1/87th Vehicles

The best way to know if something is the correct size is keep a scale ruler on you at all times. I think as time passes you get an eye for what is the correct size. I say if you can return an item get it and if it's out of scale you just return it but if you can't return an item then be sure of yourself. That's how I judge items I'm not sure about.
Dave

Sometimes its difficult. I think many out there are just accustomed to what an HO scale vehicle should look like. I know im not one of them either. I have a good size collection of 1:87 vehicles now and even some vehicles I see in the stores are sometimes hard to tell. But most of the time are easy actually.

90% of the vehicles you find in blister packs and sets from MB and HW are always 1:64. But some of the time, you run across some that are actually scaled out of 1:64 enough that they can work for HO. Trucks, tractors, construction equipment, are perfect examples. They are technically smaller then 1:64 because like in real life. 1:64 construction equipment is much bigger so they are forced to scale them down so they can be packaged.

I need to buy some 1/87th cars so I have something to compare to. I bought eight CAT tractors in 87th scale so that is all I have to compare to. The 1/64th cars compare to those but in reality the cars should be smaller.

Waredbear- Go to your LHS or on-line and purchase one or two HO (1/87) scale METAL CLASSIC brand cars. They are accurately modeled and fairly detailed for moderately priced vehicles with a good variety to choose from.
You can then keep one in your pocket to compare the offerings at wally mart and Dollar General.
You just have to comparison shop and decide what is "good enuff" for YOUR layout.:confused:

on the 1/87th vehicle notes any one going to build a new route87 module? i saw the test this past weekend and getting tempted to build one

<bump>

WalMart sell any modern HO tanker semi's? I'm looking for something that would carry food additives or plastic pellets. I've seen a few Model Power ones at the train show but they're at least $10 each and labeled for orange juice and such. Can't find a generic (unlabeled) one.

Tnx.

<bump>

WalMart sell any modern HO tanker semi's? I'm looking for something that would carry food additives or plastic pellets. I've seen a few Model Power ones at the train show but they're at least $10 each and labeled for orange juice and such. Can't find a generic (unlabeled) one.

Tnx.

They may in 1/64 (Hot wheels and Matchbox size) but they have been out of any sort of 1/87 stuff for quite a while now. Its doubtfull they will ever stock that size collectible anymore.

Walmart started selling 1/87th vehicles in Aug. of 2005 & did real good in some area's, but real bad in other area's. The starting price was $1.64 ea. & the price stayed at that for the 1st year or so. Then in my store after Christmas they dropped the price to a buck ea. & then when they didn't sell after 3 months they dropped the price to 2 for a dollar. They didn't get any at my store(Iwas working for them then) for about 6 months. Then they started getting the Fresh Cherries right before Christmas in the sets & singles.
The same thing happened all over again. Not selling & the price went way down. The only thing they still sell in 1/87th is the Nascar vehicles & they are just a little overscale for me. I have bought about 150 of the regular cars at 2 for a dollar & a bunch at reg. price when they 1st came out. On Ebay they are going for $5.00 & up if you can find them.
The 1/87th Cat vehicles went the same way. JD only had a few small tractors. That's the history of WM 1/87th vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to buy some 1/87th cars so I have something to compare to. I bought eight CAT tractors in 87th scale so that is all I have to compare to. The 1/64th cars compare to those but in reality the cars should be smaller.
It could work out useful to buy cheap 1/64 scale vehicles, to use as space fillers until you can find HO scale cars or trucks to replace them on your layout.Of course they can always be passed along afterwards to any local kids:)
Ron

Just incase any of you are concidering using some MB trucks for kitbashing fodder I submit the following picture to help you decide if the cabs are close enough to HO scale for you.

mytrucs1.jpg

Starting at top left is a modified Hot Wheels collectable custom crew cab,top right is a Athearn Kenworth to show size.Bottom right is a MB Ford that they have done just about every utility company on this rock,bottom left is a MB Chevy that MB uses for a snowplow with a salt (or sand) box on it.

The common denominator for all these trucks is the Athearn frame (wish I could find the two axle version :()

A-Line and Herpa/Promotex have the wheels for these beasties.

Hope somebody can find a use for the pic cause I would like to see some others trucks built using the MB truck cabs.:D

Look what I found today in the Hotwheels area in my local WM.
This is HO Scale. I bought all of them.(4)

Hey Guys Matchbox has a new parcel van out called Speedy X-press it is #60 of the 2010 releases it is very close to 1:87 maybe 1:88, or 1:89 it is in the .99cent line. The pad printing comes off easily with a magic eraser and then they can be turned into FedEx or FedEx Ground vans. The 1st runs are white.

Hey Guys Matchbox has a new parcel van out called Speedy X-press it is #60 of the 2010 releases it is very close to 1:87 maybe 1:88, or 1:89 it is in the .99cent line. The pad printing comes off easily with a magic eraser and then they can be turned into FedEx or FedEx Ground vans. The 1st runs are white.

Imma have to go get me some of thoose. If there is a KB toys by yu as well you can pick up some modelpower 1:87 cars from there. Most of them are close down out here in los angeles but I bought a lot of them before the great diaster

I got a new bulldozer today, a Liebherr 764 made by Siku. I,m thinking of pulling it apart,so I can paint some extra details,and then spray it with matt varnish, as its rather glossy straight from the box. I,ve put it alongside my SD70m so you can get an idea of its size.
Ron

I was at the K-Mart in Camden SC today. They have both the Peterbilt and Kenworth 1/87 trucks (cab only) for $3.89 ea

I went into the local Asda supermarket today, and found a pair of the Speedy X-Press vans, plus I got a trio of fork trucks and a small water tank truck,all of which were new to me.
The forks need trimming down a little, as they are too long, since I took the photo, I,ve painted some extra details, like the head, tail, and running lights.
Ron

I went into the local Asda supermarket today, and found a pair of the Speedy X-Press vans, plus I got a trio of fork trucks and a small water tank truck,all of which were new to me.
The forks need trimming down a little, as they are too long, since I took the photo, I,ve painted some extra details, like the head, tail, and running lights.
Ron

Ha. I have the same exact tanker truck in your photo .. and I picked it up today. It looks to be in the same weight range/size as a GMC 9500 Heavy Duty Truck .. in fact I was attempting (without any success) to find the width an height of the 9500 to compare to the tanker.

Back