shutdown (very rare). The grass doesn't catch fire then but it sure scares the crap out of anyone close by.

I could use their new Yardman but the brake, drive and revesre on it are all foot controlled (right foot naturally) and that disagrees with my right foot. The Peerless is all hand controlled except for the initial locking of the brake to start it. After that the brake can be controlled by hand. Isn't it easy to figure out why I like using it.

DSCN0075.jpg

Bob: I should have known you knew what you were talking about, silly me.

The new car is going to be more of a longtime project, not a daily driver. I don't expect it to be very streetable nor fuel efficient. Luckily, for the numbers I want, it can be done 'cheaply', meaning around 5 grand if I buy all new parts.

I got the parent's yard mowed this morning. I then waited for the Home Health nurse to arrive to change my dressings. Afterward a technician for Suddenlink showed up at my parent's place, an hour late. His job was to get their new Suddenlink Digital Adapters working. He checked the integrity of the cable throughout the house. It's all good, so why wouldn't the adapters work? We told him about the condition of the cables in this area an dthat they had been up since the mid 80's. Sure enough that turned out to be the problem, or at least part of it. He replaced the old RG-59 cable from the main pole to the house, a stretch of around 200 feet, with RG-6 which is made to work with digital systems. He assured me that nobody in this area had this stuff yet and it gave me great pleasure to see his jaw hit the ground when I told him that I had it all through my trailer for the last three years and that I had had a tech string RG-6 from my service pole to the main line at the same time. Anyhow, the new cable was enough to enable the digital adapters to work. I got two in operation today, four more to go. I told my parents it would have been MUCH easier to just switch to Dish Network.

Evening, everyone.

Sandy, those are some cute dogs. Are they Labs? Dianna love Labs. She's constantly working on me to let her get a Lab. I told her the vet bills from the four cats are almost enough to pay off the national debt already. :) Both girls are doing fine although Amanda now has a case of the same crud as Tom. She decided the way to solve it was to get a big bowl of Wendy's chili. :eek: She's paying for that error in judgement now. I swear, there are times you would never know she's a nursing student.

Tom, that same crud is going around here. I hope you get dosed up on codeine cough syrup so you can get some sleep.

Dan, don't sell everything. Pick 10 or so pieces you really love or spent a lot of time building. Hang on to them and you'll get inspired to build a new layout when circumstances permit. That's what I did, and it only took 28 years for everything to come together.

Corey, LOL, that's the same thing the termite guy said when he was inspecting the basement. He wanted to know where my little boys were. He seemed kind of shocked when I said it was my layout. He did a good job crawling around under it, and at least there's no sign of termites eating the benchwork.

Steve, I read about silliness of the airspace closures...again. I though that Europe and the airline engine makes had already come up with a minimum level of ash for exposure, which is much higher than the small amount of ash getting to the British Isles.

Barry, being a lifetime sailor, the throught of sailing the North Atlantic in, say, January, would make me take a chance with any ash cloud, since there's at least a chance I'd survive. :D

Mikey, me (and you) are getting way too old for marathon trips like that. Nice pictures of the caboose though. I always wanted my own caboose. Maybe I can trade Dianna a caboose for a Lab. :p

Rex, the high was 92 here today, so it seemed like a normal day in May here. Looks like we should cool down for the weekend, probably the last cool down for the foreseeable future. We had 4.29 inches of rain in 12 hours down here on Sunday. Pretty impressive for a non-tropical storm. Sounds like some nice changes coming to the layout.

Karl, you and Barry sure pick up some good deals. The best I ever get is some busted Tyco tank car. :(

Bob, I used to drag race a 65 Chevelle in my younger days. Had a 327 with trips, a Hurst close ratio 4 speed, and an insane rear-end. I think it got 5 mpg with a tailwind. It would turn a a 13.5 at about 125 mph, which got me several trophies. Also got me a bunch of busted camshafts, blown radiators , and other important parts that would fall off. It soon exceeded a 20 year old's budget. :mad:

Jeffrey, you tractor starting story made me spit Pepsi right out my nose. :D BTW, you can pick up some pretty decent quad-shield RG-6 at Wallyworld for a good price. I love that Caddy emblem on your response vehicle. Much classier than a Buick. Is that a Whelan Edge strobe bar? We were starting to have trouble getting parts and strobe tubes before we switched to LED's. Only about $6,000 for a full-size unit, so time to pick up the next time your SSI check comes in. :rolleyes:

Sandy, that Minatur Wonderland layout has been on here a couple of times but it's always amazing to look at again. I was able to see it when I was in Hamburg and the scale is really overwhelming. It's really impossible to see it one day. At about $18 a ticket and 8,000 visitors a day, they do make a few bucks.

Had to take the Grand Vitara in today, since the fan belt was squealing when the A/C was on. I was afrad it was the AC clutch but it turned out to be just an overstrecthed belt and a new one fixed it right up. I'm lucky I have a good mechanic, because he could have cheated me with no problem. I took the driver's side air ven out because the door that shut it off had become detached for the crappy plastic lever. Of course, the crappy plastic lever is bron in three places, so I though I'd just put the vent back in without the door. After an hour of trying to figure how the vent hose fits back on to the vent, and the trim ring fit back on to the vent, I gave up for the day. There about 20 slots catches, and square thingies that hold it all together, with no indication of what fits where or even what side is up. I'm sure it was easy for a robot to put in but it's like a Chinese puzzle for a human. :confused:

Good Morning Everyone!

Sorry, I haven't been around much. I'm starting to get business and seem I'm getting 6 new customers every month when my ad runs!:) Man it feels good to get working again. I got e few new GOOD customers who are going crazy how I mow grass!:) It feels good to have a job that people apprecate me. My last job the public hated us and looked down on us:(:mad: Now, I get happy people that bring me brownies and pies when they stop off by the how to drop of my money!:D Well I got a big hedge trimming job to do and a quote to give out in brooksville today so again I won't be around.

I hope that by August, I can get some new equipment for us. ;)

Jeff, My Big Husqavarna has got 200 hrs on it and it's starting to smoke like an old alco going up hill pulling a long train:D I had to switch to a thicker oil to combat the heat some. The mower looks like it's going to die but sounds good just the smoke issue make it look worse than it is. ;):rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back