Coffee Shop 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff, My Big Husqavarna has got 200 hrs on it and it's starting to smoke like an old alco going up hill pulling a long train:D I had to switch to a thicker oil to combat the heat some. The mower looks like it's going to die but sounds good just the smoke issue make it look worse than it is. ;):rolleyes:
Chris, try changing the oil in the Husky, and refill with Mobil 1. I have a Honda generator that smoked some under load, and the change to synthetic oil stopped the smoking. It hasn't used any oil since, either, though that may be a coincidence. I consider it $6 well spent.

Oh, after reading through here, I realized I didn't tell you about the swap meet last weekend. Stuff was going cheep, at least in HO scale. I bought a Spectrum J 4-8-4 with a Tsunami decoder and sound for $40. The sound isn't exactly synced, but it sounds good nonetheless. I also picked up a Broadway Limited C30-7 in NW maroon for $40. It's the non-sound, non DCC version, but I was able to pick up a Digitrax sound-adaptable decoder for another $20. I also got a single Rivarossi N&W Pullman car and a professionally custom painted N&W coal hoppwe doe $5 each, and a RibbonRail track cleaning car for $2. Everything has Kadees. Of course, there was no scenery material of structures, which is what I went there looking for. :rolleyes:
Maybe I'll find a 4x8 layout on Craigslist...:D
We are planning to go to Roanoke on Saturday, there's supposed to be a shindig involving the O Winston Link museum and the Virginia Transportation Museum next door. It's only 90 miles away, which may explain the tons of N&W and SOU stuff around here. If we do go, I'll try taking a few pictures, as it's the first time in something like 15 years the J has been moved, and it'll be next door at the OWL museum.

Jeffrey, Is that a Whelan Edge strobe bar? We were starting to have trouble getting parts and strobe tubes before we switched to LED's. Only about $6,000 for a full-size unit, so time to pick up the next time your SSI check comes in. :rolleyes:
Yep, that's an old Whelen Edge strobe bar. I pulled it off a cop car that had been rolled. the bar was pretty smashed up. None of the lenses were left and only 3 strobes wuth one functional power pack. Cost me $500 to have it rebuilt with all used lenses, Eight 90 watt strobes, 2 flashers, 2 take downs and 2 alley lights. Two power packs were installed. It looks almost new. If you look really close you can see that the bar is bent downward in the middle just a bit. The cops can have their LED's, you can see this baby for miles!

I had some real fun one night. I was in a hurry to get home so I took a shortcut through the bad part of town. For some reason the street corners kept clearing off when I approached. Can't imagine why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning--

Lovely day for us'uns then it'll be back to cold and wet and windy and yuck for the weekend--:eek::eek::(

I'm starting to weave together the conveyors and staircases and such for the New Life mill and so the mill will be together by next weekend--:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jim My parents did the sailing thing when I was about 11 years old--we did cross the Atlantic in February of all things but we survived:):)---don't want to go through that again though:eek: Actually the worst we had was getting pitchpoled by a Typhoon in the Java Straits--one minute I was in my bunk, the next was dancing on the bulkhead of the cabin watching several cans floating by me in mid air:eek::eek:

Good morning folks

It was 68 F on the way in this morning. Our high will be 80 F.

I have been down and out the last couple of days. I went to the doctor on Tuesday and he said I had a bad case of bronchitis. I basically spent Tuesday and most of yesterday in bed as a result. While I feel better I am still somewhat rundown. I am not coughing as much and when I do it not as severe as it was earlier in the week. I was able to host our Cub Scout pack’s Arrow of Light and Crossover Ceremony last night. Once I got home I crashed. I made it to work today and we’ll see how long I last.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good morning. It's 58 and partly cloudy. The high is due to be 89 and it will be mostly sunny (just another way of saying partly cloudy).

Well, after all the work I put in yesterday on mowing the lawn and installing the first 2 of their 6 digital cable adapters my parents treated me to dinner at Wagon Master, a local steak house. We all had the same thing. 8 ounce sirloin, half rack of ribs with potatoes and a side salad. It was a very good dinner. My mother likes her meat extremely well done. When her sirloin was brought out she cut a small piece off and saw a trace of pink inside. She told the waiter to take it back and burn it until it stopped mooing. When it was brought back it was done through and through just the way she likes it. I couldn't help but remember when we lived in France she had the poor chef at a sidewalk cafe crying after she had him burn a steak for her. Over there the meat is seared on the outside and pink inside. She would have none of it! It would be cooked all the way through or else her famous Cherokee temper was going to seek out the nearest target standing under a chef's hat. She was known as the lady who liked charred beef and could leave a chef looking like a terrified cat facing a tub of soapy water. It wasn't long before they had her preferences down pat. I think there was a day of celebration at that cafe in La Rochelle when we left to go to Germany. Without a doubt word was flashed ahead to the chef's in the area we were going to. The very first place we went to they knew exactly what she wanted.

Afternoon :)
Jim The ash we got yesterday was quite thick murky stuff, my cars got a good brown sludge all over it after it rained this morning, it certainly brought a lot of it down.

another SSDD kind of day

Chris- Tell your clients the smoke is not the mower, but comes from you working so hard for them.:D
Pure BS, but they like to hear it.

Good morning. It's 58 and partly cloudy. The high is due to be 89 and it will be mostly sunny (just another way of saying partly cloudy).

Well, after all the work I put in yesterday on mowing the lawn and installing the first 2 of their 6 digital cable adapters my parents treated me to dinner at Wagon Master, a local steak house. We all had the same thing. 8 ounce sirloin, half rack of ribs with potatoes and a side salad. It was a very good dinner. My mother likes her meat extremely well done. When her sirloin was brought out she cut a small piece off and saw a trace of pink inside. She told the waiter to take it back and burn it until it stopped mooing. When it was brought back it was done through and through just the way she likes it. I couldn't help but remember when we lived in France she had the poor chef at a sidewalk cafe crying after she had him burn a steak for her. Over there the meat is seared on the outside and pink inside. She would have none of it! It would be cooked all the way through or else her famous Cherokee temper was going to seek out the nearest target standing under a chef's hat. She was known as the lady who liked charred beef and could leave a chef looking like a terrified cat facing a tub of soapy water. It wasn't long before they had her preferences down pat. I think there was a day of celebration at that cafe in La Rochelle when we left to go to Germany. Without a doubt word was flashed ahead to the chef's in the area we were going to. The very first place we went to they knew exactly what she wanted.

When I order a steak I tell the waiter, "Tell the cook to Use two matches to cook it and bring me a hammer just incase it moves!":D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back