Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Jeffrey,
Just a thought on the charger. Does it automatically kick on or do you manually turn it on? On some of the automatic ones if they dont sense enough voltage they wont kick on automatically. In that case you need to use a manual charger to get the voltage up a bit. At least thats the way some forklift battery chargers work.
If there's power in the battery (which there is) the charger is supposed to kick on. It hasn't. I thought about using a standard battery charger but the manual says not to.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

DSCN0798.jpg

Good morning folks.

It's finally raining here in southern Minnesota. Since I just washed and waxed my car it had to happen! Oh well, the point of waxing it was to keep it nice and rust free this winter. At least the interior is still clean.

I also managed to shampoo the entire upstairs carpets, including one flight of stairs. It was pretty dirty so it took a while. I would have done the basement too but the car needed attention. Who knows when I'll get a chance to do that on a day off again. Come to think of it, who knows when I'll have a day off again? :( The good news is I ran a train in a circle while I talked to my Father on the phone! That was the extent of model railroading yesterday.

I have a very busy week again so I suppose it's time to head to work.
Have a great day everyone.

Good Morning

Weather be sunny and a little milder today....high of 75F expected. Tomorrow will be rainy and a high of 62F....:)

Having some people over to go over some figures today for a proposed business I'm looking into. This oughta be fun....:eek::rolleyes:

Also going to see what the beeeeep caused the hole in the garden yesterday...setting trap outside the hole to see what comes out....:rolleyes:

Good morning. It's 69° with 98% humidity. There's a high chance of rain and isolated thunderstorms. The high will be 82°.
cond90-1.jpg

Weather this morning is running moderate to heavy on rain and thunderstorms moving NNW across all of Louisiana increasing to heavy to severe by afternoon. Looks like the weather for southern Arkansas may be interesting to say the least. Link to current radar.

Woke up at midnight in the middle of a full-blown sugar crash. Blood sugar reading was 31, high heart rate, blood pressure almost non-existent. Concentration was totally out the window. Even trying to concentrate was confusing. A quick meal of chili with beans got my blood sugar reading back up in the 110-120 range and well out of danger. Spent the next couple of hours watching 'Unstoppable' and monitoring my vital signs. Hope I don't have a repeat of that in the near future.

This morning I've already replaced the couplers on an Athearn PS 2003 2-bay covered hopper (ATSF 87263 patched to L&A). It had McHenry shelf couplers which are shelf couplers in name only. They don't actually work as such. I changed them out with Kadee #119 scale head shelf couplers which work like the real thing and lock the couplers together. The McHenry's had a penchant for uncoupling and being a constant source or irritation. They look good but are good for little else.

Plans for today: I have none other than staying in, running trains and watching movies. I just watched a thirty unit freight pass by in front of me.

DSCN0764.jpg

Good morning folks

It was 49 F as I headed out onto the confused highways. Our high will be 78 F.

I have been reading the forum even though I have not posted in a while. I have a bunch of half written posts that for various reasons never got finished or posted.

It has been a crazy month or so. The kids are back in school. Both are playing sports; daughter is the starting setter for varsity volleyball and son is playing freshman football. My son got a late start since there was a lot of miscommunication this year. Things were so bad at one point he was kicked out of school because they lost his registration paperwork (along with another 200 freshman; basically 20% of the class). It took me three hours one morning to get the mess straighten out. Apparently a box containing the paperwork was never set to the high school from the central registration office.

My daughter volleyball has been interesting. She went from being a hitter to starting setter. The team is playing the best it has in over 5 years. They are 2-4 which equals the best output in years. They still have half the season to go. They have won sets over teams that they had not beaten in 10 years. They still have issues with confidence which has cost them a few matches. She has gotten her name in the newspaper three times for her playing. On the recruiting side of things we have been busy. We have had visits to upstate New York, Maryland, and several within Pennsylvania. We have visits scheduled for Maryland and North Jersey. There is also a list of visits to be planned to Ohio, Pittsburgh, upstate New York, Virginia, northern New Jersey, and a few other locales. Things picked up even more after September 1st when Division 1 schools could start talking to her.

My son announced that he would like to play football in college. My wife and I just looked at each other with that “Oh no just when we thought it couldn’t get worse look.” College recruiting is a huge time consumer for not only the recruit but their family. At least this time around we will some knowledge of what to do and where to start.

As usual for this time of year work has picked up. Everyone wants to get the projects out by the end of the calendar year. I have a bunch of projects to review sitting on my desk now.

My wife is still recovering from her fall in Florida back in June. She is doing therapy but is still experiencing a lot of pain in her back.

My son and I did look over the layout the other day and discussed a couple of ideas for some of the unfinished areas. I keep hoping that I will have some time to work on them. Of course now I again have to clean off the workbench. It seems everyone likes to use it to store tools that they don’t know where else to put.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just thinking the last two weeks of september must be a stressful time for many of us. There are no holidays to look forward to until halloween.....and even that may not be an official holiday if memory serves. Why such a long gap in between breaks here anyway? Who is running this calender anyway? :confused:

Need to see my doctor for the first time in a long while.....and I happen to call today right when his schedule is full this week then he is going on a two week vacation and won't be back till october 9th!? And a substitute doctor won't do me any good because I need my doctors knowledge of my medical history for an important meeting I have to go to. This really eats the bark off my tree.....to put it mildly. Grrrrrrr! :(

Not sure if more coffee will help this dilemma or not? :p

Mike

Good afternoon. Not much happening weather-wise in Maryland, just typical Fall temps.

Now that school is back in session, my free time has diminished accordingly. My youngest daughter decided to join her school's Drama Club. But they have all their practices/rehearsals at a different school, and us parents [of course] have to provide the transportation. Where I used to have a few extra hours each Tuesday, now all that time is spent picking up my 14yr-old daughter and taking her to Drama Club, then going 20 miles in the opposite direction to get my 17yr-old and bring her home, then go back to pickup my 14yr-old from Drama Club.

At least when first frost comes around, I won't need to mow my lawn anymore for this season and that will gain me an extra 3 hours per week!

On the layout front, I finished revising all my carcards - and then it occurred to me that I need pockets for them around the layout. And that's not really possible without a fascia; so this evening I'll stop by Home Depot and pickup some masonite and begin installing it. Someday this layout will be ready for primetime...:rolleyes:

Time for me to call it a night. Today was busier than I thought it would be. I didn't have much time to myself. My father called this morning to say the WE were going to be going to some places in town. Post office first to send some things off. Next was Vernon Medical to have the power chairs charger checked out. It checked out as good. They said if the batteries were too low the charger wouldn't detect them and wouldn't put out a charge. We then went to several stores get some things then to the nursing home to see my mother. Afterward we went to Buffet City for lunch then back home. We took the power chair apart and removed the batteries. I put a Smart Charger deep cycle battery charger on the first one on 2 amp charge then went home to get some rest. Last nights close call plus today's activity had left me quite tired. I went back later to check the progress of the charge. My father had left for work by then. He had hooked the first battery back up and put the charger on the second battery. When I looked it wasn't showing a charge or even a percentage of a charge. I made sure all the settings on the charger were right but still no change. If the battery was charged the charger would show the percentage of the charge. It shows nothing so I suspect we have a bad battery. No surprise as they're only guaranteed for a year. A new battery will cost over $100. Tomorrow I'll put my meter on the battery and see what kind of tale it tells. Too bad I don't have one that can check for load. See y'all tomorrow.

P1011614.jpg

Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

coffee-pouring111.png

:cool:

frankfort2.jpg

NKP shops and roundhouse, Frankfort IN-1957

Tipton.gif

TIPTON IN

Good morning. It's 69°. Humidity is 100%. Rainfall this morning has been 0.01". Mostly cloudy, isolated showers, high 82°.
cond20.jpg

I have to check the rear battery on the power chair. Pretty sure it's kaput. It wouldn't take a charge or show % of charge yesterday. Other than that nothing is planned.

P3180078.jpg

Good morning folks.

It's 37 degrees here right now with a high in the low 60's. Perfect weather for selling men's clothing!

I've been informed that I get to leave work at three today so I think I'll play with trains this afternoon. I think I'll start by disassembling my Mantua Pacific and see if I can shim the motor to stop the grinding noise. Right now it almost sounds like an old Athearn going down the track. I didn't spend all that time rebuilding it to have a coffee grinder!

I may also have to shampoo the basement carpets this afternoon. Something tells me I'll not have time for both so I have a decision to make! Since the trains have been neglected for over a month I think I know which activity will win.:D

Time to head to work.
Have a great day everyone.

Good morning folks

It was a balmy 68 F when I hit the wet pavement this morning. Our high is going to be 78 F and we are supposed to get some heavy rain with high winds later today.

Not much happening last night. Just had to run dad’s taxi service back and forth to school for volleyball and football practice. I spent some time working on video highlights of my daughter’s last two weeks worth of matches. These college coaches are so demanding on wanting film updates. My son’s football team had their first full hitting practice. He said it was interesting. Apparently four players were injured and will most likely miss the next game.

Tonight my daughter is supposed to go see a college volleyball game. One of the teams that are recruiting her is playing its only match in our neck of the woods. It should be interesting. The team is rebuilding and has four freshmen starting. They are going up against the 19th ranked team in Division 3; a team that went to the D3 Final Four. Even the coach says it is going to be a test of his team’s mettle and how they perform under pressure. For her it should be a good read on the coach. Everyone looks good when they are winning; what is important is how they handle losing and bad situations. The coaches are interested in how she handles those situations so she is interested in how they handle them.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good afternoon from hot Central Calif.,
It seems as though it's cooling down a bit. still feels fairly hot. The weather says it's 90.1*
this afternoon and will get down to 64* tonight so it ought to be fairly comfortable sleeping.

I haven't been doing too much on the layout, been detained getting my Eclipses turn signals fixed which I thought was going to be a big job but it turned out to be fairly easy which was a blessing. putting the plastic housing around the steering column turned out to be a bigger challenge but a little masking tape to hold the screws on the screw driver solved the problem.

I finally got smart too and started using the Rain bird to water the 30x30 ft main section of the front lawn which seems to aide the new grass growth which is good.

Did I mention that about two weeks ago I went out to water the lawn using the the hose and as I got close to the facucet I could hear a distinct buzzing sound which alluded me for a moment but as I moved just slightly it even got louder and then I knew I was confronted with a Rattle Snake. So I went back in the house and got my Glock
which has a combination Led Light & Laser on it and did him in on the second shot from about 5' away. The first shot I thought I had the Laser adjusted but it was for a muich greater distance so then I used the sights on the pistol and that took his head off.

It scared my poor cat though as it was just to the right of the 3' porch inset in front of the bathroom wall.

Well, it time to check the watering and fix some dinner and hope a lady friend gets back to me?

Good evening from tropical west Louisiana. It's a pleasant 76°. Chance of rain tonight seems to be nil.

Checked the batteries on the power chair today. Seems that they're both toast. Won't hold a charge for long. So naturally they have to be replaced. My father isn't a happy camper about that but oh well. I don't live under his roof so I don't have to listen to him gripe. Picked up a few things in town today. Among them a bottle of super glue gel, a dust pan (been needing one for years) and a half pound roll of 60/40 lead solder. Radio shack still sells the stuff. I got fed up with the no-lead crap years ago. It just doesn't seem to work right for me. I also got a new backup battery for my alarm clock. The old one was down to six volts and the clock would lose it's memory when the power went out. Got a two-pack so I'll have a spare on hand. Probably forget where I put it when I need it.

Tomorrow I may be able to mow the grass. It needs it. I have to fix the tractor first. I need to install an idler pulley and a starter relay.

Well, time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P3110075.jpg

Good Morning...

Good Morning! from Tipton IN.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

coffee-pouring111.png

:cool:

fishersdepot.png

New Fishers depot on the former NKP (LE&W) IMC Dist.

Tipton.gif

TIPTON IN

Good morning. Maryland weather is very quiet this morning, unlike yesterday.

I picked up some masonite sheets on Monday, as planned, and sliced them into 6" wide strips. Tuesdays are 'short' days for me at work, so that gives me an extra 2-3 hours to work on the layout. Picking up my daughters from school was an absolute adventure - it was like driving 15 miles thru Niagra Falls. The visibility was horrible, maybe 200-300 feet at best, and woe to any driver whose tires didn't have plenty of tread left on them! Amazingly I-70 hadn't gotten bad enough [yet] with commuter traffic, so we were able to arrive home by 4:00pm to...a power outage! :mad:

After 3 hours in darkness I put some gas into the generator and started 'er up - 20 minutes later the [normal] power came back on. So I wound up going to my local Ace and buying some gasoline stabilizer specially formulated for ethanol-diluted fuel and putting that into the generator's gas tank. Hopefully I got it mixed around enough...

Needless to say, I accomplished nothing on the layout. I suppose there may be time next weekend...after I finish the yard work at my house and my MIL's!

Someone once said, "Nothing is as useful as a train. They can haul a lot of people and goods......and they look nice too". :)

Mike

Back