Coffee Shop 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris: the alarmist are already talking about the slick winding around Florida's gulf coast and hitting the keys, then up the east coast. Man, that stretches the imagination...beyond mine. ;)

Of course we are 200 miles inland, but we pay an outrageous $8.98/pound for large Gulf shrimp already.

Jim, the Gulf of Mexico's oil is a lighter crude than that of the Valdez spill. Not as light as that in the Mid East, but still light enough to float.
BTW: did you see William's post? $6.00 general public for the SER train show. That's probably all I will do and on Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input guys, we did wind up going to look at the truck and as soon as i took a look at the dash i decided it was a no. Way to many miles than i want to deal with. I feel pretty guilty about the whole situation, its just not my personality to accept something that big. Especially becuase ill have to refuse my aunts honda, its a good car but i just dont fit. I smack my head getting in and out of it, ever since i messed up my ACL and MCL my knees get sore if in it for more than half an hour, and its just to low to the ground for me. I like the idea of a 1500, but i dont see very many for sale. A buddy of my dad has toyed with the idea of selling his dodge for a cargo van but the thing has ALOT of miles on it. Granted he takes care of it but still. I dont know, part of me kindve hopes i dont get a car, i just feel bad about it. Better yet, my aunt does purchase something while the money is there, but we work out some kind of finance situation, where i can pay her back but dont have to worry about dealing with a bank or creditors or anything. Id feel alot better about the second one.

Enough about my hopes and dreams, hows everyone elses weekend going?

Thanks for the input guys, we did wind up going to look at the truck and as soon as i took a look at the dash i decided it was a no. Way to many miles than i want to deal with. I feel pretty guilty about the whole situation, its just not my personality to accept something that big. Especially becuase ill have to refuse my aunts honda, its a good car but i just dont fit. I smack my head getting in and out of it, ever since i messed up my ACL and MCL my knees get sore if in it for more than half an hour, and its just to low to the ground for me. I like the idea of a 1500, but i dont see very many for sale. A buddy of my dad has toyed with the idea of selling his dodge for a cargo van but the thing has ALOT of miles on it. Granted he takes care of it but still. I dont know, part of me kindve hopes i dont get a car, i just feel bad about it. Better yet, my aunt does purchase something while the money is there, but we work out some kind of finance situation, where i can pay her back but dont have to worry about dealing with a bank or creditors or anything. Id feel alot better about the second one.

Enough about my hopes and dreams, hows everyone elses weekend going?
Why not call this guy?
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/1717860932.html

Rex, I didn't see the post, but $6.00 for the Saturday portion of the show sounds fine to me, so I'll plan on making my way up there. This oil spill is bringing "scientists" out of the woodwork with all kinds of wacky ideas. There is zero chance that this will go anywhere beyond the Gulf. Even in the Gulf, it looks like the wind patterns for the next week, at least, will keep any heavy stuff offshore. Just to keep this in perspective, the total spill so far, assuming the estimates are right, is equal to 2.5 olympic size swimming pools. Does anyone think that dumping anything into the Gulf equal to several large swimming pools is going to have a significant effect? A petroleum geologist that was being interviewed tonight thinks the whole thing will be a non-issue in 10 days. The well head will lose more pressure each day and more seawater will enter the drill casing. At some point, this will be enough to begin to congeal the oil and slow the leak to something on the order of 100 gallons a day. This is the first thing I've heard that actually makes sense.

Matt, there are plenty of the 1500 class pickups for sale out there. You just have to be patient and get the best deal for the money. Anything newer than 2000 and that has been well-maintained, shouldn't scare you off it has 100k miles on it. The newer trucks will easily go 200k miles with regular maintenance and normal things like tire and brakes. For a 16 year old, the less money you have in for a purchase price will be money to the good to fix up small things that will crop up later. Your blue lights will still look good on a smaller truck. :)

It's actually cleared up here, although it's still 74 with a dewpoint of 70. We are still getting a stiff south wind and the barometric pressure is starting to fall, indicating our protective high pressure system is slowly moving east. This should allow storms to get going tomorrow afternoon and continue through Monday evening. I'm not overly concerned about tornadic storms but training lines of thunderstorms dropping copious amounts of rain. The precipitable water measurement is about 6 inches, which means that may be the average rainfall by Monday evening, with locations that are hit by constant thunderstorms getting as much as eight inches. Arkansas and Tennessee are really getting slammed, with more than five inches already, with another five to nine inches expected in the next 24 hours. I expect this will be one of worst non-tropical storm induced rounds of flooding in our history. I'm glad I live on a hill.

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell y'all that, while I was flat on my back, Dianna discovered termites eating the picture above her desk. :eek: They came through one hole in the drywall on an exterior wall. We had the termite guys out and it appears the infestation is minimal so far. We are lucky to have the lazy native Alabama termites, that like to eat things like cardboard, compared to the Formosan termites, that can eat you whole house in a month. Another $1100 down the drain, but I'm hoping the baiting and monitoring plan will kill off the little bastards and help find out if we have any others.

Other than a direct hit by a tornado or being run over by a train, it's hard to imagine what else can go wrong, at least for a while. :)

Matt, My truck has 175k on it and runs like a top. My 93 s10 with a 4 cylinder had a 180k and was needing to be overhauled! If you plan on making your ride a project(show) truck years and miles shouldn't be a factor cause your personalizing it to your taste! Lately Ive seen Gas Ton trucks lowered and the duellies replaced by drag slicks and the 454 customized......Hmmmmmm drag duellies..........:p:):D Or Matt your young enough to possibly pay off a 4500 done up to look like Ironhide off the Transformers movie! My son wants Side Swipe (Corvette Concept) car in the 2nd transformer Movie! Also Matt, Have you seen the Movie, "The Health Inspector" with Larry the Cable guy in it? His truck is the best! Thats #2 on my want list of vehicals!!!!:D

Terry- Thanks for taking the time to go through craiglist for me, i appreciate it. I havent used that site in awhile i think ill go take a look when im finished here. Being 14, i dont want to really get to over excited about this, theres a chance nothing will happen at all. Buffalo is almost 6.5hrs from my house, and i highly doubt my dad would consider going out there to take a look. Again i appreciate it though.

Jim- Ive been in smaller trucks like S-10s and Rangers, but then it comes back to the whole hieght thing. I do know that they make extended cab versions of those trucks. My grandfather has a ranger single cab, and that isnt very comfortable to ride around in. My poppy has an extended cab Tacoma, and surprisingly thats really comfortable to ride in. Something about that extra foot of cab makes a world of difference to sit in. My poppy pounds the snot of that little truck and its still held up really well.

Chris: the alarmist are already talking about the slick winding around Florida's gulf coast and hitting the keys, then up the east coast. Man, that stretches the imagination...beyond mine. ;)

Of course we are 200 miles inland, but we pay an outrageous $8.98/pound for large Gulf shrimp already.

Rex, my FIL is a retired Shrimper and has a small shrimp boat repair business. I myself have been shrimping more times than I care to count.......The shrimp the chinese are importing in is slowly killing the industry as it is. I stoped eating shrimp when I found out what the shrimpers do to the things to keep them fresh looking!:eek: Word of warning, Stay away from the Shrimp and scallops! If you keep eating shrimp, when you die the funeral home won't have to imbalm you!:eek: you should stay fresh for a good long time! ROFLMAO:D:p

Good Morning

I've got some news from our neighbour about some wonderful termites up here but so far they are only pestering his house. There are some termites around the Toronto ON area that love concrete apparently as well:eek::eek:----thank heavens I have not seen any here though:rolleyes:

Welp. I , knock on wood, have not felt the need for nitro yet. My ticker is actually behaving itself after that little episode of heart attack---I'm proposing to eat well, get more exercise---especially walking---did some o' 'dat this morning:eek::):) And get more into my photography stuff---

Anyhow--hoo--have a good day:):):D:D

Chris, do they use preservatives on fresh caugh shrimp to prolong the sell by date, our's can't have anything at all on them but fresh ice, when they are off, they are off

Matt, My truck has 175k on it and runs like a top. My 93 s10 with a 4 cylinder had a 180k and was needing to be overhauled! If you plan on making your ride a project(show) truck years and miles shouldn't be a factor cause your personalizing it to your taste! Lately Ive seen Gas Ton trucks lowered and the duellies replaced by drag slicks and the 454 customized......Hmmmmmm drag duellies..........:p:):D Or Matt your young enough to possibly pay off a 4500 done up to look like Ironhide off the Transformers movie! My son wants Side Swipe (Corvette Concept) car in the 2nd transformer Movie! Also Matt, Have you seen the Movie, "The Health Inspector" with Larry the Cable guy in it? His truck is the best! Thats #2 on my want list of vehicals!!!!:D

Both great movies! Larry the Cable guy in Delta Farce was pretty good too. Ironhide would be a sweet ride, but base price on a Kodiak has got to be around 40k, ever seen an International CXT? Now theres a sweet ride!. Larry the Cable guys rig in health inspector is funny, reminds me alot of the trucks i see from some of the "more country/redneck" kids from school. The way the drive in the parking lot and park will make you laugh, youd think theyre driving some kind of race car the way they try and get air over the speed bumps. Alot of them dont get parking privilidges for very long :D

I dont really plan on making my truck very flashy at all. Aftermarket rims and tires, maybe a small brush guard if i really get excited, but thats about all i would really do. Theres a couple of seniors at school who attempted to customize his S10, apparently he ran out of money. His truck bed is one color, hood a different, and his doors and quarter panels are even different colors. Oh but dont worry, you can hear his stereo from the end of the driveway, and its slammed to the ground so that it bottoms out over the speed bumps, aftermarket tires, and for all i know he might even have a bottle in it. I love high school, so many role models to follow :rolleyes:

Chris, do they use preservatives on fresh caugh shrimp to prolong the sell by date, our's can't have anything at all on them but fresh ice, when they are off, they are off

LOL, The dip they use here is formaldahide(sp?), is one of many tricks to keep the Food shrimp looking fresh! The Deep water shrimp boats stay out on the open Gulf for 3 to 4 weeks before comming in to unload......How fresh do you think the shrimp are by the time they get to your plate? I hate to see what the Chinese shrimpers use to preserve the shrimp! Live Bait shrimp are the same shrimp you eat at the table.......Best to go to the bait store and buy the Lil boogers still kicking.....kinda like lobster! A dozen live gulf shrimp fetch $4.00, they taste way better than the store bought stuff! BTW: Live Bait Shrimp Boats go out and return that night! so the shrimp survive alive and kicking!!;);)

OK another tip on sea food, "Scallops"! If you ever cleaned a fresh scallop you'll know the sizes are all diffrent and are oddly shaped......Not perrfect lil disks! They use either Shark meat or sting ray wings for making scallops!:eek:

Sadly most people order stuff at the Sea Food resurants and have no clue to what their fed!LOL I avoid sea food unless I catch it! and even then I still have my doubts;):rolleyes::(

LOL, The dip they use here is formaldahide(sp?), is one of many tricks to keep the Food shrimp looking fresh! The Deep water shrimp boats stay out on the open Gulf for 3 to 4 weeks before comming in to unload......How fresh do you think the shrimp are by the time they get to your plate? I hate to see what the Chinese shrimpers use to preserve the shrimp! Live Bait shrimp are the same shrimp you eat at the table.......Best to go to the bait store and buy the Lil boogers still kicking.....kinda like lobster! A dozen live gulf shrimp fetch $4.00, they taste way better than the store bought stuff! BTW: Live Bait Shrimp Boats go out and return that night! so the shrimp survive alive and kicking!!;);)

OK another tip on sea food, "Scallops"! If you ever cleaned a fresh scallop you'll know the sizes are all diffrent and are oddly shaped......Not perrfect lil disks! They use either Shark meat or sting ray wings for making scallops!:eek:

Sadly most people order stuff at the Sea Food resurants and have no clue to what their fed!LOL I avoid sea food unless I catch it! and even then I still have my doubts;):rolleyes::(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOy2QCssTaI

Both great movies! Larry the Cable guy in Delta Farce was pretty good too. Ironhide would be a sweet ride, but base price on a Kodiak has got to be around 40k, ever seen an International CXT? Now theres a sweet ride!. Larry the Cable guys rig in health inspector is funny, reminds me alot of the trucks i see from some of the "more country/redneck" kids from school. The way the drive in the parking lot and park will make you laugh, youd think theyre driving some kind of race car the way they try and get air over the speed bumps. Alot of them dont get parking privilidges for very long :D

I dont really plan on making my truck very flashy at all. Aftermarket rims and tires, maybe a small brush guard if i really get excited, but thats about all i would really do. Theres a couple of seniors at school who attempted to customize his S10, apparently he ran out of money. His truck bed is one color, hood a different, and his doors and quarter panels are even different colors. Oh but dont worry, you can hear his stereo from the end of the driveway, and its slammed to the ground so that it bottoms out over the speed bumps, aftermarket tires, and for all i know he might even have a bottle in it. I love high school, so many role models to follow :rolleyes:

All I done to my truck was add 305's with the 16" rims........Man I get tons of compliments on the plain old work truck. You can put a nice set of wheels on a old rust bucket and people go nuts!:confused::rolleyes: Bing is ultra cool!;):D

I like the part when the wrecker guy was appogizing for the condition how he found the truck!LOL's that was funny!

Great thing about old rust buckets you don't have to worry about theft! I had an old Ford that nobody wanted! And if it got stolen....well the theif would have been gassed:D Right Terry(BNSF971)!:D:D He can tell you stories of me showing up to his house not remembering how I got there:eek::eek:!

I'm listening to 'Car Talk' on NPR as I'm putting this post together. Never did get a chance to do any modeling yesterday. I had to get the laundry done then take care of some errands including a trip to the pharmacy. I looked at the oil change date on the car last night. It's a bit behind and I can't afford to get the oil changed this month. The oil is still very clean so a filter change is in order. I'll be able to get the oil changed next month. The car is 16 years old, has over 300,000 miles on it, still starts on the first crank every time and still runs relatively well. Seems it's in better shape than I am so I'm not complaining much. Tomorrow is food stamp day so I'll be going to Wal-Mart to do the second half of my grocery shopping. I buy the first $60 worth when my monthly check comes in and the food stamps cover the remaining $60 worth. It doesn't help much that the prices keep going up higher every month. One good thing though. My electric for last month was $72. That's what it should be for this time of year. The previous two months bills were insane. Both were for over $120 each. My power bill had NEVER been that high during the last ten years even if the heater had been left on high or the AC set on max. The main problem we've had here lately is that the power company for this area is in the process of changing to new ownership. The power we've been getting the last few months is being supplied by another electric company and they apparently saw a neat way to make some extra money. They charged our power DOUBLE for for the power. Naturally that gets passed on to the customers. This came up in the news recently and the company in question is going to be under investigation for price gouging, which is illegal in this state. Quite a few gas stations did it back in 2005 after Rita came through and gas prices shot up to around $10 a gallon in places. All those stations got hit with big fines and some had to close because of it. I'm hoping that the aforementioned power company gets hit with some big fines for their outright highway robbery from people who have no choice but to pay if they want power.

I'm listening to 'Car Talk' on NPR as I'm putting this post together. Never did get a chance to do any modeling yesterday. I had to get the laundry done then take care of some errands including a trip to the pharmacy. I looked at the oil change date on the car last night. It's a bit behind and I can't afford to get the oil changed this month. The oil is still very clean so a filter change is in order. I'll be able to get the oil changed next month. The car is 16 years old, has over 300,000 miles on it, still starts on the first crank every time and still runs relatively well. Seems it's in better shape than I am so I'm not complaining much. Tomorrow is food stamp day so I'll be going to Wal-Mart to do the second half of my grocery shopping. I buy the first $60 worth when my monthly check comes in and the food stamps cover the remaining $60 worth. It doesn't help much that the prices keep going up higher every month. One good thing though. My electric for last month was $72. That's what it should be for this time of year. The previous two months bills were insane. Both were for over $120 each. My power bill had NEVER been that high during the last ten years even if the heater had been left on high or the AC set on max. The main problem we've had here lately is that the power company for this area is in the process of changing to new ownership. The power we've been getting the last few months is being supplied by another electric company and they apparently saw a neat way to make some extra money. They charged our power DOUBLE for for the power. Naturally that gets passed on to the customers. This came up in the news recently and the company in question is going to be under investigation for price gouging, which is illegal in this state. Quite a few gas stations did it back in 2005 after Rita came through and gas prices shot up to around $10 a gallon in places. All those stations got hit with big fines and some had to close because of it. I'm hoping that the aforementioned power company gets hit with some big fines for their outright highway robbery from people who have no choice but to pay if they want power.

To Hell with the Gasoline prices, My Electric Bill is killing me too!:eek: We get all kinds of excuses on why the bill keeps going up and how to conserve electricity. The More WE try to conserve the Higher my bill seems to go!:mad: I use the same if not less than I did 2 years ago, and my bill every month is around $175 to $190 every month:eek::mad: It seems the electric company need $200 a month from me regardless how much I use!:mad:

I'll finish this rant later........I just got another call out CUL:D

[edit]
I'm back, got another account! Ya Me!!!!!

Now back to my rant.......

Well I'm sick of the high electric bills, and conserving it seems to hurt us more??? Regardless my cooling bills this year is going to kill me, we tried to hold out on the AC as long as possible.......needless to say it came back on last night, Summer is here!

Last edited by a moderator:
To Hell with the Gasoline prices, My Electric Bill is killing me too!:eek: We get all kinds of excuses on why the bill keeps going up and how to conserve electricity. The More WE try to conserve the Higher my bill seems to go!:mad: I use the same if not less than I did 2 years ago, and my bill every month is around $175 to $190 every month:eek::mad: It seems the electric company need $200 a month from me regardless how much I use!:mad:

I'll finish this rant later........I just got another call out CUL:D

[edit]
I'm back, got another account! Ya Me!!!!!

Now back to my rant.......

Well I'm sick of the high electric bills, and conserving it seems to hurt us more??? Regardless my cooling bills this year is going to kill me, we tried to hold out on the AC as long as possible.......needless to say it came back on last night, Summer is here!

BTW--we here in Ontariario get to pay another 10% more on top of what we already pay PLUS we now get to pay the Harmonized Sales Tax on TOP of what we already pay!! On top of this we pay a debt recovery tax as well as a series of surtaxes and surcharges. Think you'll conserve energy?--go right on ahead---they'll knick that from you by adding more fees on top!!:mad::mad:

Well, enough of my ranting and raving:eek::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Grab you pitch forks and torches!

The only thing I see endangered by all this here is the Green Backs in our wallets!

Where we lived in Kalifornia, our electric bill would have been pretty reasonable without all the add-on fees and charges. My electric bill was about $50 a month, but after adding in the fuel charge ($25) franchise fee ($4.95) state utility tax (about 15%), and "reliability charge" ($10), my $50 bill was $98.

From what I heard BP did not even have contingency plans in place because they thought that what happened would not happen. OOPS.
Isn't that what happened to the guys that designed the Titanic???:rolleyes:

Not picking specifically on our friends from Great Britain, but their failures seem to be configured to Biblical proportions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back