1/87th Vehicles

I went into the local Asda supermarket today, and found a pair of the Speedy X-Press vans, plus I got a trio of fork trucks and a small water tank truck,all of which were new to me.
The forks need trimming down a little, as they are too long, since I took the photo, I,ve painted some extra details, like the head, tail, and running lights.
Ron

Are those items Matchbox?

Are those items Matchbox?

Yep. It measures 1.140" cross the front fenders and high .. that scales to about 100" full size.

Here is it is online ..

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/matchbox-mbx-tanker-48-construction-2010-25284897.htm

1266345877-21132-0.jpg

Edit: Here it is out of the box. I'm going to see how well I can detail this sucker. Have already filed off the passenger side mirror .. figured I'd better take a pic now. I'm curious to see what it looks like under that thick paint .. a little soak in brake fluid should get rid of that.

Image1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought myself a Siku crane today, from the local toystore. Its a Liebherr LTM1400 which has a capacity of 400 tons.Mainly diecast, with some plastic parts, its about as heavy as a HO loco.

Have been doing some work on the Mattel MBT Tanker from post #1202 .. filed off the mirrors and then stripped the paint with brake fluid (need to put her back and let sit overnight to remove the final 'bits'). Did a little filling here and there to remove casting marks (needs a bit more) .. then am going to sand some (sandpaper glued to matchstick?). Thats all well and good .. but I really need an airbrush to slap some 'scale' paint on her instead of the gloop that Mattel had on her.

th_Image2.jpg

Lookin' good Ed,How much trouble was it to file off the mirrors?

If I may offer a painting suggestion since I gather that you don't own a airbrush.Use rattle cans but warm them up first in hot water.Prime lightly to start then apply several coats of paint allowing it to dry between coats.

Besure to keep the can warm as it will cool rapidly once you start spraying.

Good luck with your project and be sure to post pictures of the finished truck.

Fileing wasn't that hard .. but I had to be very careful. I put masking tape around the base of the mirrors and filed until the file started to scrub the tape. From that point, removed the tape and filed until it just started hitting the paint .. then .. verrrry carefully. Figure with those out of the way it should be possible to scratch up some that look a lot better. I am also removing the lights and bars on the roof of the truck .. for some reason .. shrug .. want 'em gone.

I was actually going to purchase an airbrush payday/tomorrow .. but last evening the old CD player I was using for my 'sound system' for my computer died .. always something!

I'll take the advice on using the 'rattle can' if I don't pick up an airbrush. I'm going to see if okiecrip621 (member) who lives in same town I do has an airbrush. I'll buy him a burger and shake .. :)

I'll take the advice on using the 'rattle can' if I don't pick up an airbrush. I'm going to see if okiecrip621 (member) who lives in same town I do has an airbrush. I'll buy him a burger and shake .. :)

With the price of fast food these days the money for that meal would put you well on the way to a Harbor Freight airbrush. :D

With the price of fast food these days the money for that meal would put you well on the way to a Harbor Freight airbrush. :D

Except ... just did a 'map thing' .. and 'my' Harbor Freight is 32.8 mi from my house. That's 65.6 mi round trip. with gas running around $3.00 a gallon .. and about 24 mpg .. darn!!

they have them at hobby lobby on forest drive in columbia off i-77 next to sams club and hobby town also has them.

Yeah. I was looking at the one in Hobby Town the other day .. a Paasche and compressor. Thing is .. I am told that the one at Harbor Freight is actually a good brush .. and of course the prices are better. The problem there is that if it craps out on you it will be next to impossible to get parts (China). The answer there of course is to get a warranty if offered. All things considered though .. a Badger or Paasche would be better long-time ..

Yeah. I was looking at the one in Hobby Town the other day .. a Paasche and compressor. Thing is .. I am told that the one at Harbor Freight is actually a good brush .. and of course the prices are better. The problem there is that if it craps out on you it will be next to impossible to get parts (China). The answer there of course is to get a warranty if offered. All things considered though .. a Badger or Paasche would be better long-time ..

I remember reading on here about that HF airbrush is pretty much the same as a badger anthem and replacement parts from badger will work!! I can't remember what post I was reading it in maybe someone else can provide more info

Later,

DEVLYN

Update. I was at Hobby Town earlier. The Paasche brush and compressor run about $200. The HF are about half that.

they have them at hobby lobby on forest drive in columbia off i-77 next to sams club and hobby town also has them.

Yes, but like he found out. Its much more expensive to get through these places then at HF. Especially when the HF unit appears to be the same brush as the more expensive counterpart. I plan to get one at HF soon too.

The Harbor Freight model is a copy or licensed version of the Badger Anthem - don't know which, but the parts are interchangeable. My airbrush has been working flawlessly for a year, as has the compressor. As far as being made in China, guess where the Badger brushes are made? :)

At the "local" WM they sometimes have 1"87 vehicles by Motor Max under the name Fresh Cherries,lots of pintos and other small cars,race cars,and the ones that matter to me are a 56 Ford 1/2 ton and a 40 Ford 1/2 ton,in various colours,for $2.97,that beats the six to eight bucks the want at train shows for the same thing.
Oh yeah,"local to me is Truro or Amherst,both forty miles away

The only 1:81 they have at my Walmart are the NASCAR cars. Meh. The K-Mart across the street has the Norscot Peterbilt and Kenworth but just the tractors

Back